User Panel

Page / 18
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 2:43:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 2:43:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

For the same reason SEALs go to Ranger School?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
How about the obverse? Any Rangers go to BUD/S?

Not sure why they would want to.

There are guys here who know a lot more about this stuff than I do, but from what I know Ranger school is a useful leadership training course.  BUD/S is more of a smoke fest.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 2:47:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Not any more. They don't even speak the language. The majority come in via SEAL pipeline with no time in the fleet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I heard SEALs complete Ranger school in like a weekend. Cakewalk.

Was talking about this with a SEAL buddy a few weeks back, he said "F* that noise" to going to Ranger School, said all of the SEALs he knew who had gone came back looking like death camp survivors :-)

They gotta learn how to patrol somewhere....

lol this.
I read a really interesting article about the difference between Delta and Six.
Army SF is fundamentally infantry.

SEALs are fundamentally sailors.

Not any more. They don't even speak the language. The majority come in via SEAL pipeline with no time in the fleet.

Exactly what I was gonna post. Most SEALs never serve in the fleet prior to BUD/s.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 2:49:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

lol nice
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 2:50:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 2:51:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

There are guys here who know a lot more about this stuff than I do, but from what I know Ranger school is a useful leadership training course.  BUD/S is more of a smoke fest.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't disagree with that. Just seems the consensus in this thread is that SEALs are a bunch of undisciplined, prima donnas who aren't as good as advertised.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 2:55:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 3:01:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ha. Like the one who washed out week 1 in my class?
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 3:02:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
lol  

I would think a SEAL that completed their brutal training would not wash out of Ranger school, but maybe it has happened.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
lol  

I would think a SEAL that completed their brutal training would not wash out of Ranger school, but maybe it has happened.

It did. I was there.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 3:03:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My buddy has been to BUD/s twice. Got out joined the army and gone to selection and then went to Ranger school twice.

No, for one reason or another he didn't make it through any of them but he has said the army is a joke when it comes to the PT. says he's never even come close to experiencing the beat downs he got at BUD/s.

That said, a Ranger wouldn't really learn anything at BUD/s, dive phase would be the only thing of use.

Just my 2 cents which is actually free.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 3:04:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 3:06:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 3:08:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It's not that they aren't good. It's that there is a difference in someone that was "raised" in an Army combat unit, ie Infantry and then goes to ranger school and a guy that came straight from the street or was doing some non combat job in the Navy and became a seal. One guy has years of experience under his belt, the other has BUDs and the pipeline he just completed with nothing prior that, usually. It's not saying one is better or worse, but there's definitely a difference.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't disagree with that. Just seems the consensus in this thread is that SEALs are a bunch of undisciplined, prima donnas who aren't as good as advertised.

It's not that they aren't good. It's that there is a difference in someone that was "raised" in an Army combat unit, ie Infantry and then goes to ranger school and a guy that came straight from the street or was doing some non combat job in the Navy and became a seal. One guy has years of experience under his belt, the other has BUDs and the pipeline he just completed with nothing prior that, usually. It's not saying one is better or worse, but there's definitely a difference.

It's also a role thing.  If the Ranger Regiment is generally a wrench, but SEALs are generally a scapel... Well- since when does a SEAL unit take large objectives? (Or operate as a "unit?")  You'd send the Regiment to do that.  If you want a High Value Target, you wouldn't send a Ranger Platoon, you'd send a SEAL Team.

I could definitely see why SEALs wouldn't be the rock stars of Ranger School, but heck- just because a SEAL couldn't ace an EOD school doesn't mean he's a wuss.  Or less "elite" at what he does.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 3:08:42 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Some people take pleasure in punishment.

Link Posted: 7/18/2015 3:18:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Interesting, I would think guys that survive this would think land based drills are cake

Link Posted: 7/18/2015 3:19:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh it's just started...
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 3:19:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

This perception is because of the SEAL advertising, which is opposite of the truth.

Any professional attendance of a school or training opportunity outside of the SEAL community is a huge opportunity to better themselves by people who have a lot of institutional knowledge that SEALs don't.

In the baseball analogy, they're not even minor league level in many critical skills areas, but get advertised as finalists for the major league play-offs, and sent to those games even.

You would be really disappointed if you had the context from which to see this, as I was.

After 9/11, the SEALs got even more money, and pulled a lot of the schools they used to attend with other services in house, as did the Air Force Special Operations community.  This was primarily noted with regard to the Joint Special Operations Medical Training Center (commonly known as the 18D course or Special Forces Medical Sergeant's Course and Special Operations Combat Medic Course).

SEAL Corpsman and USAF Pararescue candidates used to attend this course, but internalized their medical training in the 2000's.  The SEALs were known for getting written test answers from the SEAL instructors, and relying on SEAL instructors for the weekly hands-on portions of the testing.  They basically were "taking care of their own" on the front end, while screwing the Teams on the back end with guys who weren't proven.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Its not seen as a tremendous honor for SEALs to go to Ranger school.  I wouldn't go as far to call it punishment, but if you're jacked up and not getting it, being sent to Ranger school can be viewed as a wake up call.  Same if you piss off your chiefs or LTs.

I have never served, so flame suit on, but to me on the outside, it seems Ranger School to a SEAL is like a major league baseball player getting sent down to the AAA farm team to work on his batting.  

Not really. The army just has a tremendous budget and facilities for training that other branches don't.

This perception is because of the SEAL advertising, which is opposite of the truth.

Any professional attendance of a school or training opportunity outside of the SEAL community is a huge opportunity to better themselves by people who have a lot of institutional knowledge that SEALs don't.

In the baseball analogy, they're not even minor league level in many critical skills areas, but get advertised as finalists for the major league play-offs, and sent to those games even.

You would be really disappointed if you had the context from which to see this, as I was.

After 9/11, the SEALs got even more money, and pulled a lot of the schools they used to attend with other services in house, as did the Air Force Special Operations community.  This was primarily noted with regard to the Joint Special Operations Medical Training Center (commonly known as the 18D course or Special Forces Medical Sergeant's Course and Special Operations Combat Medic Course).

SEAL Corpsman and USAF Pararescue candidates used to attend this course, but internalized their medical training in the 2000's.  The SEALs were known for getting written test answers from the SEAL instructors, and relying on SEAL instructors for the weekly hands-on portions of the testing.  They basically were "taking care of their own" on the front end, while screwing the Teams on the back end with guys who weren't proven.

I might be thinking of the wrong person, but didn't you once say the guys in Group called them fish out of water?
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 3:21:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 3:23:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Interesting, I would think guys that survive this would think land based drills are cake

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HqwzPsw5O4

View Quote

Meh.

Shark week was the same shit at SCUBA school.  As long as you have a 90 second breath hold, its pretty easy.

worst part is the chlorine burn and being hypothermic all the time.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 3:45:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 3:45:55 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Meh.

Shark week was the same shit at SCUBA school.  As long as you have a 90 second breath hold, its pretty easy.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Meh.

lol

Link Posted: 7/18/2015 3:56:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

SEALS get to CLEP RANGER SCHOOL...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I had some who went to school with me. Out of about 5 or 6 seals they all graduated but 1.

It's been a while... but if I remember right, they mentioned sewing the tab on the bill of their cover.... maybe.

You can see 2 of them on my right hand side....

http://i947.photobucket.com/albums/ad314/Lungbuster_photos/ddddeee_zpsuddngbum.jpg
Injury?  

I don't remember... I want to say he effed his knee up somehow.

Fuck, I'm getting old.

I feel your pain.  Take a knee.

SEALS get to CLEP RANGER SCHOOL...

I took the Long Range Surveillance Leaders Course by correspondence course.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 3:59:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

They get a tab, but it is not authorized for wear on their uniform.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do they get a Ranger tab?  Never seen that on a sailor uniform, but I know many team guys go through Ranger school

They get a tab, but it is not authorized for wear on their uniform.

This.  Same with Marines.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 4:01:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I had some who went to school with me. Out of about 5 or 6 seals they all graduated but 1.

It's been a while... but if I remember right, they mentioned sewing the tab on the bill of their cover.... maybe.

You can see 2 of them on my right hand side....

<a href="http://s947.photobucket.com/user/Lungbuster_photos/media/ddddeee_zpsuddngbum.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i947.photobucket.com/albums/ad314/Lungbuster_photos/ddddeee_zpsuddngbum.jpg</a>
View Quote

Let's see the graduation pic!
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 4:01:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

It depends on what his MOS was and the unit he was in. It varies and I can guarantee you that PT is a joke in a bunch, if not most Navy units outside of the SEALS. That's not really a fair or good comparison from your buddy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My buddy has been to BUD/s twice. Got out joined the army and gone to selection and then went to Ranger school twice.

No, for one reason or another he didn't make it through any of them but he has said the army is a joke when it comes to the PT. says he's never even come close to experiencing the beat downs he got at BUD/s.

That said, a Ranger wouldn't really learn anything at BUD/s, dive phase would be the only thing of use.

Just my 2 cents which is actually free.

It depends on what his MOS was and the unit he was in. It varies and I can guarantee you that PT is a joke in a bunch, if not most Navy units outside of the SEALS. That's not really a fair or good comparison from your buddy.

The comparison was directly between Ranger school, SF selection and BUD/s.

He went part way through hell week at BUD/s and did indoc the second time around and just wanted out of the navy at that point. In the Army he went the two weeks of selection for SF and was Dropped, wasn't told why but knew it wasn't physical standards. Then Ranger school he was med dropped the first time going into patrols and then the second time was dropped in patrols. Sounded like he got screwed their. He did everything they told the guy before him to do. Other guy passed, he got dropped. Don't know much else about that.

But through all those schools, nothing came close to BUD/s.

He is a tanker but recently filled an infantry slot and trained with SEALs. The SEALs showed them one of their IAD's. Then the Army guys started talking shit amongst themselves about the SEALs drill being pussy... Funny part is my pal called out all these strick army guys when they in fact had the exact same drills...  

Sometimes the difference is the amount of hairgel in place...

Again though, these are his experiences as relayed to me.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 4:13:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Rangers and SEALs spent a lot of time working together in Iraq. Friend of mine from 2/75 complained that hey had no basic infantry skills.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 4:18:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's not really a matter of if they think land based stuff is difficult or not, they just don't have much of a foundation for that kind of work.  Where the huge majority of Ranger students are (or at one point) were infantryman... so they are just doing what they have always done just in a more extreme environment.  While the SEALs are coming in and doing the infantry work that isn't something they do regularly, and are expected to do it in the same extreme environment as all the experienced grunts in the class.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 4:22:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Rangers that need to swim go to the Combat Diver Qualification Course in Key West.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 4:37:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think the point everyone's making is that they aren't as trained in land drills. A world class pianist isn't going to hop on a guitar and sound like Jimi Hendrix because he can play the piano well.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 4:39:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Rangers and SEALs spent a lot of time working together in Iraq. Friend of mine from 2/75 complained that hey had no basic infantry skills.
View Quote

IIRC, Cincinnatus made a similar observation while there.

Link Posted: 7/18/2015 4:39:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 4:39:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Was that what it was like when you were a SEAL?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Its not seen as a tremendous honor for SEALs to go to Ranger school.  I wouldn't go as far to call it punishment, but if you're jacked up and not getting it, being sent to Ranger school can be viewed as a wake up call.  Same if you piss off your chiefs or LTs.

Was that what it was like when you were a SEAL?

I laffed
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 4:42:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 5:11:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Was talking about this with a SEAL buddy a few weeks back, he said "F* that noise" to going to Ranger School, said all of the SEALs he knew who had gone came back looking like death camp survivors :-)  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That hellish weekend........

without hair gel.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 5:26:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Yeah, no doubt SEALS get extra special loving during the course.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bet Ranger School officers give hell to non Army types. My friend was built/fit and at CHP training the instructors gave him hell more than the rest of the class.
Yeah, no doubt SEALS get extra special loving during the course.  

Makes me wonder about the AF guys I knew who went through Ranger school.  I had a kid that worked for me who was selected for Para Rescue that wheedled his way into the AF SP pre-Ranger school course at Seymour Johnson back in the early 1980s.  They liked him so much they got him a slot at Ranger school, but I transferred to CA before his class date.

Never heard how things turned out, but I imagine if he made it through Ranger school before going to AF Para Rescue school, he would have had a helluva advantage at school.  But a Para Rescue student with a Ranger tab would have gotten some really special lovin' from the AF instructors, too.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 5:28:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Why would they? They aren't infantry.

Troop core skills consist of: Sniper, Breacher, Communicator, Maritime/Engineering, Close Air Support, Corpsman, Point-man/Navigator, Primary Driver/Navigator (Rural/Urban/Protective Security), Heavy Weapons Operator, Sensitive Site Exploitation, Air Operations Master, Lead Climber, Lead Diver/Navigator, Interrogator, Explosive Ordnance Disposal, Technical Surveillance, and Advanced Special Operations.

Link Posted: 7/18/2015 5:30:07 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Troop core skills consist of: Sniper, Breacher, Communicator, Maritime/Engineering, Close Air Support, Corpsman, Point-man/Navigator, Primary Driver/Navigator (Rural/Urban/Protective Security), Heavy Weapons Operator, Sensitive Site Exploitation, Air Operations Master, Lead Climber, Lead Diver/Navigator, Interrogator, Explosive Ordnance Disposal, Technical Surveillance, and Advanced Special Operations.

Yeah, that is like bitching Rangers have no scuba skills.

I guess though with the current wars going on, SEALS spend way more time on land than sea.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 5:35:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

The hardest part is having to do without gel for that entire weekend.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 5:35:51 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If you are operating on land, then the principles of patrolling apply.  Unless you drop directly on your target, you still have to move to it, get in it and

get out.  Procedures may be different, but 8-10 men moving on foot are pretty much the same no matter what.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 5:36:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
i do know that Recon Marines do the same thing.  They 'wear' it in a way that it cant be seen.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If they are so inclined, I have observed the tab concealed under the BDU/uniform shirt flap.  I am not a Navy guy, and this is anecdotal.  SEALS and Rangers have been learning to coexist and speak each others...language...since at least GW1.

ETA-You may want to ask someone who is a little more current/recent, we have at least one well established member that recently retired...was a senior NCO and I believe a RI.
i do know that Recon Marines do the same thing.  They 'wear' it in a way that it cant be seen.

Guys in my unit who went would normally sew it inside of their cover, or just keep a tab in their wallet.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 5:36:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I have never served, so flame suit on, but to me on the outside, it seems Ranger School to a SEAL is like a major league baseball player getting sent down to the AAA farm team to work on his batting.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 5:37:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

i actually know of one person that did this.  enlisted army, was a ranger.  some how or another he ended up in the navy and became a seal.  got out became a fireman then cpt/commander or something.  he was doing onsite safety/high angle rescue when i met him.  haven't heard from him in a few years, but he was a genuinely good guy and always had his shit together.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 5:41:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They aren't infantry, but anyone who is going to be walking long distances to their objective, should have basic infantry skills.  All the cool guy skills won't mean much when things go to shit because you get ambushed on the way there and haven't spent any time training on how to effectively react to an ambush.

I'm pretty sure that is why they started having Rangers roll with SEALs.  The SEALs did the cool guy operator stuff, while the Rangers were there to handle everything else that came up.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 5:43:27 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
They aren't infantry, but anyone who is going to be walking long distances to their objective, should have basic infantry skills.  All the cool guy skills won't mean much when things go to shit because you get ambushed on the way there and haven't spent any time training on how to effectively react to an ambush.

I'm pretty sure that is why they started having Rangers roll with SEALs.  The SEALs did the cool guy operator stuff, while the Rangers were there to handle everything else that came up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds good to me.

Let the operators operate, and the Rangers deal with the logistics shit.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 5:43:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Seen tabs inside of plate carriers or velcroed places.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 5:47:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I guess though with the current wars going on, SEALS spend way more time on land than sea.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't think I was bitching about it. And as another poster pointed out, Rangers do go to Combat Swimmer School.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 5:47:30 PM EDT
[#47]
This thread is going to be hilarious.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 5:49:18 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Sounds good to me.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds good to me.  

Better to just have Delta.

Guys who can do all the hooah, high speed raid shit, AND react to ambush and Infantry shit.

Link Posted: 7/18/2015 5:54:22 PM EDT
[#49]

Originally Posted By ArmyInfantryVet

Guys who can do all the hooah, high speed raid shit, AND react to ambush and Infantry shit.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ArmyInfantryVet

Sounds good to me.  

Isn't Delta even more specialized than the SEALS, and drawn from SEALS and other ranks?

Link Posted: 7/18/2015 5:54:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Do they get a Ranger tab?  Never seen that on a sailor uniform, but I know many team guys go through Ranger school
View Quote

I never saw a Seal at Norfolk or Little Creek wearing one.

We talked about this last week at work.  I work with a retired Marine (force recon) that went to Ranger school with a Seal.  He said the school kicked everyone's ass who was there, including his and other FORECON guys, yet the Seal was stone faced the entire time.  Nothing fazed him, nothing bothered him, nothing even seemed to tax him.

Force recon Marines are no fucking joke, and he said that Seal was absolutely unbreakable.  Nice knowing those guys are on our team.

EDIT:  No one can go to BUD/S except those in the US Navy.  Period, end of story.  If you say otherwise you're misinformed and you don't care about getting the truth.  

"Do I have to be in the Navy to be eligible for Navy SEAL training?

Yes. To become a SEAL, you must join the U.S. Navy or already be serving in the Navy."

Straight from SOCOM, and it's also on the Navy website.

Why the myth that Marines and Army Rangers go to (and let alone pass) BUD/S and an Internet mystery.  Google is your friend.
Page / 18
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top