Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/24/2015 9:55:05 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 9:59:29 AM EDT
[#1]
When I was there I go scolded for taking a pick in the oval office. How'd you get away with it? Connections?

I went on Mother's Day and they were setting up for their annual Mother's Day Breakfast. Tables and moms everywhere. Looked like quite a big deal.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 10:07:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Great pictures........thanks for posting.

Damn, I miss Reagan.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 10:10:10 AM EDT
[#3]
cool
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 10:11:00 AM EDT
[#4]
80's kid here as well, was honored to have Reagan as my first Commander in Chief.

Thanks for the pics OP, awesome!!
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 10:12:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When I was there I go scolded for taking a pick in the oval office. How'd you get away with it? Connections?

I went on Mother's Day and they were setting up for their annual Mother's Day Breakfast. Tables and moms everywhere. Looked like quite a big deal.
View Quote

He just flashed his arfcom site staff badge and they let him do everything he wanted.

Cool pics OP.  I almost had the opportunity to see him speak when I was a wee lad, but my dad and I could not get through the massive crowd.  

I did see a Marine One do a low flyby my house however.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 10:14:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Great pictures Bama! Thanks for sharing. I had no idea the library was so big. Very cool.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 1:21:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Joined the Army in 82, all everyone could talk about was how much better morale was than under Carter.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 1:26:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 1:32:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Great post as usuall OP!   2 things:

1)  They still fly helicopters like that over DC every day.  Its important to keep our president (any of our presidents whether you voted for them or not! ) safe, and one never knows if the copters are empty or occupied.  

2) When they were toddlers, I taught my kids to answer:  "Ronald Reagan!" when I ask them "Who was the greatest American President?"  
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 2:17:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 2:26:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I visited the library in 2013.  I too was yelled at for taking pics inside the plane I didn't see a sign.  My flash went off and a volunteer in some hidden part of the plane jumped out and said "NO PHOTOGRAPHY ALLOWED!"

I wept silently at President Reagan's grave thinking how shitty things have become with our Bike-Rider-In-Chief
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 2:35:53 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't recall the helos being open last time I was there
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 2:39:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Great pics!
Thanks, can't see ever getting out there.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 2:44:54 PM EDT
[#14]
My former house and part of the trust are just to the right of the flower on the Berlin Wall piece. During his funeral, The 747 flew over the house very low during its fly by. His tomb faces directly out over our land. On a very nice day you can see the Pacific and the Channel Islands from there. That's why he picked it.

Also, it looks like they finally painted the helicopter. It didn't arrive with the white roof. Looks much nicer now.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 2:46:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for sharing...
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 2:53:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 3:03:31 PM EDT
[#17]
I would very much like to go there, unfortunately it is in California and thus behind enemy lines.

I know WHY it was built in California, it was kindof the obvious place for it, but I really wish for the sake of freedom it was built somewhere else, like across the California/US border in Nevada.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 3:19:14 PM EDT
[#18]
thank you for posting pictures.

it looks like it was pretty empty there.

how was the freeway  traffic?

the plane was a lot smaller inside, than I thougth it was before I went through it. I like how they have it set up, so it is overlooking the simi valley.

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 3:24:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Fantastic.

Too bad it is in California.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 3:26:04 PM EDT
[#20]
whoa, didn't know they had all that stuff

used to live down the 118 from Simi Valley
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 3:54:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 4:00:21 PM EDT
[#22]
I love his epitaph:

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 4:01:27 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

So are those presidential libraries really mainly museums? I always wondered what their purpose was.
View Quote
They store documents the administration generated for historians' use in their research.

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 4:05:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Great pics. Been there twice. Looking forward to making it three.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 4:05:33 PM EDT
[#25]
I've been twice.... Just feel pride and love of America there.

The last time I was there I entered the gift shop and bought some souveneirs for the wife and kids.  At the checkout counter this cute little young girl was checking my order out.   Asked her if they ship.  She said yes.  So I grabbed a copy of the U.S. Constitution and asked her to ship it to 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue in DC.  It took her a second to figure the joke out, it wasn't long after the jug eared Kenyan was elected.

If you go to the tomb and listen closely to Reagan spinning in it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 4:10:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
They store documents the administration generated for historians' use in their research.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So are those presidential libraries really mainly museums? I always wondered what their purpose was.

I was gonna say, where the hell are all the books?
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 4:10:31 PM EDT
[#27]
That's really neat.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 4:14:58 PM EDT
[#28]
What's the story on the helicopters and the 747?

Did the family buy them?

Is that even possible? Government property and all.

I can't own a red dot that the military had...
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 4:15:48 PM EDT
[#29]
How did you get away with pics inside AF1?

They said no pics when I was in it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 4:16:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Thank You for posting.

I would encourage any political / history buff, as well as anyone coming of age in the 80's to read The Reagan Diaries by Doug Brinkley.

Truly fascinating.......

The Gipper did more "work" in a week than the fucking kenyan does in 6 months.

He was my Commander in Chief as well. (Kinda still is )
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 4:19:52 PM EDT
[#31]
It has been a few years since I have been there.
Dang shame because it is about a 30-45 minute drive from my house.

Glad you enjoyed it Bama.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 4:20:37 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

What's the story on the helicopters and the 747?

View Quote
It's a 707.  

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 4:23:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I had my phone on silent but no one stopped me. I just did it.

I was kind of shocked on Air Force 1 I don't recall seeing a sign and no one told me I couldn't till the end of the plane.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had my phone on silent but no one stopped me. I just did it.

I was kind of shocked on Air Force 1 I don't recall seeing a sign and no one told me I couldn't till the end of the plane.

Yeah why so secretive about it?
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 4:24:47 PM EDT
[#34]
neat...

thanks for sharing
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 4:27:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

The last time I was there I entered the gift shop and bought some souveneirs for the wife and kids.  At the checkout counter this cute little young girl was checking my order out.   Asked her if they ship.  She said yes.  So I grabbed a copy of the U.S. Constitution and asked her to ship it to 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue in DC.  It took her a second to figure the joke out, it wasn't long after the jug eared Kenyan was elected.

View Quote

Reagan's laid to rest there?

is that common for Presidential Libraries?
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 4:36:38 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

80's kid here as well, was honored to have Reagan as my first Commander in Chief.
Thanks for the pics OP, awesome!!
View Quote

I've said it before but he changed my 10 year old world, even though I was across the Atlantic, 3000 miles away.  The thing that amazed me the most was that we went from being spat on (if we used English in public) to people coming up and using English to speak to us!
It let me know how much one man can change the world!!! Unfortunately, we are now understanding the reverse, how much a weakling can change the world!!
I would love to visit his library but I'm not willing to go to Commieland to do it!  
Bama, thanks for sharing!

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 4:37:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

So you can check out books. They have a Dewey decimal system too.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 4:57:48 PM EDT
[#38]

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:14:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Joined the Army in 82, all everyone could talk about was how much better morale was than under Carter.
View Quote

The Navy was the same. I enlisted under Carter. It was one hellofa change when the gipper took over.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 6:23:13 PM EDT
[#40]
I was first there with Reagan's funeral all the way back in 2004.

Have been there 4 times since with my high school students on a field trip.

Great place! So many polite and civil people.

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 6:31:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Awesome pics. That's much more impressive than Clinton's, as it should be.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 6:38:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

With the last few.  Most of the Libraries are combined Archives and Museums.  The Museum portion displaying suitable ephemera from the Archives.

If the library is located at a suitable site, then the President may be buried there.  The Nixon Library is at the location of the house he was born in and he's buried there. Many presidential libraries were put together after the President had already been buried elsewhere.  JFK for example is buried at Arlington but the Library is in Boston.  Lincoln, the library is near the original State Capital and his law offices, but he is buried a few miles north of there in the large cemetery.

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 6:43:52 PM EDT
[#43]

God, it is a terrible terrible thing that we failed to do this.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 6:47:55 PM EDT
[#44]
"Trust, But Verify" ~ President Ronald Reagan

- Clint
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 9:20:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Wat?

No picture of the "Local Democrats Live Here" warning sign?

I am disappoint.

Gunz. Cause S&W.

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 9:38:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 10:13:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 10:15:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 10:15:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 10:23:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Command presence.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How did you get away with pics inside AF1?

They said no pics when I was in it.

Command presence.

Yeah well you also got to go into Marine 1....neither time did I.  Was shocked at how small it was in person.

It is a great museum, beautiful surroundings also.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top