Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/25/2016 7:21:20 PM EDT

Michigan has an open season on feral pigs, and in 2010 the state launched a campaign encouraging people who encounter the animals to shoot them on sight.

In 2011, the MDNR estimated between 3,000 and 5,000 feral pigs in more than 65 of Michigan's 83 counties. The animals wreak havoc on the environment, eating eggs of game birds, young deer or lambs, and crops. The pigs also can carry diseases.

The state declared certain species that most often go wild invasive, and has banned ownership of them.

http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2016/03/deputies_shoot_wild_pig_after.html

Pic at link. On my phone so I can't post it.

Link Posted: 3/25/2016 7:23:30 PM EDT
[#1]

Mmmmmmm bacon.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 7:26:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Better than people's pets I suppose.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 7:28:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't all states have open season and no restrictions on killing feral pigs (hogs as we call them in the South)?

I don't think anyone is that stupid as to want those things anywhere near their homes or farms.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 7:30:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Bucket O' Bacon there.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 7:30:57 PM EDT
[#5]
California requires a tag and had a daily bag limit in hogs.  They gotta get their $$.  May not be much per tag but still.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 7:34:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Small game license here in SW WI take all the hogs you can...
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 7:34:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 7:34:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Bacon puppy down...
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 7:36:41 PM EDT
[#9]
3-5000 in the entire state?

Shit, I think we've killed north of 150-160 just this year ourselves on less than 2K acres.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 7:39:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't all states have open season and no restrictions on killing feral pigs (hogs as we call them in the South)?

I don't think anyone is that stupid as to want those things anywhere near their homes or farms.
View Quote

If that was the case Detroit would be deserted then.

Link Posted: 3/25/2016 7:40:52 PM EDT
[#11]
only 5K in the state...

no matter how many they kill they will have 100K in 5 years. they have been brutal in our state.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 7:41:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Damn pigs killed my pet pig!!!
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 7:42:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
only 5K in the state...

no matter how many they kill they will have 100K in 5 years. they have been brutal in our state.
View Quote

Precisely the reason mini guns should be available to the general public.

(Along with free ammo from Bernie)

Link Posted: 3/25/2016 7:45:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

AFAIK Nj Still doesnt
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 7:59:03 PM EDT
[#15]

I like bacon too but those big pigs are nasty eating.
Stay around 125 lb and smaller for eating purposes.
I prefer even the 50-75 lbs ers

Link Posted: 3/25/2016 7:59:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Used to have a hook up,in Florida. He had land and I could go hunt all the pigs I wanted.

Sadly, he became a POS and went crazy and is now sitting in prison (A-hole killed his wife in front of their daughter).

I miss hunting piggies.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 8:04:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Where the hell are they?  I haven't seen one in the woods yet.  

I've seen video's from Texas, and there's a Hog behind every tree!!
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 8:04:12 PM EDT
[#18]
What were they aiming at?

Link Posted: 3/25/2016 8:04:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

There are people who are transporting live feral hogs to land so they can charge people to hunt them . So yes, people are that stupid.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 8:06:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Need tags in this freedom loving state
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 8:07:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Why can't NM have a hog problem...
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 8:17:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well of course Illinois has all kinds of restrictions on hunting them.

http://www.dnr.illinois.gov/news/Pages/NewRuleRestrictsTransportation,ReleaseandHarvestofFeralSwine.aspx

Fortunately, feral hogs have not showed up in any numbers in central Illinois.  I was surprised that Michigan has such a problem and we don't, yet.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 8:27:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

You and me brother, those folks east and south of us need to push them harder.........

Craig
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 8:34:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

We do, mainly down towards the boot heel.  There's enough of them here that Fish and Game has taken note, and declared them vermin.  Taken from the 2016 handbook:
"Feral Hogs Are an Unprotected Species
Feral hogs damage habitat, contaminate water and compete with native wildlife. Because of the
negative impact this non-native intruder causes, residents and nonresidents legally may hunt feral
hogs year-round without a license. General hunting rules still apply—such as obtaining permission
if hunting on private land, no hunting with the aid of an artificial light and no discharging of
firearms within 150 yards of an occupied dwelling.
Feral hogs should not be confused with javelina, which look similar but are a protected game
species. Javelina are smaller than feral hogs and do not have a tail. Javelina also have a white stripe
of hair near the shoulders and neck, giving them the common name
collared peccary."
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 8:35:49 PM EDT
[#25]

I wouldn't eat that.

The larger the are, the worse they get.

Piglets are delicious

Large pigs are coyote bait, or bait for more pigs

Link Posted: 3/25/2016 8:38:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Over-run in Clarksville..........waiting on them to move East.   Come on piggies.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 8:42:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Just come over here to Texas plenty of them to kill and no need for any sort of BS license to kill them.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 8:42:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

We do, mainly down towards the boot heel.  There's enough of them here that Fish and Game has taken note, and declared them vermin.  Taken from the 2016 handbook:
Feral hogs damage habitat, contaminate water and compete with native wildlife. Because of the
negative impact this non-native intruder causes, residents and nonresidents legally may hunt feral
hogs year-round without a license. General hunting rules still apply—such as obtaining permission
if hunting on private land, no hunting with the aid of an artificial light and no discharging of
Feral hogs should not be confused with javelina, which look similar but are a protected game
species. Javelina are smaller than feral hogs and do not have a tail. Javelina also have a white stripe
collared peccary."
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

collared peccary."

Yeah, I read it in the book, but I guess I am way too far north for any of the fun.  I was told that the pigs cannot regulate their temp well so they have a hard time with winter in colder winter climates.?.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 8:54:28 PM EDT
[#29]
If said hog is the one in the John Deere bucket I believe they're off on their 600 lb. estimate.

When states and farmers start paying money to get rid of their pig "problem" I will consider it a real problem.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 8:58:22 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm calling bullshit, I bet there's at least 30k feral hogs in Detroit alone, or does the DNR only count those without a wieve?
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 9:01:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Open all the time on private property in Florida. State controlled elsewhere.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 9:02:48 PM EDT
[#32]

Illegal in NY (try not to act surprised).

Hunting or Trapping of Eurasian Boars is Prohibited

Hunting or trapping of Eurasian boars is now illegal in New York State. A new regulation was adopted on April 23, 2014 that prohibits the hunting or trapping of free-ranging Eurasian boar statewide. The regulation provides exceptions for law enforcement officers, farmers, and landowners who are authorized by DEC to take Eurasian boar to alleviate nuisance, property damage, or threats to public health or welfare. This regulation is necessary to ensure maximum effectiveness of DEC's statewide eradication efforts.

Why is the Hunting of Eurasian Boars Prohibited?

New York wants to eradicate all Eurasian boars in the wild. To achieve that, the DEC had to ban the hunting of Eurasian boars. The most efficient way to eradicate Eurasian boars is by trapping the whole sounder (the name for a group of pigs) at one time. Research and management experience has taught us that this task is best accomplished by wildlife management agencies who are committed to total eradication. Trapping takes a lot of time, effort and money because boars are very wary and need to be slowly baited in and accustomed to the trap. When a hunter shoots at a boar, the animals in the sounder run off in all directions and don't always come back together again. Hunting prevents us from trapping all the animals in the sounder, makes the boars harder to trap during subsequent attempts (boars learn to avoid traps if they are shot at around a trap), and instead of one large sounder, we must now have to locate and eradicate two or more smaller sounders.

Hunting is an inefficient and ineffective way to control or eradicate a population of Eurasian boars. Because the boars have a high survival and reproductive rate, hunters must take 70-75% of the population each year just to stabilize the population. That is nearly impossible to do. Even in Texas where wild boar hunting is very popular, hunters take less than 40% of the population each year.

Link Posted: 3/25/2016 9:08:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Yeah, I read it in the book, but I guess I am way too far north for any of the fun.  I was told that the pigs cannot regulate their temp well so they have a hard time with winter in colder winter climates.?.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

collared peccary."

I seriously doubt that, if they're up in Michigan and New York.  Plus, they're "Russian boar" or "Eurasian boar."  It gets a lot colder over there than it does here...
It probably has more to do with crossing the desert.  There's vast swathes down here with not much food or water for them down here.  Up in the Animas mountains and further over towards Arizona, there's forest and woodlands they can scrounge in, but that all peters out long before you get to I-10.
Once they get to the Gila, though, all bets are off, and I'm going hog-hunting.  I give it 10 years, and they'll probably encroach over from eastern Arizona, instead of coming straight up the boot across the sand.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 9:12:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

You and me brother, those folks east and south of us need to push them harder.........

Craigz
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Craigz

I know they are in the Canadian and Red River basins. You may have some and not know it yet, up northeast.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 9:17:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Wish I knew places where they are. I'd go shoot me some.

I guess they're pretty elusive.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 9:20:29 PM EDT
[#36]
That is not 600#.  Feral hogs are hard to guess if you haven’t killed a bunch of them.

ETA pic of said swine:

Link Posted: 3/25/2016 9:21:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

wv only has a few counties for hog hunting and dont believe its an open season , not 100%
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 9:23:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 9:29:12 PM EDT
[#39]

Link Posted: 3/25/2016 9:36:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
If said hog is the one in the John Deere bucket I believe they're off on their 600 lb. estimate.

When states and farmers start paying money to get rid of their pig "problem" I will consider it a real problem.
View Quote

Farmers pay thru the nose to get rid of feral hogs.

To trappers. Bubba with an AK is worthless at best if not actually more destructive.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 9:49:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Illegal in NY (try not to act surprised).

Hunting or Trapping of Eurasian Boars is Prohibited

Hunting or trapping of Eurasian boars is now illegal in New York State. A new regulation was adopted on April 23, 2014 that prohibits the hunting or trapping of free-ranging Eurasian boar statewide. The regulation provides exceptions for law enforcement officers, farmers, and landowners who are authorized by DEC to take Eurasian boar to alleviate nuisance, property damage, or threats to public health or welfare. This regulation is necessary to ensure maximum effectiveness of DEC's statewide eradication efforts.

Why is the Hunting of Eurasian Boars Prohibited?

New York wants to eradicate all Eurasian boars in the wild. To achieve that, the DEC had to ban the hunting of Eurasian boars. The most efficient way to eradicate Eurasian boars is by trapping the whole sounder (the name for a group of pigs) at one time. Research and management experience has taught us that this task is best accomplished by wildlife management agencies who are committed to total eradication. Trapping takes a lot of time, effort and money because boars are very wary and need to be slowly baited in and accustomed to the trap. When a hunter shoots at a boar, the animals in the sounder run off in all directions and don't always come back together again. Hunting prevents us from trapping all the animals in the sounder, makes the boars harder to trap during subsequent attempts (boars learn to avoid traps if they are shot at around a trap), and instead of one large sounder, we must now have to locate and eradicate two or more smaller sounders.

Hunting is an inefficient and ineffective way to control or eradicate a population of Eurasian boars. Because the boars have a high survival and reproductive rate, hunters must take 70-75% of the population each year just to stabilize the population. That is nearly impossible to do. Even in Texas where wild boar hunting is very popular, hunters take less than 40% of the population each year.

View Quote

So it's OK to kill the sows?

Link Posted: 3/25/2016 9:50:53 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

That is not 600#.  Feral hogs are hard to guess if you haven’t killed a bunch of them.

ETA pic of said swine:

http://image.mlive.com/home/mlive-media/width620/img/kzgazette_impact/photo/20018571-mmmain.jpeg

View Quote

Not even close to 600 pounds.

Link Posted: 3/25/2016 9:52:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Haven't seen one yet either. Maybe they aren't in the SE. I want some free range pork.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 9:56:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s325.photobucket.com/user/smlnbndt/media/Forum%20Posts/1Time/stop-im-one-of-you-pig_zpsausfowxg.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k397/smlnbndt/Forum%20Posts/1Time/stop-im-one-of-you-pig_zpsausfowxg.jpg</a>
View Quote

Jesus, I am Impressed, even picking up a small 100 lb pig is rough as hell, damn things are STRONG, wiggle like hell, and make your eardrums bleed when you pick em up.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 10:02:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
What were they aiming at?

View Quote

They missed the dag
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 10:06:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA pic of said swine:

http://image.mlive.com/home/mlive-media/width620/img/kzgazette_impact/photo/20018571-mmmain.jpeg

I saw 2 sows larger than that this week whilst hunting the elusive turkey.  I’d guess 210-230.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 10:06:09 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

only 5K in the state...

View Quote

not around here,you got a better chance at seeing a bigfoot than a feral hog....  :P

Link Posted: 3/25/2016 10:10:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Every single one I've killed smelled like pig shit, piss and swamp mud.  They are nasty and very distructive.  Amazingly so.

Oh and that pig doesn't look near 600 lbs.  Maybe 300 lbs.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 10:11:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 10:11:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Lucky deputies.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top