Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/4/2003 1:43:35 AM EDT
On one of the other boards some of the guys suggested putting grip tape on the front strap of a 1911 for extra grip.  I tried it and have to say I love it.  I bought a roll of the stuff, actually ladder tape, which should last forever.

This was my first attempt at getting a better grip.
[IMG]http://www.cheyennepaintball.com/images/guns/DSC01559.JPG[/IMG]

That really didnt work so I went with the grip tape :)
[IMG]http://www.cheyennepaintball.com/images/guns/DSC01557.JPG[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.cheyennepaintball.com/images/guns/DSC01558.JPG[/IMG]

I wasnt serious about the cling wrap and duct tape.  It is simply there to ensure that the grip tape gets a good hold.  I'll take it off in a couple hours.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 2:04:18 AM EDT
[#1]
My Browning MKIII has grip tape on the front and back.  One of my shotguns has it on the Surefire forearm.  Good stuff.

Marc Krebs uses it on his Pointman 1911

[url]http://www.krebscustom.com/CustomPistols.html[/url]
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 2:08:30 AM EDT
[#2]
On my Sig220 and HiPower.  Whole 'nother grip!
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 2:19:23 AM EDT
[#3]
:) They call it a "Traction System"

Recessed front strap panel with Traction System insert.  The Traction System insert is a 3M non-skid product that is placed in the recessed portion of the front and sides of the front strap, locking the insert in place and enhancing durability.  This is often mistaken for stippling, and different grits are available.

Link Posted: 5/4/2003 2:30:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Forgot, my SIG P220 and P226 have it too.

Bought a big ass roll at Home Depot.  3M holds up well with minimal shifting even in summer heat.  I just clean and dry the surface with rubbin alcohol before I apply it.  I usually left enough at the sides to lock it down with the grips after scraping a little of the grit off with a sharp knife so they lay flatter.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 2:32:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Hmm ... that's an interesting idea.  The only thing I've ever put grip tape were skateboards.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 3:16:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 4:32:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Yes on the glock
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 4:38:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Skateboard tape is rather popular around here...
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 6:05:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Got it on the front strap of my P220.  Functionally, it's much superior to checkering.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 6:21:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 8:55:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Not on a pistol, but I have used baseball bat/tennis racket tape on the wrist section of a 10-22 & shotgun that the stock was too thin & or slick uncheckered wood.  Looks fugly but if it works......
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 3:37:32 AM EDT
[#12]
I have a Hogue Handall Jr. slip-on rubber grip on my P-11.  It's muchmuchmuch better than holding the bare polymer.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 7:37:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Hogue makes a rubber grip with molded in finger grooves on the front strap.  It wraps around the front strap and mounts like regular 1911 grips.  I am going to try some after talking to people that own them.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 7:44:38 AM EDT
[#14]
I have the houge sleeve for my Glock 21.  I like it.  That polymer can get slick.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 7:58:06 AM EDT
[#15]
How long does it last on there after prolonged use, cleaning, solvents, etc... ??
Does it affect the finish (bluing,anodizing) in any way when removed ?
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 6:53:48 PM EDT
[#16]
It's had no effect on the finish of any of my guns.  Solvents will eventually get to it, but I dont get that much on the frames of my guns to begin with.  I keep it tucked under the grip panels, so its pretty secure.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 7:11:21 PM EDT
[#17]
My Springfield Armory 1911 has it on it.  I was a little hesitant about the grip tape (skateboard tape) when I bought it but it looks great and is not uncomfortable at all.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 7:16:32 PM EDT
[#18]
What you need is this to go along with it.
[url] http://www.ergogrips.net/gm.html[/url]
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 7:34:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Hogue makes a rubber grip with molded in finger grooves on the front strap.  It wraps around the front strap and mounts like regular 1911 grips.  I am going to try some after talking to people that own them.
View Quote

I have one on my Colt, not so great for concealed carry (the rubber pulls on clothing) but for normal shooting I love it. I like them enough that I got a set for my HiPower too.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 7:46:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Funny, because yesterday I had enough of my Hogue grip on my USPc. I even glued the damn thing on and the glue always comes undone so I ditched the Hogue and went with plain old black cloth, non-stick hockey tape. I built in finger grooves so it's just like the Hogue but it can't slip around.
This is interesting because I am taking another training class in a couple weeks and I was debating which pistol to use. I guess you use the gun that you trust the most and is the most combat effective. I am going w/ the USP. Enough said.  
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 8:10:35 PM EDT
[#21]
OK - I'll post my first "expect to be flamed" post.
The tape on the grip safety is BULSHIT!
If you haven't aquired the skill to repeatedly satisfy the grip saftey on your 1911 you have two choices - practice your dry fire to aquire the muscle memory to satisfy the grip, or install a grip saftey with the raised engagement bump.
In my opinion those of you who don't practice enough with your 1911's to satisfy the grip saftey should leave the professional pistols to those who spend the time to learn to shoot them properly and just go out and buy yourself a learner pistol (like maybe a Glock) then you don't have to worry about the "dreaded grip saftey".....
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 12:02:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If you haven't aquired the skill to repeatedly satisfy the grip saftey on your 1911 you have two choices - practice your dry fire to aquire the muscle memory to satisfy the grip, or install a grip saftey with the raised engagement bump.
In my opinion those of you who don't practice enough with your 1911's to satisfy the grip saftey should leave the professional pistols to those who spend the time to learn to shoot them properly and just go out and buy yourself a learner pistol (like maybe a Glock) then you don't have to worry about the "dreaded grip saftey".....
View Quote

Maybe i have trouble reading but who here has mentioned putting tape on the grip safety of a 1911 type pistol...?

Link Posted: 5/6/2003 12:10:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Yes, I just re-read the thing three times now.  I could be slow.  Who said anything about taping a 1911 grip safety?
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 12:19:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Uh, yup, I did it, too. What I use is Pachmayr Pac-Skin. When I bought my HiPower, (SS model w/ factory Pachmayr grips, from a pawnshop) the rear strap portion of the grip was torn loose. The factory replacements are $35 from Browning, I put Hogue grips on it for $16, but the Hogue doesn't cover the rear strap. Got ahold of the Pac-Skin and put a piece on the rear strap, feels great. (haven't "test-driven" it yet at the range) In fact, the stuff has such great "grip" or "tackiness" that I also put a strip on the trigger of my Sig P239 and Beretta-the triggers are smooth on both weapons. Looks like it'll work well also, but remains to be seen if it will hold up.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 3:58:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

[>:/] Have you been sniffing the adhesive on some grip tape ??

Link Posted: 5/7/2003 4:06:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Yes, 3M textured tape from Home Depot IIRC $1.28/ft for a 2" wide strip.  That's about 12 front straps for my 1911.  I'm still on my first strap.  It's just now peeling on an edge.

Link Posted: 5/7/2003 8:14:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Grip tape on the front strap and a small dot of it at the bottom of the grip safety.

[url]http://mywebpages.comcast.net/hoplophile/Kimber.jpg[/url]
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 3:29:54 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think you lost me and everyone else on this one.  No one said anything about putting tape on the safety.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 3:31:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Put some tape on my new Springfield Ultra Compact.

[img]http://www.cheyennepaintball.com/images/guns/DSC01637.JPG[/img]
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 4:07:15 AM EDT
[#30]
Or you can go to the Brownell's catalog and buy either a 20 lpi or a 30 lpi checkering file and start filing!!!! Granted it's a little harder than cutting a piece of tape, but it lasts longer too.[:D]
[img]http://home.earthlink.net/~sheldon_hom/_uimages/Mvc-042f.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 4:18:43 AM EDT
[#31]
Sheldon, did you do that checkering ?

Thats nice work
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 4:35:33 AM EDT
[#32]
Yeah, I did the deed.  I had read a couple articles about it and decided to give it a go.  I practiced on a few pieces of round stock first and when I was comfortable I hit my stainless Gold Cup up first with the 20lpi file.  Its frontstrap was already serrated vertically 20 lpi so I got to use those lines as a guide for the vertical lines.  Then it was eyeball city for the horizontal lines.  I do need to touch up the 30 lpi checkering on the blued Springfield.  I can see how the checkering needs to be cut in deeper.   It's not as hard as it looks.  That first set of lines pretty much lays the foundation for the rest of the lines along that axis.  The file tracks in those grooves and you just roll it over a little to start new lines and then move the file over to those grooves and on till you reach the edge of the frontstrap.  I think the jigs are really to just ensure those first lines on each axis are square.  
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 4:37:24 AM EDT
[#33]
Any of you fella's try this product?
[url]http://www.brookstactical.com/index-2.html[/url]
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 4:39:52 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well then...in my opinion the grip safety is for people who can't trust themselves to keep their finger off the trigger when they draw.
I keep mine pinned with a shok buff. [:P]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top