Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/18/2015 12:01:03 AM EDT
I blew a thermostat gasket in my car, replaced it and went looking for distilled water.  

1 Walmart, 2 Walmarts, 3 Walmarts 4.....

4 walmarts, three general grocery stores,  3 supermarkets,  

all gone. All distilled water bought out. I asked at 3 of the walmarts "where is your distilled water?"

all three had similar answer: "it's the weirdest thing,  someone bought it all out yesterday. we're totally out. I've never seen that before"

I can't think of anything really bad you can do with distilled water.  fill a LOT of radiators.  Maybe someone is stripping 87 miles of wallpaper?  clothes ironing contest maybe?

just thought it was weird that in the last two days,  someone has cleaned out every local store of distilled water.  we're talking at least a couple hundred gallons just from shelf stock.  One lady at walmart said they took everything they had in back too.  

just kinda weird. I finally found a couple gallons at like a rite-aid or something, but it took several stores to find it.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 12:02:39 AM EDT
[#1]
(CoC) manufacturing?  (KaBoom)
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 12:03:24 AM EDT
[#2]
They're gonna use it make dihydrogen monoxide and poison the water supply!
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 12:04:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Serious prepper was seriously prepping
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 12:05:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Must be a new diet fad. Vitamins are bad for your body, drink distilled water!
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 12:06:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Centrifuges

Heavy water...pepper your angus
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 12:06:32 AM EDT
[#6]
In SpaceBalls the villains sucked out the whole planets atmosphere.  Perhaps they are slowly depleting our entire freshwater supply....one...bottle...at...a time.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 12:07:07 AM EDT
[#7]
We use distilled water in the humidifier for our 10 month old.  Maybe a lot of sick kids around?  I usually buy 10 gallons at a time.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 12:07:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They're gonna use it make dihydrogen monoxide and poison the water supply!
View Quote

SHIT! that's what I was afraid of!  I better go get some water!

SHIT! they're all out!

PEAK WATER! Oh teh noes!
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 12:07:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Ban dihydrogen monoxide, for the children!!!1
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 12:09:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I blew a thermostat gasket in my car, replaced it and went looking for distilled water.  

1 Walmart, 2 Walmarts, 3 Walmarts 4.....

4 walmarts, three general grocery stores,  3 supermarkets,  

all gone. All distilled water bought out. I asked at 3 of the walmarts "where is your distilled water?"

all three had similar answer: "it's the weirdest thing,  someone bought it all out yesterday. we're totally out. I've never seen that before"

I can't think of anything really bad you can do with distilled water.  fill a LOT of radiators.  Maybe someone is stripping 87 miles of wallpaper?  clothes ironing contest maybe?

just thought it was weird that in the last two days,  someone has cleaned out every local store of distilled water.  we're talking at least a couple hundred gallons just from shelf stock.  One lady at walmart said they took everything they had in back too.  

just kinda weird. I finally found a couple gallons at like a rite-aid or something, but it took several stores to find it.
View Quote

Mormons hoard that shit.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 12:09:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Just go buy pre mixed 50/50 coolant
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 12:10:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
We use distilled water in the humidifier for our 10 month old.  Maybe a lot of sick kids around?  I usually buy 10 gallons at a time.
View Quote

possibly.... but we haven't really hit heavy flu season here yet, and it seems odd someone would have a kid so sick they'd go in and say "give me every bottle of distilled water you have".

I really can't think of anything bad you could do with distilled you couldn't do with normal water, just seems really odd.  Unless there is some local manufacturing plant that uses distilled and their machine broke or something......
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 12:12:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Mormons hoard that shit.
View Quote

not distilled. and only rookies would store those flimsy white carton bottles, they get leaky and crack within a few months. Proper mormon hoarders buy those huge blue water barrels, or even cleaned out fructose syrup barrels.

You'd get laughed out of mormon hoarder club with a pallet of those flimsy white jugs...
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 12:14:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Some car batteries you pour water into. Don't know if it can be tap water or if it has to be distilled.

Something nefarious is bound to happen.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 12:14:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

can't toyota red which is apparently filled with gold flecks and unobtanium.  that is some expensive freaking coolant!  Like almost 40 bucks a bottle.

but comes non-pre-mix.

plus I hate paying about 6 bucks for 1/2 gallon of water. that pisses me off. i'm cheap.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 12:14:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Maybe they are planning on microwaving a bunch and then tossing a metal spoon in it at just the right moment.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 12:15:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Local mosque it tipped off about attack on water supply. Local muslims stocking up. The foil is so tight it burns.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 12:15:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Some car batteries you pour water into. Don't know if it can be tap water or if it has to be distilled.

View Quote

has to be distilled in batteries. well it could be normal, but you'll jack up your plates and kill the battery faster.

I was thinking you could take 200 gallons of distilled water,  feed it to 200 Boy Scouts, and write

FBHO in the snow on a football field in pee and it'd be about 40 yards high and cover most of the field.  

maybe that's what's happening.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 12:16:20 AM EDT
[#19]

Panic buy after they read on arfcom that Obama was going to ban it with an EO.

Link Posted: 12/18/2015 12:16:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Local mosque it tipped off about attack on water supply. Local muslims stocking up. The foil is so tight it burns.
View Quote

we drove right past the only mosqu'ish looking building in the county.  They're Hare Krishnas, and no water to be seen, but hella llamas all over the place.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 12:17:16 AM EDT
[#21]
In Utah I would say it's just Mormons .....there known to be shtf horders....
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 12:18:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Poison local water source, keep fresh water on hand?
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 12:18:29 AM EDT
[#23]
only things that comes to mind are that distilled water is an electrical insulator (though not a particularly good one), and distilled/de-ionized water is important in electronics manufacturing (probably for the same reason).
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 12:18:43 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View Quote

Probably this.  We have to use distilled in ours, or it will turn into a miniature version of the caliche terraces at Mammoth Hot Springs.

Link Posted: 12/18/2015 12:19:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

no reason to use specifically distilled water for that--any old bottled water will do.  

or just fill the bathtub the day before.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 12:20:52 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
not distilled. and only rookies would store those flimsy white carton bottles, they get leaky and crack within a few months. Proper mormon hoarders buy those huge blue water barrels, or even cleaned out fructose syrup barrels.

You'd get laughed out of mormon hoarder club with a pallet of those flimsy white jugs...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Mormons hoard that shit.

Yep, real preppers go down to the local Coca-Cola bottling plant and pick up those empty Coke syrup barrels and leave the "CORROSIVE" sticker on it.

Link Posted: 12/18/2015 12:21:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

we drove right past the only mosqu'ish looking building in the county.  They're Hare Krishnas, and no water to be seen, but hella llamas all over the place.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seeing them run always cracks me up.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 12:21:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

can't toyota red which is apparently filled with gold flecks and unobtanium.  that is some expensive freaking coolant!  Like almost 40 bucks a bottle.

but comes non-pre-mix.

plus I hate paying about 6 bucks for 1/2 gallon of water. that pisses me off. i'm cheap.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

but comes non-pre-mix.

Yeah all manufactures have there "own" specific coolant that has to be used ....or your car will blow up and kill your whole family........that whole specific coolant shit is all bullshit
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 12:22:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Humidify lots of cigars?
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 12:22:27 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View Quote

Shit is awesome though.  Here's my 12 year old thermostat housing from a 2003 Tacoma.  Nothing but Toyota Red, changed every 4 years

Link Posted: 12/18/2015 12:26:06 AM EDT
[#31]
Hopefully they're not drinking that stuff with out adding some electrolyte mix, or eating high salt foods. Stuff will throw off your electrolyte levels.

Also, only nefarious thing I could think of was rigging some kind of improvised explosive with some Li, Na, K, or God forbid Cs. But I seriously doubt it, as it is very cost prohibitive and you'd need a proper understanding of the nature of the reaction and how to rig a mechanism for a delayed reaction through either chemical or mechanical means. I'd say more, but I don't want to get banned and/or be placed on a watch list.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 12:27:06 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

no reason to use specifically distilled water for that--any old bottled water will do.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're in TX, but that's not Florida......the hurricane alley. One bathtub of water goes pretty dang quick.

BTW, the bathtub of water is to flush toilets if/when the water gets shut down

Link Posted: 12/18/2015 12:28:19 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Distilled if you've got it, but I've always used tap.  Then again, that's what I've always used in radiators as well.  

ETA: Never refilled with toyota red in my toyota either.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 12:28:37 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Shit is awesome though.  Here's my 12 year old thermostat housing from a 2003 Tacoma.  Nothing but Toyota Red, changed every 4 years

http://i749.photobucket.com/albums/xx135/AssaultRifler/Misc/Tacoma/TacomaThermo20150410_06.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i749.photobucket.com/albums/xx135/AssaultRifler/Misc/Tacoma/TacomaThermo20150410_06.jpg

You Change your thermostat every 4 years???????
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 12:29:10 AM EDT
[#35]
Distillation is the first step in producing Deuterium Oxide, otherwise known as heavy water.  With heavy water, plutonium can be produced from a nuclear reactor without the need for enriched uranium.  Thus, simplifying the production of a nuclear weapon.

Thats probably what they're doing with it.

Link Posted: 12/18/2015 12:30:48 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Yep, real preppers go down to the local Coca-Cola bottling plant and pick up those empty Coke syrup barrels and leave the "CORROSIVE" sticker on it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mormons hoard that shit.

Fruit Syrup. Apple Juice, Orange Juice etc.

I have 6 55 gallon drums of water in my garage that used to be filled with concentrated apple juice.

The water out of it is fine. They are food grade barrels and the distributor steam cleans them and sells them cheap.  55 gallon blue barrels can be 40 bucks, the fruit syrup barrels I can get for 10-15 bucks
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 12:31:06 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It looks clean due to the fact your doing coolant flushes so often.....
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 12:32:09 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Bingo.

The answer the OP seeks.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 12:33:54 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

same.  normally I call bullshit on "specific coolant" but I have read the Toyota Red really does have more anti-corrosion properties, and lubricates better.

with two Land Cruisers WELL north of 200K miles and spotless cooling systems,  I'm sort of sold on it.

and it works out cheap as the rest, cause I rarely change it.  it goes forever.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 12:37:16 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Bingo.

The answer the OP seeks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bingo.

The answer the OP seeks.

this is a decent theory, but I have two problems with it:  I have two kids in school, neither of them have been sick, and report that not many of their friends are sick. we ahven't really hit peak flu here yet.

and I just can't rationalize ONE GUY with sick kids coming in and saying "I'll take every gallon of distilled water you have".  the one store sold him 50+ gallons of distilled.  The lady I talked to said they normally only get distilled every week or two, and they were cleaned out till their next shipment, and they'd just gotten a new shipment.

Unless 1 dad is buying distilled for the whole neighborhood,  but 6-7 more stores?  Just doesn't seem that likely....
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 12:40:12 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

I have 6 55 gallon drums of water in my garage that used to be filled with concentrated apple juice.
The water out of it is fine. They are food grade barrels and the distributor steam cleans them and sells them cheap.  55 gallon blue barrels can be 40 bucks, the fruit syrup barrels I can get for 10-15 bucks

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Mormons hoard that shit.

Yes, but there are plenty of people who have the other type.

In Utah, if you look in your neighbor's back yard and see several 55-gallon plastic drums with a DOT 8 sticker on them, it's not because they are running their own hazardous waste disposal site.  

Link Posted: 12/18/2015 12:41:22 AM EDT
[#42]
Someone could be making a hell of a lot of meth or HME.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 12:42:29 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mormons hoard that shit.

I stand corrected!
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 12:45:48 AM EDT
[#44]
Coolant changes on a fleet of DShK-equipped Toyota pickups?
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 12:49:01 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Coolant changes on a fleet of DShK-equipped Toyota pickups?
View Quote

NAILED IT!

that's probably the most likely,  some factory or maybe a trucking firm here is doing maintenance on their fleet and ran out or something......

Maybe the local nat guard is changing out the coolant on all their armor.....
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 12:50:12 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

same.  normally I call bullshit on "specific coolant" but I have read the Toyota Red really does have more anti-corrosion properties, and lubricates better.

with two Land Cruisers WELL north of 200K miles and spotless cooling systems,  I'm sort of sold on it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mix the orange with the blue/green and get back to me

Knew a friend in college that killed his truck after doing that, 6 months later I guess it geled up or something and his truck overheated and something broke, I don't remember what though. But he found out after mixing the two is probably what caused it.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 12:57:58 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Knew a friend in college that killed his truck after doing that, 6 months later I guess it geled up or something and his truck overheated and something broke, I don't remember what though. But he found out after mixing the two is probably what caused it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

same thing happened to my kid in his honda civic.  Was full of Orange aluminum safe,  he ran it hot up a huge long hill and overheated it and spilled some coolant.

put normal green in it,  few months later it was overheating like mad. when we pulled the cap the coolant was this sludgy, slimy mess and had this really weird brown color.  

had to flush the entire system, replace the radiator, and put normal AL safe coolant in there. Cost a bunch.  dumbass kids....
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 12:58:54 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

possibly.... but we haven't really hit heavy flu season here yet, and it seems odd someone would have a kid so sick they'd go in and say "give me every bottle of distilled water you have".

I really can't think of anything bad you could do with distilled you couldn't do with normal water, just seems really odd. Unless there is some local manufacturing plant that uses distilled and their machine broke or something......
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I really can't think of anything bad you could do with distilled you couldn't do with normal water, just seems really odd. Unless there is some local manufacturing plant that uses distilled and their machine broke or something......

Bingo.  My company uses a few dozen gallons of deionized water a day.  We have an onsite generator for it, if that went out no question we'd immediately send someone to go buy a week+ supply, distilled would get us by until the deionizer is fixed.  A few hundred dollars of water in plastic jugs is nothing compared with shutting the company.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 12:59:26 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I really can't think of anything bad you could do with distilled you couldn't do with normal water, just seems really odd.  Unless there is some local manufacturing plant that uses distilled and their machine broke or something......
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I use it to fill up a fish tank because my well water is really hard...
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 1:00:05 AM EDT
[#50]
Humidifier use goes up in the winter.

Baby formula?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top