Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/16/2015 9:37:10 PM EDT
Is the age limit to contract as 18X now 30 instead of 35?  What is the pipeline for 18X candidates from Boot Camp on?  Serve in Ranger Battalion first?

Thanks,
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 9:41:26 PM EDT
[#1]
enlist as an 18x. youll go to infantry osut, airborne, sfas prep then sfas. If i'm not mistaken.

you dont need a waiver until you're 35.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 9:47:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 9:48:30 PM EDT
[#3]
No to Batt.

2ish years.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 9:49:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
enlist as an 18x. youll go to infantry osut, airborne, sfas prep then sfas. If i'm not mistaken.

View Quote

Las I heard that wasn't an option if you're under 20 either.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 9:54:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Last i heard you should finish an enlistment before trying
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 9:55:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Strong username OP.

Pretty sure 18x is even listed on the go army website these days. Including all the requirements, training and other bs.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 9:55:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Really?  Are you sure you can enlist, go into 18x, go SF, everything without an age waiver if you are under 35?  this may be life changing information for me unless NSW ups their age requirement soon (which they should)
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 9:56:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Also, you should go ask this question at professionalsoldiers.com

Link Posted: 9/16/2015 9:57:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes there is an SF piepline.  Get the book, Get Selected For Special forces.

Good luck and I hope you enlist for at least 11B.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 10:00:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Yea always thought it was 28. Hell im 33 and always regretted not trying harder than I did. Even if I don't make it I'll give it my best.

Quoted:

Really?  Are you sure you can enlist, go into 18x, go SF, everything without an age waiver if you are under 35?  this may be life changing information for me unless NSW ups their age requirement soon (which they should)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/16/2015 10:00:49 PM EDT
[#11]
All you need to be SF is an olympic level physique, and the ability to conduct PhD level cultural studies while shooting people in the face. Oh, and the ability to grow an epic beard.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 10:01:59 PM EDT
[#12]
if you want to wear a green beret get in damn good shape and become a master of land nav.  

I would recommend going airborne either infantry, engineer, medical, or commo - why these are sf skill sets.  

the real secret to getting through selection is not getting hurt.   delta force selection is the same tons of land nav you & lots of physical BS gotta never quit be good at the land nav but you need to be smart & careful enough to not get hurt even when your too tired to care if you get hurt.,  

it sounds easy but it isn't your going to gret hurt. be careful, be smart, goodluck
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 10:03:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Is there a 'pipeline' setup to going into SF for a somebody who wants to enlist in the Army?

Navy has a SO contract you can earn before you ship to RTC, does Army have a similar program?

Also, do you have to serve in Ranger Battalion before getting a chance at SF?  

How many years does it take to go from Boot Camp to SF, assuming you make it straight through?

Also, how difficult are age waivers to get into Boot Camp for a 30 year old?  (Assuming he can smash any PST test that was given for SO)
View Quote

Hasn't school started in your area yet? Why aren't you doing homework right now?
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 10:04:27 PM EDT
[#14]
18X

Get the fuck into shape well before you speak to a recruiter, you need to have a minimum of 240 on your APFT at the end of basic to hang onto your contract, and if you just barely pass the following months in training company, SOPC and selection will beat your ass into the mud.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 10:09:15 PM EDT
[#15]
18X for the win
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 10:14:14 PM EDT
[#16]
The fact the OP has to ask this question without trying to find the answer himself tells me he probably won't make it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 10:19:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
All you need to be SF is an olympic level physique, and the ability to conduct PhD level cultural studies while shooting people in the face. Oh, and the ability to grow an epic beard.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/16/2015 10:22:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
18X
View Quote

Best thing to ever happen to the 82nd Airborne.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 10:25:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Find an Army National Guard SF Unit.  19th and 20th group.  The max age is 32 I think.  Get a rep63 contract same as 18x but for NG.  Pass SFAS and the Q course then go active.  This is your best chance.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 10:26:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The fact the OP has to ask this question without trying to find the answer himself tells me he probably won't make it.
View Quote

This too. All it takes is a google search to find most of the questions anybody will have.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 10:31:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
18X

Bait recruits with the prospect of going straight to SF, maybe get a few and then get tons of washouts for infantry or other jobs. I would call it genius but there's no way the Army is competent enough to have done it intentionally.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 10:32:38 PM EDT
[#22]
hijack....

i was at work today with an army friend of mine, and he told me the age went back from 42 to 35....whats the possibility of someone getting a waiver to get in being over 35?
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 10:35:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
18X

Link Posted: 9/16/2015 10:35:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Bait recruits with the prospect of going straight to SF, maybe get a few and then get tons of washouts for infantry or other jobs. I would call it genius but there's no way the Army is competent enough to have done it intentionally.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
18X

Don't kid yourself.

Though it worked so well, it probably by accident.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 10:36:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 10:40:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Its 30 now.  NG has a higher max age now at like 32 or 34.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 10:43:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Haha. That may be true, but my best friend and his little bro are both 18X grads. Both in 3rd GRP. So it does happen.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
18X

Haha. That may be true, but my best friend and his little bro are both 18X grads. Both in 3rd GRP. So it does happen.

The general consensus is that the 18x program damaged the SF with immature and unready people.  There were some great people that came from the 18x program but many GBs disapproved of the program.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 11:17:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

How difficult are age waivers for 18x contract to get into Boot Camp for a 30 year old?  (Assuming he can smash any PST test that was given for SO)
View Quote

Enjoy your time in the 82nd.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 11:20:34 PM EDT
[#29]
What's your GT score OP?
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 11:24:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

This too. All it takes is a google search to find most of the questions anybody will have.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No kidding.  Complaining about the maximum age for BUD/S-- and that user name?

OP should be either honorably discharged or more than halfway to retirement already.

Link Posted: 9/16/2015 11:25:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

OP should be either honorably discharged or more than halfway to retirement already.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

SFAS is not BUD/S.  BUD/S is for SEALS.  SF has required up until the GWOT that applicants be older and more mature.  SEALS are more blow shit up high speed where age and maturity are not factors like SF.

BUD/S is like 26 or 28 or something like that.  I was navy and can't remember exactly.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 1:44:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Also, you should go ask this question at professionalsoldiers.com

View Quote

This.  Use your username from here, they'll love it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 1:50:16 AM EDT
[#33]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
18X

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lfrk6xfZv31qc9mxo.jpg

Yup
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 1:52:37 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 1:56:52 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Yup
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
18X

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lfrk6xfZv31qc9mxo.jpg

Yup

I LOLed way too hard at that
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 2:11:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Wow, it use to be that you had to make your E-4 before you got an invitation to "Q". I remember getting the letter when I made E-4. Didn't realize there was a direct pipeline now, but I have been out a while.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 2:38:39 AM EDT
[#37]
Is the name NeptuneSpear prior to enlisting a lot like getting the USMC tattoo before going to boot camp?

I hope you get everything you're after; but don't get too focused on only SF or bust as there's a line between wanting to be better and then there's just being seen as a selfish arrogant ass.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 3:32:05 AM EDT
[#38]
Just make you get a long tab, trident, and recon tattoo before you sign any papers just in case the black ops community needs to float you around to find the best place for you to drop tangoes.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 3:40:29 AM EDT
[#39]
You should probably wait until after the Blood Moon.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 4:52:59 AM EDT
[#40]
Did op change the title and his post

This thread will go places

Ibtl
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 4:58:49 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Ibtl
View Quote
I was so confused by the responses.

Link Posted: 9/17/2015 5:00:25 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Ibtl
View Quote

Was wondering how that made my active topics...

I'm honestly surprised he's lasted this long. He does entertain me, so that's good in my book.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 5:42:17 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Wow, it use to be that you had to make your E-4 before you got an invitation to "Q". I remember getting the letter when I made E-4. Didn't realize there was a direct pipeline now, but I have been out a while.
View Quote

18x contracts were available in 1983. Not really a new concept.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 5:54:56 AM EDT
[#44]
This thread is pretty amusing, keep it up, good show.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 6:01:02 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Find an Army National Guard SF Unit.  19th and 20th group.  The max age is 32 I think.  Get a rep63 contract same as 18x but for NG.  Pass SFAS and the Q course then go active.  This is your best chance.
View Quote

Find an Air National Guard that flies F-16's, F-15's, or A-10's.  Enlist through that unit.  Keep your nose clean.  Get a degree.  Go through their Officer Training School, get your butter bars, apply through that unit to Undergraduate Pilot Training...go through whatever the flight screening program is now, then go to UPT, coast through UPT because you know you will be 100% guaran-fucking-teed of getting whatever plane your ANG unit flies, (I've heard horror stories of some dudes getting picked to fly drones after UPT:  fuck that shit, give me the plane with rubber dog shit out of Hong Kong) go to fighter RTU (or whatever the fuck it is called now), and then fly whatever pointy nosed jet on the weekends.

Or go through the Army's warrant officer "high school to flight school" program (if they still have it), go to Ft. Rucker and maybe fly an Apache,  Kiowa, Blackhawk, or Chinook.

Link Posted: 9/17/2015 6:25:54 AM EDT
[#46]
He isn't going anywhere.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 6:28:27 AM EDT
[#47]
So he changed it again
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 6:31:31 AM EDT
[#48]
For a guard unit like 19th I was told you'd need to pick another mos and then go to selections. If you get through selections you'd wait for a time to start the Q course and become an 18x (candidate?).
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 6:41:44 AM EDT
[#49]
You're gonna love the 82nd.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 7:02:17 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Find an Air National Guard that flies F-16's, F-15's, or A-10's.  Enlist through that unit.  Keep your nose clean.  Get a degree.  Go through their Officer Training School, get your butter bars, apply through that unit to Undergraduate Pilot Training...go through whatever the flight screening program is now, then go to UPT, coast through UPT because you know you will be 100% guaran-fucking-teed of getting whatever plane your ANG unit flies, (I've heard horror stories of some dudes getting picked to fly drones after UPT:  fuck that shit, give me the plane with rubber dog shit out of Hong Kong) go to fighter RTU (or whatever the fuck it is called now), and then fly whatever pointy nosed jet on the weekends.

Or go through the Army's warrant officer "high school to flight school" program (if they still have it), go to Ft. Rucker and maybe fly an Apache,  Kiowa, Blackhawk, or Chinook.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It looks like the OP is 30.  I heard someone say just this weekend that the AF reserve components require that pilot training start before 30.  No idea on the Army.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top