BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 10:02:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So I never understood that if projectile improvements helped 9mm wouldn't it also help 40 and 45? The gist of the report is saying weak shooters is the reason we switched back to 9mm. If you are a weak shooter should you even have a job that involves the high potential to use a handgun?
View Quote

No because of SPEED...you can make a 9mm expand better due to speed...where the .45 does not get the same percentage of improvement from the same bullet type because it is slower....

and .40's are just retarded  
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 10:04:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Cops can't shoot for shit so they need more rounds.  

There...I summarized it for you all.
View Quote

The military is worse.
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 10:07:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The cliff notes:

1. Good 9mm bullets make wounds just as big as .40 cal or .45 ACP.

2. You get more capacity with 9mm than with .40 or .45.

3. 9mm has less recoil than the other common duty caliber rounds

Basically, 9mm (with good projectiles) perform just as well as the other duty calibers, while allowing for greater magazine capacity and more accurate, quicker follow-up shots. Therefore it makes little sense to choose .40, .45 or .357 Sig when 9mm will do the same job without any of the negatives associated with the other calibers.

Nothing really ground breaking or earth shattering. Anyone who has followed terminal ballistics at all likely already reached this same conclusion a decade ago.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/9/2015 10:10:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

don't modern day expanding hollow points from 9 to .40 to .45 all exhibit similar expansion and penetration?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So my understanding is the FBI tested then recommended 9mm as the best option for LE duty but gave no testing information as to how they came to the decision?
A decision that has not only the weight of possibly saving or getting LEOs killed, but has also gotten every limp wristing shooters panties wet and jellofied with cheesy poof dust.

don't modern day expanding hollow points from 9 to .40 to .45 all exhibit similar expansion and penetration?

Yep.

FBI qual scores dropped when they adopted the 40S&W.

Link Posted: 11/9/2015 10:11:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I think the FBI should clarify that combat related stress decreases accuracy potential, which in turn correlates a lower hit % in LE related shootings. A blanket "LE miss 80% shots " statement, while likely true does not highlight the core issue. More rounds=more chances to hit. Now you will have .45 holdouts arguing that their superior training negates 9mm's advantages.
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 10:12:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

You're only talking a difference of ~0.1" between 9mm and 45acp. There's only so much a bullet that size going at pistol velocities is going to do terminally. The bullet designs have just gotten good enough that the little difference in size and weight just doesn't affect performance that much. The benefits from the rest of the findings that 9mm provides really start to add up now.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So I never understood that if projectile improvements helped 9mm wouldn't it also help 40 and 45? The gist of the report is saying weak shooters is the reason we switched back to 9mm. If you are a weak shooter should you even have a job that involves the high potential to use a handgun?

You're only talking a difference of ~0.1" between 9mm and 45acp. There's only so much a bullet that size going at pistol velocities is going to do terminally. The bullet designs have just gotten good enough that the little difference in size and weight just doesn't affect performance that much. The benefits from the rest of the findings that 9mm provides really start to add up now.

Well put. I'm afraid that there isn't much dispute on this issue. I'm having a difficult time continuing to justify carrying a .45 at this point.
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 10:16:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The cliff notes:

1. Good 9mm bullets make wounds just as big as .40 cal or .45 ACP.

2. You get more capacity with 9mm than with .40 or .45.

3. 9mm has less recoil than the other common duty caliber rounds

Basically, 9mm (with good projectiles) perform just as well as the other duty calibers, while allowing for greater magazine capacity and more accurate, quicker follow-up shots. Therefore it makes little sense to choose .40, .45 or .357 Sig when 9mm will do the same job without any of the negatives associated with the other calibers.

Nothing really ground breaking or earth shattering. Anyone who has followed terminal ballistics at all likely already reached this same conclusion a decade ago.
View Quote

Very clearly stated. I can handle the .45, have carried one for decades. The advantages of 9mm can't be ignored at this point. It makes sense to switch.
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 10:16:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The military is worse.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cops can't shoot for shit so they need more rounds.  

There...I summarized it for you all.

The military is worse.

That was admitted long ago.
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 10:29:39 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
thats the point I been making since all this started

people love to compare modern bullet designs in the 9mm to older less effective HPs in other calibers then crow how its better or just as good

as if ammo companies dont upgrade across the board

the performance gap still exists.     of course even with ball.   45 is still 45 at the least  9mm is still 9mm, 40 is still 10mm etc etc
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

thats the point I been making since all this started

people love to compare modern bullet designs in the 9mm to older less effective HPs in other calibers then crow how its better or just as good

as if ammo companies dont upgrade across the board

the performance gap still exists.     of course even with ball.   45 is still 45 at the least  9mm is still 9mm, 40 is still 10mm etc etc

Are those companies actually putting R&D into the larger calibers or just upsizing what tested great in 9mm?
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 10:41:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Certainly makes a much faster shooting game gun.
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 10:50:49 PM EDT
[#11]
They've used lots of 9mm handguns in the past in various capacities (Sigs, S&Ws, and even Hi Powers).  

This trend toward 9mm is nice because it's really driving down the price on .40.  
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 5:21:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 7:13:25 PM EDT
[#13]
As all things must, this too, shall pass.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 7:15:14 PM EDT
[#14]
9MM has always been the best well rounded round.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 7:21:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Chuckle.... the 9mm round works fine but the reasoning for the change is more about the recruits they are hiring.

Pre 9-11 the Bureau was largely made up of former cops and military guys. The mission was bank robbery, drugs and kidnapping along with white collar stuff.

Post 9-11 its all about terrorism and recruits are college kids that have never been yelled at or made to eat their veggies.

Its the same thing being dealt with across the country in every major LE agency.

I'll be keeping my .40 and .45s but feel fine with a G26 and a spare mag for off duty.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 7:54:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

They do benefit, it's just that there is not any real difference in terminal ballsitics and 9mm offers both better mag capacity and easier follow up shots.  Why make it harder than it has to be?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top