Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/1/2003 2:49:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Hmm, I'm pretty glad that I'm about to finish my Master's degree in counseling, cuz it seems that there is some definite job security out there.  Some of you fellas have some full blown compulsions and phobias. I'd better start to learn a bit more about cognitive-behavioral therapy to help you guys out...only $70 bucks an hour, but for you guys, let's just make it $50[;)]
Link Posted: 5/1/2003 2:52:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't know if this counts as a quirk but I do know it drives other people crazy.

I refuse to get into an argument. I know when I'm right and there's no convincing me otherwise. I state my case and, as far as I'm concerned, the conversation is over. Start yelling or cursing at me and one of us is leaving. I won't tolerate it.

This seems to really bother the women.
Link Posted: 5/1/2003 4:31:56 PM EDT
[#3]
God!  This is the funniest thread I have read all week! [ROFL2] And after the way this week has been going, I needed this!  I am sure I have my own quirks but I must bow to masters of the AR15 list.  You guys are truly the best, the whackiest, and the weirdist [hail2] Keep um coming!
Link Posted: 5/1/2003 4:57:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Before I dry fire a gun, I have to check the chamber three or more times before pulling the trigger.

That is one of the worst quirks I have.
Link Posted: 5/1/2003 5:03:05 PM EDT
[#5]
i specially order mayo to be put on any burger or sandwich i eat, cause down here they all automatically come with mustard

besides that, i cannot stand, absolutely drives me insane, to wear pants that are not starched, shirts dont make a shit to me

also, cant stand wearing anything but pants, the ONLY time you will find me in shorts is the off time that i might be swimming somewhere, no other times

and as far as the little quirks like wallet in this spot, snuff in this pocket, sure, we all have those

what also drives me insane is change.........in that, if i find a style of glasses or a specific boot or hat that i like, i buy it every time, never change, and when suddenly they discontinue that item and go to something new it just absolutely pisses me off

and i try to never go anywhere without a supply of cold beer close at hand!!!
Link Posted: 5/1/2003 5:32:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
what also drives me insane is change.........in that, if i find a style of glasses or a specific boot or hat that i like, i buy it every time, never change, and when suddenly they discontinue that item and go to something new it just absolutely pisses me off
View Quote

Ditto squared.  It seems like EVERY time I find something I like they change it.  I was in a major funk for weeks when I learned Converse filed for bankruptcy & it looked like there would be no more Chuck Taylor All-Stars...the only style shoe I've worn for the last 20 years (other than a slight flirtation with Vans).  I'm still irked that the new ones are made in Indonesia rather than the USA...
Link Posted: 5/1/2003 5:37:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I clean my ears out with q-tips about 5 times a day.  I love those little things!

Keving67
Link Posted: 5/1/2003 5:41:55 PM EDT
[#8]
this is a must (in terms of 'pet peaves').

I DON'T DATE DEMOCRATS!!! i don't care how pretty they are ( i've been out with a few hot ones before the truth comes to surface. but NO fucking way!!). the other: if i hear you chewing your food, you're driving me nuts. if you dare turn on "trading spaces", find another date.

my personal one; buy myself dinner before i masturebate or i'm NEVER calling me again!!! [smoke]
Link Posted: 5/1/2003 5:44:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Must wash hair every day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If I don't I can lube my car and the guys down the street, and I must wear a hat if I don't wash my hair.
Link Posted: 5/1/2003 5:48:57 PM EDT
[#10]
This thread cracks me up.

My quirk is towels.  I hate to touch dry ones unless they are plush and have had liquid fabric softener on them.  When the skin on my hands is really dry it's much worse.

I like mayo.  mmmmm mayo!

My wife has lots of funny quirks.  Doesn't like to touch the tub or sink with bare skin.  Use to wear latex gloves or sandals to do the dishes or take a shower.  She hates the sound of plastic silverware squeaking and freaks out over cotton balls.  The feel or sound of it tearing can make her flip.  I love teasing her with aspirin bottle cotton.  Doesn't seem to mind Q tips or cotton clothing though.

H
Link Posted: 5/1/2003 6:01:29 PM EDT
[#11]
After reading these posts I feel a litle better about myself, but I still have lots of weird quirks.  Here are a few (but not all, by far)

1)  I ABSOLUTELY, under NO CIRCUMSTANCES, will eat raisins.  I think it began as a kid when I kept on being afraid that there was a dead fly inside of them, and I couldn't see it because the fly and the raisin were the same color.

2)  If a whisker grows on my cheek, I have to pull it out.  Chin, sideburn and upper lip is fine, but if there is a hair on my cheek, I go nuts until it's out.

3)  I guess this is a good thing, but I cannot stand to litter, even if it's just a kleenex.  When I see litter on the ground (especially things like bottles, boxes, cans, etc.  I get pissed off.

4)  I get great comfort in having small, cool, pointless doodads.  One of them, right now, is a piece of grenadilla wood that is made into a cube.  Something about holding that or something like it just comforts me.  I can't explain it.  It can't be something common like a bottle cap or gravel or something, and it has to be very hard to damage.  For example, even something awesome like a piece of shuttle tile wouldn't do it.  I've had LOTS of these objects over my life.
I also collect weird things.  I spent weeks and weeks a few years ago burning wood and extracting the soluable solids from it (which is mostly potassiom carbonate, a somewhat strong base).  Hours and hours and hours of hard work, and what do I have?  A small jar of purified crystals that I could buy from a chemical store for a dollar or something.  And yet, if I had the time right now, I'd do it again.  I guess it's that even though it's not a rare thing (in fact it's very easy to get cheap), it is special to me because the stuff in that jar, unlike the stuff you can get at a chemical store, took a LOT of work to get.
I also collect tiny glass beads that I make from whole wheat spaghetti (it has to be whole wheat).  Burn the spaghetti to a black strand, and put the very tip into a gas stove.  It takes great patience, and you have to know what you're doing to get a glass bead.

I have lots of other quirks, but they're mostly tiny things that aren't that interesting.
Link Posted: 5/1/2003 10:02:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Before I dry fire a gun, I have to check the chamber three or more times before pulling the trigger.

That is one of the worst quirks I have.
View Quote
That doesn't qualify as a quirk that is triple redundant brain exercise....
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 5:54:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Ditto squared.  It seems like EVERY time I find something I like they change it.  I was in a major funk for weeks when I learned Converse filed for bankruptcy & it looked like there would be no more Chuck Taylor All-Stars...the only style shoe I've worn for the last 20 years (other than a slight flirtation with Vans).  I'm still irked that the new ones are made in Indonesia rather than the USA...
View Quote

The solution is to stock up.  If you find a shoe that works for you and you're resistant to style changes (as I am...I'm a very conservative yet casual dresser), then you go out and buy ten more pairs or however many you think will last for the rest of your lifetime.

Some of you have pointed out behaviors that I also share but hadn't considered them to be quirks until now.  Gee, thanks, guys![buttkick]

I tend to get somewhat fixated on a subject of great interest and stick with it for a matter of some months before I wear it out, and then I'll lay it down and not bother with it for months or years.   I'm doing that less these days and maintain a more steady but relaxed pace.  So I have several hobbies at onces, and I work on them in turn, rather than focus on just one to the exclusion of all else until I burn out on it like I used to.

CJ

Link Posted: 5/2/2003 6:01:25 AM EDT
[#14]
My quirk is locking doors.  I don't know what the deal is.  When I leave the house, I lock the door and I know I locked the door.  Then I'll get ready to leave and think "Did I check the door to make sure it latched?" I know I did but I still have to check.

-Nuke
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 7:05:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Because of my sciatica I found that sitting Indian style stretches out the nerve and decreases the pain. When I sit at my computer I put a footstool under my desk that is level with the seat of my chair so I can sit that way.
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 8:43:39 AM EDT
[#16]
I can't eat fruit raw, makes me gag. My kid is the same way. Now put it in a pie or something and I can handle it.

Garbage,YUCK! wont touch it. I Put gloves on to move the can to the road.

But I can go with out a shower for days and luv mayo.
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 12:04:05 PM EDT
[#17]
I get divorced, then go out and find a new woman. Don't really know why. Expensive habit though.
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 12:13:56 PM EDT
[#18]
My quirks:

1) I wears socks 99.8% of the time.  The [b]only[/b] time I take them off is when I bathe.

2) I'm a mayo hater.  It's mustard or Miracle Whip for me.

3) I can not stand celery.  The smell of it makes me nauseous, especially when it's boiled.

TS
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 12:16:55 PM EDT
[#19]
clarification:  i thought mayo included miracle whip, but either way i like both LOL

and speaking of locking your doors, i had to look for my house key the other day forever, its nice to live somewhere you dont have to worry about locking up anything
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 4:23:15 PM EDT
[#20]
I search carefully for any hairs that may be growing out of my ears.  If any show up that are big enough to notice and pluck,  they get plucked.

I pluck nose hairs if they are far enough forward that I can reach them with my fingernails.

Occasionally,  I use a magnifying mirror and with its help, I squeeze out the whiteheads from the pores in my nose.  It's worth the effort because my nose looks better after the pores shrink after being emptied of crap.  

I love it when I squeeze the occasional zit and it explodes and splatters the mirror at a range of several feet.  It feels good when it does that.

I carefully protect my longest pubic hair, which is at least six inches long, as it may eventually put me in a book of world records.

I sometimes make up outlandish lies about my personal habits just to gross people out for no good reason.

CJ

Link Posted: 5/2/2003 5:53:54 PM EDT
[#21]
From DoubleFeed, "Cowboy boots last a LONG time "

Tell me about it!  I have a pair I bought in 1970!  They're comfortable!
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 6:13:40 PM EDT
[#22]
I cant eat onions at all, if i accidently ingest one I usually puke or come damn close.
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 6:15:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 6:24:58 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

i got this one too

I have a picture of me when I'm five years old, and i'm dressed the same way i do now (25 years later) when i'm not at the office

boots, jeans, tshirt, tucked in flannel shirt

this stuff went over real well when i was in school and the 'cool thing' to do was to roll the bottoms of your jeans so that they were tight around your ankles. so fuckin dumb.

and i got pissed when redwing boots went chinese and discontinued the model i'd been wearing for five years

Link Posted: 5/2/2003 11:53:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Just when I was starting to worry about my obsessive/compulsive behavior, you guys go and make me realize I'm not all that bad. :)
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 12:45:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 1:18:24 AM EDT
[#27]
I love to drink Diet-Coke....but I only drink it flat.....I'll shake the fizz out of it, before I drink it....I only buy it in the 20 oz bottles or 2 or 3 liters bottles so I can "de-fizz" it.......also, my GF leaves the kitchen cabinet doors open, and for some reason it makes me nuts. I'll slam the piss out of them when I find them open........also, I LOVE mayo, I usally spread it on BOTH sides of the sandwhich bread or hamburger bun.....
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 6:04:07 AM EDT
[#28]
... I have an uncontrollable urge to always perform cunninglingus until orgasm. Won't stop until she experiences severe tremors, clinching, groaning, moaning and produces copious amounts of moisture. Can't stop until she's in an extreme state euphoric arousal. Inducing the cruelest form of sexual frustration by denying her "the act" until begged for. This can change even the most timid, conservative woman into a savage animal tigress.

... [:P]
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 8:08:55 AM EDT
[#29]
Me, too!

If you don't have to scrape her off the ceiling when you're done and your back doen't need stitches from her fingernails,  you didn't do your job right!

You know you've done it right when you wake up the next morning and your face feels like a glazed donut!

CJ
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 2:34:55 PM EDT
[#30]
my damn tongue actually was sore the next day once!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 4:01:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The only exception I can think of is fresh Krispy Kreme donuts. Which brings me to another quirk. Put a dozen Krispy Kremes in front of me and turn your back, I'll eat at least 9 of them. The only reason I'll leave 3 is because I know I'll want more again in an hour.
View Quote

[puke]
dude, those nasty things???
ohhh, man. I feel for ya.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 7:15:56 PM EDT
[#32]
What are you, nuts?  

Man, when it comes to junk food, there is NOTHING in the whole damned world that's better than hot, fresh, Krispy Kreme glazed donuts.  (I don't eat anything but regular glazed.)

Heaven MUST have Krispy Kreme donut stores where they're always hot, always fresh, and always free.  If you die and go to a place where there are no such stores, sorry, you went DOWN instead of UP.

There's nothing better. (within the junk food catetory)

CJ
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 7:46:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Cannot sleep with socks on, it just wont happen.

I also change them 3 or more times per day...

fingernails have to be just the right length...
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 8:15:36 PM EDT
[#34]
If i hear chewing noises or people licking their fingers or smacking gum against their teeth, i really have a difficult time not punching them.  I'm serious.  I have to restrain myself.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 8:26:03 PM EDT
[#35]
I have to clean and dry my bathroom sink every time after I use it. I think it's called OCD.
AB
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 8:33:29 PM EDT
[#36]
After I shoot ANY rifle, I ABSOLUTELY POSITIVLY "GOD-IS-MAKING-ME-DO-IT" MUST CLEAN  AND POLISH ALL MOVING PARTS THAT MAKE METAL ON METAL CONTACT UNTILL THE ACTION IS DAMN NEAR SILENT!!!  AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Yea, its a tough day when I take 4-5 rifles to the range.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 8:34:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Just when I was starting to worry about my obsessive/compulsive behavior, you guys go and make me realize I'm not all that bad. :)
View Quote

I hear that! Some very dark folks here. It's a good thing.
AB
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 10:55:14 PM EDT
[#38]
I will 'clean' a weapon that has been sitting in the safe even if I didn't take it to the range, 'cause I don't want it to feel lonely.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 10:56:57 PM EDT
[#39]
I also religiously detail-strip all firearms (to the fullest extent possible) after a range trip.  I can't stand it when I go shooting with someone and all they do is swab out their barrel with a boresnake and call it good. I've taken a friend's rifle and shotgun home with me and detailed them myself because I couldn't stand to see a dirty gun put back in the case for a month's storage.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 10:59:39 PM EDT
[#40]
I can't stand to leave my boots sitting together paired with the sides reversed ( left on right, right on left ).  When I go to sleep, the toes of the boots must point directly away from my bed.  ( Old Irish Tradition / Folklore )
Bonus Points: Anyone know the folkstory relating to this behavior?

- Nw -
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 8:22:49 AM EDT
[#41]
This is a great post. I have many quirks but here is a few
1. I will only write with black ink, I hate to carry a pen but I will, too often I have to sign something and I am handed a blue pen and I'll go to my truck to get a black one.Any other color just seems unofficial.

2.This one is tough to explain but I always wear two t-shirts, if its hot I wear an undershirt and a t-shirt minimum, if I am wearing polo type shirt I have on two undershirts. It drives me nuts to see somebody with a button down shirt and no under shirt.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 8:52:34 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 9:49:22 AM EDT
[#43]
Miracle Whip is fermented mayo.  Nasty disgusting shit [puke]

I used to not be able to have food touch each other on the plate.  Now I can let it all mix. doesnt matter any more.

I can't watch or hear anyone else brush their teeth, makes me gag.

I also cannot brush my own teeth too far back, makes me gag.  I have to use a mouth wash, but I cant gargle, makes me gag.

I seem pretty normal now, thanks guys!
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 11:01:23 AM EDT
[#44]
Mayo, Miracle Whip, whatever... it's all EVIL, EVIL, EVIL!!!

DrMark
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 11:26:54 AM EDT
[#45]
Ditto on the mayo shit.  You put mayo on my burger, I'll jump through that drive-through window and beat you down!

Had a roomate (that was a skanky stripper) who had a friend (another skanky stripper) that always thought I was gay, because I didn't have a girlfriend.  So I'm a nice, well dressed clean cut white guy without a girlfriend... Anyway, roomate offers to make me a sammich one day, and asks if I want mayo on it.  (skank friend is there at the time) I says hell no, don't put that shit on my bread!  Roomate comes out and enthusiastically declares that I'm not gay.  (she should know... she went down on me and I liked it plenty, but I wouldn't hit that with Imbroglio's dick)

Quirks are that I do NOT like going into my bedroom or bathroom with shoes on.  It just feels WRONG for some reason.  

I stick to a plan.  If I want to go get x, y and z errands done, I'll go do them, even if I have to blow friends off and put off other crap.  I hate changes in my flow or my plans.  

I can't leave messages in my inbox (email inbox) unread.  It drives me nuts!!  

Link Posted: 5/4/2003 11:28:17 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 11:31:01 AM EDT
[#47]
.............which reminds me, im ALWAYS early, if im supposed to be somewhere at 12:00 say, then im going to be there at at least 11:45

and likewise, it just pisses me off to no end when somebody is late
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 12:22:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 2:05:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 2:14:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Count me in with the clean sock bunch. Each sock has to be on the correct foot, can't be taken off and put back on in same day, and right foot first for sock and shoe.

Lettuce makes me sneer, but I still eat it.

MM419
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top