Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 11/25/2002 7:35:45 PM EDT
I rent a mailbox from a private agent, ( Pack and Mail ) so that I can receive packages without waiting at home for the UPS guy , and to insure against having things stolen off my doorstep. A lot of the stuff I get is Ammo and Shooting accessories, so it's worth paying a few bucks a month for peace of mind. (They sign for all deliveries.) They are also an official Postal Agent , which means they can receive mail delivered by the US Post Office. Today I went to see if I had anything in my box , and pay my annual fee. While the clerk was making out my receipt, I noticed a sign posted by the register. This is what it said- ( paraphrased ) [b]"We have been requested to inspect any package over 8 0z. delivered via UPS or FEDEX, and to verify the Identity of the receipient. The package will be opened in your presence, and you must provide photo ID" ..etc...[/b] By the time I finished reading this,(TWICE) my receipt was ready, and I pocketed it and left , too stunned to ask any questions of the girl behind the counter.[:O] So, it appears that Uncle Sam is worried that some RagHead might be sending me Anthrax or a Semtex party favor , and is dilligently taking steps to thwart their Evil plans. How Thoughtful.[rolleyes] My advice to all of you - Wash behind your ears , and be careful what you wish for. (and now the moral of the story) [b]" The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)[/b]
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 9:13:29 PM EDT
Go back and ask some questions.... Find out WHO gave them that authority. [IMG]http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/contrib/geno/321.gif[/IMG] That's what I think about it.
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 9:19:39 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 9:31:47 PM EDT
The easy answer is to just not do business with a private concern who takes it upon themselves to "inspect" packages. As a private business, they can set policy as they see fit. Yesterday, I actually read an article about the intentional privatization of internal surveillance efforts by Feds to skirt Constitutional limitations. I wish I could find the link.
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 9:55:31 PM EDT
Don't worry, people. This will probably be the least of our worries. In 5-10 yrs, military roadblocks will be a way of life here--and why not? Half of the world is used to it, why not us?
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 10:31:03 PM EDT
I'm not a lawyer either. If I tell you today that I am going to open your mail tomorrow when it arrives. I am still breaking the law when I open it tomorrow, even though I told you today. FEDEX and UPS are private companies so I'm not sure if opening somebody els's parcel is protected under the federal staute like US Postal stuff is. Therefore I doubt they will do it.
Top Top