Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/7/2002 9:59:04 PM EDT
Suddenly there arose from the porch (or under the engine) a great clatter (or loud noise).

Today, I think I got a hole somewhere in the anterior part of my exhaust system--there is a loud noise from up under the engine (and under the hood), I push a rag up to the exhaust and seal it off, and there is no change to the engine running.  

I will not have a chance to get under the car until next weekend to try to patch it, but what to have handy when I finally get under there?  If it is something simple like a small hole, loose bolt, poor seal, etc, I can probably take care of it myself, but much more than that, and I don't have the time to hassle with it.  

What works best to patch small holes without replacing components?  

The vehicle in question is a 1994 Ford Explorer with 109k miles.  

Thanks!!

AFARR
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 10:03:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Ductape....

That will be 5 cents please.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 10:11:22 PM EDT
[#2]

Use JB WELD, it is an epoxy compound that will seal and bond metal, plastic, ect.  You can pick it up at any auto parts store.
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 11:07:27 PM EDT
[#3]
They sell kits at autoparts stores.
basically its a pre curved peice of sheet metal and some wire and usually some sort of epoxy.

You can cobble the stuff together from your garage if you want,  but for epoxy I recommend jbweld or some other sort of high temp epoxy.
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 11:19:43 PM EDT
[#4]
They also make a product called Muffler Bandage, It looks like alum. tape...
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 11:27:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
They also make a product called Muffler Bandage, It looks like alum. tape...
View Quote

That stuff usually blows/burns out after a while.
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 11:45:07 PM EDT
[#6]
yes, Jungle Bunny weld works well...for those special nigrig jobs

[red][b]Could you explain to the group how this post violates the terms of service and why I shouldn't call air support down on you? Please refrain from making posts of this nature as they are a violation of this site's policies and offensive to many who visit here. Besides, AFARR would probably be really upset with you if you got his thread locked for your inappropriate comments. Please check your email - BenDover(GD Moderator)[/b][/red]
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 11:49:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Depending what and where it is,  just get it fixed.  

Sorry,  something like that would drive me nuts just knowing something was wrong with my car.  And I would have to get it fixed.
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 5:23:27 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm sure one of these guys would be more than happy to plug your exhaust hole.

[img]http://www.gaydays.com/slideshow/slideshow2001/images/circuitdog/01_dis116.jpg[/img]

sorry I couldn't resist [;)]
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 6:04:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Maybe its the "doughnut" that goes on where the exhaust attaches to the manifold (if they still use them).  Just take the two bolts off the flange and drop the pipe and slip a new one on and reattach. But might be easier said than done due to no room and rusted and frozen bolts.
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 6:18:44 AM EDT
[#10]
You might want to check the header bolts and make sure that they are all tight. Usually, if any of them losen up it will start off as a light "ticking" noise and can develop, sometimes rather quickly, into a full blown monster truck sounding exhaust leak. You'd be surprised how loud a small leak comming directly out of the head can be.

If this is the case, it's probably too late to just tighten the bolts and you'll probably need to replace the gasket.

If it turns out to be a hole somewhere, depending on where it's at you should be able to take it to a muffler shop and they should be able to fix the hole, unless your exhaust system has turned into a rust encrusted blob where you might not have a choice but to replace components.

It should be pretty easy to figure out where it's comming from once you start seriously looking. You can always take a long pipe or tube and move it around your exhaust, with the car running, with the other end up to your ear. It'll get really loud when you're close to it.
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 6:31:13 AM EDT
[#11]
[url]www.midas.com[/url]

Should be an easy fix this way

Fred
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 6:38:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Just wrap the aluminum muffler tape with bare copper wire.Let it run in the driveway at idle to cure before you drive it.You might want to get the gasket were it "y"s into the cat converter and the one after.Heat fom the cat takes its toll on these two gaskets.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top