Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/9/2002 7:12:13 AM EDT

I picked up the book "Ghost Soldiers" by Hampton Sides this last weekend.

This nonfiction book describes the fall of the Southern Phillipines, the Battan death march and the liberation of the Cabanataun POW camp by a small group of the newly formed Army Rangers.

This book is comparable to "Blackhawk Down" in the level of detail, research and drama. The author was able to interview many survivors and wade through much paper history to recreate this rescue.

The level of horror and atrocity heaped upon our men by the Japanese soldiers was beyond cruel. Our men were killed at random, forced into slavery, left to die without medical care. The healthiest were sent back to Japan into slavery to keep their military machine working.  

Anybody who is interested in WWII or Military history. Heck, any American, should check this book out.

BTW, I finished it in one night. Anybody want to trade for another GREAT military history type novel?

Maybe start an AR15 kind of book exchange?

What do you guys think?

-Z

Link Posted: 12/9/2002 7:14:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, I'd be interested in the read but don't currently have anything to offer in return.  I would, however keep it floating around the AR15.com library when I'm done with it.

Drop me an email if that's cool.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 7:16:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 7:17:01 AM EDT
[#3]
You are absolutely right. This a very good book. I actually book the book on tape for my dad whose eyesight is failing. A WWII vet himself, he cryed when he listened to it.

I got this book for Christmas last year. A very compelling read.

The courage and fortitude of both our past and present armed forces never ceases to amaze me.

You may not know this, but there was actually a B&W movie made about this raid back in the 1950's. Unfortunately it was a rather cookie cutter war film and not very compelling.

A modern film in the style of Black Hawk Down, Saving Private Ryan or Band of Brothers would be awesome.

Another pretty good WWII book is Hart's War. It is fiction but good. The recent movie with Bruce Willis, which was based on the book, was pure hollywood crap and missed the whole point of the book IMHO.
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 7:23:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Wave -

You should be very proud of your Philipino heritige. Especially if your grandfather was sympathetic (or active) with the American cause.

The local (Philipinos) militias were key in the success of the rescue and the liberation of the island. Local militias provided about 200 men to the cause. As well as logistical, intel and food. Also, during the march, locals provided food and water to the Americans at great personal peril.

Entire villages were wiped out by the Japanese that were found to be harboring American sympathizers or guerilla fighters.

-Z

Link Posted: 12/9/2002 7:48:33 AM EDT
[#5]
I agree,
An excellent read.

I was amazed at what those men went through.
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 8:10:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Ghost Soldiers is a book that has personal meaning to me. My grandfather was one of the first Rangers through the gate at the POW camp.

His name is Charles Sumner Swain. He passed away about 11 years ago.
On the front cover of the book, he is the second from the left in the second row....his face is partially blocked by a rifle from someone in the front row.

He only told me a few stories about the raid...one of them being his M1 jammed and he was tryng to ram a rod down the bbl when a Jap officer started yelling at him. He had a 1911 on his belt and was in the process of reaching for it when his buddy with a BAR literally cut the Jap officer in half with a quick burst.

Another story was belly crawling through the low grass and being just yards away from the Japs and they didn't know the Rangers were there.

After the raid, there was a LIFE magazine article devoted to them. My grandfather got his picture in Life magazine kissing his rifle.

I was too young (and stupid) to fully appreciate the magnatude of what they went through when he used to talk about it...both the Rangers and the prisoners. After reading the book, I have a better understanding of it. I fully reccomend it to all.
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 9:37:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Anyone want to mail me a copy and in return I'll mail one of the following:

Inside the crosshairs: snipers in Vietnam

The Perfect Storm

Stephen Hunter:
 The Second Saladin
 The Day Before Midnight
 Tapestry of Spies

email me if interested: [email protected]
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 10:06:27 AM EDT
[#8]
There is a book titled "Give Us This Day" by Sheldon or Shelton, I think, written by a Battan survivor. It will shake you up.

For me, there is no forgiving the japs for what they did in WWII. I despise their culture.
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 10:19:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Great story.  As I figured it is in development as a movie.

[url]www.countingdown.com/movies/ghostsoldiers[/url]
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 10:24:59 AM EDT
[#10]
[b]Entire villages were wiped out by the Japanese that were found to be harboring American sympathizers or guerilla fighters.[/b]

Entire villages were wiped out because they they were there. No reason was needed to kill the local populace for the jap's at that time.[:(]

Link Posted: 12/9/2002 10:47:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Yea, it was great! I got it from a friend who I believe got it from "Sam's Club". It was a audio book (you know a book on tape/CD). I got hooked into while driving and so did my 9 yr old son. I may have to give myself another for Christmas so he can listen or maybe he can start driving so I can sit back and listen.

Notice in the church bulletin: There will be no healing service this Sunday due to the pastor's illness.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 11:03:35 AM EDT
[#12]
GHOST OF BATAAN SGT. Major Abie Abraham, US Army Ret. ... 08/11/02 copyright
2001 Ghost of Bataan, Description: POW survivor Abie Abraham tells the real truth about the Death March and Prison Camps in Bataan.
Category: Society > Military > POW-MIA > World War II
ghostofbataan.com/

I have an autographed copy and highly recommend reading this book.

Abie does volunter work at the VA medical center in Butler, PA.  Quite an individual.

Edited to add his other book "Oh God Where are you"  Also an excellent read.

Link Posted: 12/9/2002 11:14:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 11:24:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
For me, there is no forgiving the japs for what they did in WWII. I despise their culture.
View Quote

Ditto for me. My family would be a lot bigger if it wasn't for them. My father was just a toddler during the occupation, but the stories my Aunts and Uncles have told me still gives me nightmares.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top