Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/5/2014 7:25:11 AM EDT
Looking for a Colt SP1 lower. Put an ad here on the EE.  Some guy sends me an email with pics of his lower. Seems legit. Doesn't look like a stock photo from a website. Pretty good communication via email. He used the right nomenclature for a sale( send to my FFl, etc). I asked if we could speak on the phone. He emailed me his number. When I called the number it just rang 6 times and then " the google subscriber you have called is not available. ". These lowers are rare, and his price is where it should be... Not some "super cheap deal". This sounds like a scam.. He replies fast, uses the correct gun verbiage, sent pics with accurate description... What do you guys think? I can't even think far enough ahead to send money to a guy like this without speaking to a real FFL that will keep it until he received my money. No way am I sending money without some legit 3rd party FFL moderating the deal. Very strange... Thoughts?
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 7:25:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 7:26:40 AM EDT
[#2]
What the hell is that? I'm not familiar with that.
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 7:26:55 AM EDT
[#3]
legit.  same thing when you dial me.  its called google voice.  its a virtual number, that forwards incoming calls and text messages to your real number.  i use it for all my in/outbound calls, idont even know my actual cell number.
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 7:26:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 7:27:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
he has a google voice number
View Quote

Sounds like a smart practice if you're going to be giving out a phone number to strangers.
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 7:27:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Quite a few people use google voice numbers.  Heck, all my numbers are cell or VOIP.
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 7:27:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Would you be worried if you got a 'Mailbox full' notice?
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 7:27:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 7:28:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

You can set up a google voice number for people to call when you don't want to use your real number, for people such as unattractive patrons at bars and internet wackos
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 7:29:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

You tell Google your real phone number.  They give you a new one which will redirect to your existing number.  You can give this number out to people so they can call you, but they won't have your real phone number.  If things get weird, you can always delete the account/remove the number and then you won't get weird people calling you any more.
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 7:29:20 AM EDT
[#11]
I use Google Voice for everything. i don't even know my phone number (I have to look it up on the rare occasions I use it).    My calls, VM, and texts are through Google.
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 7:34:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You tell Google your real phone number.  They give you a new one which will redirect to your existing number.  You can give this number out to people so they can call you, but they won't have your real phone number.  If things get weird, you can always delete the account/remove the number and then you won't get weird people calling you any more.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks. Well said. I copy what you are saying now.
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 7:46:54 AM EDT
[#13]
It was the best thing ever when I was dating.  :)  

Link Posted: 3/5/2014 7:54:12 AM EDT
[#14]
It also came in handy several years ago when I moved to a new state and kept my old cell number (for family & such) and the pizza guy refused to accept my out of state area code.  So I got a google voice number that was local and used that.
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 7:34:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Seemed legit besides " send me the money and I will send you my info and FFL info... no thanks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top