Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/30/2015 9:46:40 PM EDT

1960An American U-2 spy plane is shot down while conducting espionage over the Soviet Union. The incident derailed an important summit meeting between President Dwight D. Eisenhower and Soviet leader Nikita Khrushchev that was scheduled for later that month. The U-2 spy plane was the brainchild of the Central Intelligence Agency, and it was a sophisticated technological marvel. Traveling at altitudes of up to 70,000 feet, the aircraft was equipped with state-of-the-art photography equipment that could, the CIA boasted, take high-resolution pictures of headlines in Russian newspapers as it flew overhead. Flights over the Soviet Union began in mid-1956. The CIA assured President Eisenhower that the Soviets did not possess anti-aircraft weapons sophisticated enough to shoot down the high-altitude planes. On May 1, 1960, a U-2 flight piloted by Francis Gary Powers disappeared while on a flight over Russia. The CIA reassured the president that, even if the plane had been shot down, it was equipped with self-destruct mechanisms that would render any wreckage unrecognizable and the pilot was instructed to kill himself in such a situation. Based on this information, the U.S. government issued a cover statement indicating that a weather plane had veered off course and supposedly crashed somewhere in the Soviet Union. With no small degree of pleasure, Khrushchev pulled off one of the most dramatic moments of the Cold War by producing not only the mostly-intact wreckage of the U-2, but also the captured pilot-very much alive. A chagrined Eisenhower had to publicly admit that it was indeed a U.S. spy plane. On May 16, a major summit between the United States, the Soviet Union, Great Britain, and France began in Paris. Issues to be discussed included the status of Berlin and nuclear arms control. As the meeting opened, Khrushchev launched into a tirade against the United States and Eisenhower and then stormed out of the summit. The meeting collapsed immediately and the summit was called off. Eisenhower considered the "stupid U-2 mess” one of the worst debacles of his presidency. The pilot, Francis Gary Powers, was released in 1962 in exchange for a captured Soviet spy.

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 9:56:32 PM EDT
[#1]
the pilot was instructed to kill himself in such a situation
View Quote

FGP: "I respectfully decline"

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:09:35 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

the pilot was instructed to kill himself in such a situation

I concur!

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:31:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I have touched that plane personally.  It was pretty cool to finally see it, after it being an important part of my upbringing when it came to historical events.

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:32:17 PM EDT
[#4]
His pistol:

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:35:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Lee Harvey Oswalds first successful strike against evil capitalist America.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 6:44:38 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I have touched that plane personally.  It was pretty cool to finally see it, after it being an important part of my upbringing when it came to historical events.

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j422/LRRPF52/Jan-Feb2009009.jpg
View Quote
is that you trying to win a ugly sweater contest?

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 6:47:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's the hamburglar.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 6:54:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 10:46:37 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
It's the hamburglar.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's the hamburglar.

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 11:27:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Before my time. Was there any investigation details released into why the plane did not self destruct and why powers didn't eat his gun.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 11:39:49 PM EDT
[#11]

CIA issue HDMS .22 caliber pistol.

The CIA had their order parkerized, the OSS had theirs blued.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 12:29:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Before my time. Was there any investigation details released into why the plane did not self destruct and why powers didn't eat his gun.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Because Powers was never instructed to kill himself and the self destruct was poor design.

Plenty of flawed assumptions went into the mission planning, but the juice was worth the squeeze.

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:19:59 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

What's with the cheesy LED string lights?
View Quote
cinco de mayo!

Top Top