Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/1/2016 10:13:37 AM EDT
So I'm here in Central NY where our taxes fund NYC in exchange for them completely dominating our elections and imposing absurdly draconian, nanny-state laws for the largely rural area that makes up 90% of NY State.  But I digress...

I just got a letter in the mail from the Sheriff's office; it was a character reference form that I had been asked to fill out for a friend so that he, an active duty Army Officer with the 10th Mtn, can own a handgun (ridiculous right?).  All of the questions were about as I expected: "Has this person ever been arrested?" "Does this individual abuse drugs?"  "Does this individual engage in illegal activity?" (they asked about illegal stuff like 5 times lol.)

Then there was this last question that really rubbed me the wrong way.  "Does this individual engage with people of undesirable quality?"  What the hell does that mean?  Undesirable according to whom?  Drug addicts?  Homeless people?  Democrats?  Gruff farmers that speak primarily in profanity?  Obviously they're trying to learn if this guy hangs out with gang bangers and whatnot, but damn does it read wrong.  A person working a soup kitchen "engages with people of undesirable quality".  So does a Cop.  So does a nurse.  And regardless, who the hell cares what his associations are?  If he as an individual is in good standing, why should his associations be called in as reason to exclude him from owning a handgun?

This state sucks.  You all should move here and help sway the politics back towards freedom.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 10:16:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So I'm here in Central NY where our taxes fund NYC in exchange for them completely dominating our elections and imposing absurdly draconian, nanny-state laws for the largely rural area that makes up 90% of NY State.  But I digress...

I just got a letter in the mail from the Sheriff's office; it was a character reference form that I had been asked to fill out for a friend so that he, an active duty Army Officer with the 10th Mtn, can own a handgun (ridiculous right?).  All of the questions were about as I expected: "Has this person ever been arrested?" "Does this individual abuse drugs?"  "Does this individual engage in illegal activity?" (they asked about illegal stuff like 5 times lol.)

Then there was this last question that really rubbed me the wrong way.  "Does this individual engage with people of undesirable quality?"  What the hell does that mean?  Undesirable according to whom?  Drug addicts?  Homeless people?  Democrats?  Gruff farmers that speak primarily in profanity?  Obviously they're trying to learn if this guy hangs out with gang bangers and whatnot, but damn does it read wrong.  A person working a soup kitchen "engages with people of undesirable quality".  So does a Cop.  So does a nurse.  And regardless, who the hell cares what his associations are?  If he as an individual is in good standing, why should his associations be called in as reason to exclude him from owning a handgun?

This state sucks. You all should move here and help sway the politics back towards freedom.
View Quote

no
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 10:18:53 AM EDT
[#2]
The entire NE/Mid-Atlantic area will succeed at some point.  Mark my words.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 10:19:44 AM EDT
[#3]
They want to know who he flocks with...ya know birds of a feather flock together.

Does he hang with a reputable crowd or not?

Their  rules, like em or not.

What are you gonna do about it?
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 10:21:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I hope so.

The south will rise again...we just needed more help.  The people are starting to come around
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 10:22:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
They want to know who he flocks with...ya know birds of a feather flock together.

Does he hang with a reputable crowd or not?

Their  rules, like em or not.

What are you gonna do about it?
View Quote

Well, he does associate with OP.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 10:23:55 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:<snip>

This state sucks.  You all should move here and help sway the politics back towards freedom.
View Quote

Nope. All good people of NY should move away and help crash that state's tax base.

Link Posted: 3/1/2016 10:24:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Which county?

All my character references only got short phone calls.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 10:26:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

You're being asked if your friend is a person of ill repute or associates with people of ill repute.
The permit holder is supposed to be a person of good character
In my experience, 99% of the people answering those form letters all say the same thing
The NY permit process needs to be revamped and the character reference system changed.
No one uses a reference who will say something negative
Many people after doing a few character references for friends will refuse to do it again.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 10:27:55 AM EDT
[#9]

Answer that question "Yes, I remember him going to a Cuomo fundraiser."

Link Posted: 3/1/2016 10:29:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 10:31:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You're being asked if your friend is a person of ill repute or associates with people of ill repute.
In my experience, 99% of the people answering those form letters all say the same thing
The NY permit process needs to be revamped and the character reference system changed.
Many people after doing a few character references for friends will refuse to do it again.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You would think the background check and fingerprinting would be more than acceptable.

Someone told me in Tompkins that you actually have to have your references to into the sheriffs office to do their paperwork, how much of a pain in the ass is that for everyone.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 10:35:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 10:35:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Antiquated old crony bullshit system.

It would die in 5 minutes if all politicians running for public office were required to go thru the same level of BS scrutiny. Character references is a bag of dicks.

A permit to possess a handgun is more bullshit.

And a 3-6-9-15 month wait to get a permit is another way for the state to discourage people from OWNING handguns.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 10:47:26 AM EDT
[#14]
I don't recall needing to list references to obtain my carry permit in Florida or Virginia when I lived there.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 10:53:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

They want to control the rest of us, the other states will be the ones to have to secede from their union.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 10:56:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

And a 3-6-9-15 month wait to get a permit is another way for the state to discourage people from OWNING handguns.
View Quote

I had a 6 month waiting period just to review my application with the pistol office and SUBMIT it.  It's absurd and you're absolutely right.  The application is also so frustrating that it's easy to see how average folks would probably just give up.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 11:00:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 11:04:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

succeed at what?
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 11:04:07 AM EDT
[#19]
FPNI, as usual.

And what is this 'Permit' that you speak of?
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 11:06:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Yankee's gonna Yank.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 11:12:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Do these character questionnaire's shift liability for a claim against a person because they filled them out?

I assume this is part of a background check that the state requires for a permit.
Now the state is involving citizens in the process.
Does this become a liability issue?
You can't sue a gun manufacturer.
You can't sue the government.  Well, you can but it will be a huge effort.
So what about the guy that filled out the questionnaire vouching for the character of a person?
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 11:16:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I think people in other states don't get how many people in NY just never bother getting a handgun, even if they would just buy a .38 to throw in the sock drawer. The application process is a pain in the ass. I think I filled out less paperwork to apply to the NY Bar  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had a 6 month waiting period just to review my application with the pistol office and SUBMIT it.  It's absurd and you're absolutely right.  The application is also so frustrating that it's easy to see how average folks would probably just give up.
I think people in other states don't get how many people in NY just never bother getting a handgun, even if they would just buy a .38 to throw in the sock drawer. The application process is a pain in the ass. I think I filled out less paperwork to apply to the NY Bar  

On point.  For me, I waited a few years after I turned 21 to go through the process.  Since the application cost around $150 and cash was tight, and I would likely only get a "restricted" license (own, but not carry), there wasn't much point.  Why would I pay that much just to own another type of weapon?  If I was concerned for home defense, I could get a pump action shotgun for hardly any more than the price of the application.  Now, after recent attacks in recent years, I'm quite set on getting a CCW.  If they don't give it to me, I'll be a tad pissed.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 11:22:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

On point.  For me, I waited a few years after I turned 21 to go through the process.  Since the application cost around $150 and cash was tight, and I would likely only get a "restricted" license (own, but not carry), there wasn't much point.  Why would I pay that much just to own another type of weapon?  If I was concerned for home defense, I could get a pump action shotgun for hardly any more than the price of the application.  Now, after recent attacks in recent years, I'm quite set on getting a CCW.  If they don't give it to me, I'll be a tad pissed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which county? Unless it's tompkins you should be able to get a carry permit with a letter to the judge.

Cortland county is unrestricted, unless you ask for a restricted one.

The guy that did our class gave us the information for a few different ranges that are open 24 hours and require membership. He said "If you are in a non-carry county....I highly suggest getting a membership....and always be on the way to the range."
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 11:22:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well according to the left anybody in the military is of “undesirable quality" I mean if you don’t go to college you end up in Iraq.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 11:23:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 11:25:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Huh?  
View Quote

Over on NYfirearms I thought I read that in a lot of upstate counties that don't issue unrestricted, you just have to write a letter to get one.

Not sure of the validity of that though. I know over in Chenengo you have to take a CCW class before issuing unrestricted.

The whole county run permit system is stupid, it sucks how they all have different rules.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 11:27:36 AM EDT
[#27]
What happens if you note your friend knows Governor Cuomo?
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 11:28:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Which county? Unless it's tompkins you should be able to get a carry permit with a letter to the judge.

The guy that did our class gave us the information for a few different ranges that are open 24 hours and require membership. He said "If you are in a non-carry county....I highly suggest getting a membership....and always be on the way to the range."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Madison County.  Wasn't that bad until recently, now the judge won't give unrestricted to anyone.  I like that advice though
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 11:29:42 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

no
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This state sucks. You all should move here and help sway the politics back towards freedom.

no

LMAO, OP you should try stand up...
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 11:31:30 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Someone told me in Tompkins that you actually have to have your references to into the sheriffs office to do their paperwork, how much of a pain in the ass is that for everyone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

No, the forms get mailed to the references
The references may choose to personally drop them off at the office as a matter of convenience

Quoted:

That's changing even here
I have a few customers who've had their restrictions lifted by writing a letter to the judge
Quoted:

meanwhile the cops out by Utica arrested some poor schlub who was home visiting his family over Christmas because he had an unregistered pistol, ATTACK OF THE BAN STATE COPS!! lol

The permit requirement predates SAFE by a century, and like it or not the permits a requirement
Arrest is one tool in the tool belt
We picked up a guy the other day with an unregistered handgun and a FL carry permit and we're going the amnesty route with him.
And it's not the first time.
Everyone points to the arrests without realizing how many times the alternatives get used.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 11:32:51 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

we can only hope
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 11:33:40 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Answer that question "Yes, I remember him going to a Cuomo fundraiser."

View Quote

I would die laughing
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:26:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:28:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

succeed at what?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

succeed at what?

success
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:29:44 PM EDT
[#35]
"Does this individual engage with people of undesirable quality?"  = NY Politicians.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:30:41 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I did a character reference letter for a friend whose an attorney in Minnesota.

The whole time I'm thinking... "character reference to be admitted to the Bar - they already know he's a lawyer!"
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:33:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 1:13:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Holy shit that's bad advice!  He just made himself party to a lawsuit from anyone who takes that advice.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 1:15:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Holy shit that's bad advice!  He just made himself party to a lawsuit from anyone who takes that advice.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The only punishment for carrying outside your restrictions are administrative. The worst they can do is revoke the permit.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 1:16:58 PM EDT
[#40]
The only two things Alabama requires for a permit is $20 and a face.

Besides not being a felon obviously
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 1:26:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

no
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

no

Well that's a different twist.

But FPNI again. Sorry op.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 1:30:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

They are failing pretty hard right now.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 1:34:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Blacks sitting in the back of the bus was a requirement too.
View Quote

So now everything gov't does rises to the level of Blacks being forced to sit at the back of the bus?
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 1:35:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

While I don't recommend doing that, I do suggest people join NYSRPA and show a little support to those behind enemy lines.

Link Posted: 3/1/2016 1:56:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Wow, here they did a back ground check and took my finger prints. Lifetime permit obtained 3 months later. Sorry OP NY is a goner.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 1:59:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 2:02:54 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

All of this.

Link Posted: 3/1/2016 2:19:22 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

View Quote
Sorry OP, I went the other way on that one. A lot of People up there don't realize that the rest, or at least majority, of the country isn't that way with guns. Even a lot of gun owners are of the mentality that permits and bureaucracy is the standard for the country. When I tell someone up there that I didn't need a permit to bring my guns here they get confused. When I tell them I don't need a permit to buy a handgun they get confused. It is a losing battle there. Respect for those of you sticking out the fight, though.

Link Posted: 3/1/2016 2:22:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

no
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

no

The father in law has been trying to get me and the wife (his daughter) to move to the Rochester area. That's a big negative.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 2:23:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top