BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3103
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 5:39:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JakeThePimp:

Well Crap, I never confirmed with one of the Stewarts, it's second hand info and the blanks weren't marked. Could be 154, I have to question life now. Maybe I'll send them a message next week. Everyone was working a 12 Day shift on account of the Grind in.

There were a bunch of kids around, I'm not sure who was whose. Jackie sat next to me for dinner Fri and Sat, I didn't get into much family conversations. I know how running events like that can be, it takes alot out of you. I kept it light but she is very nice and personable.

The Employees and the Stewarts were all fantastic, everyone was super helpful and patient even for a slob with no skills like myself. I've read about some of the transgressions, none of that was represented in the short time I was there.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Well Crap, I never confirmed with one of the Stewarts, it's second hand info and the blanks weren't marked. Could be 154, I have to question life now. Maybe I'll send them a message next week. Everyone was working a 12 Day shift on account of the Grind in.

There were a bunch of kids around, I'm not sure who was whose. Jackie sat next to me for dinner Fri and Sat, I didn't get into much family conversations. I know how running events like that can be, it takes alot out of you. I kept it light but she is very nice and personable.

The Employees and the Stewarts were all fantastic, everyone was super helpful and patient even for a slob with no skills like myself. I've read about some of the transgressions, none of that was represented in the short time I was there.
I was incorrect, they did use 20CV on some smaller stuff like the Essential. Possible they have some on hand, I just know it isn't a favorite.

I was just curious on Owen, don't think I have seen a recent update. Aneurysm is a bitch, lucky he made it through. I'm sure recovery will be a long process.

I am not familiar with any transgressions, aside from shit customer service (Anna was super nice, everything else was a failure) and a little too generous eye in their QC before sending stuff out.

Originally Posted By 762AR25:

Oh yeah, most certainly.

We're just getting to know each other right now.

Yeah, I don't put nearly as much stock into the personality disputes or claims/rumors of theft or who is a felon and who isn't.  Most of the controversial stuff about BRK I've seen is due to them selling knives labeled as 3V that turn out to definitely not be 3V.
No idea what any of that is about. Clearly don't know BRK like I thought I did.

If they are selling stuff as 3V that isn't, I'd be willing to bet the problem is stupidity and not deceitfulness.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 6:28:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By WICOUNSEL:

No idea what any of that is about. Clearly don't know BRK like I thought I did.

If they are selling stuff as 3V that isn't, I'd be willing to bet the problem is stupidity and not deceitfulness.
View Quote
I did overhear how they get their blanks cuts and the ones coming in are clearly marked now, I think they had a tiny "3" cut out under the handle.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 6:36:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Justabulletaway:

There's several new Launch due to be released any day now.

They may be discontinuing certain models.
View Quote
Interesting. I still kinda want the little spike one. It seems like a fun little novelty. Sadly I'd probably get bored.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 6:36:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By THR-Thumper:
Put this in the Benchmade thread, but had to share here...this thing is friggin' ridiculous. I love it. That's a large seb.

https://i.imgur.com/JtR698N.jpg
View Quote
Holy shit that's a monster.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 6:41:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Here's my modest little collection I've accumulated.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 6:45:14 PM EDT
[#6]
View Quote
Manix gets shit done.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 6:50:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Finally have something to add to this thread. Just got back from the Bark River Grind in. Was pretty neat, might make a thread on it if time allows. PM me if you are going to go to one, I've got some tips as I was first timer.

Did a kitchen knife in 20CV with Elder Burl scales and a outdoor-ish knife in 154 with ziricote scales.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/87649/IMG_4340-882132.jpg
View Quote
A kitchen knife in 20cv would definitely be cool and it looks like it was ground well. Pretty cool
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 6:53:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Inquisitive_Spaniard:
Revised the handle on my friends Tanto. Full sun today was a bit much for my potatoe but I tried to get better pics...

https://i.imgur.com/an86rh5.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/80oqYrw.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/11V7PXa.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/7JcmV4l.jpg
View Quote
Scales look put together and finished well.

Really like the mosaics
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 6:55:19 PM EDT
[#9]

Love that knife. One I love friction folders and two I really love Jade G10
View Quote
Thanks!  Friction folders are growing on me. This will be my third.  I made one other and my first was a svord pesants knife.

The jade g10 is working out well because I can hold it up to the light and see through it to fit the stop pin and back spacer. I've had the slabs sitting around for years because I couldn't think of anything to put them on.  Lol
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 6:55:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Natron11:
Got a new ZT 808 on the way.
I traded some PMags for it.

There is something about the smaller ti knives that attract me.
It has the solid back spacer on it that I may change to stand-offs to change the look and make lighter.
View Quote
I've wanted an 808 off and on for a while now. Someone had a really nice looking blue and bare Ti one that I almost bought
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 6:58:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Star_Scream:

Interesting. I still kinda want the little spike one. It seems like a fun little novelty. Sadly I'd probably get bored.
View Quote
Here are the upcoming ones. The 9 and 10 are under 2" blades. I might have to have the Stiletto.

Launch 8

Attachment Attached File

Launch 9

Attachment Attached File

Launch 10

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:05:20 PM EDT
[#12]

Manix gets shit done.
View Quote
I liked my Blurple Manix so much I bought that one for work.
So far the CTS BD1 has been good to me. To hear some tell it BD1 will dull opening an envelope. I think Spyderco does a decent job with it. I tend to keep my knives stropped anyway so it probably won't matter.

You are correct, the FFG Spydies get shit done.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:14:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:53:14 PM EDT
[#14]

What. You don't like Heeters?
View Quote
Oof.

My main issue with Heeters are the fans. When the description of your knife is a giant run on sentence; where the most common word isn't "the" or "and" but the word "badass" over and over kills me.

Also they look half done. The twenty grit finish looks like they got bored and the chopper cleaver thing looks next to useless to me but different strokes.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:05:11 PM EDT
[#15]

So the move is in the works huh...hope things go smoothly.
View Quote
Thanks. It's going to be busy for a while especially with a lot of work complications.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:10:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Speaking of names that became cringe-worthy.

I'm mostly disappointed as fuck. I consider both my BM to be among the best if not iconic for every-day use tasks and carry. I can't get the money back and was tricked to think it was well spent at the time. It is pretty disgusting they had to go and for no reason hugely lessen their value to me to the point I'm ashamed to post them any more much less tout the once meaningful brand. Assholes.

Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:33:55 PM EDT
[#17]
i'm getting thirsty...
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:34:46 PM EDT
[#18]

Oof.

My main issue with Heeters are the fans. When the description of your knife is a giant run on sentence; where the most common word isn't "the" or "and" but the word "badass" over and over kills me.

Also they look half done. The twenty grit finish looks like they got bored and the chopper cleaver thing looks next to useless to me but different strokes.
View Quote
Hah. Heeters are a running joke in all the FB knife groups.
Not my style at all.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:37:23 PM EDT
[#19]
i'm getting thirsty...
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:47:38 PM EDT
[#20]
You only do that because you know I hate Seinfeld.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:50:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WIC] [#21]
You finally get a man’s knife, and you put it next to a salad.

No...wait...a fuckin salad? Not a side salad or the little garnish you push to the side, but what appears to be your main course.

dafuq...

Here’s how it’s done sonny

J/K, welcome to the cool kids club.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:55:22 PM EDT
[#22]
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/453175/JACK_1_jpg-882429.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/453175/JACK_2_jpg-882431.JPG

Only had it a minute or two......build quality and action are superb.  Razor sharp edge as well.

The bronze is really understated as well compared to the K-2.  Doesn't really look all that different from the plain satin titanium version.

I think I'll pick up a blue ano/brass inlay version while they're still available as well.  I measured the blade at exactly, dead nuts 4" long.  It has a lot of distal taper too and is reminiscent of another knife I really liked---my ZT0392BLK.  That had a double hump drop point too and was my first full titanium knife (oops, no it wasn't the ZT0450TI was) but I ended up selling it as it was only 3.6".  The clip is relieved much more than the K-2 and is just as "springy" as spring clips.  Beautiful grinds yet again too.
View Quote
That does look really nice. They're putting really nice stuff out on the market and the build quality is there.

It's going to be interesting to see if they start charging more
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:56:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By NC_Andy:
Here's my modest little collection I've accumulated.https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/63423/CE3BAAA9-037F-4754-8232-936A15773573_jpeg-882543.JPG
View Quote
Hey, a collection is a collection. Welcome aboard.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:58:48 PM EDT
[#24]
You only do that because you know I hate Seinfeld.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:04:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Not a stiletto guy. The 9 is my favorite of the three but it'd be a little toy
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:11:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Not my style at all.
View All Quotes

Oof.

Not my style at all.
Quit yapping

Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:41:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Finished the sheath. It’s only the second one I have even made. I should practice more but at least it works and it’s comfortable standing or sitting.

Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:42:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DanielT] [#28]
Thanks for posting those!

Will immediately buy a Launch 8. The 9, like the 2, looks good, but they both need some sort of stop so you don't savage your own hand when stabbing.

The 10 looks good, but not my favorite style of blade.

ETA: the blade length makes both the 9 and 10 a no go. This ain't a kali shit-show here!
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:58:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Justabulletaway] [#29]
Originally Posted By Jdub16:

Quit yapping

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ue4ySMLk9Q0
View Quote
I would have given anything to see that damn knife  close up on his hand.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 10:18:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 10:36:16 PM EDT
[#31]
https://i.imgur.com/CwW11lG.jpg
View Quote
Can't quite make out the name on the blade, but it looks similar to the ZT 0393. Hinderer?
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 10:52:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Nice.

ZT is loving Bm being dumb
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 10:56:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By DanielT:

Can't quite make out the name on the blade, but it looks similar to the ZT 0393. Hinderer?
View Quote
It is a harpoon bladed XM-18 that he had reground.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 10:57:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By sywagon:
Speaking of names that became cringe-worthy.

I'm mostly disappointed as fuck. I consider both my BM to be among the best if not iconic for every-day use tasks and carry. I can't get the money back and was tricked to think it was well spent at the time. It is pretty disgusting they had to go and for no reason hugely lessen their value to me to the point I'm ashamed to post them any more much less tout the once meaningful brand. Assholes.

https://i.imgur.com/uN25znq.jpg
View Quote
I mostly meant knives with names like spine ripper, dark Chaplin or double homicide.

Or super tacticool knife maker names.

But I get it. I love the 940-1. It's damned near perfect but the company had to go and fuck shit up
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 11:13:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 762SR25] [#35]
More pics coming? See the spine and lock...
View Quote
Ok, here comes my full pics/thoughts so far.

I took some pics with and without lighting this time.  The damascus pivot and marbled CF seem to really "pop" more and show detail in the bright light though the light/flash can drown out the blade details.  Again, the blade grinds are a serious high point on this knife just as they were on the K-2.  It also doesn't have any of the "nitpicks" I had---the clip is springy and functional, the blade is M390, there isn't 3-4mm of unsharpened blade either due to the large choil.

I love the size of this knife.  It is long enough and wide enough to feel great in the hand in a variety of grips and no hot spots whatsoever.  The details are really nice the blue anodized hardware, marbled CF, and damascus pivot all really add to a great looking knife with a great looking blade.  It is really a beautiful knife.  The weight isn't what they advertise I weighed it at 6.6oz, not bad at all for an integral.  I heard the brass inlay version is the same in that regard (overrated) even though they advertise it at 10.5oz it is more like 8.4.

Action is perfect, like the K-2.  Double row ceramic bearings really are tits.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 11:15:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 762SR25] [#36]
Backside and lock as requested by WISCOUNSEL

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

The swedge really makes the blade appear to have a lot of distal taper.  The blade being really tall has a lot of room to shed that thickness and is actually decently thin behind the edge.

Some size comparisons, first vs an XM-24 and then flanked by the K-2 and 0920

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 11:21:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 762SR25] [#37]
Nitpick time.

So this is my first integral.  I've seen other people when reviewing other integrals mention whether or not there are any machining/tooling marks on the inside.  I've seen conflicting reviews of the same model so I don't know if some people just don't have the eye or if it can vary from piece to piece.

I definitely found machining flaws in this one.  Nothing functional, obviously.  But this is a $450 knife so I'm going to miro-inspect everything.

First, towards the end of the knife you can see some chatter in the curved section.  The bottoms of the screw holes were not chamfered either so there are sharp extrusions of titanium present around all of them.  I boxed all those areas out for highlighting (the chatter should be obvious) and it looks like they bumped the "show side" near one of the holes as well.  I had a very hard time getting this to show in the second picture.  If you zoom that first picture the resolution is there---you should be able to really see what I'm talking about.  Needed a bright light to reveal all of this.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 11:42:59 PM EDT
[#38]

You finally get a man's knife, and you put it next to a salad.

No...wait...a fuckin salad? Not a side salad or the little garnish you push to the side, but what appears to be your main course.

dafuq...

Here's how it's done sonny

https://i.imgur.com/QDqYFwF.jpg

J/K, welcome to the cool kids club.
View Quote
Keto.  I had burgers too.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 11:47:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Nitpick time.

So this is my first integral.  I've seen other people when reviewing other integrals mention whether or not there are any machining/tooling marks on the inside.  I've seen conflicting reviews of the same model so I don't know if some people just don't have the eye or if it can vary from piece to piece.

I definitely found machining flaws in this one.  Nothing functional, obviously.  But this is a $450 knife so I'm going to miro-inspect everything.

First, towards the end of the knife you can see some chatter in the curved section.  The bottoms of the screw holes were not chamfered either so there are sharp extrusions of titanium present around all of them.  I boxed all those areas out for highlighting (the chatter should be obvious) and it looks like they bumped the "show side" near one of the holes as well.  I had a very hard time getting this to show in the second picture.  If you zoom that first picture the resolution is there---you should be able to really see what I'm talking about.  Needed a bright light to reveal all of this.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/453175/Flaws_12_jpg-882941.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/453175/Flaws_2_jpg-882942.JPG
View Quote
Looks to me like they tapped after milling the channel.  In your first pic the one on the right looks like the tapped hole is just too close to that radius channel to keep from nicking it with the tap.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 2:09:14 AM EDT
[#40]
Finished the sheath. It’s only the second one I have even made. I should practice more but at least it works and it’s comfortable standing or sitting.

https://i.imgur.com/SOshGQG.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/PzUxANb.jpg
View Quote
Not bad. Kydex?

Get the retention dialed in right?
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 2:29:23 AM EDT
[#41]

I took some pics with and without lighting this time.  The damascus pivot and marbled CF seem to really "pop" more and show detail in the bright light though the light/flash can drown out the blade details.  Again, the blade grinds are a serious high point on this knife just as they were on the K-2.  It also doesn't have any of the "nitpicks" I had---the clip is springy and functional, the blade is M390, there isn't 3-4mm of unsharpened blade either due to the large choil.

I love the size of this knife.  It is long enough and wide enough to feel great in the hand in a variety of grips and no hot spots whatsoever.  The details are really nice the blue anodized hardware, marbled CF, and damascus pivot all really add to a great looking knife with a great looking blade.  It is really a beautiful knife.  The weight isn't what they advertise I weighed it at 6.6oz, not bad at all for an integral.  I heard the brass inlay version is the same and even though they advertise it at 10.5oz it is more like 8.4.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/453175/JACK_1_jpg-882923.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/453175/JACK_2_jpg-882924.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/453175/JACK_4_jpg-882925.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/453175/JACK_3_jpg-882926.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/453175/Grinds_jpg-882927.JPG
View All Quotes

I love the size of this knife.  It is long enough and wide enough to feel great in the hand in a variety of grips and no hot spots whatsoever.  The details are really nice the blue anodized hardware, marbled CF, and damascus pivot all really add to a great looking knife with a great looking blade.  It is really a beautiful knife.  The weight isn't what they advertise I weighed it at 6.6oz, not bad at all for an integral.  I heard the brass inlay version is the same and even though they advertise it at 10.5oz it is more like 8.4.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/453175/JACK_1_jpg-882923.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/453175/JACK_2_jpg-882924.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/453175/JACK_4_jpg-882925.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/453175/JACK_3_jpg-882926.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/453175/Grinds_jpg-882927.JPG
Well, we know you are not a photographer by day. It looks like a different knife in every pic.

To be fair, you did catch stuff the retailer pics don’t show.

If you are going to keep going this, you need to make a light box.

Knice write up. With the materials as you describe them, bet it is a stunner in person.

Backside and lock as requested by WISCOUNSEL

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/453175/Back_jpg-882928.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/453175/Lock_jpg-882929.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/453175/Blade_Top_jpg-882931.JPG

The swedge really makes the blade appear to have a lot of distal taper.  The blade being really tall has a lot of room to shed that thickness and is actually decently thin behind the edge.

Some size comparisons, first vs an XM-24 and then flanked by the K-2 and 0920

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/453175/VS_XM-24_jpg-882932.JPG
The back is where it’s at. There are just so few integrals, it’s kinda special to see what they do with the spine. I like it.

While the lock bar is thicker, still not quite like a frame lock. Wouldn’t bother me, just interesting to see the execution.

Nitpick time.

I’d be picky too. Is it just the nature of an integral though for them to have marks inside because it isn’t like a separate scale where you can easily clean the backside? Just curious. Considering the difficulty you had capturing them, must be relatively minor.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 2:48:55 AM EDT
[#42]
Just realized one of my pics didn't load, the second size comparison.  Fixed it now.

I'm most certainly no photographer.  I haven't even owned a camera since they started putting them on phones.  All I have is my 5+ year old Samsung Galaxy S5 and the TV tray I usually have next to my spot in the living room to hold my coffee, tea, wine, or beer.

It is frequently used to hold pistols I'm cleaning too, which is why it is pretty marked up and stained.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 8:46:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Inquisitive_Spaniard] [#43]
Not bad. Kydex?

View All Quotes

https://i.imgur.com/SOshGQG.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/PzUxANb.jpg
Not bad. Kydex?

Yeah, shook it like crazy to get the knife to fall out and it stays put. You can pop it out with your thumb though. Yes, it’s kydex/ leather
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 9:31:19 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 9:32:28 AM EDT
[#45]
Just realized one of my pics didn't load, the second size comparison.  Fixed it now.

I'm most certainly no photographer.  I haven't even owned a camera since they started putting them on phones.  All I have is my 5+ year old Samsung Galaxy S5 and the TV tray I usually have next to my spot in the living room to hold my coffee, tea, wine, or beer.

It is frequently used to hold pistols I'm cleaning too, which is why it is pretty marked up and stained.
View Quote
Yeah the added pic helps with perspective.

Further thoughts on value?

By all accounts looks to be a great piece.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 9:37:43 AM EDT
[#46]
Man, I've got a 3V Survivor...now I'm wondering if its 3V.

I love how responsive Mike is to any problem at all brought up on the BRK Facebook page.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 9:54:29 AM EDT
[#47]

Not my style at all.
View Quote
I think there are packs of Heeter fans that join groups accuse everyone of yapping then get banned.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 10:07:35 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Jdub16:

Quit yapping

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ue4ySMLk9Q0
View Quote
Oh God.

That's pretty tame for Heeter Nation. We wasn't blowing giant vape clouds, wearing white oakleys and pooka shells
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 10:15:17 AM EDT
[#49]

Oh God.

That's pretty tame for Heeter Nation. We wasn't blowing giant vape clouds, wearing white oakleys and pooka shells
View Quote
10 bucks says he has a challenge coin and a "hank" in his pocket though.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 10:29:18 AM EDT
[#50]
Nitpick time.

View Quote
I wouldn't be happy with that either.  Those should have been blind holes IMO.
Page / 3103
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top