Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 9:15:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 9:15:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The membership can continue to discuss all kinds of tough topics, they just need to stay within the rules while doing so.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Being serious for a moment, it is worth noting that Site Staff and Moderators have done an exceptional job of balancing the "no kill em all" rule with allowing for a very open dialogue on subjects that are neither pleasant to discuss nor have easy answers.

I hope this thread isn't a formal announcement that such discussions are to be drawn to a close and that moderation will be more stringent going forward. I respect and support the prohibition on suggesting genocide (aka "sheet of glass" or "turn X into a parking lot"), but the degree of leniency shown recently has actually allowed for a discussion instead of vague innuendos and animated gifs.

The membership can continue to discuss all kinds of tough topics, they just need to stay within the rules while doing so.  

Wait a second....

Are you suggesting when Zhukov asked how to deal with the situation that really wasn't hunting over bait?!?

You know I'm giving you a hard time, right?
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 9:18:14 PM EDT
[#3]
What about a scorched earth policy in select parts of the earth...
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 9:19:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I would never say those words but the thought has crossed my mind lately. Kind of like, what if?

Link Posted: 11/17/2015 9:22:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 9:22:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Freedom be scary, yo.

COC/ your site your rules and all that. No problem with it
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 9:23:11 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Being serious for a moment, it is worth noting that Site Staff and Moderators have done an exceptional job of balancing the "no kill em all" rule with allowing for a very open dialogue on subjects that are neither pleasant to discuss nor have easy answers.

I hope this thread isn't a formal announcement that such discussions are to be drawn to a close and that moderation will be more stringent going forward. I respect and support the prohibition on suggesting genocide (aka "sheet of glass" or "turn X into a parking lot"), but the degree of leniency shown recently has actually allowed for a discussion instead of vague innuendos and animated gifs.
View Quote

There are hundreds, if not thousands, of posts in the last 5 days that if I replaced 'Muslim' with 'Christian' I would be banned. Open dialogue goes both ways

Link Posted: 11/17/2015 9:23:42 PM EDT
[#8]
K, will co
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 9:25:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 9:27:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 9:36:37 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I hope you mean Steubenville  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The bitch Mother Nature is blowing away the earth here. We've had gust on one ridge of 113mph

So one spark and it'd be scorched.

Anyone for a Sand Sammich?

Ed

Link Posted: 11/17/2015 9:44:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Heed the Warning Folks, this Mod doesn't play games
View Quote

No he doesn't.....most of my "time outs" came from VA, but I still ?? Him
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 9:49:32 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

The bitch Mother Nature is blowing away the earth here. We've had gust on one ridge of 113mph

Ed

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ed

Cry me a river.

I'm pretty sure half the fucking ocean is being dumped on Portland right now.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 9:57:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Can we say "Kill them all" when we refer to hunting wild hog?
View Quote

Or beers?
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 10:04:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 10:07:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 10:10:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 10:57:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
There is a difference between supporting World War II style total warfare and supporting genocide.

We'll have to continue to agree to disagree.

http://gutezitate.com/zitate-bilder/zitat-wollt-ihr-den-totalen-krieg-wollt-ihr-ihn-wenn-notig-totaler-und-radikaler-als-wir-ihn-uns-joseph-goebbels-184007.jpg

My Deutsch is very limited, and I can't exactly drop that text into Google Translate.

What does that say?
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 10:59:44 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Cry me a river.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ed

Cry me a river.

It's Portland. Have you seen Burnside on a Friday night?

Ed

Link Posted: 11/17/2015 11:01:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Have you seen my spelling?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Heed the Warning Folks, this Mod doesn't play games

What about scrabble?

Have you seen my spelling?

Well yeah, I want to win!
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 11:03:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I haven't bothered reading many of the recent spate of Islam threads, but I have seen a pattern here over the past ten or whatever years I have been staff.

Something happens, riots, terrorist attacks, cops kill someone, whatever
People go batshit
Staff and mods wait it out for a couple of days
"Knock if off" warning
Most people knock it off and go back to "grumble grumble coc prevents me"
Some guys don't get it and keep it up ( add "I was drunk/ my wife left" etc) and get the boot as the examples with their heads on pikes around the village walls.
View Quote

So what you're saying is you want to kill everyone who doesn't follow the CoC? All of 'em?
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 11:04:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Just give them all jobs and let God sort it out.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 11:04:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

http://gutezitate.com/zitate-bilder/zitat-wollt-ihr-den-totalen-krieg-wollt-ihr-ihn-wenn-notig-totaler-und-radikaler-als-wir-ihn-uns-joseph-goebbels-184007.jpg

The caption reads: "Do you want total war? Do you want it, if needed, more total and more radical, than we can even imagine it today?"  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There is a difference between supporting World War II style total warfare and supporting genocide.

The caption reads: "Do you want total war? Do you want it, if needed, more total and more radical, than we can even imagine it today?"  

is that a love letter?

ETA: dammit, I didn't catch your edit.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 11:04:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 11:15:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My Deutsch is very limited, and I can't exactly drop that text into Google Translate.

What does that say?

I will answer that.

I don't want it, but there may come a time where the survival of my nation and the people depends on it. The cost of peace is often paid by the suffering of war.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 11:16:42 PM EDT
[#26]
10-4 ovrnout
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 11:18:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 11:37:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I will answer that.

I don't want it, but there may come a time where the survival of my nation and the people depends on it. The cost of peace is often paid by the suffering of war.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What does that say?

I will answer that.

No sane person hopes for war, of any kind.  But as you say, sometimes there is no alternative.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 11:43:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 11:46:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 11:48:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

No sane person hopes for war, of any kind.  But as you say, sometimes there is no alternative.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What does that say?

I will answer that.

That's it entirely.

I'd be happy, more than happy, if the Western world and the Muslim world could separate and go to their corners in peace like two prize fighters after 12 rounds on the mat. I was raised with no hatred, I have no higher power that is served by harm to Islam, I just want peace and to raise my child in as safe of an environment as possible. I'm the traditional pre-WWI isolationist American. Leave me to my toil and my family and I won't trouble you over yours.

I do not believe that the Islamic world is willing to walk away from the fight.

I won't accept that political correctness and geopolitical acceptance is a suicide pact. That is the direction we are heading toward and it is unacceptable. I have no lust for blood, I have no score that must be settled, I see no glory or honor in what it might take to safeguard our nation or our people. Winning is living our lives the way our forefathers fought to secure for us. What it takes to win may cost the souls of a generation.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 11:49:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

We're not talking about war; we're talking about TOTAL war, a war of extermination.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will answer that.

We're not talking about war; we're talking about TOTAL war, a war of extermination.

Historically, what is your opinion of the firebombing of Dresden or Tokyo, and what is your opinion of the use of the atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki?
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 12:02:05 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will answer that.

No. Not a war of extermination. Not even close.

Total war means you open Pandora's box. You don't pay heed to the cost.

It doesn't mean you launch every missile and drop every bomb. It means you hit hard and where it hurts. You don't worry about international opinion. You accept that you are damned for your actions, but you do it anyway. It doesn't mean "kill them all." It really doesn't. It means being willing to do so.

Total war means doing things you don't want to do, things you will never forgive yourself for doing, to protect your county. It means hitting a high value target even if the cost in collateral damage is high. It means hurting your conscience as much as you hurt your enemy.

Total war is reprehensible because it kills the hearts and souls of the victor as much as it does the bodies and land of the loser. It is the ultimate failure of diplomacy and humanity, as it requires a nation or alliance of nations to suspend their beliefs and honor in exchange for survival.

We may come to a point where victory, which I would define as winning militarily, diplomatically, and still retaining your cultural values and moral high ground, becomes impossible. That is where total war is the choice a nation must make. A deal with the devil to save your children at a cost that is unspeakable.

Even a glimpse into Pandora's box, a battle or skirmish that crosses the line, leaves an incurable scar on those present. While I do believe we may reach the point of needing to suspend the honorable limitations placed by civilized nations on waging war, I'm not so daft as to think we can drink from that well and not be poisoned by it.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 12:05:12 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/18/2015 12:08:30 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 12:08:50 AM EDT
[#36]

Referring to Gungans of course. Not rolling dice tonight
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 12:19:01 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Ed

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ed

Cry me a river.

Ed

I see Burnside every night unfortunately.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 12:19:18 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will answer that.

No, "total war" != "war of extermination".
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 12:20:28 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

It doesn't mean you launch every missile and drop every bomb. It means you hit hard and where it hurts. You don't worry about international opinion. You accept that you are damned for your actions, but you do it anyway. It doesn't mean "kill them all." It really doesn't. It means being willing to do so.

Total war means doing things you don't want to do, things you will never forgive yourself for doing, to protect your county. It means hitting a high value target even if the cost in collateral damage is high. It means hurting your conscience as much as you hurt your enemy.

Total war is reprehensible because it kills the hearts and souls of the victor as much as it does the bodies and land of the loser. It is the ultimate failure of diplomacy and humanity, as it requires a nation or alliance of nations to suspend their beliefs and honor in exchange for survival.

We may come to a point where victory, which I would define as winning militarily, diplomatically, and still retaining your cultural values and moral high ground, becomes impossible. That is where total war is the choice a nation must make. A deal with the devil to save your children at a cost that is unspeakable.

Even a glimpse into Pandora's box, a battle or skirmish that crosses the line, leaves an incurable scar on those present. While I do believe we may reach the point of needing to suspend the honorable limitations placed by civilized nations on waging war, I'm not so daft as to think we can drink from that well and not be poisoned by it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will answer that.

It means being willing to pay whatever price is required to win.  WWII was total war, and we didn't "exterminate" anyone.  We did things that the international community still cries about, but they had to be done.  

Link Posted: 11/18/2015 12:33:29 AM EDT
[#40]

Link Posted: 11/18/2015 12:53:08 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

It means being willing to pay whatever price is required to win.  WWII was total war, and we didn't "exterminate" anyone.  We did things that the international community still cries about, but they had to be done.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will answer that.

I'm far from an authority on Christianity, but it is to me like the story of Abraham and Isaac.

It is not the terrible deed, it is the moment of acceptance and willingness to do the deed. That is, as a country, where we need to be. No joy in the deed. None.

And if there is a God, total war really doesn't mean a war of extermination. May we as a nation be spared that burden.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 12:54:27 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

That's a great diagram, except that quite a few people have been pushing to expand the yellow circle to mean the entire green circle, making no distinction between the two saying they're basically one and the same.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

That's a great diagram, except that quite a few people have been pushing to expand the yellow circle to mean the entire green circle, making no distinction between the two saying they're basically one and the same.

The yellow circle does a great job of that on their own.

Link Posted: 11/18/2015 1:08:38 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 6:28:26 AM EDT
[#44]
Guilty as charged

Won't apologize but I'll hold my tongue going forward.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 7:04:54 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I'm all for killing everyone who supports terrorists or terrorism.

Seems like that is pretty much the only option to live in peace at this point anyway. It is just a matter of when and who ends up doing it.
View Quote

I have no stomach for genocide. I could live with killing terrorists until they stop.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 7:18:34 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I have no stomach for genocide. I could live with killing terrorists until they stop.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seems like that is pretty much the only option to live in peace at this point anyway. It is just a matter of when and who ends up doing it.

So you're saying that all Muslims are terrorists?
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 8:04:28 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not sure how you read that into what I said.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 8:12:05 AM EDT
[#48]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_fJ3Hcn9_w
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 8:18:08 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Blaming an entire group for terrorism is like blaming every musician ever for Nickelback.

(not mine)
View Quote

A coworker said this on Facebook. I told him that yes, we could blame all musicians for Nickleback. It was up to them to police their own. They should have nipped that shit in the bud.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 8:18:29 AM EDT
[#50]
What if we offer the option to convert?
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top