Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/14/2014 4:59:23 PM EDT
i have hunted almost all of my life.. i used to be ok with hunting in really cold temps. well, cold is debatable. i went to cold weather training in wisconsin once. -20, that sucked. cold to me is anything under 30*. i was hunting last night, and again this morning, and it was 25* with a 10mph wind gusting to 30mpg. it was fucking cold to me. i lasted a hour before i bailed.  i am wanting a tree house type, for not just me, but to help others hunt who are even more cold sensitive than i am. like my GF, grandkids, and kids. ( not everyone has tier 1 cold weather gear.  

anyway..... i have some land i bought, and will be doing a lot of food plots on this spring. i am also planning to build a couple tree house deer stands, probably have a interior of around 6'x6'.. maybe 8'x4'. something enclosed, with a roof, for two people.... that i can put a small propane heater in, and keep the rain off of me with. also where the gf can get freaky with me as well...  im thinking of a budget around $500 or less.... and it will have a removable ladder to keep people out during the off season, and a locking trap door as well..

lets see some tree stand treehouses for ideas.

heres my gf./ hunting buddy. per the rules.

Link Posted: 11/14/2014 5:16:09 PM EDT
[#1]
You could build a few of these for $500.00 to place around your property if you use used pallet wood for the outside. Use that translucent corrugated roofing for a roof and light.

Link Posted: 11/14/2014 5:22:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You could build a few of these for $500.00 to place around your property if you use used pallet wood for the outside. Use that translucent corrugated roofing for a roof and light.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ikmdd_SO6iM/UdHJzIQHjTI/AAAAAAAAGOk/hmtuVP_Bsno/s640/20130531_115809.jpg
View Quote

im leaning strongly for either telephone poles, or 6x6 posts, with pressure treated plywood, and a roof of some kind. . maybe 10 feet high ( prob 16' posts). most of my stuff is really steep, so not much height is needed anyway.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 5:37:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
You could build a few of these for $500.00...
View Quote

You add one too many zeroes?  You should be able to build one hell of a deer palace for $500.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 5:45:15 PM EDT
[#4]
you always have the cutest girlfriends. how do you do it?
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 5:49:33 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

You add one too many zeroes?  You should be able to build one hell of a deer palace for $500.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I think he meant you could build a few for 500 because there is no way there is 500 dollars worth materials there unless the atv is included then that's damn cheap!

Link Posted: 11/14/2014 5:55:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice buddy.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 5:56:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I think he meant you could build a few for 500 because there is no way there is 500 dollars worth materials there unless the atv is included then that's damn cheap!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gov contract tree stand maybe?

Not mine, but i searched for "permanent tree stand"

Link Posted: 11/14/2014 5:59:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
you always have the cutest girlfriends. how do you do it?
View Quote

hey thanks

if been dating her for a quite a while, and known her about 6 years. she will probably be moving in with me in the next few months. im a happy man.

she went hunting with me all last weekend, and again today. planning to go sat as well. shes a keeper.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 6:00:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gov contract tree stand maybe?

Not mine, but i searched for "permanent tree stand"
http://cdn.wideopenspaces.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/featured-tree-stand-620x330.jpg

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l221/okiedoghunter/STAND014.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-zOrUodN8aJo/UZ2Ix-JdMvI/AAAAAAAAAj4/JtEmYFAB6n4/s1600/Camper+Stand.jpg

that first one is not bad.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 6:00:50 PM EDT
[#10]

Link Posted: 11/14/2014 6:01:39 PM EDT
[#11]

Link Posted: 11/14/2014 6:02:45 PM EDT
[#12]

Link Posted: 11/14/2014 6:04:04 PM EDT
[#13]

Link Posted: 11/14/2014 6:05:13 PM EDT
[#14]
The last couple I have built I had sprayed on the inside with the expanding foam insulation. Of course you will have to have a way of getting it up in the air, to put the legs under it, we have used a backhoe, sorry no pics.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 6:13:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Tell her to harden up or hit the road.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 6:13:30 PM EDT
[#16]
What I've done is find a close group of trees, clusters of maples work good, attach 3 or 4 2x6's at the height you desire using deck screws. Then take a full size pallet and attach it to the boards for a floor, then build the sides and roof from there. Roof and flooring is just a sheet of plywood. Chain a ladder to the tree, take it away after season to keep people out. Usually I'll pre-cut the boards getting them close in length and use a cordless drill and deck screws to put it together on site (haul it on an ATV).
I don't get fancy, open air "windows" (I don't care for windows cause they fog)...really a roof, a wind break and some height is all you are after. A folding chair or 2 and a sling hook are about the only luxury's. Though in super cold minus zero temps I've used a small propane heater to warm fingers, toes and cook on.
We've built 4 in our best spots like this. Course we (my brother and I) only build in trees we own.

Link Posted: 11/14/2014 6:15:44 PM EDT
[#17]
You guys have some damn fugly contraptions built.  I wish I had pics of my grandfathers land when I was a kid.  He built some nice stands in trees.  
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 6:26:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 7:53:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Built this for my dad. " target="_blank">

Probably about $600 with ebay playhouse windows.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 7:57:18 PM EDT
[#20]

How big do the deer get in Australia?
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 8:08:03 PM EDT
[#21]
At the Ultimate Outdoor Expo they had at the Kentucky Horse Park there were a couple manufacturers of tree house stands.  They came with frames for raising them off the ground.  The prices aren't bad but more than you wanted to spend.  If nothing else they are a reference to go off of when you are planning your build.

Link Posted: 11/14/2014 8:14:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

im leaning strongly for either telephone poles, or 6x6 posts, with pressure treated plywood, and a roof of some kind. . maybe 10 feet high ( prob 16' posts). most of my stuff is really steep, so not much height is needed anyway.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ikmdd_SO6iM/UdHJzIQHjTI/AAAAAAAAGOk/hmtuVP_Bsno/s640/20130531_115809.jpg

I learned years ago you don't need to be 30' up in a poplar.

Most of our old stands were homebuilt ladder types 12' to 15' off the ground. We never enclosed them due to bow hunting but all had a 4' X 4' platform made of 2 X 6s on a 2 X 6 frame with detachable (bolt-on/off) hand rails/rests for ML/rifle season. All had a free-standing 3' X 16" wooden bench in them.

We used treated lumber and 10 years ago it cost us near $75.00 a stand to make not counting the bench. Treated lumber is not cheap.

BTW....I've always found that plywood and stands don't mix. Squirrels chew the crap out of it....Even the treated stuff.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 8:14:35 PM EDT
[#23]
The family stand. We started building it this year.

I've been hunting in this when I'm alone.

Link Posted: 11/14/2014 10:17:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Nobody's posted the stock internet photo of the old pickup cab mounted on a raised platform called a redneck tree stand?
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 10:34:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 10:36:59 PM EDT
[#26]

Looks really easy to fall out of.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 12:46:12 AM EDT
[#27]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top