Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/28/2002 8:50:51 PM EDT
in court?
Link Posted: 11/28/2002 8:57:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't think so. And I'm glad. If I were to ever be a witness or anything in a trial I wouldn't swear on anything but the Holy Qu'aran. Not that I'm Islamic, but I really hate christianity.
Link Posted: 11/28/2002 9:11:10 PM EDT
[#2]
"Do you solemnly swear (or affirm) that the testimony you give is the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, under penalty of perjury?"

oath n.
A pronouncement swearing the truth of a statement or promise, usually by an appeal to God to witness its truth. An oath is required by law for various purposes, in particular for affidavits and giving evidence in court. The usual witness's oath is: [i]I swear by Almighty God that the evidence which I shall give shall be the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.[/i] Those who object to swearing an oath, on the grounds that to do so is contrary to their religious beliefs or that they have no religious beliefs, may instead affirm.

Link Posted: 11/28/2002 9:24:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/28/2002 9:26:43 PM EDT
[#4]

Strange how people will take an oath or swear with their hand on the very Bible in which Jesus says:

[i]"Again, you have heard that it was said to the people long ago, 'Do not break your oath, but keep the oaths you have made to the Lord.'

But I tell you, Do not swear at all: either by heaven, for it is God's throne;

or by the earth, for it is his footstool; or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the Great King.

And do not swear by your head, for you cannot make even one hair white or black.

Simply let your 'Yes' be 'Yes,' and your 'No,' 'No'; anything beyond this comes from the evil one."[/i]

~ Matthew 5:33-37

Go figure.
Link Posted: 11/29/2002 8:47:54 AM EDT
[#5]
In the many years I have worked in the legal field and the thousands of affidavits nad verifications attached on to Petitins and other various documents, I have never seen any reference to God.  When someone gives testimony in the courthouse there is no Bible present and they usually say "Do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, so help you God."  I think that the idea that you use a Bible is close to the same false belief that an officer will read you your Miranda rights before they arrest you.  By this, I mean the stuff movies are made of.  It doesn't happen like that in real life.
Link Posted: 11/29/2002 9:16:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Strange how people will take an oath or swear with their hand on the very Bible in which Jesus says:

[i]"Again, you have heard that it was said to the people long ago, 'Do not break your oath, but keep the oaths you have made to the Lord.'

But I tell you, Do not swear at all: either by heaven, for it is God's throne;

or by the earth, for it is his footstool; or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the Great King.

And do not swear by your head, for you cannot make even one hair white or black.

Simply let your 'Yes' be 'Yes,' and your 'No,' 'No'; anything beyond this comes from the evil one."[/i]

~ Matthew 5:33-37

Go figure.
View Quote

That wa the first thing I thought about too!  Even if you don't swear on anythingin particular...  My Grandma used to tell us not to swear all the time, the first few times, I thought: But I didn't say any bad words [>:/]

LOL

Would happen if you refused to swear???  If you said my religion doesn't allow me to swear?????  Would they hit you with contempt of court?
Link Posted: 11/29/2002 9:49:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Would happen if you refused to swear???  If you said my religion doesn't allow me to swear?????  Would they hit you with contempt of court?
View Quote

No, there is an alternate oath that goes, "Do you affirm that the testimony you are about to give is the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth."
Link Posted: 11/29/2002 9:53:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

No, there is an alternate oath that goes, "Do you affirm that the testimony you are about to give is the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth."
View Quote

As a Mennonite, I was given this one the one time I had to testify. But isn't affirming just a play on words? You are still giving an oath to tell the truth. What if you refuse to affirm? Based on your belief in God and what He said?

Scott

Link Posted: 11/29/2002 9:55:09 AM EDT
[#9]
When I did Jury Duty in a Criminal court this past June, I was sworn in "by Almighty God". I was very proud that it was still so.
Link Posted: 11/29/2002 10:25:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
When I did Jury Duty in a Criminal court this past June, I was sworn in "by Almighty God". I was very proud that it was still so.
View Quote

????
Link Posted: 11/29/2002 10:29:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

As a Mennonite, I was given this one the one time I had to testify. But isn't affirming just a play on words? You are still giving an oath to tell the truth. What if you refuse to affirm? Based on your belief in God and what He said?

Scott

View Quote

Frankly, I don't think so.  The alternate oath is just a formal way of asking, "Will you give truthful testimony?"  Responding "Yes" to that would be in accordance with the biblical admonition to "Simply let your 'Yes' be 'Yes,' and your 'No,' 'No'"  IMHO.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top