Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 7:06:43 AM EDT
[#1]
My daughter's time is consumed by competitive soccer practice and games.  I take her to practice twice a week and go to almost all her games.  She also comes to the gym with me occasionally or we go running together.
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 7:23:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Biking, hiking , shooting, movies, shoot hoops, play games, almost everything. She hasn't started driving or dating yet. When that day comes, it will be less,
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 7:24:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Geocaching is another good one.
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 7:34:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Read to her.  It can be torture, but mine loves it.  We are reading Rush Limbaugh's Rush Revere series about the time traveling horse and she brings me the book every night begging.
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 9:50:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I taught my daughter "pull my finger" when she was three.
she played it like a pro, acting like she was getting something from a drawer to show visitors, then seemingly catching her finger in it as she closed it. Hilarious.

I did whatever she asked to do; she learned very young that she could ask me just about anything and be spoken to as an adult.
I took her fishing, taught her to shoot, worked my dog on released quail with her, rode bikes, and had tea parties with a little china set I bought for her.
I always tried to be someone she could approach with anything and get a low-key , simple answer.
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 9:55:44 PM EDT
[#6]
My baby girl is 16 months old. She's already got me wrapped around her finger.

When my wife tries to get her to say "momma" she says "no, daddy".

I'm so fucked. If she wants a new car at 5yo, I'll probably cave.
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 9:58:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You sound like a pretty f'n awesome dad
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What are the things that you do with them?  Mine gets enough girl activities with the rest of her family.  I have done enough girl things already being a single Dad.  I'll make a list of what we do.  I'm just looking for ideas.  Mine is nine.

We used to ice skate, her mother poisoned her idea of playing hockey.  

Downhill ski.  We have been skiing well over 20 times this year.  She is going to try out for the race team next year.

Shooting.  She has a BB gun, bow, and a Cricket .22lr.  

Ice fishing, snowmobiling.

Camping, fishing, and hunting.

She's on her second dirt bike.  Our last fall grouse hunting trip she put 75 miles on her bike.  I'm looking forward to dirt biking this year.

She has her own mini kayak that she rips around on.  She likes going on Lake Superior and looking at the bottom of the lake.  I'm thinking about getting one even though I'm a motor kind of guy.

Rc truck.

Santa brought a metal detector this year.  She can't wait to hit the Lake Superior beaches and other areas.

At home we play a lot of board and card games.  Lego's too.

She also plays soft ball, soccer, and dance.

What do you guys do?

That's what I'm thinking as well.
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 10:01:15 PM EDT
[#8]
My 12 year old still likes to join me for fishing, range days (without the boys), going for walks, geocaching, testing me on the names of Taylor Swift songs, playing card games, and we can bake some mean all in one box brownies.
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 10:02:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Sounds trailer-parkish....but mine loves to go bowling.
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 10:05:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What are the things that you do with them?  Mine gets enough girl activities with the rest of her family.  I have done enough girl things already being a single Dad.  I'll make a list of what we do.  I'm just looking for ideas.  Mine is nine.

Downhill ski.  We have been skiing well over 20 times this year.  She is going to try out for the race team next year.

She's on her second dirt bike.  Our last fall grouse hunting trip she put 75 miles on her bike.  I'm looking forward to dirt biking this year.

She has her own mini kayak that she rips around on.  She likes going on Lake Superior and looking at the bottom of the lake.  I'm thinking about getting one even though I'm a motor kind of guy.

Rc truck.

Santa brought a metal detector this year.  She can't wait to hit the Lake Superior beaches and other areas.

What do you guys do?

^^^this. Keep holding it down man. Mine is still a baby, I hope to do half the things you do when she gets older.
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 10:07:13 PM EDT
[#11]
I have an 11yo

Camp, hike, shooting, biking, school work and other stuff
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 10:16:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rc truck.

What do you guys do?

This. Damn you're setting the bar high.

I have a 1.5yr old daughter. We mostly go on stroller runs and to bass pro shop to stare at the fish :)
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 10:24:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Tonight I gave her my CC so her and her boyfriend could go get ice cream.
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 10:37:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Read to her.  It can be torture, but mine loves it.  We are reading Rush Limbaugh's Rush Revere series about the time traveling horse and she brings me the book every night begging.
View Quote

that was a big component of potty training in our house.
I would put sit with her her on the closed toilet and read, then in a little seat, until she finally just peed.
no excitement, no drama, just eventual success.
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 10:37:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Take her to the biggest girl thing ever: SHOPPING!!!!!

Link Posted: 3/16/2016 10:41:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

the activity isn't all that important, just that you're there and she knows that you're enjoying the time.
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 10:47:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quit forcing your daughter to be a man and sit down down and play My Little Ponys with her.
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 11:03:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Lots of good stuff. My daughter is only 4. I have a very flexible job, I can work any 12 hours of the day I like.

While the weather hasn't been so friendly we've gone on some weekend day trips just to get out of the house.

I read to her a bunch. She's become interested in trying to read on her own. Even though she's not quite 4 1/2, she read "Go, Dog. Go!" to me tonight before bedtime from cover to cover. Time to start working on some harder books I guess.

I think my biggest problem is my wife. She wants to be involved in everything. But she also has a very flexible job requiring long hours. So she and I often trade off rather than doing things together with our daughter. When I want to do something different my wife ends up getting jealous that she's missing out. My wife is also in a masters program so she ends up having very little time. I think there are going to be a number of 3 day weekends this spring where my daughter and I take off into the woods and go camping.
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 11:28:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/16/2016 11:31:04 PM EDT
[#20]
I shoveled mulch with mine, today.  She had a blast!

(She's 5. )
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 11:36:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Cool stuff like biking, tennis, shooting, video games, disk golf, legos, nerf gun wars, basketball, hiking...

I've also done my fair share of playing with dolls and barbies.
Link Posted: 3/17/2016 5:48:04 AM EDT
[#22]
We're taking our 9 month old camping for the first time this weekend.

Quoted:

(She's 5. )
View Quote

How much extra time did her "help" add to the job?

Kharn

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/17/2016 11:27:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

We've been reading together since forever.  We read the first two Rush books already.  We haven't started the "American Patriots" one yet.  

I like those books.  I learned things too.
Link Posted: 3/17/2016 11:29:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rc truck.

What do you guys do?

Thanks guys.  I try.  I always just get told that I'm a shit Dad from the ex-BPD-wife.
Link Posted: 3/17/2016 11:33:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

So does mine.  She also loves USA vs. USSR bubble hockey.
Link Posted: 3/17/2016 11:35:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Damn..........

I don't think I'm going to like that very much.
Link Posted: 3/17/2016 11:35:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Has anyone  else  mentioned  the 2nd hand store?

Mine could  spend hours there and cost me little  to nothing  
Link Posted: 3/17/2016 11:37:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quit forcing your daughter to be a man and sit down down and play My Little Ponys with her.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/17/2016 11:41:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Kharn

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

(She's 5. )

Kharn

Mine was about that age on her first trip too.  I have pics of her chillin by the fire in her car seat.
Link Posted: 3/17/2016 11:46:31 PM EDT
[#30]
my wife is five months pregnant with our first, a little girl

so threads like these are VERY educational to me
Link Posted: 3/17/2016 11:53:20 PM EDT
[#31]
my baby is now 17...I adapt to the fact that 17 year old girls know everything...

She's a great volleyball player in club ball...so every other weekend is a tourney
She's a borderline vegan so we let her cook...not bad meals I might add...
She' going to be a doctor so we are proud...and also taking donations to the "HGBEF"...help GB eat fund....

We walk the hipster/hippy streets of Portland when our schedules line up, we talk cars as she wants to know how hers works and how to fix it, and we also talk about my wallet and how much paper is in there...

Link Posted: 3/17/2016 11:58:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
my wife is five months pregnant with our first, a little girl

so threads like these are VERY educational to me
View Quote

Get ready for the first six years being all little girl stuff.  It's fun.  Mine could handle other things in small doses.

We still do girl things too but she seems to want to do outdoors things the most now.

To this day she still laughs at how I used to piss her off by giving her Barbies and her other dolls fucked up hair styles.

Link Posted: 3/18/2016 12:04:18 AM EDT
[#33]
Mine is 18 months-

We like to point at dogs and shout at them, eat, poop, and sleep.  Has fun on walks and collecting leaves and rocks at the park and touching every box in Costco.  She likes telling me about her day when I get home from work.  Haven't understood much in her soliloquies but she'll "talk" for 3 minutes straight.  I live the little monster.
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 12:05:43 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 12:08:35 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
my baby is now 17...I adapt to the fact that 17 year old girls know everything...

She's a great volleyball player in club ball...so every other weekend is a tourney
She's a borderline vegan so we let her cook...not bad meals I might add...
She' going to be a doctor so we are proud...and also taking donations to the "HGBEF"...help GB eat fund....

We walk the hipster/hippy streets of Portland when our schedules line up, we talk cars as she wants to know how hers works and how to fix it, and we also talk about my wallet and how much paper is in there...

View Quote

Great, mine has been saying that she's going to be a veterinarian since she was two.  I've never met someone who loves animals more than her.  At the same time she will watch me clean a grouse and pluck the feathers for art projects.

On our last fall camping/hunting trip she had nine Whiskey Jack friends at our campsite.  They were eating out of her hand.
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 12:09:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Shooting, cycling, working on the house, co-op video games.
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 12:23:31 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Shooting, cycling, working on the house, co-op video games.
View Quote

Mine helped me tape off her room for painting.  Excellent job, no screw ups at all.
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 12:25:13 AM EDT
[#38]
Great thread. Lots of good dads posting here.

My girl is 2.5. She's gone through about a million little phases already but right now she likes watching the jets at MSP take off, throwing rocks in the river, puzzles and painting. We camp every year for a couple of weeks out west and she's already pretty excited for that, which makes me very happy.
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 12:26:40 AM EDT
[#39]
When my daughter was young, we had "daddy/daughter" days a lot, shooting, going to the river to explore, shopping, making stuff, you name it. I enjoyed that tremendously.

As she's gotten older she's more into her own girly stuff, and we don't do quite as much but she'll still ride on the motorcycle with me or go to a cool store or out to eat.

We haven't gone through the "I hate you, you don't understand me!" years like a lot of teenage girls....I'm sure she feels that sometime, but it's not your typical relationship, and I'm glad for that.
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 12:28:57 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Mine are little, but we still have daddy daughter night every week.

They love it.
View Quote

Just started this with mine. It's so much fun.
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 12:43:33 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
When my daughter was young, we had "daddy/daughter" days a lot, shooting, going to the river to explore, shopping, making stuff, you name it. I enjoyed that tremendously.

As she's gotten older she's more into her own girly stuff, and we don't do quite as much but she'll still ride on the motorcycle with me or go to a cool store or out to eat.

We haven't gone through the "I hate you, you don't understand me!" years like a lot of teenage girls....I'm sure she feels that sometime, but it's not your typical relationship, and I'm glad for that.
View Quote

Can she ride?  I'm thinking this could be our life long thing that we do together.  I guess until I'm too old.
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 12:45:41 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 12:49:14 AM EDT
[#43]
Mine is 7 months old.

Luckley she has a big brother who is almost 6 and Im a part time stay at home dad. So she will grow up doing fun things that a lot of girls dont do.

Sounds like you do a lot of cool things already...dirt bike riding
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 12:54:47 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
My older fraternal twin girls are now 11. The younger identical twin girls are 10.

<a href="http://s156.photobucket.com/user/AJ_Dual/media/AllofusatJcPennys.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t33/AJ_Dual/AllofusatJcPennys.jpg</a>

The parenting stuff is pretty dang easy if you ask me. It wasn't very hard at all. But then, getting up several times a night when the older two weren't even one yet, and the younger two were just home from the hospital made most things seem "easy".  Changing dirty diapers is easier on girls. No stuff gets in the way when you wipe. But you do need to figure out tricks and schemes to maintain control of the situation.

<a href="http://s156.photobucket.com/user/AJ_Dual/media/DSCF6764.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t33/AJ_Dual/DSCF6764.jpg</a>

Dressing all four up as a "theme" for Halloween is fun.

<a href="http://s156.photobucket.com/user/AJ_Dual/media/DSCF6112.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t33/AJ_Dual/DSCF6112.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s156.photobucket.com/user/AJ_Dual/media/yepyepyep.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t33/AJ_Dual/yepyepyep.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s156.photobucket.com/user/AJ_Dual/media/kiss1.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t33/AJ_Dual/kiss1.jpg</a>

https://youtu.be/gV9SmTWLxZg

They're quite good with Legos.

<a href="http://s156.photobucket.com/user/AJ_Dual/media/IMG_20120120_180708.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t33/AJ_Dual/IMG_20120120_180708.jpg</a>

The Children's Hospital ER is a good way to get one-on-one "bonding time".

<a href="http://s156.photobucket.com/user/AJ_Dual/media/DSCF5686.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t33/AJ_Dual/DSCF5686.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s156.photobucket.com/user/AJ_Dual/media/audreystitches.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t33/AJ_Dual/audreystitches.jpg</a>

Not as many as I'd like, but there are indeed range days.

<a href="http://s156.photobucket.com/user/AJ_Dual/media/IMG_20130518_162320_256_zps32d668fc.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t33/AJ_Dual/IMG_20130518_162320_256_zps32d668fc.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s156.photobucket.com/user/AJ_Dual/media/IMG_20130518_163114_361_zps694c1276.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t33/AJ_Dual/IMG_20130518_163114_361_zps694c1276.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s156.photobucket.com/user/AJ_Dual/media/IMG_20130518_164005_495_zpsddbfed1b.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t33/AJ_Dual/IMG_20130518_164005_495_zpsddbfed1b.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s156.photobucket.com/user/AJ_Dual/media/IMG_20130518_164114_375_zpsbabe4fdc.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t33/AJ_Dual/IMG_20130518_164114_375_zpsbabe4fdc.jpg</a>

People watching is a fun way to pass the time, and super-easy when everyone turns around to look at you instead.

<a href="http://s156.photobucket.com/user/AJ_Dual/media/DSCF4811.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t33/AJ_Dual/DSCF4811.jpg</a>

It's never too early to start teaching them about politics, and their Constitutional rights, and maintaining privacy from an overbearing Federal Government.

<a href="http://s156.photobucket.com/user/AJ_Dual/media/DSCF5858.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t33/AJ_Dual/DSCF5858.jpg</a>

Having pets teaches invaluable life lessons too.

<a href="http://s156.photobucket.com/user/AJ_Dual/media/DSCF6915.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t33/AJ_Dual/DSCF6915.jpg</a>
View Quote

Haha, good job.  I lol'd at the Kiss picture.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 12:04:52 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 12:15:33 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 12:19:10 AM EDT
[#47]
Mine is almost 2, so we....

Walk the dog
Go to the park
Go on daddy-daughter dinner dates
Go to the store
Play "makeup" and "dress up" (no shame here, she's the light of my heart, I'll play these games until she's tired of them)
Go down the slide in the yard, over and over
Spin in circles
Watch Elmo
Draw in chalk on the driveway

In the future, I'm really looking forward to teaching her to hunt, shoot, reload, and cast.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 12:23:49 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
My baby girl is 16 months old. She's already got me wrapped around her finger.

When my wife tries to get her to say "momma" she says "no, daddy".

I'm so fucked. If she wants a new car at 5yo, I'll probably cave.
View Quote

Mine's 7  months and I'm fucked.

I think I asked her if she wanted to borrow my truck yesterday.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 12:27:19 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 12:29:20 AM EDT
[#50]
you seem to be doing alot with her.

ask her what "she wants to do".

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top