Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/31/2016 10:30:04 AM EDT
Days after ability to crack phone announced, they're already using the cracking ability for non national security investigation.

By James Queally and Richard Winton

March 30, 2016, 5:43 PM

The FBI has agreed to help prosecutors gain access to an iPhone 6 and an iPod that might hold evidence in an Arkansas murder trial, just days after the agency managed to hack an iPhone linked to the San Bernardino terror attacks, a local prosecutor said Wednesday.

Cody Hiland, prosecuting attorney for Arkansas' 20th Judicial District, said that the FBI's Little Rock field office had agreed to help his office gain access to a pair of locked devices owned by two of the suspects in the slayings of Robert and Patricia Cogdell.

It doesn't matter the manner in which they would have gained the ability to crack the phone and under what agreement with Apple.....once they got the crack, even if from Apple, it was open season.  
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 10:33:41 AM EDT
[#1]
No one could have predicted this.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 10:36:27 AM EDT
[#2]
my shocked face.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 10:36:40 AM EDT
[#3]
If Apple would have helped them, this is just me here, then the whole thing would have been 1 phone and hushed if and how they were able to.

Now that the fed's have supposedly did it without Apple...there will be national training on how they did it with the rest of DOJ/DHS components.

Just my 2 cents..

Link Posted: 3/31/2016 10:38:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Android > Apple
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 10:39:18 AM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If Apple would have helped them, this is just me here, then the whole thing would have been 1 phone and hushed if and how they were able to.

Now that the fed's have supposedly did it without Apple...there will be national training on how they did it with the rest of DOJ/DHS components.

Just my 2 cents..

View Quote

+1

Apple should have taken charge.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 10:40:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Just my 2 cents..

View Quote

LoL, no it would not have.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 10:41:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
my shocked face.
View Quote

FIFY
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 10:42:18 AM EDT
[#8]
It was going to happen sooner or later. Just let me know when I should pop my dust covers
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 10:42:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just my 2 cents..

Agreed
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 10:43:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Android > Apple
View Quote

Like Android is more secure
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 10:44:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 10:44:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Apple will fix the problem in their next iOS release.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 10:46:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Government over reach?

No way!
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 10:46:59 AM EDT
[#14]
If a device is seized, what stops them from being wiped remotely?

Link Posted: 3/31/2016 10:47:48 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View Quote

They have to figure out what bug they found to get into it first.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 10:47:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

I thought they put out a patch already?
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 10:47:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Apple is already working to harden their encryption and render the cracking technique used ineffective. The FBI and other agencies need to strike while the iron is hot and do the exploit while they still can.  They know that, apple knows that.

And no, Android is not superior or more secure than iOS.  Any device can be cracked.  Its only a matter of time an effort.  So it becomes a game of cat and mouse- new OS with new security requires new techniques, so then the OS is rebuilt to counter those new techniques.  The Cycle will go on.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 10:48:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 10:49:00 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm shocked, shocked I say....
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 10:50:36 AM EDT
[#20]
I believe it's all a ruse to protect Apple from terrorist and customer retribution for having given the FBI whatever it wants----like everyone else does.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 10:51:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

If the device is isolated from the network, the wipe command is never received.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 10:52:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just my 2 cents..

This, they would just have an Apple employee with stacks of phones and court orders to unlock them

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 10:52:56 AM EDT
[#23]
It will be interesting to see if Apple gets away with defying the government on this.

Even with the money and resources that Apple has, they have gotta expect a full court press of various agencies crawling up one side of their ass and down the other in upcoming years.

Also: Given that Apple has traditionally been a darling of the left and somewhat immune to the anti corporate attitude, I wonder if talking points will be distributed lumping them in with the other "evils" like Wall Street firms and oil companies.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 10:53:03 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Just my 2 cents..

View Quote

Man, I'm on this street corner, and I need some money. I'm getting my life together, but I need money to buy one more crack rock. I swear I'll be buying just one more, I'll enjoy it, then I'll get cleaned up and enroll in medical school. I just need one more crack rock, and that will be it--forever. I swear!
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 10:53:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Just my 2 cents..

View Quote

Who's to say this isn't just elaborate Kabuki theater?
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 10:54:42 AM EDT
[#26]
I am considering an apple device in sign of support.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 10:55:08 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

So, has the crack, hole, bug, patch, technique, whatever, been publicized yet?

Or are people still standing around scratching their noggins, trying to figure out what happened?

Link Posted: 3/31/2016 10:55:48 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
This.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This.

Exactly.  I think the real lesson is that no security is safe if the FBI has the phone long enough.  Eventually exploits will be found and a phone in the FBI evidence locker isn't going to get regular updates.  

Link Posted: 3/31/2016 10:56:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Just my 2 cents..

View Quote

I can see it going that way, IF they stayed true to their word.  However, in reality, they would have just used the information from Apple to create their own technique to take advantage of the exploit and then said "We didn't do it according to directions from Apple, you see....we used our own technique".  

If America was still all about the 4th of July and Mom's apple pie and you could trust them, I think Apple would have cooperated, however...Customs is going to be using this exploit on a Nike shoe counterfeiter's phone by Christmas.  Which is exactly what they were fighting.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 10:57:22 AM EDT
[#30]
I've found the perfect solution to the cell phone security problem.

I don't have one.

That said, is anyone familiar with the Blackphone 2, and how it stacks up against the Apple/Android products regarding crackability?
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 10:58:25 AM EDT
[#31]
"Just this once, for the special circumstance of terrorism and a matter of national security."

"Just this once, for providing evidence for a murder trial."

"Just this once, to recover evidence against a notorious drug dealer."

"Just this once, to gather photos of a kid with a bag of weed."

"Just this once, to retrieve a photo of a subject with a prohibited firearm magazine."

"Just this once, to show you were illegally parked."

Link Posted: 3/31/2016 11:00:06 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Just my 2 cents..

View Quote

Apple not being complicit in this doesn't really change the fact of Cellebrite's existence, or the apparent relative ease in which Cellebrite was able to breach the security of the device.  It's a plus for Apple too, as now they have the exploit and they can work on getting it fixed.  I really think it's a given that the government would have went down this path anyways.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 11:01:59 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Or are people still standing around scratching their noggins, trying to figure out what happened?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Last I read they were somehow about to bypass the 10 guess and then wipe limit and also bypass the increasing time between each guess feature. At that point they brute forced their way in by guessing password combos. Don't think Apple knows how they bypassed those features yet. Or at least they are not saying they know how. Probably won't say anything until they release the patch to close the hole.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 11:05:17 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Cops stuff it in a isolation/faraday bag.........
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 11:06:58 AM EDT
[#35]
That is comparing Apples and Oranges(Pun intended).  It should have been pretty obvious that once the FBI cracked one phone, then it would crack others.  By NOT cracking the phone for the FBI, Apple actually made the situation worse because now the FBI knows how to crack the phone.  But I do agree with Apple in that they should not be required to put a "Back Door" into their software.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 11:07:09 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Android > Apple
View Quote

because nobody needs help cracking an Android device....
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 11:08:44 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Android > Apple

Link Posted: 3/31/2016 11:09:33 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Just my 2 cents..

View Quote

It's my understanding that the FBI wanted Apple to provide a program to allow the FBI to open the phone.
They didn't ask Apple to open just this one phone for them.  
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 11:09:44 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I am going to guess, that they can deauthorize the phone from it's data plan via the carrier.

From there, they just need to keep it away from known wireless networks and open wireless networks.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 11:10:30 AM EDT
[#40]
Do we believe they suddenly became adept at cracking these phones?

What day did they accomplish this?
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 11:10:42 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not necessarily a "Bug".  If you apply enough effort then you can get into anything.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 11:11:23 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Just my 2 cents..

View Quote

Then nobody would know their ability to crack the phones. Now, at least, we know they can do it.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 11:12:14 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Just my 2 cents..

View Quote

Man that's rich!  You got jokes!  Funniest shit I've heard all day!

They'd have a stack of phones in two days to crack.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 11:13:27 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
"Just this once, for the special circumstance of terrorism and a matter of national security."

"Just this once, for providing evidence for a murder trial."

"Just this once, to recover evidence against a notorious drug dealer."

"Just this once, to gather photos of a kid with a bag of weed."

"Just this once, to retrieve a photo of a subject with a prohibited firearm magazine."

"Just this once, to show you were illegally parked."

View Quote

ZACTLY!!!

Don't forget "if you got nothing to hide, then you'll be fine".
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 11:13:50 AM EDT
[#45]
McAfee had gone on TV saying it was a simple thing to do. Maybe he ended up helping
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 11:14:38 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I've found the perfect solution to the cell phone security problem.

I don't have one.

That said, is anyone familiar with the Blackphone 2, and how it stacks up against the Apple/Android products regarding crackability?
View Quote

W...T...H??? You even land line bro? How can one even exist without being chained to a cell phone any more?
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 11:15:53 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thats what I was thinking
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 11:17:26 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Days after ability to crack phone announced, they're already using the cracking ability for non national security investigation.

By James Queally and Richard Winton

March 30, 2016, 5:43 PM

The FBI has agreed to help prosecutors gain access to an iPhone 6 and an iPod that might hold evidence in an Arkansas murder trial, just days after the agency managed to hack an iPhone linked to the San Bernardino terror attacks, a local prosecutor said Wednesday.

Cody Hiland, prosecuting attorney for Arkansas' 20th Judicial District, said that the FBI's Little Rock field office had agreed to help his office gain access to a pair of locked devices owned by two of the suspects in the slayings of Robert and Patricia Cogdell.

It doesn't matter the manner in which they would have gained the ability to crack the phone and under what agreement with Apple.....once they got the crack, even if from Apple, it was open season.  
View Quote

So the exploit also worked on the iPhone6 with the added security Apple was supposed to have in place?
I wonder if it was done with some DFU mode hack

ETA: I think if Apple had did it and shut up about it wouldn't have made the news. Now that agencies know it can be done without Apple. Every agency is going to want to know how it was done.
I suspect that the exploit to do it has been around for a while too
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 11:18:17 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just my 2 cents..

You mean like the 70+ times in the past they helped them?

Yet they decide to take a stand on a terrorist's government owned phone after a horrific terror attack that got national and world wide attention...Apple turned and used this event to break past accepted practice and appease their leftist base.

But hey, keep thinking your way with no merit. Now, Apple has no say/ input.

Link Posted: 3/31/2016 11:19:34 AM EDT
[#50]
So tell me how them cracking that Iphone is any different from them seizing and hacking computers and hard drives from criminals.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top