Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/13/2016 2:31:56 PM EDT

http://www.nj.com/gloucester-county/index.ssf/2016/03/can_you_tell_which_gun_is_a_fake_neither_can_a_cop.html#incart_river_home

March 13, 2016 at 9:00 AM, updated March 13, 2016 at 9:51 AM

WOOLWICH TWP. — When Cpl. Chris Gregory and Ptl. Matt Boyko first found the gun, they didn't know what they were dealing with. Sure, the suspect had told them it was a BB gun, but at first glance, there was no way to tell the difference.

"When [Boyko] recovered it, I was standing 5 feet away," said Gregory. "I couldn't tell it was a fake."

It all began with a routine traffic stop at 3:45 on Tuesday, just a few hundred yards from the Woolwich municipal building. A license plate reader had indicated the driver's license was suspended, and the officers said they smelled marijuana as they approached the vehicle. When they asked the man to get out of his car, the driver, whose name was not released, told them he had a BB gun tucked in his waistband. The officers handcuffed the driver and detained the two other occupants of the car, though police noted that the passengers were not arrested.

Police confiscated the gun without incident, and the man was charged with unlawful possession of an imitation firearm, possession of an imitation firearm for an unlawful purpose and possession of a small amount of marijuana. In short, everything went right.

The next day, Det. Chris Beckett posted a photo on the department's Facebook page. The picture shows two guns sitting side by side, with a handful of cartridges scattered on the table.

The goal of the post, he said, was to give people a real-life example of the challenges police officers face in the line of duty.

"We want to have an open relationship with the public," Beckett said. "They back us a lot of the time, and we want them to know what we do."

A few of those who responded got the question wrong completely, while several more admitted they had no idea (we'll get to the answer in a moment).

<...story continues at link above...>
View Quote

NO CHEATING

correct answer is on page 2 in this post:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1847919_real_9mm_pistol_vs_fake_BB_gun_replica____can_you_tell_which_is_which_.html&page=2#i58776848
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 2:35:14 PM EDT
[#1]
the right is the bb gun, my guess anyway.
a few things don't look right and glocks don't have safeties.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 2:35:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

http://ziva.losdos.dyndns.org/public/misc/real-vs-fake.jpg

http://www.nj.com/gloucester-county/index.ssf/2016/03/can_you_tell_which_gun_is_a_fake_neither_can_a_cop.html#incart_river_home

WOOLWICH TWP. — When Cpl. Chris Gregory and Ptl. Matt Boyko first found the gun, they didn't know what they were dealing with. Sure, the suspect had told them it was a BB gun, but at first glance, there was no way to tell the difference.

"When [Boyko] recovered it, I was standing 5 feet away," said Gregory. "I couldn't tell it was a fake."

It all began with a routine traffic stop at 3:45 on Tuesday, just a few hundred yards from the Woolwich municipal building. A license plate reader had indicated the driver's license was suspended, and the officers said they smelled marijuana as they approached the vehicle. When they asked the man to get out of his car, the driver, whose name was not released, told them he had a BB gun tucked in his waistband. The officers handcuffed the driver and detained the two other occupants of the car, though police noted that the passengers were not arrested.

Police confiscated the gun without incident, and the man was charged with unlawful possession of an imitation firearm, possession of an imitation firearm for an unlawful purpose and possession of a small amount of marijuana. In short, everything went right.

The next day, Det. Chris Beckett posted a photo on the department's Facebook page. The picture shows two guns sitting side by side, with a handful of cartridges scattered on the table.

The goal of the post, he said, was to give people a real-life example of the challenges police officers face in the line of duty.

"We want to have an open relationship with the public," Beckett said. "They back us a lot of the time, and we want them to know what we do."

A few of those who responded got the question wrong completely, while several more admitted they had no idea (we'll get to the answer in a moment).

View Quote
View Quote

That's a thing?    Fuck New Jersey.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 2:36:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Those aren't Glocks
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 2:37:05 PM EDT
[#4]
the one on the right looks real.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 2:37:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Hard to tell - Imagine finding it on a suspect, at night, by yourself, right after a call of "suspect fleeing the scene of a robbery - possibly armed".

And then you have all the "Mah babeh dindunuffin" when someone gets shot and killed by police because said person was armed with what looked like a gun and in fact was an airsoft/pellet/bb/fake gun.

I would've consider this to be an actual gun until known otherwise. Dangerous world out there.

Stay safe.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 2:37:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

The one on the left is it.  First is says "Stainless" on the side and look at the magazine, its not right.  

ETA: Not Glocks, S&W M&Ps.  Also, I read the article.  It is the one on the left.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 2:38:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/13/2016 2:38:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not a Glock - Smith & Wesson M&P Shield.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 2:38:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

holy shit.

what department do you work for?

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 2:39:25 PM EDT
[#10]
The gun on the right is an actual Shield.  The gun on the left is a BB gun.  S&W doesn't make an M&P 90.  And the front sight is wonky.

But it would be damned hard to tell at 7 yards.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 2:39:55 PM EDT
[#11]
FPN.......wait

Link Posted: 3/13/2016 2:40:49 PM EDT
[#12]
I smell some good trollin in this thread
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 2:41:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The gun on the right is an actual Shield.  The gun on the left is a BB gun.  S&W doesn't make an M&P 90.  And the front sight is wonky.

View Quote

Yeah its a pretty good replica.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 2:41:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The one on the left is it.  First is says "Stainless" on the side and look at the magazine, its not right.  

ETA: Not Glocks, S&W M&Ps.  Also, I read the article.  It is the one on the left.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The gun on the left is a M&P Compact, the gun on the right is a M&P9 Shield.  I would guess the rightmost gun is the fake.

ETA: M&P90? or M&P9C?
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 2:42:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now if only I could find a G19 Airsoft made that well
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 2:43:11 PM EDT
[#16]
The one on the right is clearly the real one.  You can see the space underneath the whole length of the slide on it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 2:43:12 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View Quote
Now that there, folks.....that there is funny.

Link Posted: 3/13/2016 2:43:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

It says '9c'.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 2:44:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The gun on the left is a M&P Compact, the gun on the right is a M&P9 Shield.  I would guess the rightmost gun is the fake.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You made me look again because what I thought was "M&P 90" must be "M&P 9C" but I still think the left is the replica.  The burnishing on the sharp edges make me think it's aluminum under the black.  None of the M&Ps I've owned and carried did that.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 2:44:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The real M&P9c says stainless on it. that is also how the mag looks
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 2:47:24 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View Quote

It says "M&P 9c"... and it's plainly obvious. You can tell by the pins and take down lever.

Link Posted: 3/13/2016 2:51:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

right!

http://cd.textfiles.com/group42/WEAPONS/LAWS/MS.HTM

Mississippi: State Firearms Laws

Antiques & Replicas
Mississippi statutes are silent on antique and replica firearms. They are treated as ordinary firearms.

Link Posted: 3/13/2016 2:52:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Right is fake.

Trigger looks off to me. Also the TD lever.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 2:52:40 PM EDT
[#24]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
right!

Antiques & Replicas
Mississippi statutes are silent on antique and replica firearms. They are treated as ordinary firearms.

The difference is NJ would actually prosecute someone for it, MS wouldn't.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 2:55:50 PM EDT
[#25]
both of those guns look real to me. The one on the right is a shield, they don't have the "stainless" marking on the slide. The M&P air pistols don't have trigger safeties.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 2:55:55 PM EDT
[#26]
mag release on the left gun doesn't look right..  it also appears to missing the roll pin in front of the take down lever..
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 2:56:41 PM EDT
[#27]
I am a person who doesnt believe that 'more laws fix problems'.  I do, however, believe all toy guns should be painted toy-gun colors and not made to look like real guns.  Same goes for real guns.  Cant be made to look like toys.  

It would help alleviate the problem of kids getting shot by us.  It would also help if the crackheads would teach their kids 'dont ever ever ever point a gun, toy or real' at anybody else.  Especially the cops
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 2:56:46 PM EDT
[#28]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

right!

Antiques & Replicas

I have lived here all my life and I NEVER heard of anybody arrested for possession of a replica firearm.  I think this is interpreted to mean firing replicas like Ubertis.  Even then its not enforced.  Cap and ball revolvers and Hawken replicas are sold over the counter to any one over 18.  I have heard of one occasion where a felon got a tack on charge for felon in possession after he pointed a muzzleloader at someone.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 2:56:56 PM EDT
[#29]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The real M&P9 says stainless on it.
http://whichgun.com/img/firearms/pistols/smith_wesson/m_p_9c_ct/1.jpg

Edit: Apparently I don't know my ass from a hole in the ground. Learned something new about M&Ps today.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 2:57:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Reminds me of this.........

Link Posted: 3/13/2016 3:00:48 PM EDT
[#31]
I correctly guesses the one on the left was the BB gun.  Not a big deal the point is though that I had to look at them for a good thirty seconds to make that guess.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 3:02:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Any wannabe thug carrying that shit in his pants deserves to be shot on the spot.  The only possible reason to carry a real looking fake gun would be to intimidate/rob people you didn't expect to be carrying their own real gun.

Stupid waste of air
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 3:03:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lol.

The M&P9c on the left is fake.
The shield on the right is real.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 3:05:12 PM EDT
[#34]
No there are definitely black slide M&P pistols that say stainless on them.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 3:06:24 PM EDT
[#35]
The one on the left is a M&P9 c and the one on the right is a m&p shield. 2 different guns that both appear real.
ETA my m&p 9c says stainless on the slide and is all black
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 3:06:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
the one on the right looks real.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/13/2016 3:08:16 PM EDT
[#37]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except that's not a stainless slide.

This is what a stainless MP9c stainless looks like.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/mgm-content/sites/armslist/uploads/posts/2012/01/03/266580_01_s_w_m_p9c_special_edition_two__640.jpg

This is what a MP9C NON stainless looks like

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson2/upload/images/firearms/zoom_lg/206304_01_lg.jpg

With all due respect you dont know what your talking about short of googling images.  S&W does indeed have Black slides that are stainless from the factory and they are indeed stamped stainless.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 3:09:46 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm normally pretty good at spotting the fake. I missed this one.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 3:11:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Common, go to any pawn shop in the bad part of town and look at all the airsoft pistols in the the display cabinet.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 3:13:06 PM EDT
[#40]
I don't care which, someone pulls either on me....I'm shooting them until they fall over or until they drop it.  Whichever happens first.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 3:14:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I don't care which, someone pulls either on me....I'm shooting them until they fall over or until they drop it.  Whichever happens first.
View Quote

+1
Don't care.
Bang-bang---bang.

Kharn
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 3:14:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

With all due respect you dont know what your talking about short of googling images.  S&W does indeed have Black slides that are stainless from the factory and they are indeed stamped stainless.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except that's not a stainless slide.

This is what a stainless MP9c stainless looks like.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/mgm-content/sites/armslist/uploads/posts/2012/01/03/266580_01_s_w_m_p9c_special_edition_two__640.jpg

This is what a MP9C NON stainless looks like

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson2/upload/images/firearms/zoom_lg/206304_01_lg.jpg

Why the hell would S&W paint a stainless slide black? I'm not doubting you, I'm just curious as to why they would do that when they can matte blue a standard slide. Doesn't make sense to me.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 3:14:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Posting before I read all the comments.

I'm guessing the one on the right is fake because the backstrap isn't removable.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 3:16:49 PM EDT
[#44]
I actually don't know from looking.

A quick function check would clear up any confusion.

Orange tips?
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 3:19:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 3:22:18 PM EDT
[#46]
"unlawful possession of an imitation firearm"

Are you serious!?

Don't get me wrong, sounds like the officers did a good job with the arrest, but THAT is a bull shit charge that shouldn't exist!
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 3:23:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Clearly the real one is the one that doesn't say "M&P 9 Shield"

[imp]http://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/smiley_freak.gif[/imp]

The one on the left is the BB gun.
View Quote

I have a m&p9c in my hand right now. "the gun pictured on the left"
The one on the left is identical in every way to my real gun.
With the magazine inserted it even fills the gap in above the slide release identical to the pic.
I am wondering if the cops put in 2 real guns in the photo or that the fake is identical but has a toy barrel and fire group.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 3:25:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Not a fan of the M&P series, but even I knew that Smith has blackened stainless slides.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 3:27:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
mine says STAINLESS and is black  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No there are definitely black slide M&P pistols that say stainless on them.
mine says STAINLESS and is black  

Is it painted? If it really is stainless, it's not blued I know that much.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 3:27:47 PM EDT
[#50]
The one on the left is real.  See the seam at the base of the grip where the takedown tool is attached?  The M&P Compact is identical to that.  The one on the right does not have this seam and the removable grips don't have a tail like the one on the right.

jd1
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top