Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/30/2002 1:38:19 PM EDT
What do you guys think?  For a ccw gun, do you go for comfort like a pocket keltec p32 10rd mag with federal hydrashok, which you can't even feel.  Or do you go for something like a Glock or Sig 40 or 45., which is much harder hitting, but more bulky to carry and can be discouraging to carry for any length of time.  In a "this is not happening" situation you would always go for the glock or sig, but remember you have to carry 10 hours a day like I do.  I have tried both I seem to always carry the keltec.  (by the way don't rag me about the keltec it has never misfired, failed to extract and is pretty darn accurate for me)  Let's here some opinions and ideas!
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 1:54:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I carry either my Sig 239 .40 or a Sig 225 9mm, or a Sig 229 .40.

I find the 239 or 225 better for Conceled carry, the 239 being a little smaller than the 225 but heavier due to its stainless steel slide, the 225 is IMO a near perfect handgun as far as the fit of its grip, and balance.

Have not tried the Keltec, so I dont have a opinon of it.
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 2:06:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 2:10:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II.  The slim design in a .45 is great.  I carry in a fanny pack or IWB.  NO worries....  I think another consideration is a single stack magazine.  I can quickly stick a single stack in my back pocket and not worry about it again - this doesn't work for me in a double stack mag.

MHO,

Jeff
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 2:13:39 PM EDT
[#4]
colt 1991A1 is what I use.  6+1  with 1 spare mag.  If  you need more than that, you came unprepared! (ie: it's not your day)
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 2:27:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't see what the fascination with tiny guns for carry is.

The SIG will work fine. I carry and issued SIG P229 every day, concealed, all day, and any time I leave the house. I have a mini-Glock I bought a while back as a back-up gun for duty use, but I am so used to the SIG that I carry it all the time, anyway, and two spare mags, in one of the hottest states in the country. You stop thinking about it after a while. Just make sure you buy a good belt and a decent holster.
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 3:25:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I carry a mini Glock (33 in .357 Sig) and am quite happy with it as far as powerful round and small size that is easy to carry.  I use a blade-tech IWB holster.   Semms to work good for the glock, but with my Para P14 the blade-tech was not as great...
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 3:45:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Everyone starts with a great big heavy ultimate carry pistol,  then after a while they leave it at home because it's to big and heavy.  I've settled on a Keltec P11, 11 rounds of 9mm, double action, safe carry, one in the pipe, plastic frame, always goes BOOM when you pull the trigger, small and light.  I leave the 1911 @home because it would pull my pants down with the weight.
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 5:15:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Kimber Ultra CDP in 45 auto. I either use a small of the back holster or sometimes an in the waistband one. Sometimes I carry a Glock 27 in 40 cal.
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 6:31:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I carry an AMT 45 Backup. In cool weather its in my jacket pocket which means it can be in my hand at any given time ready to go. During warm months its in the waistband holster under a t-shirt, zero printing. No sights, DAO, 5+1 45acp. It meets my needs.
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 6:59:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Friends dont let friends carry mouse guns...if you shoot someone with it, and they find out, they are gonna be PISSED.

I've carried fullsize pistols my entire life.  Not because Im macho, but because I have a lot more confidence in my ability to hit with a full size gun.  I have a S&W Airweight .38 that I use as backup.  Im dangerous within 10 yards with that.  I tried a Kahr P40 for awhile, but my hands are just too damn big.  My thumb was either holding the slide release down (Im used to riding my 1911's safety) or bumping it up and locking the slide open with rounds still in the gun (curling my off hand thumb on top of the other didnt even help that).

With proper holster selection (Sparks Versa-Max and the Kramer Belt holsters are GREAT), I really dont mind carrying a fullsize gun all the time (1911s,Browning or SIG). One of these days Im going to get one of those Springfield Government Models with the aluminum frame - best of both worlds.

Real guns [:D]:

[img]http://www.printroom.com/_vti_bin/ViewImage.dll?userid=chrisv196&album_id=106356&image_id=0&courtesy=1[/img]

[img]http://www.printroom.com/_vti_bin/ViewImage.dll?userid=chrisv196&album_id=106356&image_id=1&courtesy=1[/img]
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 7:50:44 PM EDT
[#11]
S&W Airlite PD titanium .38.  Yes it is a bit underpowered but it is with me every day.  Unfortunately I am not a big bear so I cannot easily conceal a larger auto especially with light clothing.  The S&W is easily concealable under a light sweater or even Tshirt if need be, and it is VERY light!
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 8:02:34 PM EDT
[#12]
I carry a Keltec 32 in the front pocket all day every day. I move around ALOT at work all day and abig gun tends to get in the way. On the weekends I carry a compact light weight Springfield 45 6+1 inside the waistband.
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 8:21:52 PM EDT
[#13]
HK USP .45F. 10 rounds ('cause I'm too cheap to find prebans). It dissapears in the small of my back inside the waistband, but I only carry open where I can thanks to discriminitory laws in most states.

Question: You guys who top off the mags. I never do this because I always felt it might throw off my count. (going from 11 rounds to 10). Is this a problem for you, or is it something I shouldn't worry about and the extra round is a good idea?
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 8:31:25 PM EDT
[#14]
While we don't have CCW here in Ohio YET, I have a buddy who carries anyway and he carries a Keltec 9mm (P11?)which is small, light, concealable and always goes bang. I have put a few boxes of shell through it and it always behaved for me. I have heard some folks badmouth the Keltec line but my experience has all been good. I might have to buy one after Christmas. My brother has one in 40cal and the only bitch I have about it is the price of a box of shells.
Finnbear out
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 10:09:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Glock 19...Milt Sparks Exec IWB
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 1:57:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Question: You guys who top off the mags. I never do this because I always felt it might throw off my count. (going from 11 rounds to 10). Is this a problem for you, or is it something I shouldn't worry about and the extra round is a good idea?
View Quote

I'm sorry - you lost me.  You're worried about having too much ammo loaded in your weapon because.........?
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 3:37:05 AM EDT
[#17]
I have carried a Sig P220 45acp for the past four+ years, with HydraShok 230gr.  It is pretty heavy and cumbersome.

Now I am looking into getting a Glock 36 in 45acp for a little easier carrying.  Not planning on getting rid of the Sig, mind you, just want something a little more concealable when I need the concealability.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top