Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/11/2002 12:14:58 PM EDT
I stopped by my local PO to ship out a rifle today.

Me: This box contains a rifle. Here's a copy of the dealer's FFL to whom it is being shipped (because I didn't put the business name on the box, just the FFL holder's name).

Clerk: How much insurance?

Glad I don't live in one of those places you need to argue with the clerk to obey their own regulations. [}:)]

It's a little annoying that the insurance cost was 50% of the postage cost.
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 12:21:23 PM EDT
[#1]
The lady at my local post office expects me to have a firearm to ship when I come in. After all, I'm the guy who "schooled" her in the DMM regulations!
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 12:21:52 PM EDT
[#2]
They don't even need the FFL copy here...
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 12:34:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
They don't even need the FFL copy here...
View Quote

They didn't need it here, either. But since I was sending it to the name of the guy at the shop (I didn't want to put a very obvious gun-related name on the package) I brought the license along to identify the address as that of an FFL holder. Didn't want any problems.

Link Posted: 12/11/2002 12:48:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I didn't think I would have any problems here, but the guy at the counter(knows me by sight)says, "Is this a gun?"  Me- "Yes".  Him, "Sorry, can't do that."  Me-"Yes you can, read your regs.  Shotguns and rifles=OK, pistols, no."  He says I have to check with my boss.  Boss(only 10ft away), says, "he(me) sounds like he knows what he is talking about".  Rifle gets shipped.

I got pretty flustered about the whole thing, but the guy has been real nice ever since.
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 1:23:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I ship things by mail and United Parcel, the things sent by mail sometimes get lost/stolen, the things sent by UPS always get there. I have heard UPS is " 0 " tolerant on thefts, the Postal Service well, it happens a lot.
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 3:54:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have heard UPS is " 0 " tolerant on thefts, the Postal Service well, it happens a lot.
View Quote

UPS has such a large theft problem that they require that handguns be sent Red Label (at a 300-400% increase in shipping cost) so that they can track them more carefully.

The problem is so big and so insoluble from their perspective that they feel they should just charge the public extra money to keep an eye on their firearms since they can't hire employees that can be trusted not to steal.
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 6:01:51 PM EDT
[#7]
You dont need an FFL to ship a firearm.

EXAMPLE

From the ATF website

A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the state where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 6:24:37 PM EDT
[#8]
And you don't need an FFL to send a firearm to a gunsmith either, even if it's out of state, right?
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 7:32:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
And you don't need an FFL to send a firearm to a gunsmith either, even if it's out of state, right?
View Quote

As long as the gunsmith has an FFL.
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 7:44:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Postal Insurance is GAWDAWFUL expensive. However, I've since learned that it's cheaper to ship registered mail. Takes longer (USPS says to allow an additional three days), but it's more secure and cheaper.

Even at three times the cost, the USPS will still get my bidness over the UPS assfaces (sorry, [b]455SD[/b]).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top