Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2014 10:18:27 AM EDT
I had a hammock in the basement for cool naps in the summer hanging from the ceiling. I had simple, large,  screw in "J" hooks  from the exposed floor joists.

One of the screws is cracking the wood, so the hammock is no longer safe.

Can anyone recommend any ways to hang the hammock in the basement safely from the ceiling?

Looking for something where each bracket is rated for around 200 lbs, just to be on the safe side.

Recommendations?
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 10:30:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Screw the hook horizontally into the joist instead of vertically.

Assuming it's open joists.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 10:30:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Get a big ass "C" clamp and clamp it to the joist. I have some I've used in heavy duty applications with no problem.

rated @2700 lbs.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 10:44:16 AM EDT
[#3]
So...is OP getting a new FAPSWING for moms basement?
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 10:45:02 AM EDT
[#4]
You should have drilled holes where you wanted to screw in the hooks.

To keep the joist from cracking when you screw in the hook, or any large threaded object, pre-drill a hole the size of the shaft minus the threads.

You could move the hammock a few inches one way or the other and hang it from the hooks you are using. Pre-drill the holes as suggested and the wood will not crack.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 10:49:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Sex swing in the dungeoun?

Please ensure it won't fall and hurt you :P
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 11:01:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sex swing in the dungeoun?

Please ensure it won't fall and hurt you :P
View Quote

Nothing is better than taking a nap in a hammock. I don't know anything about sex swings, nor do I want too.....at my age sleeping is more important.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 11:11:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Tag for real responses because I want to hang swings in my basement this winter FOR MY KIDS (really, they are not sex swings)
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 11:13:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Tag for real responses because I want to hang swings in my basement this winter FOR MY KIDS (really, they are not sex swings)
View Quote

Suuuuuure.

Not a tag. Or is it?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 11:27:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

It is open joists.

Link Posted: 10/27/2014 11:37:35 AM EDT
[#10]
If you're worried about it falling, you should start talking chicks that aren't emo/goth/ICP/MLP fans into going home with you.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 11:44:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It is open joists.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is open joists.

There is a much greater chance the hooks will bend or break if you screw them in horizontally and then put a load on them vertically.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 1:04:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If you're worried about it falling, you should start talking chicks that aren't emo/goth/ICP/MLP fans into going home with you.
View Quote

What?
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 1:15:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You should have drilled holes where you wanted to screw in the hooks.

To keep the joist from cracking when you screw in the hook, or any large threaded object, pre-drill a hole the size of the shaft minus the threads.

You could move the hammock a few inches one way or the other and hang it from the hooks you are using. Pre-drill the holes as suggested and the wood will not crack.
View Quote

This is the correct answer.  Too much lateral pressure from the shank will split the wood.  Remove some of the wood and you remove the pressure.  Don't screw the hook into the side of the joist as the hook wasn't designed to take the stress.  It can bend, it can wallow the hole out and come loose, or the lateral force can break the joist in half.  

If you want extra security, look for a swing set hangar like one of these:

Or these:

Link Posted: 10/27/2014 1:27:16 PM EDT
[#14]
What is the correct answer for engineered - wood I-beam style... you know, for a thing for the kids.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 1:31:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It is open joists.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is open joists.

Install blocking between two joists and screw your hooks into the newly installed blocking.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 1:35:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

What?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What?

Because they are fat.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 2:32:34 PM EDT
[#17]
What you are looking for are chainplates - basically a plate with screw holes drilled in it so you can attach it to the SIDE of the beam, with the with the screws going into the beam parallel to the floor.  Any solution that involves drilling into the edge of the beam will substantially weaken it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 2:38:31 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Install blocking between two joists and screw your hooks into the newly installed blocking.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is open joists.

This is the correct answer. Stop putting strange holes in the joists and add the appropriate structure.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top