Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 10:50:08 AM EDT
[#1]
The vast majority of identity theft is by family members or others with access to your home.These habits will minimize the risk of someone finding your information.

Pay cash whenever you can.
Stop writing your SSN or CC number on anything that is not absolutely required.
Use ONE credit card for all of your purchases and pay it off every month.If you get hacked, stop paying THAT one credit card.  Don't pay anything else that isn't yours.
Shred CC and bank statements.
Use on-line checking to pay your bills. - DO NOT pay your bills with a credit card or over the phone.
Keep your credit cards, checkbooks, SSN, bank statements and all other financial info under lock and key in your home.
Never give a credit card to your SO or even your Mom if they don't follow these rules.

Link Posted: 3/12/2016 10:52:15 AM EDT
[#2]
I have had mine frozen for years with all three groups.  it is a slight pain in the ass, but I also buy about 1 thing every 5 years that I need to have a credit check on.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 11:01:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like I should get on locking my kids credit down anyway.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 11:05:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Discover does it for free.....just sayin'
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
so

pay to freeze it then pay to unfreeze it when you need it? Do you have to pay again to freeze it?

do you have to do this with all 3 companies or does it transfer?

Discover does it for free.....just sayin'

But that only locks that one already open line.

Freezing your credit reports is how to prevent scammers from opening new lines of credit under your name.

Cheers!
-JC
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 11:06:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Can you subscribe to lifelock and let them act as a liason between you and the reporting agencies?

Does lifelock have a freeze option you can turn on and off?
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 11:09:44 AM EDT
[#6]
A security freeze and fraud alert are not the same thing.

Security freezes are permanent (unless you lift them) and blocks anyone from accessing your credit file. It doesn't affect your current credit (unless you try and change it), just future credit inquiries.

It costs $10 to initiate the security freeze with each credit reporting agency ($30 total). It also costs $10 each to have the security freeze lifted (permanently or temporarily - $30 total).

It does work. I recently purchased a vehicle and house and on both occasions, I had to temporarily lift the security freeze for a week to allow the lenders to see my credit.

It's not fool proof. A good thief can make it past the security questions and lift the security freeze however, it will eliminate 99% of the identity theft problems. It won't stop someone from compromising your credit card however, it will stop someone from opening up a new credit card in your name.

I recommend everyone having a security freeze on their credit.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 11:12:43 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

The vast majority of identity theft is by family members or others with access to your home.These habits will minimize the risk of someone finding your information.

Use ONE credit card for all of your purchases and pay it off every month.If you get hacked, stop paying THAT one credit card.  Don't pay anything else that isn't yours.

Use on-line checking to pay your bills. - DO NOT pay your bills with a credit card or over the phone.

Keep your credit cards, checkbooks, SSN, bank statements and all other financial info under lock and key in your home.

Never give a credit card to your SO or even your Mom if they don't follow these rules.

View Quote
Is it really better to expose your checking account via on-line bill pay than expose your credit card via on-line bill pay?

Link Posted: 3/12/2016 11:15:16 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I don't really need credit at this point in my life..... don't really care if it gets fucked.
View Quote

how many more years are you in prison for your DUI?
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 11:18:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Done, done and done!

Thanks,

Sometimes you just got to love AR15.COM, even GD!
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 11:25:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Should you do this on your kids credit also even though they have none?

Will they let you do this to your kids report?
View Quote

You cannot freeze your children's credit until they have a credit report. If they have a loan or credit card, they will have a report, and then their accounts can be frozen. Maybe adding their names as an authorized user to one of your accounts will create a credit report for them.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 11:35:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Great advise in this thread. I honestly never knew this was possible. I'll be doing it when I get home later.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 11:36:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Done.

Pretty painless.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 11:37:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Done, done and done!

Thanks,

Sometimes you just got to love AR15.COM, even GD!
View Quote

Just froze mine as well!  

Glad I saw this post, thanks OP!
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 11:40:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

You can still use your credit cards as you normally would.

I have my credit on "freeze" with all 3 bureaus.  There are no issues with using any accounts I had prior to the freeze. I actually forgot about it and applied for a new checking account at a bank. They denied the application because they couldn't access my credit file. If you're at a point where you don't plan on applying for new credit anytime soon, it is definitely worth it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This doesn't freeze your credit cards does it? Just loans?

X2

X3 very interesting

You can still use your credit cards as you normally would.

I have my credit on "freeze" with all 3 bureaus.  There are no issues with using any accounts I had prior to the freeze. I actually forgot about it and applied for a new checking account at a bank. They denied the application because they couldn't access my credit file. If you're at a point where you don't plan on applying for new credit anytime soon, it is definitely worth it.

That was my only question as I was reading through this thread.  Seeing as i
never heard of this before.  Good to know.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 11:49:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Tagged
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 12:08:24 PM EDT
[#16]
I just did this a few months ago. Some one tried to take out a line of credit in my name but luckily was turned down as they did not have all my personal details. Only found out because the rejection letter came to me in the mail.

Froze my credit with a pin number. Got a free two year credit monitoring because our insurance company was hacked. Get monthly reports.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 12:16:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
tag
View Quote

Indeed

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 12:22:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Only time we've had problems has been someone getting our card number and using that card.  This wouldn't stop that at all.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 12:30:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Great advice
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 12:41:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Only time we've had problems has been someone getting our card number and using that card.  This wouldn't stop that at all.
View Quote

That's my question.  Sure, it will prevent someone from opening a credit card in my name, loan, etc, but freezing your credit still wont protect you from someone stealing your DC or CC number and making unauthorized charges.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 12:41:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

You cannot freeze your children's credit until they have a credit report. If they have a loan or credit card, they will have a report, and then their accounts can be frozen. Maybe adding their names as an authorized user to one of your accounts will create a credit report for them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Should you do this on your kids credit also even though they have none?

Will they let you do this to your kids report?

That is true.  One thing my folks did for me and I am doing for my kids is to add them as an authorized user then freeze.  I have a discover card that I basically use once or twice a year to keep active.  Discover reports every month regardless if there is any activity.  The kids are authorized users even though they are less then  10 yrs old.  They don't actually have a card or even the number or for that matter know they are authorized users, but they are building a credit history and have great scores.  I have also frozen their accounts.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 12:43:02 PM EDT
[#22]
I can attest, as a lender, that credit can be granted while your credit is frozen. People make mistakes and there's a lot if issues with automated approvals, but that mistake would be on them. OP is good advice, just don't be a dick to the lender if/when it's a pain in the ass to unfreeze it when you need credit.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 12:51:08 PM EDT
[#23]
I am a fraud investigator and I don't really agree with this. I've dealt with hundreds of people who have had cards fraudulently opened in their name and this is not as common anymore. It's more labor intensive for the bad guys, it leaves a lot of room for error, it's a lot easier to find the suspects, and it doesnt pay well.

Generally speaking people who are in possession of a victim's personal identifying information will more than likely attempt to gain control of your online banking and move money from your account, or counterfeit checks.

If an account is fraudulently opened in your name it's not a terrible process to have it removed. My recommendation is to watch your credit report, there are plenty of free services like Credit Karma and your ability to pull your credit reports once a year from Experian, Equifax and Transunion.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 12:53:35 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View Quote

I disagree. I seldom see this. Identities are constantly bought and sold on the dark web and a SSN will cost you about $0.19.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 12:55:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

That's my question.  Sure, it will prevent someone from opening a credit card in my name, loan, etc, but freezing your credit still wont protect you from someone stealing your DC or CC number and making unauthorized charges.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fixing a fraud charge on your CC is a simple repair.Get text alerts on your CC when a certain amount is charged and keep a close eye on the balances

Fixing your entire credit due to identity theft is an entirely different can of worms to fix.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 1:32:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I am a fraud investigator and I don't really agree with this. I've dealt with hundreds of people who have had cards fraudulently opened in their name and this is not as common anymore. It's more labor intensive for the bad guys, it leaves a lot of room for error, it's a lot easier to find the suspects, and it doesnt pay well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

You "don't really agree" with people taking a simple step to protect their credit and identity?  Who cares how rarely it happens, we have an option, and we should take advantage of it.

Generally speaking people who are in possession of a victim's personal identifying information will more than likely attempt to gain control of your online banking and move money from your account, or counterfeit checks.

And we should take appropriate measures to combat this as well.  Strong passwords/passphrases, never use the same password at different sites, two-factor authentication, etc.  Social engineering is definitely a weak point.

If an account is fraudulently opened in your name it's not a terrible process to have it removed. My recommendation is to watch your credit report, there are plenty of free services like Credit Karma and your ability to pull your credit reports once a year from Experian, Equifax and Transunion.

Why take the chance on having it happen in the first place?  I'd rather take the time to secure my credit, my "good name," if you will...than deal with some foreigner for weeks/months, trying to repair the damage done.

Quite frankly, your entire response makes me wonder if you're suitable for your supposed position as a "fraud investigator."    
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 2:10:26 PM EDT
[#27]
OP is right. Do it.

Last year I was OCONUS for two weeks. During that time someone initially tried to charge items using one of my credit cards. My credit card company denied the charges and froze my account until they got in touch with me. Since I don't use that card overseas and didn't currently need it, they canceled it and issued me a new one when I returned.

In the meantime, someone tried to open at least 40 or 50 new credit accounts in my name. But, I didn't know this until I returned to the States.

I now pay to keep my credit frozen. No one can open an account in my name unless it is unfrozen. I am notified if anyone does attempt to use my data.

So, if I need to apply for a loan, I unlock my account for that alone, and then it is relocked.

The amount of time that it takes clearing up the mess that occurs is unbelievable.

Just do it.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 7:04:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 7:08:20 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I work in sales and a lady client was in a couple of weeks ago talking about this like it was the best thing since sliced bread. She kept telling all of us that we really should do it.

It did peak my interest.
View Quote

*pique

Link Posted: 3/12/2016 8:15:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Wouldn't a fraud alert on each one acomplish the same thing? Assuming of course that you re-up every ninety days.
View Quote

Sorry fellas I checked out to go climb a freaking gigantic mountain, at least I got some ribs out of it from the local rib joint to restore my body's viscosity.

No, a fraud alert is better than NOTHING but barely.  Lenders do not have to honor a fraud alert and frankly--many lenders desperate for sales--don't go looking for them hard because doing so would cost sales.

The pure credit freeze is THE way to go--provided you don't loose that freaking unlock code.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 8:16:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
My credit is not stellar right now. If I freeze it my credit, will that keep my credit score where it is currently? Or does it just keep people from accessing it?
View Quote

It will only prevent people from accessing it, it will not affect your score.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 8:20:02 PM EDT
[#32]
If you have a security clearance you must unfreeze your credit during the initial investigation and during the periodic re investigations.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 8:24:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I would like for somebody who has personally (not somebody they know) had a fraudulent charge made on their credit that did not get taken care of with no more than three phone calls, one letter, and two hours of time. I just don't believe these horror stories happen very often. Every fraudulent charge I've ever had was resolved with minimal effort.
View Quote

Brother you couldn't be more wrong, I've seen people's lives turned upside DOWN.

It starts--usually--with a call from a creditor the person didn't have a loan with.
Then the mail.
Then the calls at all hours of  the day and evening from people calling them deadbeats.

That's when the victim doesn't find out when they go to apply for a loan for a home the Mrs. loves and just can't live without.  It usually ends up the seller says 'yeah too bad so sad' especially in hot markets.  Even when not in hot markets, it usually takes longer for the victim to wade through the numbers of fraudulent accounts opened in their names so they can prove they are credit worthy.

No one dies, no one goes to jail....it usually is limited to tons of calls, inability to get loans for cars/homes for an extended period of time, affidavits, police reports, certified mailings, notarized documents, etc.

When it happens to someone you know, you'll realize how life alerting this is.

There seems to be a lot of confusion in this thread.  I'm not talking about someone stealing your credit card and charging something you didn't buy (that's easy to fix), I'm talking loans in your name--even mortgages.  The larger the amounts the creditors are cheated out of, the less likely they are to just write it off.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 8:26:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

This USED to be the reality..... but the BLM EBT crowd has taken to getting jobs where your personal information is easily accessible, Doctor's offices primarily.  Many doctors fail to do any background checks on front-office crews and once they are in, they have access to thousands of records.

But there are a large number of family/related threads.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 8:28:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Can you subscribe to lifelock and let them act as a liason between you and the reporting agencies?

Does lifelock have a freeze option you can turn on and off?
View Quote

Check the Amazon.com reviews of lifelock.  Nearly 100% hate for them, based on experience.

I have two (2) credit monitoring agencies watching mine (for free) and neither notified me of a loan I took out on a vehicle more than a year ago.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 9:00:24 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
You "don't really agree" with people taking a simple step to protect their credit and identity?  Who cares how rarely it happens, we have an option, and we should take advantage of it.
And we should take appropriate measures to combat this as well.  Strong passwords/passphrases, never use the same password at different sites, two-factor authentication, etc.  Social engineering is definitely a weak point.
Why take the chance on having it happen in the first place?  I'd rather take the time to secure my credit, my "good name," if you will...than deal with some foreigner for weeks/months, trying to repair the damage done.

Quite frankly, your entire response makes me wonder if you're suitable for your supposed position as a "fraud investigator."    

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

When you see what I've seen you would understand. I've seen multi factor authentication get defeated resulting in multi million dollar losses. Monitoring your credit report, as I recommended is just as effective as freezing your credit report. As I mentioned fraudulently opening accounts has significantly dropped because the risk/reward is not worth their time. There is much more to gain.

The new(er) fraud trends typically involve targeting weaker sources such as your utility company or ISP to gain PII. I'm all for protecting your credit report but freezing it a) doesn't always work b) can be more trouble than it is worth.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 10:09:14 PM EDT
[#37]
http://www.transunion.com/credit-freeze/place-credit-freeze

OP....this link shows the COST per state.  Some states are free, some free with ID theft (to late, but ya).
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 10:19:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

No only have I seen it, I've helped many dig their way out of it.  I've seen so much of it, that I decided to host free clinics for the elderly (anyone is actually welcome) to help them avoid and recover from identity theft.

Furthermore, I design such systems, and it's my job to perform security audits on them.  On entire organizations, for that matter.

BS.  Be proactive (freeze), and reactive (reports).  Get both.

Again, BS.  It takes 30 minutes out of your day to freeze your credit reports, and even less time to unfreeze/freeze them when needed.

I seriously hope no one reading this thread buys into your nonsensical posts.

Freeze your credit reports people, and take advantage of your free annual credit reports.  Credit card companies and "fraud investigators" don't give a single solitary shit about you or your money.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

snip

When you see what I've seen you would understand. I've seen multi factor authentication get defeated resulting in multi million dollar losses.

No only have I seen it, I've helped many dig their way out of it.  I've seen so much of it, that I decided to host free clinics for the elderly (anyone is actually welcome) to help them avoid and recover from identity theft.

Furthermore, I design such systems, and it's my job to perform security audits on them.  On entire organizations, for that matter.

Monitoring your credit report, as I recommended is just as effective as freezing your credit report.

BS.  Be proactive (freeze), and reactive (reports).  Get both.

I'm all for protecting your credit report but freezing it a) doesn't always work b) can be more trouble than it is worth.

Again, BS.  It takes 30 minutes out of your day to freeze your credit reports, and even less time to unfreeze/freeze them when needed.

I seriously hope no one reading this thread buys into your nonsensical posts.

Freeze your credit reports people, and take advantage of your free annual credit reports.  Credit card companies and "fraud investigators" don't give a single solitary shit about you or your money.

Link Posted: 3/12/2016 10:38:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Yeah, I don't give a shit so much that my work has resulted in arrests including large fraud rings and recovering millions of dollars for victims.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 10:52:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

You have to do it with all 3 to be completely covered.

You have to pay $3-5 to unfreeze it, but typically only have to unfreeze 1 in order to apply for a loan.  Just ask the lender which bureau they use and unfreeze that one....it's a one time fee to unfreeze it--you just specify the date you want the unfreeze to begin and end.

Very very simple and compared to the time, certainly measured in months & perhaps years, it takes to fight the after effects of id theft.....worth its weight in gold.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
so

pay to freeze it then pay to unfreeze it when you need it? Do you have to pay again to freeze it?

do you have to do this with all 3 companies or does it transfer?

You have to do it with all 3 to be completely covered.

You have to pay $3-5 to unfreeze it, but typically only have to unfreeze 1 in order to apply for a loan.  Just ask the lender which bureau they use and unfreeze that one....it's a one time fee to unfreeze it--you just specify the date you want the unfreeze to begin and end.

Very very simple and compared to the time, certainly measured in months & perhaps years, it takes to fight the after effects of id theft.....worth its weight in gold.

Thank you for this. I live in SC and apparently it's free for me.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 11:00:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Edit: nvm
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 11:07:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Interesting, thanks!
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 11:09:45 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm moving to the woods with a chainsaw and an axe, don't need credit there and any human I see I'll eat.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 11:11:39 PM EDT
[#44]
I did this a couple of months ago. You get a PIN to unlock your credit when needed (sent to you via letter).

Depending on the state you live in, doing the freeze might be free for some people, especially if you've been a victim of identity theft.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 11:13:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I'm moving to the woods with a chainsaw and an axe, don't need credit there and any human I see I'll eat.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/12/2016 11:16:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
tag
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/13/2016 1:16:34 AM EDT
[#47]

I spoke with experian following the OPM breach and while YMMV they extended the security freeze on my account for free, and put an extended fraud alert on the account as well (7 years). Now the security freeze you have to do individually for each of the credit agencies, but the fraud alert apparently gets picked up across the board.

It struck me as weird that OPM wasn't advertising security freezes and fraud alerts following oh I dunno the largest security breach in history, and instead was focusing on credit monitoring. Wouldn't it be better to try to stop the initial theft rather than trying to pick up the pieces afterward? or are they just worried that the credit monitoring boards would slap them with a bunch of fees?
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 1:54:14 AM EDT
[#48]

Hmm.  We are house shopping right now and have a pre-approval letter.  So I'm thinking after we buy a house would be the time to lock everything down.  Very good to know, though.

Link Posted: 3/13/2016 1:32:04 PM EDT
[#49]
bump

Link Posted: 3/13/2016 2:07:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Done

Took me 30 minutes to do all 3 agencies for myself and the wife.

thanks for the advice OP!
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top