Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/1/2001 5:58:11 AM EDT
http://www.channel2000.com/news/stories/news-20010129-225405.html

REDONDO BEACH, Calif. -- A woman trying to escape an alleged carjacker Monday morning was stabbed to death, while stunned passers-by looked on.

Complete description of what transpired  

According to Redondo Beach police, Diane Bragg, 67, was pulling away from the Red Robin Restaurant on Hawthorne Boulevard around 11:30 a.m. when a man forced his way into her Mercedes Benz sport utility vehicle.
As restaurant patrons and others looked on, the Bel Air woman threw open her door with the car still in motion and rolled out.

"She was obviously in fear for her life and tried to escape from the suspect," Redondo Beach Police Capt. Jeff Cameron told CBS 2 News Monday.

Witnesses told police that after Bragg fell to the ground, the suspect ... identified as 22-year-old Joshua Daniel Lee ... jumped out of the Mercedes in a fit of rage.

Lee allegedly pulled a knife and lunged at the distraught woman as she tried to flee.

"He attacked her in the parking lot in front of numerous witnesses, stabbing her a number of times," Cameron told CBS 2 News. "He left her on the ground with the knife, bleeding, and just walked away."

Sign repairman Greg McCorkell told a local news wire that immediately after the suspect dropped his weapon, by-standers shouted "Get him! Get him!"

McCorkell and Red Robin employee Jason Campbell evidently did just that.

"Me and my partner run after him," McCorkell recalled. "I tackled him, and he's on the ground and not even saying a word."

According to police, when Lee finally said something, he tried to make everyone around him understand that Bragg would not "cooperate."

The severely injured woman was rushed to County-Harbor UCLA Medical Center, where she was pronounced dead.

Lee is facing murder charges.

"He's a character that shouldn't be on the streets," Cameron told CBS 2 News. "He's in custody now at the Redondo Beach jail."
Link Posted: 2/1/2001 6:48:55 AM EDT
[#1]
What else do you expect from this society?  At least they tackled the guy after the fact and held him for the police.

What a losser, now he's going to spend the rest of his life, errr, I mean the next seven years behind bars!

TC
Link Posted: 2/1/2001 6:55:16 AM EDT
[#2]
BTW this is in a very large shopping malls parking lot at the entrance to the interior of said Mall.
The folks that work at that Red Robin are really young and mostly students.
It takes a while for your brain to register that you are witnessing a real murder, I think they did okay.
Hell, here in socal even the cops wonder if they are seeing an actual crime or are there movie camera`s somewhere.
Link Posted: 2/1/2001 7:04:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah California needs more gun control! Oops I'm sorry the assailant did not have a gun! What if the 67 year old lady would have had one? Maybe this punk dies instead of an innocent person! Or just maybe he thinks what if she is armed...I better not try to carjack her! Imagine that...People protecting themselves and not expecting the cops to do it fir them. That's one for Feinstein to chew on![rocket]
Lynn  
Link Posted: 2/1/2001 7:24:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Feinstein doesn't have to depend on police to protect her. She's already acknowledged that they can't. That's why she has a CCW.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top