Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2014 10:16:38 AM EDT
I come for GD's help in finding the cheapest place to buy a stihl chainsaw. Everyone around here wants full suggested retail price!!

Edit for update: bit the bullet and bought a new MS271.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 10:17:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Only Stihl dealers sell Stihl products. And they all go by the same pricing schedule.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 10:19:45 AM EDT
[#2]
first post and all that

Check craigslist. You might get lucky. Other than that, probably going to have to bite the bullet
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 10:25:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Well damn; not what I wanted to hear!

Thanks guys. Guess I will have to just bite the bullet.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 10:26:43 AM EDT
[#4]
I found my last one on the side of the highway.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 10:28:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Even when you find them on sale from an authorized dealer they are usually not very much off the MSRP.  Great chainsaws BTW.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 10:30:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
first post and all that

Check craigslist. You might get lucky. Other than that, probably going to have to bite the bullet
View Quote

Nailed it. Sucks, but sometimes you have to pay for the good stuff...
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 10:32:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
first post and all that

They're worth the  price IMHO.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 10:33:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Stihl products are very rarely sold below msrp. You could go used if price is a concern or get a different brand.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 10:34:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 10:39:02 AM EDT
[#10]
1.  Chainsaw Dealer who allows Trade-Ins
2.  Craigslist
3.  Pawn Shop

I got my Jonsered from a Stihl/Jonsered dealer. It was a trade-in which he cleaned, tuned, sharpened and warranted for 90 days for $150.00,  1/3 the price of a new Jonsered. It was about 5 years old, but runs strong and well worth the cheap price.

He had some Stihl and some cheap Homelites (for those that don't want to pay more than $50) that he took in, but the Jonsered was the best deal for me. He had a few Stihl that were a few bucks more, but they were more of the Professional Grade/larger sized than something I wanted for around the home.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 10:40:26 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Only Stihl dealers sell Stihl products. And they all go by the same pricing schedule.
View Quote
I learned this a few weeks ago buying a Stihl string trimmer.  It's true, just buy it.

FWIW I was told Cub Cadet is the same way.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 10:40:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
first post and all that

You're telling me, i wish they made a decent lawnmower so i could round out my collection.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 10:44:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I learned this a few weeks ago buying a Stihl string trimmer.  It's true, just buy it.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most professional grade equipment is this way. Want to shop around and price match? Enjoy your Poulan chainsaw and Troy Bilt lawnmower.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 10:46:51 AM EDT
[#14]
I have seen coupons for Stihl dealers in my area.  Sometimes they have sales or promos, but you are not going to save much.  

If you need it, just buy the saw.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 10:49:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Don't worry OP. I'm in the same boat as you, and am going to just get one. They're bullet proof.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 10:52:12 AM EDT
[#16]
I've also heard that while dealers won't come down on price, they *will* make deals with accessories. See if you can get them to throw in a spare chain and a case.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 10:53:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Check out the classifieds on arborsite.com

Generally, a good group of guys over there. I got a very lightly used MS441 with extra bars and a couple of chains for $600 delivered a while back.  (The saw alone is about $900).
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 10:55:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Buy a Dolmar
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 10:55:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Give it back.  My son had one slide out of the pickup bed awhile back.

That saw has been missing in action................until today.

gd
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 11:11:25 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View Quote
As a Stihl dealer I can tell you this is a fact. Much like Dillon reloading presses. One of the reasons for that is there isn't much margin to work with, $40-$60 on the smaller popular saws. Sthil doesn't floor plan your equipment, small guys get net 30 terms meaning a dealer has to pay up front for his inventory. Bigger operations will get their invoice split over 3 periods.

Nothing like large equipment, tractors & such where you have a free grace period in which you have time to sell the equipment before the invoice comes due. After the grace period you have to pay interest on the inventory or pay for it in full.

Sometimes to close a sale on a little larger saw we'll toss in a free chain or some mix oil.

The junk you buy at the box stores has a typical service life of 50 hours, and they have much higher margins. But it's truly throw away stuff as it is seldom cost effective to repair it.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 11:12:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Apply for a Stihl line of credit. 6 or 12 months same as cash depending on how much you spend. That's how I ended up with 2 chainsaws and 2 string trimmers.

ETA: Maybe CS223 could comment since he's a dealer.

Link Posted: 9/13/2014 11:13:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

gd
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

gd

He should have responded to all my "found" ads in Craigslist.  Bigger issue for you should be "Why is my son hanging out in Orlando's ghettos?"
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 12:12:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Like so many have said, Stihl does not discount saws very much and dealers are forbidden to sell over the internet under their business plan. You might get a few bucks off at a dealer wanting to move merchandise and maybe a extra chain or oil, but that's about it. I've bought 3 new Stihl chainsaws in my life and one brush cutter and the most I got off sticker was $25 plus a B&C upgrade

My advice? Dump the Stihl idea all together and start shopping Husqvarna online and at the dealer. Stihl makes mediocre, middling and pro saws. Their pro saws aren't junk and they are reliable, but in every power category and in every conceivable application, there's a better Husky pro alternative. Stihl spends oodles of money every year in advertising to make you think they make the best saws on the planet and guess what? It works well for the uninformed. JMHO from a former Stihl junkie who saw the light and now purchases Husqvarna pro equipment.

If you're looking at cheaper (less capable) consumer grade saws, I'd skip Stihl and Husqvarna altogether and look at Echo. They make decent saws with better filtration and a bit better construction than the bottom feeders from Stihl and Husky. Buy from a dealer and not from big box store. If you can work on your own equipment and don't mind not having a dealer close by (this varies obviously), look at Dolmar. Pro grade construction at consumer grade pricing. They tend to be a little heavier than the competition if that matters though.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 5:30:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Thanks everyone!!

I bit the bullet and just paid retail for a MS271. They did throw in a free extra chain.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 5:41:32 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

first post and all that

They gassed mine up, tested it, and gave me the whole lesson too.

You don't just buy a box - you get a saw that works... and works later when you need it.

It's an investment, and a good one.

Link Posted: 9/13/2014 5:44:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Stihl dealers often have used chainsaws, typically older models.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 6:02:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

You don't just buy a box - you get a saw that works... and works later when you need it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
first post and all that

They did this as well with the one I just bought.
Top Top