Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/15/2002 8:32:47 AM EDT
Today's paper says that we have lots of these here that employ thousands of workers, but some of the companies are researching a move to the Phillipeans.

Maybe I don't get out much but I have never heard of this type of business or talked to anyone who has worked for one. Is this the same as a tele-marketing company?
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 8:40:26 AM EDT
[#1]
A call center can be alot of things....

When you order something from tv by calling the 800# you are calling a call center, if your calling tech support for av equipment or an ISP you are calling a "call center" There are alot of different things it could be this is a couple examples....

I work at an ISP call center [:(]
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 8:47:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 8:51:31 AM EDT
[#3]
And, don't forget the hated telemarketers!

Offshore locations allow them to continue operations after state or national laws are created to prevent their efforts.
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 8:51:35 AM EDT
[#4]
A call center is hell on earth!!
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 9:28:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
A call center is hell on earth!!
View Quote

Tell Me About It!!!!!! I'm in it right now.
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 9:31:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Gotta agree with Mouse_Killer on this one.  Definitely HELL ON EARTH
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 9:36:38 AM EDT
[#7]
A call center is where you call to get a call girl.
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 9:39:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
are researching a move to the Phillipeans.

View Quote

Firstly, it is spelled Phillipines. Named after King Phillipe of Spain. It was claimed that the various species of pine trees were King Phillip's Pines. Therefore Phillipines.

Secondly, call center is where most of the customer service is done. It is basically a part of an organization where all call are funeled thru. This make the other depts more efficient in doing their jobs rather than spending their time answering calls. Most large service oriented organizations will have call centers. I.E. cable companies, telephone companies, etc.
View Quote

Actually, it is spelled Philippines.  ONE L two Ps
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 9:41:26 AM EDT
[#9]
A call center is a place where your call is ignored in the order it was received.
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 9:41:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Gotta agree with Mouse_Killer on this one.  Definitely HELL ON EARTH
View Quote

It's Unanimous ... Call Center = HELL ON EARTH  

Link Posted: 11/15/2002 9:47:28 AM EDT
[#11]
my wife works at american express CALL CENTER she the one you bitch at when they charge you at late payment fee.even though your payment was late.
so next time if anyone of you call a credit card company,don't call them every name in the book,it,s  not the employees fault ie late payment fees,overlimit fees stuff like that just think if that was your wife daughter mother on there being called bitch and anything else you can think off!
plus im tired of hearing off all the wining!
she been there 10 years she has killer benifits!
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 9:51:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Well, I'm an engineer working for a company that develops Voice over IP Call Center solutions, and the news doesn't surprise me in the least.

Many companies are moving their Call Center operations to overseas locations (India is particularly popular) due to the inexpensive labor.
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 9:57:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 10:00:54 AM EDT
[#14]
"Many companies are moving their Call Center operations to overseas locations (India is particularly popular) due to the inexpensive labor"
0ne of the biggest complaints my wife says she gets about india from card members is that they can't understand them!
she said some told her if the keep calling and getting them people from india that they where going to cancell there card.
wages are cheaper eventually everthing is going to be moved overseas and we all are going to be unemployed so then who is going to buy there stuff or use there credit cards.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top