Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/4/2003 5:46:09 PM EDT
A patch of hair on my head went AWOL about three weeks ago.  The resulting bald spot is oval shaped and about an one and one-half inches wide.  I finally went to the Doc today and he said that there is a chance that it is [u]Alopecia Areata[/u].  He has prescribed a cortisone ointment as a first step.  I've read about it on the 'net so I have a good idea of what this could possibly turn into but I thought I would turn to you folks as well.  Has anyone else here experienced this before and if so, what was the result?
Link Posted: 3/4/2003 5:52:24 PM EDT
[#1]
C'mon, your real name is George Costanza, right? [:)]
Link Posted: 3/4/2003 6:40:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
C'mon, your real name is George Costanza, right? [:)]
View Quote

Unfortunately, the spot isn't in the typical "balding-guy" location.  Right now, it just looks like the barber sneezed.
Link Posted: 3/4/2003 7:18:11 PM EDT
[#3]
There was a woman in my Reserve unit who was going through a rough divorce, her brother was killed in a car accident, she was going to school full-time, working part-time and trying to take care of her daughter.  She was very stoic about her situation and never complained or really talked about it much.  Her hair started coming out in clumps like you describe.  When I saw her I was a little shocked, and asked her about it.  I had heard of it, but I never knew anyone who had had the problem.  Her doctor said it was due to stress, and it may/may not grow back.  Some of her hair was growing back, when I moved away, so I am not sure if grew back completely.  If you are under a lot of stress, you may want to find an outlet for it, exercise or something.

It can also be caused by certain medications.  My mother had the problem with her blood pressure medication once.  The doctor changed the medication and the problem went away.

If you don't have much luck with the treatment, you may want to see a dermatologist.  Good Luck.
Link Posted: 3/4/2003 7:29:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I might have suggested an intradermal kenalog injection. You might try mixing a bit of clotrimazole cream in with the cortisone just in case there is any fungus present. On of the nurses I work with is getting her hair back in a bald spot, good results in a couple months.
Keep the follow up with your doc.
Best wishes
Lebrew.
Link Posted: 3/4/2003 7:37:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I might have suggested an intradermal kenalog injection. You might try mixing a bit of clotrimazole cream in with the cortisone just in case there is any fungus present.
View Quote

intradermal kenalog injection?

clotrimazole cream?

Whazzat?
Link Posted: 3/5/2003 6:35:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Bump.
Link Posted: 3/5/2003 6:51:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
intradermal kenalog injection?

Whazzat?
View Quote

Pretty sure Kenalog is an anabolic steroid. I get it twice a year for allergies.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 3:23:18 PM EDT
[#8]
[red][size=4]UPDATE!!![/red][/size=4]

My bald spot is filling back in.[headbang]

Thanks.  I knew you would care.[;)]

You can now go back to your regular schedule activites.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top