Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/22/2015 12:51:24 PM EDT

A fast food restaurant is robbed and the shift manager says she got fired for refusing to pay the money back.
"I told them I'm not paying nothing," said Marissa Holcomb. "I just had a gun to me. I'm not paying the money."

The
heist happened on March 31st at the Popeyes restaurant in the 500 block
of Sheldon Road in Channelview and was captured on surveillance video.

A man with a beanie over his face ran in the store, waving a gun. He forced all the employees to the floor.

Marissa claimed that after the robbery, one of her managers gave her a choice to either pay the money back or get fired.

"I don't think it's right because now I'm struggling for my family because what I had to do to keep my life"

Less than 36 hours after the robbery, Marissa was fired.

The
Popeyes franchise owner, Z&H Foods Inc., wouldn't talk to us on
camera. However, a spokesperson in their human resources department
explained that Marissa was fired because she broke policy by leaving too
much money in the register and this wasn't her first offense.

That spokesperson also claimed that if Marissa was given the option to pay money back, the company knew nothing about it.

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/22/2015 12:54:27 PM EDT
[#1]

The Popeyes franchise owner, Z&H Foods Inc., wouldn't talk to us on camera. However, a spokesperson in their human resources department explained that Marissa was fired because she broke policy by leaving too much money in the register and this wasn't her first offense.

Marissa argued that it was a busy Tuesday when they offer a 2-piece chicken meal for $1.19 and she moved money as fast as she could.

"They got what they got because that's what we made within one hour," she said

We've also learned that Z&H Foods Inc. isn't the only company with this type of policy. Some other fast food joints have rules about how much money is in the till and how much an employee is liable for.

That's little comfort for Marissa who is not only unemployed but pregnant with her fourth child.

Link Posted: 4/22/2015 12:55:27 PM EDT
[#2]
They really care about their employees.. Great management.  Although she didn't follow the drop procedure, i really can't see how they can legally enforce her to reimburse them.
Any cash handling job i have ever had, always had a cash drop policy.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 12:58:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I thought it wasn't legal to make employees pay back a loss.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 12:58:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Kudos to the robbers for picking a choice time to rob the place. Put a bullet in their head after paying them the compliment.

Regarding the policy, I've never worked fast food and a policy like that may not have been achievable on that particular day.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 12:59:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They really care about their employees.. Great management.  Although she didn't follow the drop procedure, i really can't see how they can legally enforce her to reimburse them.
Any cash handling job i have ever had, always had a cash drop policy.
View Quote

Assuming they actually made the offer to her to pay it back or be fired, it wasn't a request involving legal sanction, just employment.  i.e.:  "Pay us the extra money you left in the till, or you're fired," which is not a legal sanction, versus "pay us the extra money, or you'll go to jail," which would be (and which they of course could not legally do.)
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 1:01:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Not following corporate policy is a perfectly valid reason to fire a manager.

Doing it immediately after they've been the victim of a crime is ultra-bad PR.

That could have been handled a lot better.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 1:01:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

She violated company policy, causing a financial loss to the company in excess of what it would have been had she followed policy.  They didn't say "pay up or go to jail," they said (allegedly) "we are going to fire you for this repeat offense, unless you pay us the money you caused to be lost."
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 1:02:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 1:02:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
[span]
That's little comfort for Marissa who is not only unemployed but pregnant with her fourth child.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/22/2015 1:02:42 PM EDT
[#10]
My sister worked part time at a gas station.  The owner wanted the employees to pay for the drive-offs.  
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 1:03:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

I believe the post office does. I have had the clerks tell me they have to pay if the till is off or they can't account for all the stamps.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 1:04:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Every single retail place I've ever worked had a policy for the max amount in the register.  Multiple offenses,  yep,  fire her.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 1:05:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Two piece chicken meal for 1.19? Wish they had that here.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 1:06:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
My sister worked part time at a gas station.  The owner wanted the employees to pay for the drive-offs.  
View Quote

Why is that surprising, especially in this day and age?  Don't want to pay for drive offs?  Don't turn the pump on unless someone has paid.  (And stop letting your friends get free gas and calling the police to report a "drive off."  Though it can be hilarious when the gas station has good video that is kept for a while---it can be amusing to confront a poor innocent attendant with video evidence that they are buddies with the folks who drive off repeatedly.)
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 1:06:59 PM EDT
[#15]
THREE POSSIBLE SCENARIOS:

1) she knew the perps and this was an inside job.

2) she is completely full of shit and this is not what happened but she is trying to make waves to cover what actually happened

3) she is telling the truth and Popeyes just F'd up royally.

I lean towards 1 or 2.

Link Posted: 4/22/2015 1:10:05 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View Quote

That was my thought too.

Yeah she fucked up and it looks there's enough cause there to fire her, but damn.  The PR blowback is gonna suck.

Link Posted: 4/22/2015 1:12:02 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

2) she is completely full of shit and this is not what happened but she is trying to make waves to cover what actually happened

I lean towards 1 or 2.

View Quote

#1 Thought of that too.    I wonder if she's been robbed before?

#2 There's video.

Link Posted: 4/22/2015 1:16:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Bad PR?

It's Popeyes.

Their $1.19 two piece chicken dinner will be a winner over some FSA baby factory whining she just lost her beer/cigarette ticket.

Link Posted: 4/22/2015 1:18:28 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Bad PR?

It's Popeyes.

Their $1.19 two piece chicken dinner will be a winner over some FSA baby factory whining she just lost her beer/cigarette ticket.

View Quote

If Chick-fil a = Hate Chicken does Popeyes = Love Chicken?

Link Posted: 4/22/2015 1:18:50 PM EDT
[#20]
I wonder what her husband does.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 1:19:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

That was my thought too.

Yeah she fucked up and it looks there's enough cause there to fire her, but damn.  The PR blowback is gonna suck.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was my thought too.

It won't be remembered after today, hell the 4 times pregnant chick probably won't remember the details next week.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 1:19:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Work on his sperm count.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 1:24:41 PM EDT
[#23]
ACLU   going to have a field day
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 1:24:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 1:34:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I lean towards 1 or 2.

View Quote

First thing I thought of.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 1:37:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I lean towards 1 or 2.

View Quote

No, it just that she fucked up by not following store policy on cash limits in the register.  This is very common, and managers and assistant managers are required to move excess money from the registers to a time-lock safe.  It's actually for their safety as a deterrent against being robbed.

A previous post above has it right....  good firing but bad timing.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 1:45:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's not a big surprise. The gas station attendant is poorly paid and the only benefit is the gas. Fill your tank - somebody took off. Let your buddy fill his tank - he took off.

ETA - the cash drop policy is not just to protect the money. The thinking is that if everyone knows there's only a hundred bucks in the drawer, the store is a less attractive target for a robbery. If the store was as busy as she described, management should work with the cashiers to secure the money.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 1:48:14 PM EDT
[#28]
I think most people would be fired if they broke corporate policy that results in the loss of asset.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 2:04:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Worked a couple gas stations, c-stores back in the day. Policy on cash drops were usually pretty simple to follow, but sometimes you'd have that really busy hour and the bills would accumulate before you could get to them.  

One place insisted on a drop every 20 minutes and/or every $50 which was a bit unrealistic.  

Another place I was slammed and eventually dropped about $1200 in one envelope.  That was a mom and pop and their safe didn't even work, so the whole drop thing was pointless anyway.

In the several years I worked various shops, I was never robbed.  Had plenty of co-workers get held up though. Most of them were eventually arrested.   Cops and owners here told me they figure 90% of all the c-store and gas station robberies are inside jobs, or at least have some form of inside connection.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 2:10:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/22/2015 2:28:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Two piece chicken meal for 1.19? Wish they had that here.
View Quote

It's not really chicken...

j/k
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 2:32:26 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

If she can't follow procedure--and has been warned in the past--they are better off without her.  Of COURSE she "didn't do nuffin" and has gone public.  Anyone know what the GoFundMe is up to?  
View Quote
lol

I love you man.

Link Posted: 4/22/2015 2:34:34 PM EDT
[#33]
4th kid , no dad I bet , not here first poor decision I bet
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 2:48:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
She violated company policy, causing a financial loss to the company in excess of what it would have been had she followed policy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
She violated company policy, causing a financial loss to the company in excess of what it would have been had she followed policy.

I have no problem with what they did, especially since this wasn't the first time she did it.

Quoted:

Armed robberies?
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 7:47:18 PM EDT
[#35]
The news story I saw said that the family was now going to have to rely on the husband's income alone, and it was a hardship.

So it sounds like there's a husband/father for her unborn child.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 7:52:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Robs fast food joints.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 8:04:37 PM EDT
[#37]
The cameras will back her up if the lines were out the door, if there was a lot of slack time in the tape she is responsible.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 8:17:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
It's not really chicken...
View Quote

chicken of the cave!
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 8:21:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Kudos to the robbers for picking a choice time to rob the place. Put a bullet in their head after paying them the compliment.

Regarding the policy, I've never worked fast food and a policy like that may not have been achievable on that particular day.
View Quote

They were probably tipped off.
I figure the company fired the girl because she was making sure the robbers got a lot of cash.
It would not surprise me if the robber was her baby daddy.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 8:23:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Husband?
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 9:11:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 9:20:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The cameras will back her up if the lines were out the door, if there was a lot of slack time in the tape she is responsible.
View Quote

She's responsible anyway. Drops take seconds and she knew damn well that you stop taking orders for a second to do them when it's called for.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 9:33:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Banks are the same way. Not supposed to exceed $2500 or something like that. If there is more you are fired.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 10:15:39 PM EDT
[#44]
the sooner we can replace these people with kiosks and then reduce their population the better.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 10:22:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

She violated company policy, causing a financial loss to the company in excess of what it would have been had she followed policy.  They didn't say "pay up or go to jail," they said (allegedly) "we are going to fire you for this repeat offense, unless you pay us the money you caused to be lost."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They can fire her for violation of company policy on cash handling, or, if she is in an "at will" employment state, they can simply fire her without giving any reason at all.

Where they might have screwed up, depending on her state's laws, is in (allegedly) stating she was fired for refusing to pay the stolen money back, because that might be a violation of wage and hour laws, and possibly even tax laws.

Note how quickly the company's lawyer, err, "spokesperson," stepped in to deny any knowledge of the "paying the money back" request.

Link Posted: 4/22/2015 10:36:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I lean towards 1 or 2.

View Quote

4) She was a terrible employee and they were looking for an excuse, any excuse, to fire her.  She was so bad, they were willing to put up with the bad press and potential lawsuit to be rid of her.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 10:38:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Work on his sperm count.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Work on his sperm count.

Holds up Popeye's Chicken joint after getting inside information about a lot of cash in the till.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 12:39:40 AM EDT
[#48]
Lemesee....

On fourth kid...

Works at Popeye...

Was robbed and subsequently fired for failing to follow store policy for keeping too much cash in the register. That or pay it back...

Calls the news and gives sob story...

Well, what a pickle!  So if I have it straight then there is only one possible solution...

Link Posted: 4/23/2015 1:16:18 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/23/2015 1:28:42 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

she should be fired then.  ok.

please make sure you bring this very same thinking to the next no-knock-flash-bang/wrong-address-sorry thread.
please make sure you bring this very same thinking to the next black-guy-in-SUV/chinese-women-in-Tacoma-sorry thread.
please make sure you bring this very same thinking to the next legal-video-recording/take-and-stomp-your-phone-sorry thread.
etc
goose, gander, all that.   everyone should follow policy and laws -- otherwise, fired -- right?

ar-jedi

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top