Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/2/2015 10:48:53 AM EDT
I had another member email me and ask what I thought about the JD 1025r I owned.  I thought rather than replying directly to him, i'd just start a thread and share some pictures and my experience with the tractor and then send him a link to this thread.  So now that we've owned this SCUT (sub compact utility tractor) for a little under a year and I have 3 seasons and 41 hours under her belt I have a pretty good feel for the tractor.  

Mowing

This is the primary job of the 1025r during spring, summer, and fall.  I use it to mow around 3 acres of property that is somewhat hilly.  I'm running the 60d Autoconnect Mid Mount Mower (MMM).  To mount up up the mower takes less than a minute normally.  You drive over the mower with your height selector knob on the left hand side of the tractor in the install position and the hydraulic lever on the right in the full down position.  Once you're over the mower you drive forward until you hear a positive click, pull back on the lever on the right and then put your casters, and height selector knob back in their selected locations. To remove the mower, you reverse the steps.  The only additional step is that there is a bar on the back side of where the MMM attaches that has to be flipped down. Again, only takes a minute or two to remove.  

The tractor does a great job of mowing with minimal scalping considering how unlevel our yard is in places.  It also makes relatively quick and painless work of mowing compared to the Troybilt Horse XP 46" that it replaced.  The steering is near effortless and both my wife who is small, and mother who has serious shoulder issues have no issue driving the JD around the yard.  

I'll also add that I was concerned that the R4 tires would be hard on our lawn and had originally wanted turf tires.  Two different JD dealers said that i'd be better served with the R4's and there wouldn't be any problem running them on the lawn.  I've had more issues with the casters not being set up properly and tearing the yard up in tight turns where the ground is soft than issues with the tires tearing the yard up.  

Front End Loader

We chose the H120 loader for our 1025r.  We decided to go this way as it is a bit quicker to remove the H120 than the D120 loader.  The FEL has a stand that comes down to support itself when removing it from the tractor, and tucks back up when it's mounted.  It takes 1-5 minutes to mount or dismount the FEL, usually depending on how warm or cold it is outside.  The only time i've ever had any issues is when there's been a large temperature swing.  Case in point, I had removed the FEL in December or January to mount the snow plow up.  I took the plow off last week and went to install the FEL and I could not get the hydraulic fitting from the FEL to couple with the input on the tractor.  After a quick google search, I found out that this is quite common due to the difference in hydraulic pressure if an implement is removed in cold and then you attempt to reattach when it's much warmer (it was almost 70 the other day).  The fix was to put a rag over the nipple, and push it hard against the frame of the tractor to release some of the fluid.  I'm sure people who around tractors more are quite familiar with this kind of issue.

The H120 does everything i've asked of it.   I've used it to move large pines out of my parents back yard that the person who cut them down didn't clean up.  Cleaned up a significant amount of brush by pushing it out of the way.  Used it to carry rocks, dig, and scrap the driveway.  Pretty much all the normal things you would use a FEL for.  

This is to show the size tree that the little tractor pushed -

And this is to show how it looks after it was about halfway cleaned up.

Box Blade

Now's a good time to mention the box blade as well.  This works a million times better than the FEL for scraping your driveway.  I'm using a heavy 5ft box blade I picked up from Tractor Supply.  The 1025r is able to haul it around quite well.  The first time I tried using the box blade, I noticed that it was hard to turn and it felt like the front end of the tractor was a bit light.  So I used the handy FEL to grab a bucket full of dirt to use for ballast which works great.  Now that it's all set up, i'm able to fully extend 4 out of the 5 teeth in the box blade or extend all 5 to one notch above fully extended for scraping the driveway.   Our driveway was pretty rutted before I scraped it, the box blade does a good job of making it look like new again.

After deploying teeth.

After i'm all done.

Also worth mentioning that using the FEL and Box Blade together I was able to carve out a nice mile long Jeep trail on our property.  They really do well and compliment each other.  

Snow Blade

We also got the 54" quick connect snow plow.  We had gotten a bunch of snow the past couple of years and my dad had been in poor health, so we thought it would be good to have a snow plow just in case he got sick again during the winter.  I've ran a snow plow before on my Yamaha Grizzly 700 which was fun, but very difficult to push anything more than a couple of inches since we have a long driveway.  Plus you had to get off the Griz, and manually reposition the angle of the blade.  I did thankfully have the winch lift for the blade which helped make things a little easier.

The plow mount is not the most intuitive thing i've ever used.  Once you get past the initial "how the hell does this hook up??!??" stage, it's really not hard at all.  It generally takes about 5 minutes to get it up and going.  It plowed very well.  In some of the deeper spots (2-4ft deep), it had a bit of trouble and I did have to engage the rear locker on the tractor.  Next year I would like to get extensions for the blade to push it out to being 66" wide.  That being said, 3 passes up and down the driveway and 30 minutes later, it's plowed.

I'll also add that I should probably look into getting some sort of oil pan or block heater before next winter.  The coldest temperature I tried to start the tractor in was something like -8 degrees and it took a couple of minutes to get it started.  I then of course let it warm up for about 10 minutes after before I did any real work with it.

Final Thoughts

I have 42 hours on the tractor now.  The 50 hour service is due pretty soon, and i'll likely handle that myself.  Doesn't look like it will be all that bad.  So far the only thing i've had to do maintenance wise is keep it greased up and fill it up with Diesel.  Great little tractor.  If anyone has any questions, i'll be happy to answer as well.

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 11:02:43 AM EDT
[#1]
That's so Cute
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 11:11:18 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That's so Cute
View Quote
It does pretty good for an overgrown lawnmower.

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 11:13:20 AM EDT
[#3]
I picked up a Kubota subcompact last fall.  Subcompacts suit me fine for what I use them for.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 11:14:25 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm closing on a property 4/30 that's heavily wooded, long driveway, 2-3 acres of grass to mow. Heat is from a central boiler so I'll need to haul wood out of the forest.

Obviously I've been eyeing compact tractors but I'm undecided on brand at this point.

Questions:

1. Did you do any comparison shopping before choosing Deere?
2. How much did the tractor, FEL, and MMM cost you?
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 11:17:08 AM EDT
[#5]
That's cool as shit.  I could use one of those, how much did that cost as equipped?
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 11:19:51 AM EDT
[#6]
OST.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 11:20:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Awwwwwww
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 11:23:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Rather put a mower attachment on the 994f and go for glory...
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 11:30:02 AM EDT
[#9]
i have a older kubota compact that i bought for various jobs. its a great little tractor. the previous owner kind of abused it, so i have had to replace a few broken things, knock a few dents out, and apply some new paint..... but it does a great job for a 18hp tractor.

i just bought 15 acres of land recently, and at the moment i am using it to clear a old road, and to make atv trails around my property, so i can check things out.... hunt, and later haul firewood behind the tractor.  im actually driving it from my house, 2 miles down country roads to my new property.... working, and driving the two miles back each day.. im really enjoying it. quiet backroads with very little traffic.

i really love my little tractor. i traded a 450 rhino and a generator for it..... then did around $2k in repairs. i think i have a total of around $8k in the tractor, and that includes a box blade, a really nice finish mower, and a grader blade..... not too bad for $8k i dont think.... tractor has 1100 hours on it, and starts, and runs everytime... no leaks, and everything works 100%.  although im pretty sure the previous owners flipped it onto its side... and bent the left rear rim.... its got a slight wobble to it... im planning new tires this year, and a rim is pretty cheap off ebay, so ill replace it... also needs new hood stickers, and new headlights.

i love my kubota !  

before i cut trail

after...

before..

after..

spreading gravel.

mowing....... ( i really need a belly mower)

we buil a logging hitch for it... to allow me to haul tools, chainsaw, cooler, etc..... tow a trailer, and to drag logs... it works really, really, well so far. im planning on adding a hitch hauler to it, to haul larger things... like maybe a cooler, or tposts, etc..... also planning to buy / build a small trailer to use in the woods. this tractor is only 48" wide at the widest spot... so its the size of a medium atv... and it fits in very tight / small places, so i need a small trailer to follow it, for hauling deer, and firewood, etc.

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 11:37:19 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

That's so Cute
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 11:45:11 AM EDT
[#11]

Needs more gunrack . . .

" />

" />

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 11:46:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Aww so cute!

But seriously, I love compact tractors. They are useful way beyond their weight class.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 11:48:20 AM EDT
[#13]
I need something just like that.  I just searched the model and holy hell, I figured 5-7K for something like that...not 20K.  Guess the manual labor will continue.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 11:53:38 AM EDT
[#14]

im actually planning on doing the same thing myself... just not gotten to it yet ! thats a nice set up.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 11:53:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Im so envious OP.

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 11:55:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I need something just like that.  I just searched the model and holy hell, I figured 5-7K for something like that...not 20K.  Guess the manual labor will continue.
View Quote

i have seen some VERY nice kubota tractors for sale for around $8-$10k. with around 1000 hours on them. check out craigslist... they are out there.

heres one.... great deal.... if i had the cash at the time id have bought one like this. its how i will get my next one.
2002 Kubota B7500   800 hours....23 HP Diesel - $7000

http://westky.craigslist.org/grd/4949731111.html

if you do buy a compact tractor.... get a 4x4 model, AND get a front end loader. those are mandatory to me after having them, even in my little tractor. . it will do 10 times the work a 2x2 will do. i cant count the times i have needed 4x4 in mine or i would either have been stuck in mud, or simply unable to do the job because i didnt have enough traction for 2 wheel drive to do the job.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 11:59:21 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Aww so cute!

http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff483/Real_PhillBert/2014-09-18%2015.29.35_zps4xedupqw.jpg

But seriously, I love compact tractors. They are useful way beyond their weight class.
View Quote
They do come in handy

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 11:59:48 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
i have seen some VERY nice kubota tractors for sale for around $8-$10k. with around 1000 hours on them. check out craigslist... they are out there.
if you do buy a compact tractor.... get a 4x4 model, AND get a front end loader. those are mandatory to me after having them, even in my little tractor. . it will do 10 times the work a 2x2 will do. i cant count the times i have needed 4x4 in mine or i would either have been stuck in mud, or simply unable to do the job because i didnt have enough traction for 2 wheel drive to do the job.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This!

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:03:36 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

This!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This!  
appreciate the advice.  I really need it for mowing and the loader and that is about it.  Will definitely go 4x4.

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:04:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I had another member email me and ask what I thought about the JD 1025r I owned.  I thought rather than replying directly to him, i'd just start a thread and share some pictures and my experience with the tractor and then send him a link to this thread.  So now that we've owned this SCUT (sub compact utility tractor) for a little under a year and I have 3 seasons and 41 hours under her belt I have a pretty good feel for the tractor.  

Mowing

This is the primary job of the 1025r during spring, summer, and fall.  I use it to mow around 3 acres of property that is somewhat hilly.  I'm running the 60d Autoconnect Mid Mount Mower (MMM).  To mount up up the mower takes less than a minute normally.  You drive over the mower with your height selector knob on the left hand side of the tractor in the install position and the hydraulic lever on the right in the full down position.  Once you're over the mower you drive forward until you hear a positive click, pull back on the lever on the right and then put your casters, and height selector knob back in their selected locations. To remove the mower, you reverse the steps.  The only additional step is that there is a bar on the back side of where the MMM attaches that has to be flipped down. Again, only takes a minute or two to remove.  

The tractor does a great job of mowing with minimal scalping considering how unlevel our yard is in places.  It also makes relatively quick and painless work of mowing compared to the Troybilt Horse XP 46" that it replaced.  The steering is near effortless and both my wife who is small, and mother who has serious shoulder issues have no issue driving the JD around the yard.  

I'll also add that I was concerned that the R4 tires would be hard on our lawn and had originally wanted turf tires.  Two different JD dealers said that i'd be better served with the R4's and there wouldn't be any problem running them on the lawn.  I've had more issues with the casters not being set up properly and tearing the yard up in tight turns where the ground is soft than issues with the tires tearing the yard up.  

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-oAuiwYGsuRE/VR1LpTlS8kI/AAAAAAAAOFk/AEohgUtfrsg/s800/20140701_071745.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-pxBsP2dSU7E/VR1BBMV96lI/AAAAAAAAOFc/hAcvd3GJvTc/s800/20140803_171750.jpg

Front End Loader

We chose the H120 loader for our 1025r.  We decided to go this way as it is a bit quicker to remove the H120 than the D120 loader.  The FEL has a stand that comes down to support itself when removing it from the tractor, and tucks back up when it's mounted.  It takes 1-5 minutes to mount or dismount the FEL, usually depending on how warm or cold it is outside.  The only time i've ever had any issues is when there's been a large temperature swing.  Case in point, I had removed the FEL in December or January to mount the snow plow up.  I took the plow off last week and went to install the FEL and I could not get the hydraulic fitting from the FEL to couple with the input on the tractor.  After a quick google search, I found out that this is quite common due to the difference in hydraulic pressure if an implement is removed in cold and then you attempt to reattach when it's much warmer (it was almost 70 the other day).  The fix was to put a rag over the nipple, and push it hard against the frame of the tractor to release some of the fluid.  I'm sure people who around tractors more are quite familiar with this kind of issue.

The H120 does everything i've asked of it.   I've used it to move large pines out of my parents back yard that the person who cut them down didn't clean up.  Cleaned up a significant amount of brush by pushing it out of the way.  Used it to carry rocks, dig, and scrap the driveway.  Pretty much all the normal things you would use a FEL for.  

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-q38QdL8rmpE/VR1CwyOy4eI/AAAAAAAAOFc/SZq56YviNz4/s800/IMG_2212-w1200-h1200.jpg

This is to show the size tree that the little tractor pushed -

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-iETAuKl_fEs/VR1EGw2Gq4I/AAAAAAAAOFc/QvgHi_mPhbw/s800/SAM_0601-w1200-h1000.jpg

And this is to show how it looks after it was about halfway cleaned up.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-ArgXo90fKtY/VR1A6piF3tI/AAAAAAAAOFc/pAkjrJIe5HI/s800/20140707_194947.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Ub7NUoMcfgM/VR1A0v0xCZI/AAAAAAAAOFc/sPQJv2e-mWA/s800/20140829_170548.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Dfv_zPwmQ0Y/VR1DO5cmDOI/AAAAAAAAOFc/pmq6VwUAto8/s800/IMG_2359.jpg

Box Blade

Now's a good time to mention the box blade as well.  This works a million times better than the FEL for scraping your driveway.  I'm using a heavy 5ft box blade I picked up from Tractor Supply.  The 1025r is able to haul it around quite well.  The first time I tried using the box blade, I noticed that it was hard to turn and it felt like the front end of the tractor was a bit light.  So I used the handy FEL to grab a bucket full of dirt to use for ballast which works great.  Now that it's all set up, i'm able to fully extend 4 out of the 5 teeth in the box blade or extend all 5 to one notch above fully extended for scraping the driveway.   Our driveway was pretty rutted before I scraped it, the box blade does a good job of making it look like new again.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-Bylyc-57cmU/VR1EGNuoM4I/AAAAAAAAOFc/LO7hSjPQY40/s800/IMG_2361.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-kPpdRD2gJHU/VR1BLD9DycI/AAAAAAAAOFc/1RZoDXwxNkQ/s800/20141026_153801.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Qs5zRTigZho/VR1BaEE5BFI/AAAAAAAAOFc/_Jiyt1ReKx4/s800/20141026_153806-2.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-aRzFlXwjFVo/VR1BYAU6-LI/AAAAAAAAOFc/YfVmdLCuqVw/s800/20141026_153815.jpg

After deploying teeth.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-b-oXkxbePoI/VR1BwNJAc5I/AAAAAAAAOFc/XcynlPY2Fco/s800/20141026_163618.jpg

After i'm all done.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-rnEOAllIIZs/VR1RWFND6SI/AAAAAAAAOF0/m64z8oSaF40/s800/20141026_170404-2.jpg

Also worth mentioning that using the FEL and Box Blade together I was able to carve out a nice mile long Jeep trail on our property.  They really do well and compliment each other.  

Snow Blade

We also got the 54" quick connect snow plow.  We had gotten a bunch of snow the past couple of years and my dad had been in poor health, so we thought it would be good to have a snow plow just in case he got sick again during the winter.  I've ran a snow plow before on my Yamaha Grizzly 700 which was fun, but very difficult to push anything more than a couple of inches since we have a long driveway.  Plus you had to get off the Griz, and manually reposition the angle of the blade.  I did thankfully have the winch lift for the blade which helped make things a little easier.

The plow mount is not the most intuitive thing i've ever used.  Once you get past the initial "how the hell does this hook up??!??" stage, it's really not hard at all.  It generally takes about 5 minutes to get it up and going.  It plowed very well.  In some of the deeper spots (2-4ft deep), it had a bit of trouble and I did have to engage the rear locker on the tractor.  Next year I would like to get extensions for the blade to push it out to being 66" wide.  That being said, 3 passes up and down the driveway and 30 minutes later, it's plowed.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Jza2oymasqE/VR1CUe7IBXI/AAAAAAAAOFc/xLyqPJD1azY/s800/20150217_071720.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-fXIg7KXzkyU/VR1CcYPxSuI/AAAAAAAAOFc/Ni2cX23soBk/s800/20150217_075542.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GYhjJlRXIk0/VR1CunjRCJI/AAAAAAAAOFc/ThK1HrI_coM/s800/20150219_080952.jpg

I'll also add that I should probably look into getting some sort of oil pan or block heater before next winter.  The coldest temperature I tried to start the tractor in was something like -8 degrees and it took a couple of minutes to get it started.  I then of course let it warm up for about 10 minutes after before I did any real work with it.

Final Thoughts

I have 42 hours on the tractor now.  The 50 hour service is due pretty soon, and i'll likely handle that myself.  Doesn't look like it will be all that bad.  So far the only thing i've had to do maintenance wise is keep it greased up and fill it up with Diesel.  Great little tractor.  If anyone has any questions, i'll be happy to answer as well.

View Quote

Now that you have your driveway fixed up some with your box blade, I like to use a landscape rake to fix up the gravel. I run it several times a year and quick and easy to "clean it up"

You will save your back a bunch.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:06:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
i have a older kubota compact that i bought for various jobs. its a great little tractor. the previous owner kind of abused it, so i have had to replace a few broken things, knock a few dents out, and apply some new paint..... but it does a great job for a 18hp tractor.

i just bought 15 acres of land recently, and at the moment i am using it to clear a old road, and to make atv trails around my property, so i can check things out.... hunt, and later haul firewood behind the tractor.  im actually driving it from my house, 2 miles down country roads to my new property.... working, and driving the two miles back each day.. im really enjoying it. quiet backroads with very little traffic.

i really love my little tractor. i traded a 450 rhino and a generator for it..... then did around $2k in repairs. i think i have a total of around $8k in the tractor, and that includes a box blade, a really nice finish mower, and a grader blade..... not too bad for $8k i dont think.... tractor has 1100 hours on it, and starts, and runs everytime... no leaks, and everything works 100%.  although im pretty sure the previous owners flipped it onto its side... and bent the left rear rim.... its got a slight wobble to it... im planning new tires this year, and a rim is pretty cheap off ebay, so ill replace it... also needs new hood stickers, and new headlights.

i love my kubota !  

before i cut trail
http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp58/buck19delta/11083642_10203618452933856_1454316349974617402_n_zpszsqhvvjm.jpg

after...

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp58/buck19delta/10313949_10203618453253864_8977761829944735302_n_zpst9uhvms9.jpg

before..

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp58/buck19delta/11070351_10203581302485118_3926470455646253186_n_zpshaqwllpd.jpg

after..

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp58/buck19delta/10516805_10203581303365140_8366654634133487176_n_zpset5sfniu.jpg

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp58/buck19delta/10985879_10203581302885128_3460873339662194542_n_zpswnewkvez.jpg

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp58/buck19delta/11091527_10203581303845152_571463706042518195_n_zpsvl7gq6fg.jpg

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp58/buck19delta/10452321_10203581304285163_232516025561071412_n_zpshqv4xehq.jpg

spreading gravel.

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp58/buck19delta/20141206_091312_zpsc7ef04b6.jpg

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp58/buck19delta/DSCN0867_zps4fa0d0f4.jpg

we buil a logging hitch for it... to allow me to haul tools, chainsaw, cooler, etc..... tow a trailer, and to drag logs... it works really, really, well so far. im planning on adding a hitch hauler to it, to haul larger things... like maybe a cooler, or tposts, etc..... also planning to buy / build a small trailer to use in the woods. this tractor is only 48" wide at the widest spot... so its the size of a medium atv... and it fits in very tight / small places, so i need a small trailer to follow it, for hauling deer, and firewood, etc.

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp58/buck19delta/20150318_143810_zpswncfuhsl.jpg

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp58/buck19delta/20150318_143850_zpsltqnhztp.jpg

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp58/buck19delta/10308209_10203576363561648_5518941438920221970_n_zpshc8ksrrh.jpg

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp58/buck19delta/10418351_10203576366681726_3220267923465681902_n_zpsu8wnri57.jpg
View Quote

I like that 3-point tool rack.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:09:25 PM EDT
[#22]
I have the older version - 2305 Deere.

Love it.

My in laws just bought a brand new Kubota BX25D - so far I'm the only ones that's really run it. Awesome tractor too.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:09:55 PM EDT
[#23]
OP was your tractor made in Horicon?
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:11:39 PM EDT
[#24]
What engine is in the Deere? Where was it built?

Very nice, and nice place, and nice Jeeps.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:12:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yanmar engines.

The machines are assembled in the US.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:19:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Tag
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:21:51 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I'm closing on a property 4/30 that's heavily wooded, long driveway, 2-3 acres of grass to mow. Heat is from a central boiler so I'll need to haul wood out of the forest.

Obviously I've been eyeing compact tractors but I'm undecided on brand at this point.

Questions:

1. Did you do any comparison shopping before choosing Deere?

2. How much did the tractor, FEL, and MMM cost you?
View Quote
1.  I only shopped it against what was semi local, so that was JD and Kubota within 50 miles.  The JD dealer a bit further up the road was cheaper, but they were advising selling to us as a farm.  I talked to my CPA and she advised against doing that unless we were actually going to be farming.  Sounded like too much of a hassle to me.  

2.  We were at approx $19,400 OTD including tax set up and delivered to our house that's about 30 miles away from the dealer.  A Kubota BX set up similarly was about $3,000 less.  My dad wanted a JD, so that's what we got (went in together w/ parents on purchase).  Personally I think the BX's are damn good tractors as well.  

I'll also add that i've found just about anything automotive costs more in southwest VA.  Our past 4 vehicles we've had to go 70 miles or better out to find decent deals.  With the tractor, we decided to buy close because frankly I don't know much about tractors and don't have a trailer right now to haul one.  So closer is better for me in case a dealer has to pick it up to work on it.  That being said, if you shop around you can find one a few thousand cheaper.  
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:29:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

They're out there.  I went to an equipment auction a few weeks ago and the same tractor as OP with loader and MMM went for 9,500.  It only had 138 hours on it too.  Check auctions and Craigslist.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:31:03 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
They're out there.  I went to an equipment auction a few weeks ago and the same tractor as OP with loader and MMM went for 9,500.  It only had 138 hours on it too.  Check auctions and Craigslist.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Buying new on something like this is throwing money away.  Good used tractors can be had for MUCH less than new if you look around.  

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:36:41 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Buying new on something like this is throwing money away.  Good used tractors can be had for MUCH less than new if you look around.    
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm sure it's seasonal, but I looked for a couple of months and didn't see a whole lot for sale on Craigslist, Ebay, or the local classified ads within 400 miles which was as far as I was willing to drive.  There was one tractor nearby that I was interested in until I started reading up on them and they had some kind of issue which the specifics escape me at the moment.  At any rate it was a 2001-2002 model with a number of implements including FEL, MMM, post digger, box blade, and something else.  Had maybe 300-400 hours and the guy was asking $14,000 for everything.  It sold before we settled on ours.  
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:37:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:41:00 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

That's an awesome SCUT, OP. You did well.

I have bigger machines but would love to have a SCUT like that for maneuverability alone.

I'll be interested to hear how the drive-over deck holds up in terms of ease of hooking up once you get many hundreds of hours on the machine. (Not a criticism.....am just interested in the lifespan of the drive-over decks.)

View Quote

I haven't hooked up to it yet this season.  It's getting about that time though.  I know when reading reviews people said that the auto connect was a pain in the ass to hook up if you didn't park it on a perfectly level spot.  I can say that I don't think theres a flat spot on my property and i've only had to monkey with it once or twice.  That involved driving off of it and driving back on.  Minor qualm.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 2:36:48 PM EDT
[#33]
OP when you were using the FEL did you feel if the back end was coming up?  The dealer here is saying a ballast box is necessary for use of the FEL.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 2:45:06 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

OP when you were using the FEL did you feel if the back end was coming up?  The dealer here is saying a ballast box is necessary for use of the FEL.
View Quote
I've never felt like the back end was coming up.  The rear tires are filled with fluid and I feel like that's plenty enough ballast with that. I've had it in some pretty gnarly places with a full bucket.      

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 2:55:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Do you know what kind of fluid was used.  The Kubota dealer said they use beet juice.   I was going to talk to the JD dealer when I stop in next time.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 3:00:30 PM EDT
[#36]
I have one too...just took it in for the 50 HR service...good little tractor
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 3:05:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Very good report, I need one to move piles of horse manure, mud and gunk plus restore the back 40.  It would also work well to power a log splitter.

Don't need any mowing, got that covered.  But something that will get through a 5 foot wide gate.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 3:09:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Other than mowing, I would much rather use my bobcat for all the tasks that people use compact tractors for.  Go find a used bobcat s250, put on a set of Mclaren steel tracks and it will have 10x the power and lifting ability of a compact.  I routinely move loads up to 3000lbs with mine.

If I want to cut a trail through the multiflora rose and Asian honeysuckle in the woods, I set the blade half an inch above the ground..... And drive.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 3:23:27 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Other than mowing, I would much rather use my bobcat for all the tasks that people use compact tractors for.  Go find a used bobcat s250, put on a set of Mclaren steel tracks and it will have 10x the power and lifting ability of a compact.  I routinely move loads up to 3000lbs with mine.

If I want to cut a trail through the multiflora rose and Asian honeysuckle in the woods, I set the blade half an inch above the ground..... And drive.
View Quote
Agreed, although I can get a tractor over more uneven terrain than a bobcat and I can pull better with a bobcat.

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 3:25:13 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Very good report, I need one to move piles of horse manure, mud and gunk plus restore the back 40.  It would also work well to power a log splitter.

Don't need any mowing, got that covered.  But something that will get through a 5 foot wide gate.

View Quote
This thing will fit just about anywhere even with the loader attached.  It's very nimble in that regard.  

Quoted:

Other than mowing, I would much rather use my bobcat for all the tasks that people use compact tractors for. Go find a used bobcat s250, put on a set of Mclaren steel tracks and it will have 10x the power and lifting ability of a compact. I routinely move loads up to 3000lbs with mine.

You know, you're probably right.  The thing is, there's always a better tool for a single task.  I think the nice thing about a SCUT is the fact that you can do all of these things with one vehicle.  It's not perfect at any of them, but overall it does them just good enough.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 4:35:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
They do come in handy  

<a href="http://s1282.photobucket.com/user/pavelow164781/media/DEF72319-EED8-419C-85BA-A5D5F4DE6382_zpscfs6v1di.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a531/pavelow164781/DEF72319-EED8-419C-85BA-A5D5F4DE6382_zpscfs6v1di.jpg</a>

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Aww so cute!

http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff483/Real_PhillBert/2014-09-18%2015.29.35_zps4xedupqw.jpg

They do come in handy  

<a href="http://s1282.photobucket.com/user/pavelow164781/media/DEF72319-EED8-419C-85BA-A5D5F4DE6382_zpscfs6v1di.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a531/pavelow164781/DEF72319-EED8-419C-85BA-A5D5F4DE6382_zpscfs6v1di.jpg</a>

^winning at life
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 5:34:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 6:07:57 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

i love my kubota !  

before i cut trail

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp58/buck19delta/11083642_10203618452933856_1454316349974617402_n_zpszsqhvvjm.jpg
after...

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp58/buck19delta/10313949_10203618453253864_8977761829944735302_n_zpst9uhvms9.jpg
before..

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp58/buck19delta/11070351_10203581302485118_3926470455646253186_n_zpshaqwllpd.jpg
after..

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp58/buck19delta/10516805_10203581303365140_8366654634133487176_n_zpset5sfniu.jpg

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp58/buck19delta/10985879_10203581302885128_3460873339662194542_n_zpswnewkvez.jpg

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp58/buck19delta/11091527_10203581303845152_571463706042518195_n_zpsvl7gq6fg.jpg

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp58/buck19delta/10452321_10203581304285163_232516025561071412_n_zpshqv4xehq.jpg

spreading gravel.

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp58/buck19delta/20141206_091312_zpsc7ef04b6.jpg

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp58/buck19delta/DSCN0867_zps4fa0d0f4.jpg

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp58/buck19delta/20150318_143810_zpswncfuhsl.jpg

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp58/buck19delta/20150318_143850_zpsltqnhztp.jpg

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp58/buck19delta/10308209_10203576363561648_5518941438920221970_n_zpshc8ksrrh.jpg

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp58/buck19delta/10418351_10203576366681726_3220267923465681902_n_zpsu8wnri57.jpg
View Quote

I am so stealing that rear log/tool carrier idea!!!

Good to see that you can make a trail through brushy woods, I have to do the same to one part of my property that almost unpassable.

Pics of my Kubota L4330:

And who said you needed a rifle rack.  Guess what?  They're right!

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 6:51:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Back in the early 2000's, I had a Chinese 28HP 4x4, the same brand as Northern Tool sells, which I bought in a crate for $3700. I built my house with that little beast. It was big for its britches. But beware, tractors get small after a while. I replaced the Jinma with a Kioti DK45 Loader/Backhoe. Great machine, but needed BIGGER to start farming my about 200+/- acres of tillable land to help my neighbor's small family dairy operation. I also needed to get specialized machines to get shit done faster. Currently, I have a Massey 3635 for tillage and haying, a Mitsubishi MS070B excavator for digging, and an International 1824 4x4 5-Ton Dump for plowing and hauling. I have to say, the new little machines are quite capable, but the prices are outrageous.
" />
" />
" />
" />
" />
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 8:28:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Yanmar engines.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yanmar engines.

I believe Yanmar makes the whole tractor.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 8:38:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yanmar engines.

From talking to my dealer and reading online, take it for what its worth, I've learned this:

Yanmar and Deere split ways in 2010. Which would be why Deere launched the 1025 as built in the US. Where as my entire 2305 was built in Japan.

Deere still uses yanmar engines up to the 37hp model and in their smaller construction equipment. (My Deere zts50 excavator uses the same fuel filter and air filter as my 2305. Go figure. But everything is different in my Deere 317 skid loader. )

So, as I said. I'm no expert, but I do think Deere makes the whole 1025. Which is why it uses a different loader / mower / etc. Then the 2305.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 8:39:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yanmar engines.

Nope. The frames are stamped, welded and painted in Horicon Wi. Then shipped to Augusta Georgia for assembly. Link
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 8:41:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Green paint ain't cheap you know.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 8:46:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Either is orange or red.

:/
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 8:51:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Mahindra's are currently the best bank for the buck, IMHO. They're heavy and strong.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top