Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/27/2001 8:47:54 AM EDT
I have now bought several guns since the NICS went into effect.  There is a delay everytime I want to buy a gun.  I mean everytime.  They said its because I am a naturalized citizen. I have no criminal record.  Anyway to fix this? Its impossible to buy anything in a day.
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 8:52:20 AM EDT
[#1]
It does not surprise me I have purchased 3 guns in the past 2 yrs. Each time I had to make a second trip to the shop or show because of a 1 day delay in the instant background check.  Keep in mind I have a CCW as well. I can understand that there may be some crossup with names etc but they use your SSN anyway so theres no excuse in my books. If there is a problem once it should be cleared up for future checks but I guess they don't really care.
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 8:55:10 AM EDT
[#2]
It is not because you are a naturalized citizen. In fact, from what I have been told, there is no way to find out why you get delayed because the method of background check is supposed to be top secret. I too get delayed everytime and I was born in America and have two speeding tickets as my only brush with the law. I recently found out my father gets delayed everytime as well. There is no telling why but I do know that it is a pain in the butt to have to go back to the gun shop after an hour or so of waiting. Keep us posted if you find anything out.
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 8:59:59 AM EDT
[#3]
patriot_dave,

here in AZ if you show your CCW card they skip the backgroud check, and just fill out the yellow form.
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 9:04:00 AM EDT
[#4]
I've purchased around 10 guns in the past few years.  Each time I'm out the door in minutes.

Here are some potential trouble spots...

Do you write your SSN on the 4473?
Do you have a common last name?  
Have you written threatening letters to the Govt lately? heh.  j/k

Could be anything.
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 9:06:21 AM EDT
[#5]
ARDOC, In Michigan you can bypass the NICS by pulling a pistol PTP and using it to buy the long gun. There is a gun show this weekend and you should have time to get your permit. I will be there today and sat only after work. We have 3 or 4 tables just as you come in. Is there something you're looking for?
Ron
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 9:32:55 AM EDT
[#6]
This is just what I have heard so do not take it as gospel...it may only be Internet rumor.
If you have ever had an FBI background check for [i]any[/i] reason you will get kicked the first time.
I know in my case I have bought several guns since NICS went in and have been delayed every time.
I'm a retired LEO and never had as much as a parking ticket. But many, many long years ago I was giving an FBI back ground check in order to obtain a top secret security clearance. (As well as a background check for a few PD's.)
Now, again I do not know if this is true. Nor do I know if a naturalized citizen is given a back ground check. But if so that may be the answer.
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 9:36:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Not true in my case.
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 9:39:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Not true in my case either...

Link Posted: 4/27/2001 9:44:37 AM EDT
[#9]
I NEVER give my SSN....PERIOD, its optional, lets leave it that way...they know if they wanna know...hell, its THEIR number, ok?

For race I ALWAYS put American....that IS what I AM! Well, they got snippy one day, and the gun dealer didnt like their response any more than I did, and returned fire. Guess what? THEY WON! I went on delay for a year or so. Finally, fed up, during a delay I called. I was handfed BS, so I asked for a supervisor, more BS, another sup, FINALLY asked my name, etc...

Long story short, I am NOW on cash and carry, call and approve...I would suggest calling them. Any FFL has the consumer complaint line. They know who you are...if you dont think so, can I hear the pitch of your baaaaaaaa
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 9:45:20 AM EDT
[#10]
If you post on this board, for sure you will be delayed. Really, put the tin foil hats on now. MLB is watching from above.

I really Don't know.
c-rock
[url]www.illinois-shooter.org

Link Posted: 4/27/2001 9:55:30 AM EDT
[#11]
This will work in Michigan because we have done it along with other dealers. When you request a Pistol PTP the issuing PD does the background check and this takes care of the NICS. In July when the new CCW laws takes effect, those who hold the CCW will no longer go through the NICS for the long gun or be required to get a pistol permit. The Dealer will provide the customer the paperwork to take back to local PD for the safety inspection.
Ron
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 10:11:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the input guys.  Its interesting so many of us are having problems.  The only time I had a background check was when I joined the USNR.  Ron, I'll look for you this weekend in Mt. Clemens.

THANKS
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 10:19:03 AM EDT
[#13]
MLB is watching? Major League Baseball? I thought we watched THEM!?!?!?!?!?!
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 10:20:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Yup. I ALWAYS get a 2-3 hour delay.  No arrests, convictions or threatening letters to public officials, and I have my CCW.  Go figure.
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 10:23:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I NEVER give my SSN....PERIOD, its optional, lets leave it that way...they know if they wanna know...hell, its THEIR number, ok?
View Quote

Bah, My SSN is everywhere probably.  Who cares if it is one more place.

Besides,  I've heard the SSN is a big delaying factory when you don't include it.

Link Posted: 4/27/2001 10:41:33 AM EDT
[#16]
You people are probably tagged for use in the "audit" system.
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 10:44:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
MLB is watching? Major League Baseball? I thought we watched THEM!?!?!?!?!?!
View Quote

If you ever seen the simpsons, there is a epsode were MLB was watching over the town of springfield.  Its a joke
c-rock
[url]www.illinois-shooter.org
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 10:51:46 AM EDT
[#18]
I have been through at least two background checks (one when I aplied to the Naval Academy, and another when I applied for a NROTC scholarship) and when I go to buy a gun I am always in and out within the hour, so I doubt that the background check thing is true.

Kyle
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 11:09:18 AM EDT
[#19]
This is hilarious!  You guys are all positing these wild theories about why the NICS delays you.  None of them make a whole lot of sense.  If I had to guess why people get delayed, it would be:

1) You have the same or similar name to a known felon.
2) Their computers crash a lot and their workers are less than motivated to provide good "customer" service (don't ask me how they get away with calling us customers.  We are citizens to them).
3) They have insufficient staffing on the weekends to handle the high gun show call volume.

The rest of the ideas here are unsubstantiated rumors.

Fuck the NICS!
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 11:16:20 AM EDT
[#20]
I have a Top Secret clearance through the military, updated every couple of years, and after purchasing firearms in Hawaii and getting my CCW in the great state of Tennessee I feel like I have given my fingerprints a million times.  My background has been thoroughlly checked many times, I have never had anything more serious than a speeding ticket, always give my SSN, have an uncommon last name and I still get delayed, sometimes for more than a day even for a long gun.  I don't understand it, but it sure pisses me off.
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 11:28:58 AM EDT
[#21]
The first round of checks are not made by the FBI but through a contract house, these people do not have the complete files that the FBI has so when ever you request a check you will always get the same answer. If the first look can't clear you they have to look deeper, therefor the delay. Sometimes by adding your SSAN it helps but not always.
Ron
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 11:46:21 AM EDT
[#22]
CavVet, Are you saying they fixed the system so you don't get delayed? You got the number for that?

Before I got my CCW, I got delayed every time, usually for a day.
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 12:03:51 PM EDT
[#23]
I bought firearm this past year on what I believe was a three day weekend for the federal government and was delayed like two days.
I bought one during the week and it went through instantly.  
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 12:04:27 PM EDT
[#24]
I get delayed ever single time.  Like some of you here, my only brush with the law is traffic violations and I have not had one of those in 7-8 years.  It's complete BS.  My delay is only 5-10 minutes but it is still a pain in the ass.  Dealer goes through the you've been delayed BS then 10 minutes later they call back...proceed.  

I buy lots of stuff from AIM.  They told me probably 40% of their walk in customers get delayed.  Sonme for a few minutes, some for days.  

NICS SUCKS ans if they can't make it instant, then it should be gotten rid of.
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 12:53:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 6:47:21 PM EDT
[#26]
I live about 15 minute drive from were they do all the NICS checks. I know some people that work there and I too get about a 10-20 minute delay every time I buy a gun . I asked someone that worked there and they said once you get delayed you will get delayed for the rest of your life. something about a flag with your information shows up and they have to check more shit out. they said it doesn't mean anything is wrong on your check its just there screwed up system.
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 7:00:51 PM EDT
[#27]
I get delayed everytime and cannot get a check through on weekends.  If i go in the morning on a weekday the check takes about 5 minutes.
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 7:47:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 8:03:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Hey guys. I've NEVER been delayed.

Of course, I live in Illinois, and there's a waiting period on every firearm. Not to mention the FOID card, and NO CCW.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top