Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2002 8:53:34 AM EDT
  A buddy of mine brought "Enemy at the gate" over last night. I had heard alot about this movie but never had a chance to see it.
  Although I prefer movies with US military in them,its not hard to understand the fight for survival in your own homeland.
  I knew a little about the fight for Stalingrad and some about the unbelievable loss of life,but seeing a picture about it puts it in a new perspective.
  What I didn't know ws the amount of politics involved as portrayed in the movie. I think it was a very good movie,and at the same time I realize that although some movies might be close to being realistic,NONE are 100%.

IMHO it gives me new appreciation for the sacrifices made by our men and women in the armed forces.

General Robert E. Lee described it best when he said "It is well that war is so terrible,we should grow too fond of it".

Link Posted: 12/1/2002 9:16:26 AM EDT
[#1]
I haven't seen it yet!
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 9:21:52 AM EDT
[#2]
I have, good flick.

PONY_DRIVER
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 9:23:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Some of the movie is contrived crap. But some of it is real. I have read several scholarly works on the battle for part of my history degree.  

In Stalin's army, the political officers shooting the conscripts was common.  Officers could easily find themselves executed for failure in battle.  The level of hardship was extreme on both sides.

If I recall correctly, out of the approx. 360,000 men in the German 6th Army about 10,000 survived.  The last of the german prisoners were released in 1955.  If you were lucky your trip to Russia lasted 13 years but you lived.

How about a price check on that Mauser sniper rifle???  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top