BCM
User Panel

Page / 9
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 12:16:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

No they wont, because they have already said they liked it alot.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which was apparently visible from across the galaxy. My only major complaint about the movie.

Pizza Rolls guy is going to have a frigging field day with this movie.  I predict, once the excitement wears off in a few years, people will see this movie as just a little better than the prequels.  A little longer if the next two movies come out and are much better.

Link Posted: 1/5/2016 12:25:17 PM EDT
[#2]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which was apparently visible from across the galaxy. My only major complaint about the movie.

Pizza Rolls guy is going to have a frigging field day with this movie.  I predict, once the excitement wears off in a few years, people will see this movie as just a little better than the prequels.  A little longer if the next two movies come out and are much better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSaaa_OBkzw

yup we got to let them stew on it a few years. I liked the movie too but don't get me wrong it still wasn't good.

the next movies will determine if Lucas sucks or starwars just sucks.
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 12:39:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

yup we got to let them stew on it a few years. I liked the movie too but don't get me wrong it still wasn't good.

View Quote

Yes, it was good.  It wasn't great, but it was good.
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 12:42:52 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I saw that. They are hack frauds.

Link Posted: 1/5/2016 12:46:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The force repelling creatures, Ysalimiri or something? I read the first one, and hated it. The Thrawn trilogy is vastly overrated.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
After all the mentions of the Thawn trilogy I started reading Heir to the Empire. About 1/4 through it and it's giving terrible writing.  If you didn't suggest know who Luke, Han, Leia were from the movie you wouldn't know anything about their character. Nearly every line from Han comes from the movies. Every character's chief emotion is worry, that's all they do is worry about shit. Stilted, poorly developed characters.

The plot is meh at this point. Their hiding too much for the big reveal so the story kind of drags on.

It would have made a terrible movie without massive rewrites.

The writing was atrocious, as was most of the story itself.  But it got certain parts right.  Thrawn, Mara Jade, the Noghri, the crumbled but not collapsed Empire, the New Republic, etc.

The force repelling creatures, Ysalimiri or something? I read the first one, and hated it. The Thrawn trilogy is vastly overrated.

I'm halfway through book 1, holy shit they are bad. I can't believe I wasted $25 ordered all three books for my kindle...

NO MATTER WHAT ANYONE TELLS YOU, DON'T WASTE MONEY OR TIME WITH THE THAWN TRILOGIES!
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 12:54:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/5/2016 1:08:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm just waiting to see what last nights box office reciepts look like. yesterday or today is the day they break Avatars domestic record.
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 1:09:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because they don't agree with you?
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 3:00:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 3:02:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yep, and one of the behind the scenes videos for TPM even shows him whining about Titanic and how nobody can beat it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's probably one to two days from beating Avatar for the highest grossing movie of all time domestically.  Not there globally yet, but it hasn't opened in China yet.  When it does, it will blow Avatar out of the water.
So, critically acclaimed, audiences love it, and it's making all the money in the world.
I doubt anyone connected with the movie gives a shit about some whiney fanboys lamenting the de-canonization of the EU.

George Lucas was more concerned with money and sales than making a good movie. He was in competition with James Cameron for decades, both trying to outdo each other. Then as soon as he sells the star wars franchise it blows away both of them.

Yep, and one of the behind the scenes videos for TPM even shows him whining about Titanic and how nobody can beat it.

Cameron's "King of the World" cry was directed at Lucas. He made Avatar as a way of sticking it to Lucas, to prove that he could make a higher grossing sci-fi movie.
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 3:04:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 3:08:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 5:31:47 PM EDT
[#13]
I just saw it for the second time, you have to be some kind of belligerent introvert who hates life to not like that movie. It has every needed component of a great story and a great film.

Link Posted: 1/5/2016 5:36:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I just saw it for the second time, you have to be some kind of belligerent introvert who hates to life to not like that movie. It has every needed component of a great story and a great film.
View Quote

Do you understand where you're posting?
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 5:41:39 PM EDT
[#15]
I found it hard to believe that Rey was able to perform the Jedi mind trick without any training. That just seemed like a stretch.
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 5:49:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I say we call Maury Povich cause no way in hell is that Han Solo's kid.  Looks like Gene Simmons snuck in the bedroom on the millennium falcon.
View Quote

My 13 year old stepdaughter said that guy should leave his mask on! Haha!
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 5:50:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Cross post from the other thread,  my thoughts:

Saw it last night my thoughts. This was a good Star Wars movie; Empire strikes back, Star wars then this one. That's not saying it was a good movie, just saying it was good for Star Wars.  

Rey; The female lead actually did a good job, I give them that they cast her well. I like her character.

Han; Harrison Ford stole the move along with Chewy it was good to see them again. I DO wish they had done this 10 years ago, with a slightly younger Ford and Carrie it would have been a little better. But that said the age thing was ok, it's right in the time line for things.

Leia, Carrie works here, I saw nothing wrong with her.

Finn... what's the point of this character? besides being a coward Storm Trooper and the plot obviously needed some way into the new Death Star, his plot line was weak, it's to bad they could have done more. See below.

Kylo, I was rather impressed with our new Darth Lord, will be interesting to see how they develop this, my hopes are high. The bridge scene was well done.

Poe, great character need a fighter jock, wish they had spent a little more time with him. CGI issues aside see below, he was cool. Move needed cool.

Plot and poor story telling. WTF can NO one in Holly*** tell a good story any longer? I do not know where they are going to go with Rey's story so we'll see. there where AMPLE time to give her back story. To have the Force Awaken! They dropped the ball horribly here. She's strapped in chair/table being mind raped but she can suddenly poof use the Jedi mind trick!!??? WOOOOOW.. Fucking come on guys. They could have soooo easily foreshadowed this skill with the negotiations over her food portion for scrapping. I was EXPECTING THAT... nope just poof magic powers. I was hopping to see some force use while she was scrapping in the star destroyer, almost fall, pull the rope a 1/2 foot closer, shocked she could do it scared not knowing what happened... ie force awakened in here.. nope just poof magic powers I can stand toe to toe with a Jedi knight in a saber dual. Back to foreshadowing, she easily could have had a sword vs her dumb stick early in the move and used that in her few fights, that would have given us the idea she knew how to use a sword, more credence to the saber use later. Simple ball dropping on the story telling.

Millennium falcon, seriously sitting there flight ready?  Again poor story telling.

She EASLY could have been hiding in the falcon vs her walker. With the technical manuals all around her, trying to fix the falcon. Learning the ship inside and out. Scrapping parts to make her fly again. Hell that could have been the tie into the useless storm trooper, finding his crash sight and scrapping the tie fighter for the last needed part. The flacon powering up the first time in ages could easily be the trigger/tracker Han needed to find them. The ENTIRE time in the transport could have been used for that. While I liked seeing Han up to his old tricks it was a total wasted 10 min of movie time. Rolling tentacle monsters, really?

This would have given Han the line of "We found her" to use when talking to Leia, ref the falcon or reference there lost daughter???? Rey.... who knows. They could have left that vague.

Flash backs to explain the past? She was being mind raped that was a perfect time to flash back!!!!!!! FUCK SAKE YOU NUMBTITS!!!!!!!!!!! Flash back her past so we see more, flash back Kylo so we see more of his conflict. They flashed back once, just one fing time to explain her past.

So many lost opportunities.

CGI, was ok. Again trying to hard. Chick never flown in her life, Falcon collecting dust for 20 years and zip bang zap lippy loop. Blah come on. How many times are they going to crash into shit? Dumb dumber and dumbest. Poe, super loppty loop kill 10 tie fighters was un needed, looked horribly done and was shit a 8 year old would do. It actually ruined that whole fight for me.

Father Sword, Luke's Light Saber. They foreshadowing here (fist fucking time?? I doubt it, but who knows) is Rey Luke's kid? Be a strange shift away from the lore that Han and Leia had twins. I'm still leaning Rey is Han and Leia's daughter but so many missed opportunities to show that. Be hard now to throw that out: "oh hey ya Rey sorry your my kid, ya I should have told you Han was your Dad, sorry he just got blown up."....

Brings up this, Han's body is gone, no closure there, kinda sucks. I expected Chewy to at least gather him up bring him home.  

R2-D2. ??????????????????????????????? Some one tell me why he turned on, just hey now's a good time? This was just dumb. Something more should have triggered here, or shown us, Rey's proximity? Luke's Saber, anything to make that more real.

The ending 5 min felt tacked on. Like it should have been the start to the next movie. Was good to see Luke again though  

Don't get me wrong, I liked the move a lot, just disappointed in the story part. So many missed opportunities and poor story telling. The over the top cgi did nothing for me. Finn's character is the new jar jar binks, wtf is he here for?

Link Posted: 1/5/2016 5:52:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I say we call Maury Povich cause no way in hell is that Han Solo's kid.  Looks like Gene Simmons snuck in the bedroom on the millennium falcon.

Link Posted: 1/5/2016 5:58:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I found it hard to believe that Rey was able to perform the Jedi mind trick without any training. That just seemed like a stretch.
View Quote

Who says she hasn't had any training?
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 6:01:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Funny side note, that storm trooper was played my Daniel Craig, the current James Bond.
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 6:05:25 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I just saw it for the second time, you have to be some kind of belligerent introvert who hates life to not like that movie. It has every needed component of a great story and a great film.

Lol you right

Link Posted: 1/5/2016 6:06:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

She was five years old when she was abandoned on Jakka. Go to a local kindergarden and tell me the chances any of them being trained in anything other than not pooping their pants.

Meanwhile with close to zero training in the force Luke managed to hip shoot a pair of torpedoes into an exhaust vent in the Death Star that was near impossible with the targeting computer.
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 6:10:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

She was five years old when she was abandoned on Jakka. Go to a local kindergarden and tell me the chances any of them being trained in anything other than not pooping their pants.

Meanwhile with close to zero training in the force Luke managed to hip shoot a pair of torpedoes into an exhaust vent in the Death Star that was near impossible with the targeting computer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you not see any of the other star wars movies?  Jedi training is started when they're children.  Even in Empire Strikes Back, Yoda said Luke was too old.
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 6:13:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Did you not see any of the other star wars movies?  Jedi training is started when they're children.  Even in Empire Strikes Back, Yoda said Luke was too old.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Luke was in his 20s. Go take a five year old and try to train them on anything and its laughable how bad they'll be. Take a five year old to Karate class and then come back 15 years later and see how much of that early training paid off.

Some more child warriors skilled in martial arts, very skilled they are:

Link Posted: 1/5/2016 6:17:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Luke was in his 20s. Go take a five year old and try to train them on anything and its laughable how bad they'll be. Take a five year old to Karate class and then come back 15 years later and see how much of that early training paid off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0E914X75K4
View Quote

So you're comparing reality to some mythical civilization that uses the "force"?
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 7:11:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Why Rey Is Obi Wan Kenobi's Granddaughter

I completely disagree with this, but it's an entertaining read.
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 8:46:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

It has every needed component of a great story and a great film.  

View Quote

It certainly didn't lack for pretty effects and razor-thin, by-the-numbers characters.

Link Posted: 1/6/2016 12:44:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

It certainly didn't lack for pretty effects and razor-thin, by-the-numbers characters.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It has every needed component of a great story and a great film.  

And too bad that "great film" was already done 30+yrs ago.  I wish JJ Abrams would be relegated to doing TV shows, or music videos, or something.
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 12:52:01 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I don't remember Solo fighting with a lightsaber.  I thought it was B.S. that the girl was more of an aptitude with the force than Ren but Star Wars is a make believe movie.  Hell jumping to lightspeed got them through hangar blast doors why wouldn't it get them through a shield.  They should have done it in ROTJ but it had not been tried by Han until he was going to die in the Force Awakens.  Also if you take out the radiator on a vehicle which is pretty freaking easy to do you shut the vehicle down pretty quick.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What a steaming pile of predictable crap! Han Solo's worthless shitty light saber fighting and his goofy crap acting makes me long for Jar Jar Binks. The girl a decent actor, but really she picks up the light saber and beats the Sith in training, really!

The other thing that gets me about all of Star Wars is the monumental stupidity of building Death stars and death planets and then put the most critical parts where they are easy to reach! Han just knows that the shields modulate in a way that they can just bypass the shields, how did he know this? The fact that this turd made so much is testament to the gullibility of Star Wars fans. I was, but no longer Disney and Abrams can lick my nads before I will see another one at the theater.  

I don't remember Solo fighting with a lightsaber.  I thought it was B.S. that the girl was more of an aptitude with the force than Ren but Star Wars is a make believe movie.  Hell jumping to lightspeed got them through hangar blast doors why wouldn't it get them through a shield.  They should have done it in ROTJ but it had not been tried by Han until he was going to die in the Force Awakens.  Also if you take out the radiator on a vehicle which is pretty freaking easy to do you shut the vehicle down pretty quick.

The hangar door was already open.
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 1:07:32 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

What a steaming pile of predictable crap! Han Solo's worthless shitty light saber fighting and his goofy crap acting makes me long for Jar Jar Binks. The girl a decent actor, but really she picks up the light saber and beats the Sith in training, really!

The other thing that gets me about all of Star Wars is the monumental stupidity of building Death stars and death planets and then put the most critical parts where they are easy to reach! Han just knows that the shields modulate in a way that they can just bypass the shields, how did he know this? The fact that this turd made so much is testament to the gullibility of Star Wars fans. I was, but no longer Disney and Abrams can lick my nads before I will see another one at the theater.  
View Quote
I didnt care for it either its 4-5 with the names changed.

Link Posted: 1/6/2016 1:18:41 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Luke was 16/17 in A New Hope

Link Posted: 1/6/2016 1:30:49 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I may be misremembering (if that is a word), but in Phantom the council refused to train Anakin because he was too old then (what was he, 8 or 9 years old). Then again that was from the new episodes.

Link Posted: 1/6/2016 1:36:43 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

'The original novelization of ANH describes Luke as "twice as old as a ten-year old vaporator" which suggests 20, but could be a rough description of 19.'

Empire Strikes Back takes place 3 years after Battle of Yavin/Star Wars. Meaning Luke is by that point well into early 20s when Yoda tells him he is too old to train.
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 2:48:04 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you completely missed the prequels where the Jedi Academy had all the younglings easily 5 or six years old... Remember, the ones Anakin slaughtered in Revenge of the Sith?
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 2:55:14 AM EDT
[#35]
We really needed another Star Wars thread.

Han's one of the best smugglers in the Galaxy. Knowing loopholes to breach imperial shields would go hand in hand with that. His unique set of skills is called on a lot in the series.
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 3:15:54 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Luke_Skywalker
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 4:32:12 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 9:20:39 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

That and the speed with which the projectile/energy burst/whatever moved, but they did mention something about it being "hyperlight" or something, so I guess it was superluminal somehow.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
that bugged me too  but I'm an astronomy nerd.

That and the speed with which the projectile/energy burst/whatever moved, but they did mention something about it being "hyperlight" or something, so I guess it was superluminal somehow.

meh, its star wars they get a pass, I'm not going to nitpick that since absolutely nothing in the SW universe makes any sense when it comes to physics

Still liked the movie, still like the original three.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 10:18:44 AM EDT
[#39]
The thing that always bothers me is, the Republic/rebels seem to only have like 6 fighters.  They send all their fighters to take out the planet and yet can only send 6 or 8?  While on the other side, it seems the First Order can build a Freaking Planet sized handgun, a billion and 20 TIE fighters, and enough Cruisers to take on the Japanese during WW2.

Yet, the good guys, who have had the same 30 yrs to put together Something, Anything, manage to put together 6 X-wing and a few Y-wing fighters and a can of Spam.

Where is the Good Guys Death Star?

I also have a problem with the Millenium Falcon.  Who came up with a "freighter" class ship that has all the storage space of a Mazda Miata?  What are they smuggling?  Ham sandwiches?
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 1:49:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
The thing that always bothers me is, the Republic/rebels seem to only have like 6 fighters.  They send all their fighters to take out the planet and yet can only send 6 or 8?  While on the other side, it seems the First Order can build a Freaking Planet sized handgun, a billion and 20 TIE fighters, and enough Cruisers to take on the Japanese during WW2.

Yet, the good guys, who have had the same 30 yrs to put together Something, Anything, manage to put together 6 X-wing and a few Y-wing fighters and a can of Spam.

Where is the Good Guys Death Star?

I also have a problem with the Millenium Falcon.  Who came up with a "freighter" class ship that has all the storage space of a Mazda Miata?  What are they smuggling?  Ham sandwiches?
View Quote

1.  The empire destroyed the new republic and crushed any public dissent throughout the years.  The rebels were just that, groups of people trying to band together to take out the empire.  They gained more and more people willing to fight after the first death star was blown up.  Rebellions take time.

2.  The Millenium Falcon had storage areas in the back, and more importantly, more small nooks that other things could be smuggled without detection.
Page / 9
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top