User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:37:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Threats from a useless turd of a govenor.  He had no problem giving all his cronies in state government raises.  How about we just cancel all of his fundraisers, se the govenors mansion and move him into section 8 housing to save some money.  Bug eyed jackass
View Quote

That Mfer is wall eyed, something ain't quite normal between those ears. Took him all of about 3 days after his inauguration to start his ploy of raising taxes. What a typical liberal dick
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:44:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

No, very few (athletic programs), most run in the red, there are only a handful of the Div 1 that are actually run like a business.

Edit: Granted its old, but this is the most recent one I could find. Here

Edit: I meant the whole athletic program, not just football by itself.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's surprising.  I thought most of the "big" Div I schools' football programs were pretty much self-sufficient from booster/outside money anyway.

No, very few (athletic programs), most run in the red, there are only a handful of the Div 1 that are actually run like a business.

Quoted:
Quoted:
That's surprising.  I thought most of the "big" Div I schools' football programs were pretty much self-sufficient from booster/outside money anyway.

Tennessee football has funded the entire athletic department for a long time.

Both are correct. Football carries much more than its weight but depending on how many collegiate sports a school has, it may not be enough. I'm pretty sure that if it came to budget cuts, field hockey and badminton are getting the ax before NCAA football.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:52:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Both are correct. Football carries much more than its weight but depending on how many collegiate sports a school has, it may not be enough. I'm pretty sure that if it came to budget cuts, field hockey and badminton are getting the ax before NCAA football.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't forget Title IX.  Schools are going to have to axe a male sport for every female sport that goes.

Soon, there will only be football, men's/women's basketball, baseball, women's volleyball and softball.

They should start lopping off some of the superfluous degrees and professors if they want to balance the state budget.

Chris
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:02:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Facing a budget crisis, Louisiana Gov. John Bel Edwards says higher education in the state could be compromised. And that includes the possibility of college athletics in Louisiana being canceled.

...Edwards said campuses could run out of money and be forced to shut down in April, highlighting the LSU football team as one program that could be lost as a result of massive cuts to higher education funding.
View Quote

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/14764642/louisiana-gov-john-bel-edwards-threatens-future-lsu-tigers-football-tax-proposals-passed

View Quote

Do it! Do it!  I dare you!
FJBE
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:03:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I thought 940 million was bad until I read that next year they expect to have a 2 billion dollar shortfall. How in the world?!?!

Edit: "the state will face a similar problem the following fiscal year, when Louisiana faces a $2 billion budget shortfall" I wonder if that is on top of the 940 million this year.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
"The Democratic governor is pushing for tax increases to help make up a $940 million budget deficit by the end of June."

How the hell did they run up a $940 million deficit?  Isn't this Edwards (D) first year?  And wasn't Jindal (R) the previous governor?

I thought 940 million was bad until I read that next year they expect to have a 2 billion dollar shortfall. How in the world?!?!

Edit: "the state will face a similar problem the following fiscal year, when Louisiana faces a $2 billion budget shortfall" I wonder if that is on top of the 940 million this year.

oil revenue is way down.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:04:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:06:40 PM EDT
[#7]
This bug eyed fuck is gonna be in a crawfish trap before its over.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:06:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Only a matter of time before "we gonna burn everything if you cancel football cause that's all we got".
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:06:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, but we are bad asses.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:07:01 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm having so much fun tormenting the morons who voted for this guy

"Oh look, you elected another Edwards and it took three fucking weeks to reveal himself as a greasy little extortionist."
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:16:12 PM EDT
[#11]
I certainly hope not!
My Razorbacks always look forward to that "W" on their schedule.  
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 4:13:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Wait until they get done investigating all the alleged rapes/sexual misconduct by the athletes in big name colleges. It will make being broke look like a picnic.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 4:14:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

LSU, some of the most rabid foosball fans in all of college sports.  Riiiiiiiiiight...

I think they will have all the money they need for their silly game this fall.  STEM classes may not get gas for their Bunsen burners, or new equipment for the labs, but there will always be silly games at their institute of higher "learning".
View Quote

Because the University of Wisconsin would never put football on a pedestal.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 4:15:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Considering LSU football donates $10 million per year to the general LSU fund for the last 10 years it won't happen.
View Quote

This year it was $12 million.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 4:19:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Don't forget Title IX.  Schools are going to have to axe a male sport for every female sport that goes.

Soon, there will only be football, men's/women's basketball, baseball, women's volleyball and softball.

They should start lopping off some of the superfluous degrees and professors if they want to balance the state budget.

Chris
View Quote

I was always impressed at the women's field hockey stadium at UNC when I went there.  (Do they even have men's field hockey?)  I used to see it every day.  Nice facility.  Stands, everything.  Empty year round.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 4:29:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I was always impressed at the women's field hockey stadium at UNC when I went there.  (Do they even have men's field hockey?)  I used to see it every day.  Nice facility.  Stands, everything.  Empty year round.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chris

Honestly, so are the baseball/softball fields.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 4:30:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 4:31:47 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Do you know how much money LSU football brings in?

Riiiight....
View Quote

This.  
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 4:40:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
"The Democratic governor is pushing for tax increases to help make up a $940 million budget deficit by the end of June."

How the hell did they run up a $940 million deficit?  Isn't this Edwards (D) first year?  And wasn't Jindal (R) the previous governor?

Louisiana budget is a disaster.  All revenue categories are down.  The drop in oil prices has crippled the state.  The worst part is they only have a third of this fiscal year to make up that deficit.  Louisiana is in a recession all their own.  It really is ugly down there.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 4:42:03 PM EDT
[#20]
I'd pay $ to see LSU cancel their football season....

I'm not even an alumni of a SEC school either !
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 4:47:29 PM EDT
[#21]
I want Jindal back.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 4:51:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If LSU is like the other SEC schools, football revenues pay for all the other sports, plus a tidy profit. They might cut other stuff, but not playing football will never fly. Jindal would be LITERALLY run out of town. It would get ugly.
View Quote

Not Jindall doing this. This is being done my the newly elected Democrat Governor.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 4:54:30 PM EDT
[#23]
That new Dem Gov is pulling all the stops to jack up La. taxes!  My son has loved living down there but this gov may soon change that.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 4:59:01 PM EDT
[#24]
That idiot seems to have forgotten that he lives in the same town as LSU. Scariest fans ever.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 5:00:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

That was my understanding of at least some schools (PSU for exAmple).  The football program is self funding.  It and scholarships don't come from university funds or taxpayer money. All from tickets, donations and TV revenue.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 1:59:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I'd love to see college sports go away completely.
View Quote

Got picked on a lot by jocks, huh?
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 2:07:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Is he trying to not get reelected, because that's how you get voted out screwing with LSU football?
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 2:11:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/17/2016 2:11:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Ehh...It just college ball...

Link Posted: 2/17/2016 2:15:15 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I want Jindal back.
View Quote
Lol I remember the haters. And yet. When the demagoguery comes out. And the taxes go up. ALL OF YOU who bitched about jindal will have a nice big bowl of crow gumbo.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 2:16:11 PM EDT
[#31]
This thread is full of derp. The season would be cancelled if classes get cancelled due to a 900 million shortfall. Any player that revived an incomplete will be ineligible to play. There can be no football without academics.

Also there ain't no F'ing way the legislature let's that happen. We will take foods from the poor and shelter from the homeless first. Also being considered for cuts healthcare. If you get dialysis you may only get one treatment a week plus emergencies. GL don't die.

Link Posted: 2/17/2016 2:21:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Governor Edwards should absolutely take action that will directly result in LSU losing a season of football.  He will be greatly admired for his leadership, his popularity will soar and this will virtually guarantee him huge numbers of votes in his next re-election campaign.  This has all the hallmarks of a well thought out plan indeed.
View Quote

Agreed...Roll Tide
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 2:21:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Zero fucks
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 2:42:38 PM EDT
[#34]
In Florida the boosters pay for all athletics.  The scholarships, the equipment, the facilities.

Taxpayers shouldn't be funding football.

I like to watch FSU so I'm willing to pay.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 3:23:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Not. Gonna. Happen.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 10:06:50 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LSU, some of the most rabid foosball fans in all of college sports.  Riiiiiiiiiight...

I think they will have all the money they need for their silly game this fall.  STEM classes may not get gas for their Bunsen burners, or new equipment for the labs, but there will always be silly games at their institute of higher "learning".

Are you kidding?  

That program is on such a high pedestal it can never be brought down.

I didn't just mean LSU when I made those comments.  Sports will always dominate what America considers a higher education, especially football.  Real classes will feel the burn before football takes a hit.

Sports should be removed from schools entirely and moved to intramural or city sides.  It's too much of a distraction and it leads to a protected class of people within the schools.

Link Posted: 2/18/2016 10:10:03 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Threating to cancel a football game due to lack of money
View Quote

You can almost visualize the meeting that gem came from.  "Hey, let's threaten to cancel Tiger football"....That will loosen up their wallets.  
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 10:10:34 AM EDT
[#38]
I bet Dave Aranda is rethinking his dash for money.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top