Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 10
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 3:23:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Grandson just had cursive in senior year of high school.  There is still a need for it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 3:29:07 AM EDT
[#2]
bah humbug! kids these days...I had to learn cursive and never use it so therefore they should have to learn cursive and never use it too!

But really, I remember spending a huge portion of my earlier school years writing cursive.......only to never use it after middle school.

Important to know how to read as well as write, but emphasis should be placed in other areas.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 3:30:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Sign Your Name Much?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm 30. Stopped using it in HS.

Waste of time.

Sign Your Name Much?

That's always been my question. How the hell do you sign your name? What is your signature? Do you just print it? So where it says print and sign you just print it twice?
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 3:34:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 3:39:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 3:42:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
They don't teach it anymore around here. I work with a guy, 20, can't read or write cursive.
View Quote

I have the same problem with a guy at work. I write all my notes in cursive and he can't read them

Maybe i should write them in text...U FU ^ BRO
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 4:06:53 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

How would you write out a check if you don't use cursive?

Not just the illegible signature scribbling....I mean the middle line where you write in the amount.
View Quote

In block lettering just like everyone else I know except my 92 year old grandfather...

The only cursive I ever write anymore is my signature. I try to remember how, but my penmanship hasn't advanced since the 5th grade, so it doesn't make my writing appear any more professional. In my trade, everything important is typed up anyway, and only my notes are hand written anymore.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 4:09:45 AM EDT
[#8]
I hope the OP is ok with the metric system...God I hate the stupid 1/16 of an inch shit.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 4:21:11 AM EDT
[#9]
useless, and the kids dont seem to be learning it like back in the day
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 4:29:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Taught it every year to my second and third graders.  Great end of the day activity.  Wasn't required and never took away from reading/math instruction time.

The main reason I taught it every year was because 99% of them were thrilled with learning and practicing it.  It was one of the only activities that could garner that much enthusiasm and buy in from the students.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 4:31:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Writing in cursive makes you appear educated and cultured.

I've never seen a printed scrawl that made me say, "now there is a guy who's too qualified for this job!"
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 4:39:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It's a sign of education and intelligence. Kinda like being able to read more than 120 words in one sitting.
View Quote

It is part of being a literate person.  Seriously, I hate young people today.  I hate watching them as they walk across the road with ear phones stuck in the ears.  I hate their useless I phones and I hate the way they document their every dump on facebook or twitter.  I hate the fact that they cannot write a real letter and I hate the fact that they eschew watches.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 4:39:55 AM EDT
[#13]
my kids are in 2nd and 3rd grade. they are being taught it at school. its a "College Prep" Private school if that matters to anyone
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 4:41:09 AM EDT
[#14]
My mom gets Freaked out about this subject. I mean she really gets worked up about it. I finally asked her the last time she had a fit "what is the purpose of cursive writing?"  

I got a blank state.

She's 70 she purposefully writes EVERYTHING in cursive now. Her cursive is very ornate but really hard to read  It's quite funny. She can barely function on a computer and she's been using one for 20 years.

Gr
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 4:44:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Writing in cursive makes you appear educated and cultured.

I've never seen a printed scrawl that made me say, "now there is a guy who's too qualified for this job!"
View Quote

Talk about shallow wow

Gr
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 4:44:59 AM EDT
[#16]
You can go nuts trying to read someones cursive hand writing.  Military doesn't use it.  Less mistakes.

Learning to read, write and spell is moe impotent. IMHO
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 4:46:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

It is part of being a literate person.  Seriously, I hate young people today.  I hate watching them as they walk across the road with ear phones stuck in the ears.  I hate their useless I phones and I hate the way they document their every dump on facebook or twitter.  I hate the fact that they cannot write a real letter and I hate the fact that they eschew watches.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's a sign of education and intelligence. Kinda like being able to read more than 120 words in one sitting.

Your a bitter man.....I agree with everything you wrote
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 4:46:24 AM EDT
[#18]
I have a hard time reading peoples cursive. Not that I do not know how, More so they suck at writing it.

Link Posted: 1/6/2014 4:56:17 AM EDT
[#19]

America is becoming a nation of morons that can't read, can't write, and can't even wear their fucking ball caps right side forward.

At some point, our nation will simply cease to exist. Wither and die.

Bunchafuckingmorons.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 4:59:39 AM EDT
[#20]
I'd rather my kid get more training in keyboarding than 18th century caligraphy.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 5:01:26 AM EDT
[#21]
I was taught it and it came in handy when I had to transcribe historical documents.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 5:11:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I'd rather my kid get more training in keyboarding than 18th century caligraphy.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 5:20:38 AM EDT
[#23]
It is a shame that so few seem to use it any more.

I think it is actually faster and easier to write in cursive over printing.

My mothers cursive is also very easy to read since she writes it properly.
(she same from the era where they actually cared about forming it properly)

Link Posted: 1/6/2014 5:22:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
From what I can tell, the only reason to learn cursive would be to stop people over 40 from grumbling. I'm 27, I learned it. Used it while it was required, then forgot it. I can still read it of course, but writing it would take a review of at least 20 minutes. And I'm not willing to commit that amount of time to it.
View Quote

Spot on
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 5:22:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Same here.  Military killed my cursive.  Can read it, but I doubt I could write it anymore.  I still use all caps when I write.

IMO it really is unneccesary today.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cursive was taught when I was a wee lad, but when I got in the Navy it was "write in all caps perfectly", which is what I still do twenty+ years later. Other than signatures, I never use it.

Same here.  Military killed my cursive.  Can read it, but I doubt I could write it anymore.  I still use all caps when I write.

IMO it really is unneccesary today.

Even worse - in OS "A" School at Dam Neck, I had to learn how to do it backwards very quickly. THAT was fun.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 5:24:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Cursive was taught when I was a wee lad, but when I got in the Navy it was "write in all caps perfectly", which is what I still do twenty+ years later. Other than signatures, I never use it.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 5:27:42 AM EDT
[#27]
I only use it for signatures.  Other than that it's useless and needs to go away.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 5:28:59 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

It went away with sir/ma'am, Mr./Mrs./Ms. etc...
View Quote

That never went away. I don't know how you can call yourself a southerner and say that.

Link Posted: 1/6/2014 5:29:03 AM EDT
[#29]

And that's why I use cursive.

It's a more refined script for a more civilized age.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 5:33:37 AM EDT
[#30]
Judging from lots of the writing in GD, we've also stopped teaching grammar, spelling and critical thinking.  I say screw it.  Throw it all out--literacy is for suckers.

Link Posted: 1/6/2014 5:34:22 AM EDT
[#31]
Of course it is important.  Unless you want to take 2x a long to write everything.

This country is so fucked!!
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 5:37:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Pretty sure it has nothing to do with the ability of the child to learn, and everything to do with the extremely limited time most teachers get to teach subjects.

I'd much rather children learn another language.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The idea that teaching anything takes away from being able to teach anything else is simply laughable, and says more about the person making that claim than anything about an intelligent child's ability to learn when taught by competent instructors.

Pretty sure it has nothing to do with the ability of the child to learn, and everything to do with the extremely limited time most teachers get to teach subjects.

I'd much rather children learn another language.

Here's my question, and I'll gladly admit that it's premise is based purely on my own observation, but here you go:  if teachers are so busy imparting upon our children an expanse of knowledge so great that it leaves no time to learn a written form of our own language, why are high school grads so ignorant these days?
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 5:40:04 AM EDT
[#33]
We all make choices about how we express ourselves to others.  When I write a personal note I write in cursive since it shows I give a damn.  I write personal or thank-you notes at least several times a year.  

I don't need to know cursive to get a 40 hour a week job and keep a roof over my head, but thankfully I'm beyond the survival stage of life.  All of you who have the spare time and resources to post to this thread aren't concerned with day to day survival either.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 5:42:09 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View Quote

Bitter old man.

I will say that I have a thing for watches though, I blame my brother.

Can't take away my music though.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 5:45:01 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I know how to read and write it, but still hate writing the letter z.  I really don't use it much anymore, just doesn't seem practical.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/6/2014 5:45:42 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

America is becoming a nation of morons that can't read, can't write, and can't even wear their fucking ball caps right side forward.

At some point, our nation will simply cease to exist. Wither and die.

Bunchafuckingmorons.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSDFj78pUlmQllJ9UBiqp6eNIKvwD8c1J39ZV9D5lIURfoVaawumQ
View Quote

Jumps.  j-u-m-p-s.

It's present tense!

Otherwise, you aren't using the letter "s."

The "d" and "e" are already in "dog and "the."
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 5:46:25 AM EDT
[#37]
My cursive is far neater than my print. It is significantly easier to write. I can write twice as fast in cursive on paper. I can read four times as fast in cursive on a dry erase board. I suppose I'm going to learn on Friday when I start teaching how well 18 to 19 year old undergrad students understand cursive.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 5:52:11 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Of course it is important.  Unless you want to take 2x a long to write everything.

View Quote
writing in cursive takes 4x longer than printing.  And it's harder to read.

Link Posted: 1/6/2014 5:56:00 AM EDT
[#39]
I learned it and was forced to use it until I hit middle school/jr high where I got "WTF is this shit?  No cursive!"  That trend carried over into high school and college.

But I guess I'm a neanderthal for thinking it has no use in today's society, just as we've stopped using latin.  And gasp, I don't see the need for a Poli Sci student to take a four credit biology class...because dissecting a frog will really help me in my career.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 5:58:52 AM EDT
[#40]
Other than my signature, I don't think I've written anything in cursive since my 7th grade journal entries.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 6:01:24 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

But I guess I'm a neanderthal for thinking it has no use in today's society, just as we've stopped using latin.  And gasp, I don't see the need for a Poli Sci student to take a four credit biology class...because dissecting a frog will really help me in my career.
View Quote

Education does not necessarily equal job training, especially with majors like Poli Sci.  Education is about broadening the mind for a more enriched life.  

Blame our large institutions for making the college degree some sort of entry level job cert, and blame yourself for buying it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 6:03:35 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
it is indeed a sign of education--it signifies that a person went to a school that still teaches cursive.  that's about it.
View Quote

And that's pretty important. The schools eliminating cursive are generally the same schools that produce mindless drones.

If you meet a person that knows cursive, you can safely assume that their schooling didn't consist mostly of being trained to take No Child Left Behind type standardized tests.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 6:10:54 AM EDT
[#43]
I think it's a valuable skill. How are these kid's signatures going to look without cursive?
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 6:13:44 AM EDT
[#44]
It is a more efficient way to write than regular print.  Although many apps are now typed, there is still a need to handwrite occasionally.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 6:14:41 AM EDT
[#45]
Uncle Sugar beat that shit right out of me during my career. 99.9% of my handwriting now is all block printing so it is easily legible for everyone.

Cursive used solely for signatures on checks and such.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 6:15:26 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Anachronistic waste of time.
View Quote

Yes, and you should NEVER read for yourself what's actually written in the Constitution. Trust me, I'll tell you what it says.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 6:20:36 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I'm 30. Stopped using it in HS.

Waste of time.
View Quote

41 here.

Cursive is fail and aids.

Link Posted: 1/6/2014 6:24:28 AM EDT
[#48]
Those that are thinking it is a lost art, I seriously think you can put it in the same league of why have a gun if it is not needed and used all the time.

That is my other pet peeve. I'm surrounded by COLLECTORS who never go shooting but everything has to be A1 brand new condition.

The only real benefit for me is that I assist some in getting stuff and in return, they give some ammo that comes with whatever they pick up.

Back to the topic, I think it is needed and necessary and at this day and age of emails and texting, sexing, twerking, flirting, whatever, it is needed.

Just like first aid.

I still send post cards and I keep it neat.

Friends and family are shocked and amazed like WOW, its a treasure to get a post card from overseas.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 6:32:23 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/6/2014 6:38:36 AM EDT
[#50]
I'm 32 and I stopped using cursive by 7th grade. All computers.

Children should learn to touch type, not write cursive.
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top