Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 8:55:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Page two will Grom up and down your block...
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 9:18:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks like a fun playbike for bombing around town, backroads, and empty parking lots. Hell, Honda has been building that same style engine minus the FI since what, the early 60's? Powered how many million streetbikes, ATC's, trail bikes, scooters etc. worldwide so they should have the kinks worked out of it by now.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 9:56:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I can see it now.

Black with Tabpul Industries graphics. Custom made tight tucked exhaust with a muffler by the wheel. Some sort of crazy two toned wheels like the Superduke R, that chop like a fishing lure. Screaming YOLO while riding by some hipsters on the back wheel. Spreading the gospel of the #30pack.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:52:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Look at the replica plastics for it...
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:55:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I can see it now.

Black with Tabpul Industries graphics. Custom made tight tucked exhaust with a muffler by the wheel. Some sort of crazy two toned wheels like the Superduke R, that chop like a fishing lure. Screaming YOLO while riding by some hipsters on the back wheel. Spreading the gospel of the #30pack.

http://blog.ktm.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/1290superduke-prototype-01.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 11:13:24 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I've thrown around the idea of a 250 motard. I don't really care to have a sport bike type. The 250F and 450F are great engines but again the maintenance on them seems like it is gonna take all the fun out of it. Not to mention the price tag on the bikes. Something about the Grom keeps me leaning towards it. You can big bore, stroke, and cam one for super cheap. So if something were to happen to the motor for any reason, it wouldn't be down for a long time.

I'd love to have 450 power but a bike like that really isn't in the budget nor is the desire to work on one. And I would probably have to just buy a dirt bike and change out wheels and brakes, then add lights to have what I want.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Everyone who rides them says they're fun as shit, but I would look like a bear on a circus bike, plus I feel a lot more "secure" on a 600ish-sized bike.
Knowing the relative sizes involved, you might actually be able to pull it off, Pistol

Yeah and me on a 600+ cc bike = Life Insurance claim.

I tend to push everything I ride as hard as it will go, the only way to govern it is with cc's. Grom would probably be a perfect all around bike for me if it was slightly bigger, made about 30hp, and could get up to 90 mph.

Your criteria fits the 250-300cc category. My dad rides a ninja 300 and it sounds like what you're looking for

I ride a cbr600rr

I've thrown around the idea of a 250 motard. I don't really care to have a sport bike type. The 250F and 450F are great engines but again the maintenance on them seems like it is gonna take all the fun out of it. Not to mention the price tag on the bikes. Something about the Grom keeps me leaning towards it. You can big bore, stroke, and cam one for super cheap. So if something were to happen to the motor for any reason, it wouldn't be down for a long time.

I'd love to have 450 power but a bike like that really isn't in the budget nor is the desire to work on one. And I would probably have to just buy a dirt bike and change out wheels and brakes, then add lights to have what I want.

DRZ400SM.

You're welcome.

Buy it, change the oil every 2,000, clean the airfilter once in a while and check the valves every 10-12,000 miles (if you really want to). There's plenty of dudes on TT and ADV with 30-50K on their bikes and few problems all around. The DRZ weighs 20-30lbs at most more than the road going 250's you can buy with more power. If you do an FCR swap and a few other mods they will book it. Buy a set of 18/21" wheels and you can go from supermoto to an enduro on knobbies in 30 minutes.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 11:46:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I wanted a Grom until I finally found one... pictures and/or videos don't highlight just how small they are.

Think scooter sized.

I have and love a Yamaha WR250X, at 5'5" it might be a little tall for you but they do offer lowering links, seats. etc.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 11:48:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I wanted a Grom until I finally found one... pictures and/or videos don't highlight just how small they are.

Think scooter sized.

I have and love a Yamaha WR250X, at 5'5" it might be a little tall for you but they do offer lowering links, seats. etc.
View Quote

If they were half again as big with twice the engine, they'd be near perfect.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 11:53:57 PM EDT
[#9]
you want pretty

A Honda Fit With A Grom In The Back Is Something We Need Yesterday

http://jalopnik.com/a-honda-fit-with-a-grom-in-the-back-is-something-we-nee-1654666336
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 12:07:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Great, like I needed more ideas

And to the haters, I've watched these put a hurting on XR100s at the track.  It's all in the rider. Far from a "scooter"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's the weight limit on that thing?  I can't wait to come over.  

I think you'll be alright.

This guy manages, although I bet he had to add the turbo to make it get stock like performance with him on it.

http://youtu.be/imWqQUoBgf8

Great, like I needed more ideas

And to the haters, I've watched these put a hurting on XR100s at the track.  It's all in the rider. Far from a "scooter"

" its all in the rider/driver/pilot/captain" applies to any vehicle under the sun.
A good rider on a XR 100 will put a hurting on an average rider on a grom, or whatever.

12" wheel=scooter or mini bike. Period.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 12:14:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Never been a big Suzuki fan. Its my least favorite of the big 4. If I'm going to spend that kind of money on a bike Im going home with the Honda or Yamaha. Lighter and makes 20 more horsepower.

All of them are gonna suck for maintenance. Of course you have some leeway but a piston every 15 hrs. Even if you went every 200 hrs it would be a pain in the dick. And yeah race conditions vs. street. But any thing I'm on is gonna live near race conditions. I'd feel cheated if i spent that much on a bike and putted around on it.

Link Posted: 1/21/2015 12:52:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Never been a big Suzuki fan. Its my least favorite of the big 4. If I'm going to spend that kind of money on a bike Im going home with the Honda or Yamaha. Lighter and makes 20 more horsepower.

All of them are gonna suck for maintenance. Of course you have some leeway but a piston every 15 hrs. Even if you went every 200 hrs it would be a pain in the dick. And yeah race conditions vs. street. But any thing I'm on is gonna live near race conditions. I'd feel cheated if i spent that much on a bike and putted around on it.

http://www.visordown.com/common/images/copyrightimage.gif
View Quote

Guess how I can tell you don't know what you are talking about...
Even very aggressive street riding is nowhere near race conditions
The maintainence schedules you are looking at are for motocross bikes

Motocross is like Formula 1 on engines, the entire race is spent at max or getting to max rpm's.
The limited traction puts less load on the engines so its closer to just revving and engine in neutral than driving a bike on the road.
Put street treads on and ride on pavement the load on the engine is dramaticly increased and helps keep the engine from beating itself to death.

If you go up a tooth on the front sprocket or down a couple on the back(higher gear) you can significantly increase the life of a motocross engine just because of the load increase

The only people who "live near race conditions" on the street are either shit talkers or squids
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 9:57:53 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I've ridden a grom twice, on neighborhood streets, it's a scooter. A cool scooter, but still a scooter.

I don't think "real" (part in green) is the right word. If you mean "street" then I agree with that claim. But if you are saying a grom is more a motorcycle than the RM250 you claim to have owned then I have to call BS.

MotoXer's have excellent turn in whether set up for on road or off, and if your RM was slower to get to 40 than your grom, then something was fucking wrong with your RM

The smallest bike I own is a KLX 110 (a little over 140 now), it has been cam'd, piped, carbed, bored, new ecu,fourth gear shift drum'd, clutched, and super moto'd. It will top out about 60, and is REAL quick to 40, but I dont kid myself about it being a "real" bike.

Not saying it isn't fun, and I love riding it, but putting anything in that class over a 250 motoxer as a "real" bike is just fuckin silly
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I have one. We met at CW4, Pistol. We are about the same size (iirc). 5'9 190lb.

edit:

The Grom IS NOTHING LIKE A SCOOTER. You clearly havent ridden one. Its quick to turn in and qucik to get to 40. Its much more a "real" bike than a dirt bike. No, its not as twitchy as a super moto/motard. I ride my uncles 570 husaberg motard it I want a twitchy monstrous wheelie machine.

I've ridden a grom twice, on neighborhood streets, it's a scooter. A cool scooter, but still a scooter.

I don't think "real" (part in green) is the right word. If you mean "street" then I agree with that claim. But if you are saying a grom is more a motorcycle than the RM250 you claim to have owned then I have to call BS.

MotoXer's have excellent turn in whether set up for on road or off, and if your RM was slower to get to 40 than your grom, then something was fucking wrong with your RM

The smallest bike I own is a KLX 110 (a little over 140 now), it has been cam'd, piped, carbed, bored, new ecu,fourth gear shift drum'd, clutched, and super moto'd. It will top out about 60, and is REAL quick to 40, but I dont kid myself about it being a "real" bike.

Not saying it isn't fun, and I love riding it, but putting anything in that class over a 250 motoxer as a "real" bike is just fuckin silly

First, yes I'm saying on the street. Of course the RM that I "claimed" to own was mental... (Lol interwebs/Arf stigma of lies) I'm by no means a pro rider. I've been on dirt since a kid. Shattered my leg and didn't ride much after until around 2007. I rode the GROM nearly everyday until winter last year. I stand by its nothing like a scooter, since I own both. The Grom fills a fun part in the market. But for the cost of new, I'd rather throw that $3k towards a new FZ-09 (in hindsight, but I would not sell my Grom now).... Cause that's hot.

Link Posted: 1/21/2015 10:35:21 AM EDT
[#14]
A grom will attract other dudes on groms.

A vespa will be just as much fun to ride but will attract women.

If I were to buy  a >200cc >12" wheel "bike" just for tooling downtown and fucking around, its attraction to the opposite sex would weigh much heavier in the equation than its"performance" capabilities.

A grom is a scooter at worst, a mini bike at best, what it is not, is a chick magnet.

If you are gonna get something in that size/class, get the one that will get you Laid.

Grom= dudes
Vespa=ladies
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 10:48:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

If I were to buy  a >200cc >12" wheel "bike" just for tooling downtown and fucking around, its attraction to the opposite sex would weigh much heavier in the equation than its"performance" capabilities.

A grom is a scooter at worst, a mini bike at best, what it is not, is a chick magnet.

If you are gonna get something in that size/class, get the one that will get you Laid.

Grom= dudes
Vespa=ladies
View Quote

Married.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 10:50:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Grom= dudes
Vespa=ladies
View Quote

Experience says otherwise...
And kneedragging on a Vespa will have you falling off the seat.

Link Posted: 1/21/2015 12:32:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Dude on the vespa certainly seems to have a knee down.

Girl on grom is an ad.

Go cruise a grom and a vespa through town on a sat night and see which attracts which.

My point is they are in the same class and about the same experience to ride,
one will get you bros, one will get you ho's.

Just depends on who you want to hang out with.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 12:34:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Dude on the vespa certainly seems to have a knee down.

Girl on grom is an ad.

Go cruise a grom and a vespa through town on a sat night and see which attracts which.

My point is they are in the same class and about the same experience to ride,
one will get you bros, one will get you ho's.

Just depends on who you want to hang out with.
View Quote

Google "girl on a grom"

A dude on a Vespa gaines 10x Metrosexual points by default.

I'm 6'4", you won't catch me on either.
I'd goof off on a grom, I just wouldn't fit
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 12:38:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Here, dudes who wear faux fur and skinny jeans ride Vespas to their job at PETA.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 1:58:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Hold the fucking phone!!  You can ride one of these things through a doorway?!??

Must...resist...urge... to spend money for the sole purpose of hooliganism
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Hold the fucking phone!!  You can ride one of these things through a doorway?!??

Must...resist...urge... to spend money for the sole purpose of hooliganism

Wow!  Through the office.  Looks like fun.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 2:26:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Suuuuure
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 2:41:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

did someone say mini bike?

Link Posted: 1/21/2015 2:49:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Suuuuure
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Suuuuure

Give it a try sometime, scooters are fun
I don't own one, have no use for one, but they are fun.
For the record in the early 90's I owned a honda helix and an interceptor, pulled far more pussy on the helix

My point is chicks dig scooters that look like scooters,
Dudes dig scooters that look like motorcycles
If you are gonna ride a scooter just be aware of the demographic you appeal to
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 3:01:14 PM EDT
[#24]
FWIW look under Grom girls.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 3:02:47 PM EDT
[#25]
I see them as an update to the old Honda ZB-50's

Link Posted: 1/21/2015 3:05:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I see them as an update to the old Honda ZB-50's

http://www.motorera.com/honda/h0050/zb50/zb50-88.jpg
View Quote

With 2.5x the displacement
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 3:07:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Here's a spot for you to put your murse...

Link Posted: 1/21/2015 3:08:43 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm trying to figure out how I managed to get married without using a bike to pick up chicks.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 3:14:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I'm trying to figure out how I managed to get married without using a bike to pick up chicks.
View Quote

Well I was wearing an FMF shirt when I met my wife.

I always figured if you want to meet chicks you have to get off the bike and go into the bar and talk to them.

I want one for me and only me.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 3:18:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 3:24:56 PM EDT
[#31]
I think they look pretty cool.  I am willing to bet that they are a blast jetting around town.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 3:27:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I always figured if you want to meet chicks you have to get off the bike and go into the bar and talk to them.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bought my Husky to ride, but slow, high wheelies get plenty of attention.
My Z gets enough attention and is much more comfortable with a passenger
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 3:31:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

http://pictures.topspeed.com/IMG/crop/201406/vespa-primavera-150_800x0w.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You clearly missed my point
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 3:34:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your point is that riding a faggy scooter will get you laid, and riding a small motorcycle will make dudes want you.

If you're looking for a panty dropper, buy a Harley.

The rest of us are looking for something to ride, not something to lean on while chatting up chicks.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 3:47:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Your point is that riding a faggy scooter will get you laid, and riding a small motorcycle will make dudes want you.

The rest of us are looking for something to ride, not something to lean on while chatting up chicks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrong
Point is, a grom is a scooter

Harleys do for old guys what groms do for young guys.
I'm too old for a scooter, not old enough for a cruiser.
I do prefer twins however.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 4:18:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 4:23:11 PM EDT
[#37]

Needs more Peeptek.

Link Posted: 1/21/2015 4:33:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Needs more Peeptek.

http://i.imgur.com/ac9jBex.jpg
View All Quotes

Done!

Link Posted: 1/21/2015 5:04:19 PM EDT
[#39]
View All Quotes

Link Posted: 1/21/2015 5:40:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Ok, I'm in for the review to hear what you think of it when you get it.  You got me interested.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 6:04:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Ok, I'm in for the review to hear what you think of it when you get it.  You got me interested.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/21/2015 7:17:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Motocross is like Formula 1 on engines, the entire race is spent at max or getting to max rpm's.
The limited traction puts less load on the engines so its closer to just revving and engine in neutral than driving a bike on the road.
Put street treads on and ride on pavement the load on the engine is dramaticly increased and helps keep the engine from beating itself to death.

If you go up a tooth on the front sprocket or down a couple on the back(higher gear) you can significantly increase the life of a motocross engine just because of the load increase

The only people who "live near race conditions" on the street are either shit talkers or squids
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Guess how I know you don't now me, and have never ridden with me.  I reckon I'm just a squid in your book, though.  Keep generalizing that someone won't keep their engine revved to the max, and I'll keep assuming that you're loud mouth that can't ride himself, therefore puts everyone else down
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 7:19:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I think they look pretty cool.  I am willing to bet that they are a blast jetting around town.
View Quote

They are fun as hell on the track as well
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 7:21:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Wrong

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrong

If you're shifting it, it ain't a scooter in my book.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 7:26:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Grom with CRF450 mill.

Link Posted: 1/21/2015 7:30:49 PM EDT
[#46]

Ho Lee Fuk.

Link Posted: 1/21/2015 7:32:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Fuck, the damn turbo was already giving me ideas...
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 8:27:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Guess how I know you don't now me, and have never ridden with me.  I reckon I'm just a squid in your book, though.  Keep generalizing that someone won't keep their engine revved to the max, and I'll keep assuming that you're loud mouth that can't ride himself, therefore puts everyone else down
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you race on the street you are an idiot. Take it is o the track where it belongs
If you have to keep your engine "revved to the max" you probably need a bigger engine.
You don't have to believe me if you don't want to, but racing and street riding are nothing alike.
Even if your a total badass
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 10:35:24 PM EDT
[#49]
On that note. Check out this shit.

And its more fun hammering on something all the time. Like someone else said, riding a slow bike fast is more fun than riding a fast bike slow.

Link Posted: 1/21/2015 10:51:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Bigger engines are for guys with tiny dicks, and aren't needed to go faster than the rubber and asphalt friction coefficient will allow   Most fun I've ever had was chasing down some twits on liter bikes while riding my 250.  

But internet possing contest aside, pistol, I'm gonna need some peeptek files, because it's looking like I'll get a Grom as my birthday present to myself this year
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top