Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 9:45:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a six inch stack of cards from the original movie.
Wonder what they are worth?
Wonder where they are?
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 9:52:05 PM EDT
[#2]
My parents wouldn't buy me many of the toys, and my allowance couldn't keep up with my demand.

I wound up eventually with a X-wing fighter, a stormtrooper, and some character from the battlestation that I've never been able to identify.

I think I had luke also, and maybe han, but not sure.

Lots and lots of blue edge bubble gum cards also, which I may  still have, and one or two of other colors. I may also have the x-wing minus the laser things, and the death start figure.
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 9:56:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I definitely had the Obi Wan and Vader telescoping lightsaber figures. My Luke figures were the one in X-Wing gear and the one in the black outfit from ROTJ.
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 9:59:25 PM EDT
[#4]

I was an adult when Star Wars premiered

I didn't play with that kind of toys

Link Posted: 1/3/2016 10:00:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You obviously never had Estes model rockets.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I had a xwing fighter that I broke.

I prayed to god that he would repair it.  He did not.

You obviously never had Estes model rockets.

I made one. Lost it to god on the first launch.

Lol.

Link Posted: 1/3/2016 10:09:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I had a bunch of good Star Wars stuff. All of the early action figures and the send away Boba Fett that shot the missile off of his back. The later Boba Fetts just had the missile just pop up about a quarter of an inch. Sold it all at a garage sale when I was 14.
View Quote

Unless you had a relative that worked at Kenner, you didn't have a rocket firing Boba Fett.  They were only ever made as prototypes.  None ever shipped.  They shipped the regular ones out instead and those were glued in place and didn't move at all.
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 10:14:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I auctioned the Luke skywalker and Darth Vader figures shown last year. Prices are WAY off and may be what SOMEONE ONCE paid for an IMMACULATE NEW item or just an estimate. I "fee"bayed them at auction and got about $200 total for the played with but not broken or damaged pair. It was ok for old toys.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I auctioned the Luke skywalker and Darth Vader figures shown last year. Prices are WAY off and may be what SOMEONE ONCE paid for an IMMACULATE NEW item or just an estimate. I "fee"bayed them at auction and got about $200 total for the played with but not broken or damaged pair. It was ok for old toys.

The Luke and Vader in the article have the double-telescoping lightsabers.  They slide out of the arm and then the thin tip extends separately.  They are pretty rare and only available at the very earliest in the toy line.  A Luke on the card unopened sold for $25,000 last month at Sotheby's.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 10:30:57 PM EDT
[#8]
i only had the imperial officer, admiral ackbar, the hoth wampa, and the escape pod. all were bought by my great aunt agness. she obviously had not grasp of action figure dynamics.

if i knew then what i knew now, the officer and ackbar would survive the attack of the wampa and escape in the pod together. they would crash land somewhere and it would be like hell in the pacific. the pod was basically a cup with a lid on it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 10:50:26 PM EDT
[#9]
I've got the card (as well as more cards and stickers).  Think I can get close to $300 out of it?  And looking at Ebay, mine and the one in the linked article don't have the error.  

Link Posted: 1/3/2016 11:42:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The Luke and Vader in the article have the double-telescoping lightsabers.  They slide out of the arm and then the thin tip extends separately.  They are pretty rare and only available at the very earliest in the toy line.  A Luke on the card unopened sold for $25,000 last month at Sotheby's.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those are the ones. I described them the same way (they have the light saber in the back of their forearm and it has a little tab for one part to slide in and out. The sabers were not to scale and were shorter on the figures). Big price drop off when played with.

ETA - I literally just went to eBay and watched a same 1977 telescoping light saber Luke (played with out of package) end with 27 bids for $102.50.....right on par with what my pair went for actually.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 12:10:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I still to this day give my mom shit about the fact that I wanted the Millennium Falcon for Christmas that year and she got me the Ewok VIllage instead.
View Quote

Ouch.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 12:18:44 AM EDT
[#12]
question for the real old folks... back in the late 70s, did anybody know anyone buying these toys and keeping them in the box as collector items ?

i was like 5 when star wars came out and i don't think my parents knew anybody that collected toys.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 12:20:48 AM EDT
[#13]
I had 4 and I might have the C3PO card, gonna pull it out of the storage building to see what shape its in

Link Posted: 1/4/2016 12:21:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Clickbait bullshit.
View Quote

Thought so.  Didn't click.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 12:24:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
question for the real old folks... back in the late 70s, did anybody know anyone buying these toys and keeping them in the box as collector items ?

i was like 5 when star wars came out and i don't think my parents knew anybody that collected toys.
View Quote

The first I remember of that was when old Lionel train stuff became collectible. I think that was around 1979. I don't remember anyone who thought any of that stuff had any value beyond it being a kid's toy.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 12:27:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Fuuuuuuuuuuck!

I had the medical droid, remember a few of his white arms breaking off He was well played with. And I had Vader with the telescoping light sabers. Again, well played with. Didn't have anything still nib, lol. I wrecked that shit.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 12:27:13 AM EDT
[#17]
I was too old for toys when Star Wars came out, but I should have collected the toys
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 12:33:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Well fuck me. I had that fucking medical droid.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 12:35:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't think ANYONE back then purposely bought toys as future collectibles. I don't think people started doing that until the 80's.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 12:44:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
More likely I shot them with a BB gun or set them on fire.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/4/2016 12:58:20 AM EDT
[#21]
We've got a well played with Death star down in the basement somewhere. It opens up and has several scenes from the movie, including dead uncle Owen at Luke's home. Then my wife also has a movie poster for Star Wars from the local theater.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 1:00:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
My best friend used to freeze Han in Carbonite ( purple kool-aide) and keep him in the deep freeze all the time
View Quote

Bill? Is that you?
Yeah, I did that as well, Kool-aide and all.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 1:05:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Of all the toys I took out of the box and disposed of in a garage sale...The ones that haunt me most are the Star Wars ones...
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 1:19:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Clickbait bullshit.
View Quote

no kidding... why do 95% of these bullshit list sites have fucking AIDS.?
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 1:46:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Well fuck me. I had that fucking medical droid.
View Quote

Don't be so hard on yourself.  You had a medical droid but not the expensive one in the article.  It was made by a British company licensed by Kenner and still in the package.  What you had goes for less than $20 on EBay.

The article is showing and pricing rare figures not the regular versions we all had in the 70's and 80's.  I'm still not sure ya'll are understanding there were two different kinds of lightsabers that slide into the arm.  The high prices in the article are for the rare two piece double-telescoping lightsabers, not the regular ones shown in the Obi-Wan and Vader pictures.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 1:55:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think the assumption was that they would be made/available in stores forever.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 2:06:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Those are the ones. I described them the same way (they have the light saber in the back of their forearm and it has a little tab for one part to slide in and out. The sabers were not to scale and were shorter on the figures). Big price drop off when played with.

ETA - I literally just went to eBay and watched a same 1977 telescoping light saber Luke (played with out of package) end with 27 bids for $102.50.....right on par with what my pair went for actually.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The article is misleading and incorrect.  The Luke picture shows a double-telescoping lightsaber.  The Obi-Wan and Vader pictures show regular telescoping lightsabers.  The wording in the description calls them telescoping lightsabers but shows the $7000 prices for the rare double-telescoping lightsabers.  The Luke runs between $500 to $1000.  The regular telescoping lightsaber figures run in the $50 to $100 range.  It's really not that confusing except when you read click bait articles.

The Boba Fett in the article is not a Kenner product but a bootleg figure.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 2:12:27 AM EDT
[#28]
I still have the first two sets of Topps cards, and Wonder Bread cards, plus four Burger King glasses from each of the three monies. All bought in the day.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 2:15:20 AM EDT
[#29]

anyone here have the rare pink stormtrooper?!
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 2:40:57 AM EDT
[#30]
I preferred gi Joe.

After I was too old to play with this stuff anymore I got a battle skeletor and panthor his purple fuzzy cat. They came with a little stand. I displayed them on my bookshelf.

I collected most of my toys and really took care of them because I was told by my mother they woud be worth money later in life. She was right.

Right after I  moved out I packed my stuff up in boxes in the basement. Waiting to get settled into my own place with room.

I stopped by my parents house one weekend and they were having a yard sale. I'm getting out of my car and there is a kid playing in the gravel, bombing the shit out of my model tanks. I go to basement and my boxes were all opened and rummaged through. She sold off in one yard sale everything I had collected for 19 years. For practicly nothing. I was furious!

When my brother and I discovered ebay I looked up that Skeletor and Panthor. There was one on there with a bidding war going. It was well over $600 and climbing. I held on to that toy, that I  didn't even want and she probably sold it for $2.

Man, has my mother done some shit to me!
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 8:49:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had both the Luke and Vader with the extendable Lightsabers. They've been lost though. Neither had their sabers anymore either.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 8:52:25 AM EDT
[#32]
My cousin, now in his 40's, had literally every original figure they made. He got two of everything, played with one and kept the other in original packaging. All I had was one Boba Fett I wonder if he still has them?
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 8:57:58 AM EDT
[#33]
I had this guy but lost the accessories and packaging.

Link Posted: 1/4/2016 11:31:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Then of course there is the vinyl cape jawa that sells for as much 8k
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 11:37:09 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

They did the same thing with the Battlestar Galactica Viper.  Early ones shot a rocket out of the nose.  Revised versions had it pop out 1/4".  But you could file down the bump stops and make it fire like the original ones, until you lost the rocket.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I had a bunch of good Star Wars stuff. All of the early action figures and the send away Boba Fett that shot the missile off of his back. The later Boba Fetts just had the missile just pop up about a quarter of an inch. Sold it all at a garage sale when I was 14.

They did the same thing with the Battlestar Galactica Viper.  Early ones shot a rocket out of the nose.  Revised versions had it pop out 1/4".  But you could file down the bump stops and make it fire like the original ones, until you lost the rocket.

I had the Galactica that launched vipers. Basically a dual rubber band slingshot that fired two 5-6in long foam vipers. They would go about 30 feet and even though they were foam, would sting a bit if you got nailed by one at close range.

Never got into Star Wars stuff but I had a crapload of GI Joe stuff, including the F-14.

A buddy of mine collected Star Wars stuff (and toys in general) when I was in HS in the late 1980s. Pre-internet days, he was able to amass quite a collection of stuff that he found at flea markets, Goodwill and even some brand new stuff in out of the way stores. He carefully packaged everything and stashed it away. Even back then he jokingly referred to it has his retirement fund. I wonder how he wound up doing with that?

A construction foreman I used to work with quit his day job when his side business of buying and reselling toys from the 1980s started making him way more money then his day job.

Link Posted: 1/4/2016 11:40:58 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I had 6
View Quote

Me too.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 11:43:43 AM EDT
[#37]
I think I had still have my "Story of Star Wars" LP record somewhere, but all the toys are gone.  The record was pretty cool- it was not the music soundtrack, but was the actually full soundtrack for listening to the movie before many of us had a way to watch it at home.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 11:44:49 AM EDT
[#38]
I had so much of that shit, but between my dog and Black-Cat firecrackers, not a single figure or vehicle survived to even 1990.  Same goes for all of my GI-Joes.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 11:45:43 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 11:46:53 AM EDT
[#40]
I have a bunch of Star Wars stuff in a box somewhere. I know I have that Vader, absent his cape and light saber.

Link Posted: 1/4/2016 11:52:31 AM EDT
[#41]
I had a ton of the original 12 back figures and vehicles. Played with them all, broke most of them. All of them got garage sale'd off in my early teens for pennies.

When the big nerd wave of the 90s hit and those toys became solid gold I remember thinking "wow it would have been nice to have kept those toys I had in the packages then sold them for gonzo cash today"... but honestly the value I got out of them as a kid playing with them I can't put a price tag on.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 11:53:13 AM EDT
[#42]
I had several of those.

But, they only have value if "in original package which is in good condition"

One that got opened and used isn't worth it, and certainly not worth the storage and care it would have taken to make them last through time.

That said, there is an IG88 figure riding a Dwarf Tank on my desk here at work.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 12:06:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I had a ton of the original 12 back figures and vehicles. Played with them all, broke most of them. All of them got garage sale'd off in my early teens for pennies.

When the big nerd wave of the 90s hit and those toys became solid gold I remember thinking "wow it would have been nice to have kept those toys I had in the packages then sold them for gonzo cash today"... but honestly the value I got out of them as a kid playing with them I can't put a price tag on.
View Quote

That.

I had almost every vehicle they sold.  I can still remember the acute anticipation I suffered between the days of the movie's release and the arrival on shelves of the X-wings.  The day I walked into a store and finally saw X-wings available for purchase, I had a toygasm.  

I remember the plastic cape Viagra-saber Darth Vader and Luke.  I remember hating the stupid extendable sabers because they looked lame as fuck, nothing like the movie.  I want to say my Jawa figure had a cloth cloak but I could be wrong.  

My most prized spacecraft was the Millennium Falcon, since I was a big Han Solo fan (even at 7 years old, I knew Luke was a whiny little bitch).  I broke out my model paint and weathered that motherfucker with exhaust, dust, battle damage, and even installed a few navigation lights.   Most of the interior was walled away and off limits to the less enterprising toy owners, but I fixed that.  I was able to install access portals to the cockpit and the rest of the ship.  My Han and Chewie smuggled many a shipment past Imperial blockades.

Eventually, like most of us probably remember, these found their way up to the attic and then probably to Goodwill at some point.  I would give a lot to have that Falcon back.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 12:11:06 PM EDT
[#44]
It is very misleading!

There were no rocket firing Boba Fett's on cards, the double telescoping light sabers and vinyl caped jawa are rare as hell. I had everything when I was little and had the 12 back figures very early on and never had or saw  either variation.

I saved my proofs of purchase and sent away for my mail away Boba Fett and was sad to see it come with a fixed rocket.

My parents cleaned out there house about a year and half ago in preparation to move and I told my dad I didn't care about anything I still had there other than my Star Wars toys and I would come get them...

he threw out 5 large rolling trash cans of old original stuff!

I was sick to my fucking stomach.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 12:15:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I had several of those.

But, they only have value if "in original package which is in good condition"

One that got opened and used isn't worth it, and certainly not worth the storage and care it would have taken to make them last through time.

That said, there is an IG88 figure riding a Dwarf Tank on my desk here at work.
View Quote

Not true, I have some later Power of the Force figures that even opened are worth over $100 and were stored less than carefully in an attic in TN for years and are fine.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 12:31:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Does this count?

Link Posted: 1/4/2016 12:49:08 PM EDT
[#47]
I had the vinyl cape jawa, and still have the medical droid.  I was 6 when they release and all I got for the next three years for Christmas was star wars stuff.

I had every action figure from the original series,  and they had all guns and accessories (I was OCD as a kid)

when I went away to school I packed them up and put them in the attic.  My @#@#$ little brother dug them out, took them out and played with them in the garden. several are missing, I only have a few of the guns (I am OCD, brother has Tourette and would lose his pants if they weren't attached to his body)

I still have a lot of the bigger ships,  X wing, Tie Fighters,  and Millenium Falcon.  They are in great shape but they aren't worth that much
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 1:03:47 PM EDT
[#48]
I was 18 when Star Wars came out.  I had no real interest in toys at the time, and no understanding of what 'collectibles' were.

I let a set of Jarts, a first-edition 1965 Star Trek Compendium (blueprints, technical data, episode info, etc. - very rare) an original Rock 'em Sock 'em robots, and many more collectibles slip away.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 1:17:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Unless you had a relative that worked at Kenner, you didn't have a rocket firing Boba Fett.  They were only ever made as prototypes.  None ever shipped.  They shipped the regular ones out instead and those were glued in place and didn't move at all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ahh, memories of early childhood disappointment.      I can remember saving up the required number proofs of purchase and dollars for the rocket firing Boba Fett, only to receive the fixed rocket version.  What a rip off, I thought.    

I remember the figures made for good bb gun targets and the Lando figure I had, faced an untimely end in a lit vase of gas.  My dad saw the two feet of flame next to the house and ran after me with a tennis racket that he broke hitting me for being stupid.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 1:35:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
My brother and I had a shit load of star wars toys growing up, probably a few that would be worth some serious coin today, but you know what we did back in the day?  Played with the damn things.  We were kids.  

You know what they call people who buy toys and leave them in the packaging?  Virgins.

View Quote

All of our toys met their fate with fireworks. I had the Tomcat Airplane from GI Joe that we tried to get to fly with bottle rockets a few times.

Page / 3
Top Top