Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 13
Posted: 10/2/2015 3:02:31 PM EDT
35 American Mariners aboard. Their last communication said they had lost power and had a 15 degree list.

My deep sea brothers need some prayers.

Two ocean going tugs have been sent out to help them and the CG is searching as well.

https://gcaptain.com/tote-maritime-us-cargo-ship-el-faro-missing-in-hurricane-joaquin/#.Vg6nVxNViko
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 3:05:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 3:10:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Is 15 degrees really that bad?
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 3:12:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 3:12:55 PM EDT
[#4]
They were going from Jacksonville to Puerto Rico. Is it normal from them to sail off into a hurricane like that ?
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 3:13:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

1" tall, no. 150' tall, that's a whole lot of lean.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 3:14:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Loaded down with over 300 containers on deck and more containers and cars below. I'd imagine the list plus the weight up top would be bad.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 3:14:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Built 1975?  That's really old for a container ship, isn't it?

http://www.worldshipping.org/about-the-industry/liner-ships/container-ship-design
Container ships have an approximate lifespan of 26 years.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 3:15:02 PM EDT
[#8]
What kind of lifeboats do they have on those? Any chance they could've gotten off the ship?
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 3:16:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Depends. In flat calm seas it's worrisome; in the middle of a hurricane it's pretty bad.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 3:16:46 PM EDT
[#10]
prayer sent
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 3:18:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What kind of lifeboats do they have on those? Any chance they could've gotten off the ship?
View Quote

Usually this style and inflatables.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 3:18:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

With a ship like that im guessing it capsized pretty catastrophically if it did go over... so hopefully they realized they needed to get off before that happened if that is the case.  

Hope its not a WCS and they lost coms or something... prayers for those on board.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 3:19:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
They were going from Jacksonville to Puerto Rico. Is it normal from them to sail off into a hurricane like that ?
View Quote

The Navy will send its ships out to sea if a hurricane is approaching, better to ride it out at sea than get battered alongside a pier. However, they usually will route those ships away from a hurricane and not towards it. I'm guessing that merchants will do the same.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 3:19:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Loaded down with over 300 containers on deck and more containers and cars below. I'd imagine the list plus the weight up top would be bad.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

and no propulsion according to the article.

Not good with a storm around.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 3:21:02 PM EDT
[#15]

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j00RByTKcbWrelM/Totally-Enclosed-FRP-Lifeboat-Rescue-Boat.jpg

Here are pictures of the ship. Cant see any on it... It would have to have some somewhere though.

Edit: Looks like white hulls w/open tops maybe top and each side of the tower/superstructure/whatever.

Link Posted: 10/2/2015 3:21:58 PM EDT
[#16]

Prayers for all involved.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 3:23:28 PM EDT
[#17]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j00RByTKcbWrelM/Totally-Enclosed-FRP-Lifeboat-Rescue-Boat.jpg

Link Posted: 10/2/2015 3:25:18 PM EDT
[#18]
If El Faro (the lighthouse) has been lost, I hope her crew is alive in the lifeboats.  Aren't modern lifeboats equipped with some sort of transponder that will emit an emergency beacon?
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 3:25:20 PM EDT
[#19]

Doesn't El Faro mean "the lighthouse"?
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 3:26:18 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Depends. In flat calm seas it's worrisome; in the middle of a hurricane it's pretty bad.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not to mention loss of power. You're at the mercy of the sea, which has no mercy.

Link Posted: 10/2/2015 3:28:40 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm not an ocean guy...  is it common to continue steaming INTO a hurricane?
Or, if not for the engineering problems, would they normally have deviated?

Link Posted: 10/2/2015 3:35:56 PM EDT
[#22]
This is a small industry.  I pray the get the plant back up and get to port safely.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 3:36:01 PM EDT
[#23]
20-30' waves and no power - no bueno.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 3:36:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

http://www.worldshipping.org/about-the-industry/liner-ships/container-ship-design

US port to US port; the ship must be built and flagged in the US. (The Jones Act)

Since we aren't competitive at shipbuilding, a lot of that fleet is very old.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 3:43:45 PM EDT
[#25]

yup.  different pics show them better

Link Posted: 10/2/2015 3:54:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

US port to US port; the ship must be built and flagged in the US. (The Jones Act)

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

TOTE is building a pair of CNG-powered ships at NASSCO to replace these.  One of them has already launched and should be near delivery.  The other should be ready to launch very soon.  I know NASSCO was having problems with the ships, though.  If their problems are anything like my problems, they need all the help they can get.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 3:57:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Yes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.

No expert here but these things come to mind

35 Crew means it is a sizeable ship .

15% roll is one thing but a 15% list means sizeable cargo shifting or a good deal of flooding (possible both )

I agree on the bad.

Not sure what happens if a container ship gets to the point where it is sinking . To a certain extent the containers themselves would have a fair bit of buoyancy but they could be breaking loose at some point
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 3:58:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wonder what the metacentric height is with all of those containers.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 3:59:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I'm not an ocean guy...  is it common to continue steaming INTO a hurricane?
Or, if not for the engineering problems, would they normally have deviated?

View Quote

If you're already IN the hurricane, then yes.  You heave to...  Point your bow into the winds and seas to get the best possible ride and maintain headway.

Ideally, you look at weather forecasts and go around as best you can.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 3:59:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 4:00:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
20-30' waves and no power - no bueno.
View Quote

Despite modern technology, the sea is still a dangerous place.  Definitely not a good position to be in.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 4:00:16 PM EDT
[#32]
yes this ship was old, TOTE had slated this ship and it's sistership for replacement next year, there are 2 newbuilds coming out. this ship carried enclosed lifeboats but not freefall lifeboats 15 degee list when you've lost the plant can be very bad news especially on a RO-RO with lots of open interior deck areas for water to move adding the danger of free surface effect. this one is hitting pretty close to home, I went to school with 3 pf the people onboard.

USCG has 2 C-130's searching.
http://www.joc.com/maritime-news/container-lines/coast-guard-searches-missing-tote-ship-bahamas_20151002.html
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 4:00:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Tag for updates
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 4:02:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Isn't the storm quite a bit north of Jacksonville? As they head south to PR they should have been moving away from the storm but I am not sure of the timing as far as where they and the storm was when they left.

With a sizeable ship being in port or near shore is no place to be in a storm

Link Posted: 10/2/2015 4:09:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Isn't the storm quite a bit north of Jacksonville? As they head south to PR they should have been moving away from the storm but I am not sure of the timing as far as where they and the storm was when they left.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The eye is still in the Bahamas. It hasn't moved north at all really
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 4:11:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

which is whats making the coast guard's job so difficult.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 4:12:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

The Interstate Highway system allows a 6% grade - three degrees - because any more than that is too steep an incline.

Fifteen degrees is very bad. The Tower Of Pisa had to be restored when the lean angle was five and a half degrees.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 4:15:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

The Interstate Highway system allows a 6% grade - three degrees - because any more than that is too steep an incline.

Fifteen degrees is very bad. The Tower Of Pisa had to be restored when the lean angle was five and a half degrees.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

bear in mind we're not talking about roll, we're talking about list. BIG difference. 15 degree list, loss of the powerplant plus the vessel reported flooding. very, very, very bad.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 4:16:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Roll, no.  List yes, especially without power.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 4:17:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

bear in mind we're not talking about roll, we're talking about list. BIG difference. 15 degree list, loss of the powerplant plus the vessel reported flooding. very, very, very bad.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wonder what the cause of the flooding is.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 4:19:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

No not really. US Merchant fleet has been driven into the ground. Yes there are younger vessels, but there are PLENTY that are much older.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 4:21:05 PM EDT
[#42]

Yeah that's what it looks like, not cool.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 4:23:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

with RO-RO's the loading/unloading ramps are often the culprit.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 4:23:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
If El Faro (the lighthouse) has been lost, I hope her crew is alive in the lifeboats.  Aren't modern lifeboats equipped with some sort of transponder that will emit an emergency beacon?
View Quote

They should have EPIRBS in them.

One of my old engineers went to SUNY Maritime with the El Faro's chief engineer. It's a small community, more so for the deep sea guys. It doesn't take to many degrees of separation to know of someone who knows someone on this ship.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 4:26:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

One of my old engineers went to SUNY Maritime with the El Faro's chief engineer. It's a small community, more so for the deep sea guys. It doesn't take to many degrees of separation to know of someone who knows someone on this ship.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yes lifeboats have EPIRB's in them. this ship had the old open style boats and old school gravity davits. they work except for the fact that someone has to stay on deck to work the davit to get the boat to the water. then climb down a jacobs ladder to the water and then board the lifeboat
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 4:27:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know the difference. I wonder what the captain was thinking. They went straight into the worst part of the storm.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 4:27:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

yes lifeboats have EPIRB's in them. this ship had the old open style boats and old school gravity davits. they work except for the fact that someone has to stay on deck to work the davit to get the boat to the water. then climb down a jacobs ladder to the water and then board the lifeboat
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what I thought too but I wasn't sure.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 4:28:27 PM EDT
[#48]

Link Posted: 10/2/2015 4:28:40 PM EDT
[#49]

Tough time to be east of the Bahamas I'd imagine.

Seas are flat come on our coast.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 4:29:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I know the difference. I wonder what the captain was thinking. They went straight into the worst part of the storm.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

while it's ultimately the captains call to leave port. corporate likes ships to move on schedule also this storm rapidly intensified. weathering a tropical storm as sea? not that big a deal. weathering a cat 4 hurricane at sea. totally different story. and at a certain point you can't turn tail and run anymore, you gotta just ride it out.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top