Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/12/2016 7:57:32 AM EDT
Your free PSA as a CPA who has tried to counsel people time and again of what to do and how to clean up the headaches left behind after ID theft.  Believe me the creditor calls, police reports, harassment, lost productivity caused by identity theft is immeasurable.

I'm not talking about the useless credit monitoring services, they are rip offs and useless.  I was given free credit monitoring by my insurer when my identity was hacked by the Chinese AND my wife's work when some bonehead emailed everyone's complete employee file (SSN, address, name, maiden name, etc.) to the ENTIRE COMPANY.  Two different credit monitoring services, neither even notified me when I applied for a new car loan.

With the thieves targeting doctor's offices and other places you use your SSN, you really have no choice.

-Go online to the three credit bureaus:  Equifax, transunion and experion.
-Find their credit FREEZE (not fraud warning) section
-Pay your $10 per member of your household to freeze your credit reports.  That prevents anyone from opening credit in your name, period.  I guess technically they can still open credit but it then becomes easy to say "you granted credit to a frozen file" for lenders that may not completely check credit.
-BY ALL MEANS FOLKS, keep the unfreeze pin numbers written down somewhere safe.  If you lose them you will be sorry, it's a pain to reset them and takes 3 acts of Congress and the signature of God.
-When you apply for a loan, ask them which bureau they use, pay the $3-5 fee to unfreeze it and life is good.

It also cuts down on junk mail and unsolicited phone calls.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 8:03:10 AM EDT
[#1]
so

pay to freeze it then pay to unfreeze it when you need it? Do you have to pay again to freeze it?

do you have to do this with all 3 companies or does it transfer?
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 8:07:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 8:07:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
so

pay to freeze it then pay to unfreeze it when you need it? Do you have to pay again to freeze it?

View Quote

You have to do it with all 3 to be completely covered.

You have to pay $3-5 to unfreeze it, but typically only have to unfreeze 1 in order to apply for a loan.  Just ask the lender which bureau they use and unfreeze that one....it's a one time fee to unfreeze it--you just specify the date you want the unfreeze to begin and end.

Very very simple and compared to the time, certainly measured in months & perhaps years, it takes to fight the after effects of id theft.....worth its weight in gold.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 8:09:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 8:10:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
so

View Quote

Discover does it for free.....just sayin'
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 8:12:11 AM EDT
[#6]
I work in sales and a lady client was in a couple of weeks ago talking about this like it was the best thing since sliced bread. She kept telling all of us that we really should do it.

It did peak my interest.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 8:12:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Should you do this on your kids credit also even though they have none?

Will they let you do this to your kids report?
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 8:12:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I hadn't heard of freezing one's credit.  I have LifeLock.

Does this just apply to opening new accounts?
View Quote

Lifelock is probably better than mine but believe me, if you are hacked, lifelock will have exception after exception as to their million dollar guarantee.  Instead of having to spend your time cleaning up the mess left behind, you'll have to spend your time micromanaging lifelock to do what they are supposed to do.  It's basically the same as prepaid legal.

Here's a little nonbiased feedback on lifelock:   Click to see why lifelock sucks

I would cancel lifelock and use one month's fees to freeze your credit.  Heck the CEO of lifelock (you know the one who published his SSN as an advertising tool) had his ID stolen 13 times and his company didn't help him.  I find that hilarious!!!!  

Not sure of the question.  Freezing your credit will prevent anyone who attempts to get credit in your name from doing it, if the lender checks a credit bureau.  It will not affect any loans or credit  you have.

Link Posted: 3/12/2016 8:13:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
so

I have a discover card.....just sayin'
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 8:17:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Should you do this on your kids credit also even though they have none?

Will they let you do this to your kids report?
View Quote

YES ABSOLUTELY.

Kids credit is one of the places these ahole scamsters hit (often via your child's pediatrician's office) because they know that Kids' credit rarely, if ever, gets checked because they aren't applying for loans, etc.  That means less chance the scamsters will get caught.

DEFINITELY do theirs.  Often the first indication of problems is when Johnny or Susie apply for student loans for College, try to get an apartment, or put a down payment on a home only to find out they can't close the loan because of scams.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 8:18:32 AM EDT
[#11]
I don't really need credit at this point in my life..... don't really care if it gets fucked.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 8:21:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I don't really need credit at this point in my life..... don't really care if it gets fucked.
View Quote

You are most assuredly trolling.  

In the remote 1% chance you are NOT trolling, you never know when you will need it to get a loan or pay some unanticipated medical costs.  When you need it without warning and find that your ID has been hacked, it will be too late.

Good luck
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 8:22:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

you don't need it until you "need it"

do you feel the same way about guns?
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 9:01:08 AM EDT
[#14]
This doesn't freeze your credit cards does it? Just loans?
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 9:09:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Done

Thanks, that was pretty easy
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 9:11:40 AM EDT
[#16]
I use Identity Theft Protecton for a small fee through Discover.  It notifes me quickly on anything hitting my reports and I log in and confirm it is valid.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 9:14:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Thank you VERY much.

I was wondering about how to protect myself this morning in the wallet thread.

You delivered.  
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 9:15:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

X2
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 9:19:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Doesn't look like it. But like someone put above, Discover allows you to lock out your card.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 9:21:23 AM EDT
[#20]
I use an alternative method, with the wife's assistance.

Anyone who stole my credit would call within 10 minutes begging me to take it back.....
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 9:23:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Tag for later investigation.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 9:27:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Tag for later investigation.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/12/2016 9:29:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Worth the price of a membership just for stuff like this.  Thanks OP.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 9:36:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

X2
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

X2

X3 very interesting
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 9:37:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
so

Is that just the card or does it lock down any new requests?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 9:43:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

A credit freeze prevents any new accounts being opened using your credentials. It has no affect on existing accounts whether a loan or a credit card.  I highly recommend a credit freeze, especially in light of all the big breaches in the last few years. The hassle factor is practically zero compared to trying to clean up the mess left behind by an identity theft.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 9:48:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

X3 very interesting
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

X2

X3 very interesting

You can still use your credit cards as you normally would.

I have my credit on "freeze" with all 3 bureaus.  There are no issues with using any accounts I had prior to the freeze. I actually forgot about it and applied for a new checking account at a bank. They denied the application because they couldn't access my credit file. If you're at a point where you don't plan on applying for new credit anytime soon, it is definitely worth it.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 9:49:46 AM EDT
[#28]
The credit monitoring services are nearly useless.  I recently opened up a credit card and TWO DAYS LATER I got a notification from my monitoring service that a new line of credit was opened in my name.    I'll be dumping them and using another product.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 9:51:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Don't really want mine to get fucked but im in the same boat, not really a lot there since we don't have any open lines of credit these days.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 10:05:38 AM EDT
[#30]
My credit is not stellar right now. If I freeze it my credit, will that keep my credit score where it is currently? Or does it just keep people from accessing it?
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 10:08:21 AM EDT
[#31]
I would like for somebody who has personally (not somebody they know) had a fraudulent charge made on their credit that did not get taken care of with no more than three phone calls, one letter, and two hours of time. I just don't believe these horror stories happen very often. Every fraudulent charge I've ever had was resolved with minimal effort.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 10:11:43 AM EDT
[#32]
Do the freeze.

But keep that password. Seriously.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 10:12:19 AM EDT
[#33]
OP,

Thank you.

Link Posted: 3/12/2016 10:15:40 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Do you have auto insurance?  What about renting a house/apartment?  Thinking about future employment?  Security clearance maybe?  All of these can be impacted by a negative credit score.  

Link Posted: 3/12/2016 10:15:53 AM EDT
[#35]
Wouldn't a fraud alert on each one acomplish the same thing? Assuming of course that you re-up every ninety days.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 10:20:22 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
My credit is not stellar right now. If I freeze it my credit, will that keep my credit score where it is currently? Or does it just keep people from accessing it?
View Quote

I want to know this as well.

Sucks being poor.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 10:25:22 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Sucks being poor.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sucks being poor.

since it doesn't affect your current credit accounts I wouldn't think it would affect your credit score...as long as you keep paying on your current accounts you should be good to go.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 10:28:03 AM EDT
[#38]

These are just for Equifax, anybody have links to the other two?
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 10:28:10 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Your free PSA as a CPA who has tried to counsel people time and again of what to do and how to clean up the headaches left behind after ID theft.  Believe me the creditor calls, police reports, harassment, lost productivity caused by identity theft is immeasurable.

I'm not talking about the useless credit monitoring services, they are rip offs and useless.  I was given free credit monitoring by my insurer when my identity was hacked by the Chinese AND my wife's work when some bonehead emailed everyone's complete employee file (SSN, address, name, maiden name, etc.) to the ENTIRE COMPANY.  Two different credit monitoring services, neither even notified me when I applied for a new car loan.

With the thieves targeting doctor's offices and other places you use your SSN, you really have no choice.

-Go online to the three credit bureaus:  Equifax, transunion and experion.
-Find their credit FREEZE (not fraud warning) section
-Pay your $10 per member of your household to freeze your credit reports.  That prevents anyone from opening credit in your name, period.  I guess technically they can still open credit but it then becomes easy to say "you granted credit to a frozen file" for lenders that may not completely check credit.
-BY ALL MEANS FOLKS, keep the unfreeze pin numbers written down somewhere safe.  If you lose them you will be sorry, it's a pain to reset them and takes 3 acts of Congress and the signature of God.
-When you apply for a loan, ask them which bureau they use, pay the $3-5 fee to unfreeze it and life is good.

It also cuts down on junk mail and unsolicited phone calls.
View Quote

Do what this man says.  To the "T"
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 10:28:24 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

You'll care if someone ever steals your ID and goes crazy.
The problems will find YOU.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 10:28:36 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Sucks being poor.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sucks being poor.

It doesn't freeze your score, it only prevents anyone from accessing your credit file.

If you had a need to apply for new credit, when you unfreeze, your score will reflect the current state of your various accounts, payment history, etc.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 10:30:25 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

https://freeze.transunion.com/sf/securityFreeze/landingPage.jsp

https://www.experian.com/freeze/center.html
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 10:32:08 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

LOL!

Your insurance company looks at your credit to determine how responsible you are.  Employers and landlords look at your credit to determine how responsible you are.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 10:34:49 AM EDT
[#44]
I've had mine frozen for about 10 yrs or so now. Bought and sold a couple houses, couple cars, blah, blah blah.

Yes you have to unfreeze all 3 (X2 if married) when you buy a house. Most others the company should tell you which reporting company they use and what name they ping with. You can unfreeze for a specific time period and even a specific company name.

Small price to pay for added security. I don't know how on earth more people don't know about this.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 10:35:11 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

I work in sales and a lady client was in a couple of weeks ago talking about this like it was the best thing since sliced bread. She kept telling all of us that we really should do it.

It did peak my interest.
View Quote
pique

Link Posted: 3/12/2016 10:35:25 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I would like for somebody who has personally (not somebody they know) had a fraudulent charge made on their credit that did not get taken care of with no more than three phone calls, one letter, and two hours of time. I just don't believe these horror stories happen very often. Every fraudulent charge I've ever had was resolved with minimal effort.
View Quote

It sounds like you are referring to a charge on your credit card.

This service keeps criminals from getting new cards that you don't even know about, or new cars or even mortgages
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 10:37:01 AM EDT
[#47]
Awesome.

If someone does get access to a loan I'm sure the creditor will still drag you through the mud though. Us how long before this method gets hacked.

Oh life sucks. There was a video of a robber being burned earlier. A lot of posters sympathized with him but honestly when you think about it f him. He's making everyone's lives worse and if he simply applied that energy to working he would have been better off.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 10:37:34 AM EDT
[#48]
OP is right people.  A few years ago when Rush and Hannity started pimping for Lifelock I signed up.  Some douchebag got a hold of my CC number and tried to order a bunch stuff from Dell.  Thankfully, Capital One caught it and didn't let the transaction go through and they canceled that CC number and issued me a new card.  Lifelock did nothing.  When I called them they initially told me I wasn't a member and had no record of me ever being a member.  It turned out after they did a bunch of checking and call transferring that I was a week past my year membership.  I never had ONE correspondence from them telling me it was time to renew.  Hell I never heard from them at all after they took my money.

That was roughly 4 years ago.  After my non experience with Lifelock, I went to the credit bureaus and froze my SSN.  One of them doesn't charge for the service.  Since then I have purchased a new home and got a loan for a lawn mower (which I paid off very quickly).  Is it a minor pain to unlock your credit to get a loan, maybe.  I don't see that way since I only do it once a year or so.  I shouldn't need a car for a few years so it may be a long time before I use my credit again.  Credit monitoring services are iffy at best, freezing your credit with the bureaus is absolute.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 10:39:21 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not a credit card, but someone in SC opened a cable company account and didn't pay and also downloaded enough movies/music illegally that I got a copyright infringement notification...had to file a police report, multiple calls with the cable company, multiple forms that had to be notarized...my house was broken into a couple of years ago and my file cabinet (along with pretty much everything else) was stolen...pretty sure that's where they got all my info need to open that account...it was a huge pita to get sorted out.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 10:40:37 AM EDT
[#50]
tag
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top