Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 2/11/2016 2:47:47 PM EDT

Someone posted these pics on r/guns and he has no idea what caused it. He said he was shooting Wolf steel cased ammo. I've never seen the bolt carrier peel apart like that.

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 2:49:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Nothing useful to add, but DAMN!!!
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 2:50:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Second picture.
Look at the round on the far right. That's quite the deformed case.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 2:51:38 PM EDT
[#3]
What does your face look like?
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 2:51:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 2:52:06 PM EDT
[#5]
That is crazy, Ive never seen a kaboom that severe. Hope the guy is OK and not a lefty.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 2:52:29 PM EDT
[#6]
The UTG red dot caused all this to happen
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 2:53:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Probably his foam cutting job.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 2:53:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Looks like someone tried to fire a GLOCK  through an M4
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 2:53:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes, I know what caused this.

A "just right" level of overpressure seized the bolt and extension together. The gas had nowhere to vent fast enough, so the carrier grenaded. That's the damage that results from this incredibly uncommon failure. Lower pressure and lugs shear which vents the gas safely, higher pressure and the barrel/bolt fracture which again vents the gas.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 2:53:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have the same one on my .22lr AR. I really like it for the money.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 2:53:33 PM EDT
[#11]
With Russian ammo, bullet shoots gun!
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 2:54:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Classic lack of over lubrication.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 2:54:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

The only injury was to the shooter's shoulder, he's otherwise unharmed. This is from /r/guns.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 2:54:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Second picture.
View Quote

I'd guess that one was at the top of the mag during "rifle go boom" time.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 2:54:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its only a matter of time
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 2:55:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Looks like wrong powder or way over charged case.That gun Grenaded like a pipe bomb.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 2:55:31 PM EDT
[#17]
To answer the question in the title, yes, I do know.

Physics. It wins every time.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 2:57:06 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

A "just right" level of overpressure seized the bolt and extension together. The gas had nowhere to vent fast enough, so the carrier grenaded. That's the damage that results from this incredibly uncommon failure. Lower pressure and lugs shear which vents the gas safely, higher pressure and the barrel/bolt fracture which again vents the gas.
View Quote

How is that possible if some guns feature the ability to turn gas off to prevent the bolt from cycling or opening?
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 2:57:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Going with an under loaded "squib" round fired with the projectile stuck in the barrel, followed by firing a normal round resulting in crazy high chamber pressure. See how the barrel extension ruptured, and the bolt never unlocked?
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 2:57:29 PM EDT
[#20]
You just fill the case up to the top with whatever powder is cheapest, right?

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 2:57:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

The kind of overpressure from a case with too much or the wrong powder or perhaps a barrel obstruction.

At least no one said it was fired out of battery

(yet, this is GD)
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 2:58:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Second picture.

I agree.

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 2:58:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The only injury was to the shooter's shoulder, he's otherwise unharmed. This is from /r/guns.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good to hear, that is very surprising though.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 2:58:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Looks like its ammo related. The barrel extension is split, pistol powder in a reloaded rifle case?
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 2:58:57 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

That is crazy, Ive never seen a kaboom that severe. Hope the guy is OK and not a lefty.
View Quote

I'd rather be a lefty than a righty when the left side of my gun explodes.  

I'm lefty  
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 3:00:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

How is that possible if some guns feature the ability to turn gas off to prevent the bolt from cycling or opening?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This was caused by the bolt being unable to unlock, but the high pressure gas still venting from the barrel as per usual. The pressure built up in the carrier behind the bolt and peeled the carrier apart. When you turn the gas off, you're not preventing the bolt from unlocking due to seizure, you're preventing gas from entering the carrier at all.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 3:00:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Search the site for Kabooms.  There are several you can look at for comparison.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 3:01:00 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is his injury

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 3:01:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Going with an under loaded "squib" round fired with the projectile stuck in the barrel, followed by firing a normal round resulting in crazy high chamber pressure. See how the barrel extension ruptured, and the bolt never unlocked?
View Quote

Yeah,looks like a barrel obstruction of some sort would be the cause of that
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 3:01:46 PM EDT
[#30]
My guess would be a plugged barrell also.  It looks to me like all the pressure tried to vent back through the firing pin hole.

Maybe a squib from a reload.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 3:01:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 3:01:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Tac Point.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 3:02:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Every Magpul component survived.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 3:02:24 PM EDT
[#34]
You people are overthinking this. This was caused by a rifle that obviously didn't want to keep living in a world where Bernie Sanders could possibly be president. It was barely hanging on, hoping, during the Obama tyranny, but New Hampshire was the final straw.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 3:02:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Was it one of those Walmart Colts?

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 3:02:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Squib
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 3:03:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

The fracture of the barrel extension tells me all I need to know.

This was an overcharged cartridge/overpressure event pure and simple.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 3:03:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
My guess would be a plugged barrell also.  It looks to me like all the pressure tried to vent back through the firing pin hole.

Maybe a squib from a reload.
View Quote

This isn't what happens when the bore is plugged, that causes a completely different type of catastrophic failure. This is the result of the bolt being unable to unlock, but the gas port still doing its job to carry high pressure gas into the carrier. If the bolt can't unlock, the gas has nowhere to vent... and the carrier grenades as shown.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 3:04:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Looks like wrong powder or way over charged case.That gun Grenaded like a pipe bomb.
View Quote

Pistol powder accidentally loaded in the case would be my bet.  I've reloaded .223 and the case it pretty darn full on a normal load.  That was waaaaay over pressure to burst the barrel extension like that.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 3:05:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Wear safety glasses. That could ruin your life.

Do we see this stuff with AK's? They use combloc ammo 24/7
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 3:06:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Classic lack of over lubrication.
View Quote

^^^^^^ Listen to this guy he knows his shit.

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 3:06:31 PM EDT
[#42]

Didn't let it cool down before peeing on it.

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 3:06:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Pistol powder accidentally loaded in the case would be my bet.  I've reloaded .223 and the case it pretty darn full on a normal load.  That was waaaaay over pressure to burst the barrel extension like that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The barrel extension wasn't the primary failure and is secondary to the bolt seizing and carrier grenading, in my opinion. It's an extremely uncommon failure, luckily. Since he was using factory ammunition, Wolf owes that man a new Colt.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 3:08:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Wear safety glasses. That could ruin your life.

Do we see this stuff with AK's? They use combloc ammo 24/7
View Quote

I've seen a similar mode of failure (bolt seizing and being unable to unlock due to high pressure) once on an AKM-47. The piston was bent, the gas block was fractured, but the rifle held well enough to prevent major injury.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 3:08:54 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

You people are overthinking this. This was caused by a rifle that obviously didn't want to keep living in a world where Bernie Sanders could possibly be president. It was barely hanging on, hoping, during the Obama tyranny, but New Hampshire was the final straw.
View Quote
Owner   was preparing a move to California.

Rifle, faced with taking the bullet button,  suicided  instead.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 3:09:29 PM EDT
[#46]
If the bolt never unlocked, how could the bolt carrier get destroyed like that??
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 3:10:45 PM EDT
[#47]
 I'm glad his injuries were so minor, but it's going to take him a looooong time to get rid of his new found flinch.  
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 3:12:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those guns turn the gas off at the entry point (at the barrel) not at the exit point at the bolt carrier.
Imagine pushing water through surgical tubing.  If you turn off the water at the spigot, no problem.  If you turn off the water at the end of the tubing, it will pressurize and eventually explode.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 3:12:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

If the bolt never unlocked, how could the bolt carrier get destroyed like that??
View Quote

GAS GAS GAS
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 3:12:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

You might want to look into how an AR functions. It really is fascinating how the bolt and carrier interact, and it's always good to know how things function on a more detailed level.

In this case, as the bolt didn't unlock, the high pressure gas entered the carrier through the gas key. Without unlocking, the vents in the side of the carrier continue to be obstructed by the bolt. The gas now has nowhere to go, the carrier fractures and causes the damage you see.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Top Top