Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 6:10:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

No-lock airweights exclusively.

The G43 is on my short list to buy in the future.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You shooting regular j-frames or Airweight as well? Been thinking of selling my j-frame and buying another  G43.

No-lock airweights exclusively.

The G43 is on my short list to buy in the future.

I call my airweight j-frame "the cricket" after Will Smith's gun in the first MIB. Very unpleasant to shoot.

Link Posted: 1/3/2016 6:12:12 PM EDT
[#2]
A "pocket gun" is a BUG and I've never considered a J-Frame-sized weapon as such if you have functional stocks on it instead of those fucking lame-assed  boot grips.

Small wonder peeps can't shoot them worth a shit. If you don't have a extra .50" below the grip frame you are shorting yourself on multiple levels.

IMHO....KT P-32 for the win as a "pocket gun". 7+1 rounds of .32 Fiocchi 60 gr SJHP is no joke. You will also have better control over those 8 rounds as the P-32 is much milder shooting than the P3AT .380 and Ruger clones, not to mention it holds a extra round.

Link Posted: 1/3/2016 6:21:33 PM EDT
[#3]
J frame for me, but I shoot revolvers quite a bit.

You need to shoot a J frame for a while to become comfortable with it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 7:07:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I have an Ulm made PPK in .380. It functions perfectly!

It doesn´t get used any more.

I LOVE my G 42 AND my G 43!!!

Hermann
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 7:10:39 PM EDT
[#5]
All steel j-frame. I want a belly gun that I can actually jam into someone's belly while we're rolling around on the ground and have the gun actually work.
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 7:13:28 PM EDT
[#6]
A Walther PPK invented in the 30s blows a snub j-frame out of the water for pocket carry in almost every aspect.
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 7:13:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Let me just say that my LCP has been so reliable that I bought a second one two years ago that lives in the safe on a just in case situation that something happens to my daily carry LCP.
My LCP has been 100 % reliable through at least 10 different types of ammo and reliable while it is clean and well oiled or pulled out of the pocket holster after three weeks of carry with pocket lint galore.

Honestly if I were buying an LCP today I would do as Marie suggested and get the red trigger Custom model as it is a better gun all around.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I hadn't really considered a pocket 9 but in reality something like an LC9 is only marginally larger than an LCP. Although a hammerless revolver does leave the possibility of actually shooting from your pocket. The likelihood of something like that, however, is small compared to the reality of carrying a better caliber.

What are the options in a true pocket size 9mm?

I own a LC9s and it is much larger and heavier than my LCP.

Weights...
LCP fully loaded 12ounces.
My Kahr PM9 fully loaded 20 ounces.
My LC9s fully loaded 21 ounces.
The Kahr is actually a better front pocket carry than the Ruger LC9s.

So the LC9 is noticably bigger and heavier than the LCP? That is good to know. I'm leaning back to the .380 now. Seems to be a lot of LCP owners in here too. Is everyone happy with them for what they are?

Let me just say that my LCP has been so reliable that I bought a second one two years ago that lives in the safe on a just in case situation that something happens to my daily carry LCP.
My LCP has been 100 % reliable through at least 10 different types of ammo and reliable while it is clean and well oiled or pulled out of the pocket holster after three weeks of carry with pocket lint galore.

Honestly if I were buying an LCP today I would do as Marie suggested and get the red trigger Custom model as it is a better gun all around.

That is what Little Pony did and his custom has been perfectly reliable. I would disagree that the LC9s/Pro are anything close to too big or heavy to pocket carry though, but to each his/her own.
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 7:16:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Do people practice their draw?
There is a huge difference between an auto and a revolver out of a pocket when it comes to getting a grip on the gun and clearing the pocket.
I can get a "combat grip" on a pocket carried revolver, not so on a pocket auto without clawing at it for a few valuable seconds.
These are things that matter in a CCW.
I'd never carry in a holster I can't get a good grip on my gun from, why would I compromise for pocket carry?

For those that are coming from a viewpoint of comfort or concealability over effectiveness you should try some comparative dry-fire draw practice with each against a timer. You really won't need a timer for the difference to become clear though.

Cheers!
-JC
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 7:27:00 PM EDT
[#9]
I pocket carry a S&W Bodyguard .380 alot. It's an early one that is extremely reliable. The magazines are so small its nothing to carry 3 extra.
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 8:03:25 PM EDT
[#10]
I own one of the old original Colt mustangs . To be honest it is quite a bit heavier than some of the newer 380s . Grip is pretty small so it is difficult to just draw and get fast good hits with it . sights are pretty small and my eyes are not getting any better. Quite some time ago I tried and found it to be heavy and the wrong size for pocket carry.

Shot a few other 380s at the range that belong to friends but have never grabbed anything that struck me as being easy to shoot and get decent hits with .

I have a 642 that fits most of my pockets quite well and I shoot it with confidence .

Worked a gunstore for most of two years and my friend , who was owner wanted us to carry . I tried most of my guns and many of the store guns in pocket and different holsters and everything was a PITA except for the 642 . I ended up with the 642 in the pocket with the store AR tucked away in its hiding spot .

Bottom line is the airweight works well for me and I have confidence in my ability to shoot decent with it .

This however is not one size fits all . Each person has to work out the best answer to this question
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 9:49:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
With advances in handgun design, the new paradigm is airweight vs. small 9mm.

Makes it a no brainier for me.
View Quote

same here, which results in the j-frame sitting in the safe while the Kahr PM9 or the G26 go out for the day.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 12:33:09 AM EDT
[#12]
What type of holster is everyone using? It seems that anything that would really break up the outline would be hard to get a grip and draw. Are most of you using the more minimalist designs that only cove up to the trigger guard? Also do the softer, sticky-sided holsters work or are the rigid designs with the "hook" the better way to go?

By the way, this has been extremely informative. Thank you.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 12:43:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
What type of holster is everyone using? It seems that anything that would really break up the outline would be hard to get a grip and draw. Are most of you using the more minimalist designs that only cove up to the trigger guard? Also do the softer, sticky-sided holsters work or are the rigid designs with the "hook" the better way to go?

View Quote

Nothing. Toss my J-Frame in a pocket and go. It prints a bit in jeans, but in a light jacket it's not noticeable. During the summer it goes in cargo shorts.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 12:46:50 AM EDT
[#14]
SW M&P340CT

• No lock from factory

• Tritium front sight from factory

• Crimson Trace grips from factory

• Highly corrosion resistant materials

• Better trigger than th 340PD

• Light weight, many carry options.

• .38/.357

Link Posted: 1/4/2016 1:48:20 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm pretty slender, so I'm limited to what I can realistically conceal. My work dress generally consists of polo or dress type shirts and khaki pants.

Been carrying an LCP since they first came out. The sights suck on it but at the ranges I would expect to have to use it, that's almost irrelevant. During controlled range firing, I have no problems hitting COM or head shots at 10 yards.

I mounted a Crimson Trace Laserguard as soon as it was available and really like that setup. The drawback is that it's very hard or sometimes impossible to see it in daylight conditions.

I carry it in my right rear pocket where most people carry a wallet using an Uncle Mikes sticky pocket holster. I practice drawing and dry firing regularly.

I keep it loaded with Hornady Critical Defense.

The .380 round is not as powerful as I would like but I always have it, regardless of what I'm wearing. Although I've never had to use it I'm confident that the total combination will work out for me in any realistic scenario I can come up with where using it is my only option.

I wish I had gotten it in the stainless version for corrosion resistance. It's still 100% reliable for me and goes bang every time, but after all these years it looks a little rough.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 1:28:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

there's a lot of good pocket holsters out there.
I like the Galco offerings. The cheap cowhide one works just fine. The horsehide one is stiffer.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top