Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/7/2016 6:20:09 PM EDT
My sister, who I believe to be a liberal, God bless her, likes to make the argument that the 2nd Amendment's only purpose is for overthrowing a tyrannical government. Which in turn allows her to make the argument that if we are not in the process of overthrowing a government then we have no right to own weapons/arms, until that moment arrives

I know Mr. Crowder did a video basically examining the the grammar of the amendment and if I understood him correctly, came to the conclusion that that a militia, which is made up of the people, have the right to keep and bear arms, which is necessary to the security of a free state. Not, the militia, which is the people, have the right to keep and bear arms ONLY when the security of a free state is at risk.

Thoughts?

Here we go again

IB4TL

In on 1

blah blah blah
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 6:21:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Liberalism = mental disorder.....

They are not going to make sense you should already know this.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 6:23:05 PM EDT
[#2]
So den ip we outwaw dem Fer now, we can just make dem leeble again when we need dem?
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 6:23:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Since self defense is a God given right... the only reason the authors listed it in the BOR was to ensure that the People had an emergency brake for a runaway govt.

...and FBHO
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 6:24:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Does she think that a tyrannical government is going to issue guns to the people who mean to overthrow them?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 6:24:03 PM EDT
[#5]
The 2a's purpose IS to overthrow a tyrannical government.   Nothing damages the security of a free state like tyranny and corruption.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 6:24:09 PM EDT
[#6]
You have to ingrain in her "It is to KEEP the government FROM becoming tyrannical".

ETA beat
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 6:24:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So den ip we outwaw dem Fer now, we can just make dem leeble again when we need dem?
View Quote

Seems legit.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 6:25:24 PM EDT
[#8]
So if the government becomes tyrannical, they are going to start handing out guns for their own overthrow? She's right, we don't need them until the government tells us it's fo time against itself. Good plan.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 6:25:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 6:26:15 PM EDT
[#10]
I thought it was about Duck hunting??
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 6:27:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My sister, who I believe to be a liberal, God bless her, likes to make the argument that the 2nd Amendment's only purpose is for overthrowing a tyrannical government. Which in turn allows her to make the argument that if we are not in the process of overthrowing a government then we have no right to own weapons/arms, until that moment arrives

I know Mr. Crowder did a video basically examining the the grammar of the amendment and if I understood him correctly, came to the conclusion that that a militia, which is made up of the people, have the right to keep and bear arms, which is necessary to the security of a free state. Not, the militia, which is the people, have the right to keep and bear arms ONLY when the security of a free state is at risk.

Thoughts?

Here we go again

IB4TL

In on 1

blah blah blah
View Quote

Lol. I would literally just laugh in her face and walk away if that were my sister.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 6:27:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Since self defense is a God given right... the only reason the authors listed it in the BOR was to ensure that the People had an emergency brake for a runaway govt.

...and FBHO
View Quote

I think she would agree self defense is an inalienable right but she would then argue, where in the BOR, or anywhere in the constitution, does it say the people have the right to keep and bear arms for self defense?

See what I am saying.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 6:28:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/7/2016 6:28:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I think she would agree self defense is an inalienable right but she would then argue, where in the 2nd Amendment, or anywhere in the constitution, does it say the people have the right to keep and bear arms for self defense?

See what I am saying.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

...and FBHO

I think she would agree self defense is an inalienable right but she would then argue, where in the 2nd Amendment, or anywhere in the constitution, does it say the people have the right to keep and bear arms for self defense?

See what I am saying.

There is nothing like that because the 2A has jack shit to do with self defense.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 6:29:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
So if the government becomes tyrannical, they are going to start handing out guns for their own overthrow? She's right, we don't need them until the government tells us it's fo time against itself. Good plan.
View Quote

lmao, no, sadly she is one who believes no one should have guns except the police and military. Constantly point to other countries with gun bans that have less gun deaths than the U.S.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 6:29:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

They developed orange lasers for that back in the 80's, but it never really caught on.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 6:29:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Liberalism = mental disorder.....

They are not going to make sense you should already know this.
View Quote

First post wins the thread!
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 6:31:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The 2a's purpose IS to overthrow a tyrannical government.   Nothing damages the security of a free state like tyranny and corruption.
View Quote

Maybe someone here will know who said it, but one of the Founders even said the blood of tyrants should be spilled about every twenty years or so.  Not a direct quote btw
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 6:32:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Who gets to decide what a tyrannical government is and when we can overthrow it?
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 6:33:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

There is nothing like that because the 2A has jack shit to do with self defense.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

...and FBHO

See what I am saying.

Right, which she and I acknowledge but she is saying if we have a God given right to self defense and it doesn't state that in the 2nd Amendment, where are we getting that we have the right to own weapons/arms?

I guess it comes down to how you interpret the 2nd Amendment.

Certainly I believe that everyone has a right to self defense and nobody, especially the .gov, should have the ability to tell me how I defend myself.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 6:33:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

lmao, no, sadly she is one who believes no one should have guns except the police and military. Constantly point to other countries with gun bans that have less gun deaths than the U.S.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When the founders developed this notion of The People keeping arms to secure a Free State, they didn't consult polls, nor did they consult statistics of other non-free nations.  That's the thing about freedom.  I don't have to look at my neighbor to determine how I want to live my life.  I do what is best for me and mine.  

America is still a unique nation, and until we break up and become the size of these smaller nations with gun bans, then we can start experimenting on tyranny vs. full freedom and see who's happier in the end.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 6:33:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Thoughts?

Here we go again

IB4TL

In on 1

blah blah blah
View Quote

Do you own a spare tire in case you have a flat, or do you go buy one after you are stranded?
Ask her that.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 6:34:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Who gets to decide what a tyrannical government is and when we can overthrow it?
View Quote

The People.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 6:34:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Maybe someone here will know who said it, but one of the Founders even said the blood of tyrants should be spilled about every twenty years or so.  Not a direct quote btw
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - T Jefferson
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 6:35:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Just tell her " I love ya sis but you're wrong and I'm not going to sit and argue with you and risk messing up our relationship over it" either that or punch her in the face scream FBHO!!! And piss on her to establish dominance, your call either way.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 6:36:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Your sister is retarded.

What law, anywhere, at any level of law, makes it illegal to X until you plan the even more illegal Y, which then makes X legal?

That is sofa king stupid I can't even finish this sen
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 6:36:36 PM EDT
[#27]
The militia (the People) can't be well-regulated (trained and proficient) if we only get to use them when actively overthrowing a government. Ask her to research the Minutemen.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 6:36:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Do you own a spare tire in case you have a flat, or do you go buy one after you are stranded?
Ask her that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thoughts?

Here we go again

IB4TL

In on 1

blah blah blah

Ask her that.

Believe me, I've hit her with those before. Including the fire extinguisher and seat belt.

I think the point that is hard to get across is that gun lovers and gun haters have the same desire, which is to end violence, whether it be shootings, stabbings, rapes etc. But she just see's me/us as people who dont care and only care about our guns.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 6:37:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Your sister is right on one count . We have a tyrannical government aND it should be thrown in Gitmo.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 6:37:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The People.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The People.

Ask HER.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 6:38:41 PM EDT
[#31]
She got the first part correct but how the hell are the people supposed to obtain the arms needed when the act becomes necessary? The stick defeats the tank method?

Penn & Teller explain it best:

Link Posted: 1/7/2016 6:38:43 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

...and FBHO

See what I am saying.

State constitutonal RKBA affirmations of same time frame certainly said that personal self defense was being protected:

1776 Pennsylvania: That the people have a right to bear arms for the
defence of themselves and the state
; and as standing armies in the
time of peace are dangerous to liberty, they ought not to be kept
up; And that the military should be kept under strict
subordination to, and governed by, the civil power.

1777 Vermont: That the people have a right to bear arms for the
defence of themselves and the State
—and as standing armies in time
of peace are dangerous to liberty, they ought not to be kept up;
and that the military should be kept under strict subordination
to and governed by the civil power.

.... etc "

Link Posted: 1/7/2016 6:39:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Which in turn allows her to make the argument that if we are not in the process of overthrowing a government then we have no right to own weapons/arms, until that moment arrives
View Quote

Yup. When it's time to fight tyranny , hand everyone long guns for the first time in their lives and just point them toward the enemy.
Oh, wait. Where are all these guns we're going to suddenly need? On shelves at gun stores? Why would gun stores be stocking guns if no one owns guns? Why are there even gun stores?

Who has been manufacturing these guns? And why?

Ammo? Where is this shit going to come from in an UNARMED society?

Your sister is DUMB.

Pics?
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 6:40:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
The militia (the People) can't be well-regulated (trained and proficient) if we only get to use them when actively overthrowing a government. Ask her to research the Minutemen.
View Quote

Good point. She kinda laughs when I bring up the whole "tyrannical .gov" thing. Which keeps her from understanding any argument I throw at her.

She really went down the rabbit hole on this one.

I still make it a point to tell her when I buy a new gun just to piss her off. lol
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 6:40:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Does she think that a tyrannical government is going to issue guns to the people who mean to overthrow them?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/7/2016 6:42:12 PM EDT
[#36]
George Washington was a traitor who went to our enemies the French

Many wonderful british servicemen lost their lives due to Washington's treason

If you support  George Washington, you are cheering for the death of our crown's servicemen

If you support George Washington, you just aren't man enough to serve in the crown's military and are jealous
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 6:43:29 PM EDT
[#37]
One person on this forum guessed that there are perhaps 500 millions firearms in the USA now.  Weapons have many uses from target shooting to self-defense.

Your liberal friend needs to wake up to the damage that liberals (Democrats) cause this country.  Stop voting for those liberals and vote in solid conservatives and in time we can reverse the downward trend of this country.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 6:43:42 PM EDT
[#38]

Nvmd
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 6:43:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

This... So much of this...
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 6:44:35 PM EDT
[#40]
So, if you take away all guns and the government becomes tyrannical, how are you supposed to get guns to overthrow them?
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 6:45:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Thoughts?

Here we go again

IB4TL

In on 1

blah blah blah
View Quote

how can someone who clearly understands the intent of the 2A be such a tard?

because the first thing a tyrannical government does before the populous realizes it's treading on liberty is limit access to weapons
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 6:45:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

3% fought in the revolution

That means Fighting Tyranny is when 97% are crying for the people who you fought against
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 6:46:31 PM EDT
[#43]
The Bill of Rights is NOT a list of rights granted to you.
It is a list of rules for our elected officials, within a contract, know as our Constitution.

People who start these kind of arguments do not understand the purpose of the Bill  of Rights or our Constitution.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 6:52:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
The Bill of Rights is NOT a list of rights granted to you.It is a list of rules for our elected officials, within a contract, know as our Constitution.
People who start these kind of arguments do not understand the purpose of the Bill  of Rights or our Constitution.
View Quote

Exactly!!! Those rights are supposed to be sacrosanct, and should be jealously guarded by all of us.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 6:53:51 PM EDT
[#45]
If the 2A doesn't exist until there's a tyrannical .gov to fight against there will be no way to enact such a thing as the 2A when/if the government becomes tyrannical. It's the 2A that insures the 2A and all the other Constitutional rights.

Her attempt at logic is badly flawed.

Cheers!
-JC
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 6:54:42 PM EDT
[#46]
so  what we supposed  to do    let the feds  keep our guns in federal storage   tell we need them to stop the feds..........that's liberal logic
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 6:55:48 PM EDT
[#47]
our sister need to have her head examined
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 6:58:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
She got the first part correct but how the hell are the people supposed to obtain the arms needed when the act becomes necessary? The stick defeats the tank method?

Penn & Teller explain it best:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4zE0K22zH8
View Quote

Sounds like they are saying the militia is the U.S. military since they compared the militia to GB.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 6:58:33 PM EDT
[#49]

Citizen, We'll let you know when you need this right.

Link Posted: 1/7/2016 7:00:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
If the 2A doesn't exist until there's a tyrannical .gov to fight against there will be no way to enact such a thing as the 2A when/if the government becomes tyrannical. It's the 2A that insures the 2A and all the other Constitutional rights.

Her attempt at logic is badly flawed.

Cheers!
-JC
View Quote

Agreed but the point she is trying to make and the real question I was getting at was, if the 2nd Amendment does not grant the right to self defense, which most in here have agreed, where is it stated that we the people have the right to defend ourselves with guns when not fighting a tyrannical .gov?

Again, she agrees with the inalienable right to self defense but does not understand where guns enter the equation.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top