BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/15/2002 8:14:59 AM EDT
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 8:19:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 8:20:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Without Remorse is one of his better ones.

John Clark(Kelly)'s background is detailed.  Jack Ryan has only a bit part, but his father plays a major part.

Bear And The Dragon is not that great, but you may disagree.

Link Posted: 11/15/2002 8:23:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Alright I can't stay away from here:

hahaha

Without Remorse is a good book really suprised me.  Mr. Clark goes highspeed low drag.

John Clark from Clear and Present Danger, the leader of the squad of Spec-ops that were operating inside Columbia.

Link Posted: 11/15/2002 8:27:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 8:27:31 AM EDT
[#5]
I would second Without Remorse.  Probably one of my favorites of Clancy.  Also,
Debt of Honor is pretty good, IMO.

Link Posted: 11/15/2002 8:31:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Sum of All Fears

So much better than that POS movie, the book has great characters and is a great read.

Check it out!

Link Posted: 11/15/2002 8:38:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Really, you should read them in order.  Because, as mentioned before, you get a lot of slight character development.  Clark starts in Clear&Present and then you see him again in Cardinal of the Kremlin, and so on.  So the best bet is to read in order starting with (the best) Red October and moving through Red Storm, etc.  Usually the books are listed in order in the inside cover.

just my .02 [beer]
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 8:39:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Read them all loved them all. Patriot games was pretty slow.
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 8:48:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Without Remorse
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 10:16:10 AM EDT
[#10]
I've just started reading Sum of all Fears again. It is one of my favorites.

Shoot I thought Cardinal of the Kremlin was the slowest one. But I still liked it well enough.

Red Storm Rising is a very good story but is totally unrelated to the rest of the books. A complete stand alone story.

Reading the books in order allows you to watch the different characters grow.
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 10:18:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Without remorse is definitly a favorite... just checked it out to read again.
dp
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 12:42:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Chronologically, Patriot Games is the first book about Jack Ryan, then follows Red Rabbit, then Hunt for Red October, then Cardinal, Clear and Present, Sum of All Fears, Debt of Honor, Executive Orders, Rainbow Six, the The Bear and the Dragon.  Without Remorse is Chronologically the earliest, but doesn't concern Jack Ryan other than a passing reference.

I like that Clancy is going back and filling in some gaps in Ryan's career.  Once you hit the Oval Office, the opportunities for adventure and gripping literary exposition tend to thin out a bit.  More early Clark stuff would be nice as well. The Rainbow Six stuff has limited interest since many CT missions are pretty similar.
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 12:55:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
, then follows Red Rabbit
View Quote

?
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 12:57:35 PM EDT
[#14]
If I were reading them all again, I'd do it in cronological order of the story (as opposed to publication).  The order for that would be:

1.  Without Remorse
2.  Patriot Games
3.  The Red Rabbit
4.  The Hunt for Red October
5.  The Cardinal of the Kremlin
6.  Clear and Present Danger
7.  The Sum of All Fears
8.  Debt of Honor
9.  Executive Orders
10. Rainbow Six
11. The Bear and the Dragon
12. "HITS" (due out around 8/04)

According to the [url=http://www.clancyfaq.com/ryanvers.htm] Clancy FAQ[/url], "HITS" will be the last book in the Jack Ryan universe.
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 12:59:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Red Rabbit is Tom Clancy's latest book.  It's about a Kremlin plot to assasinate the Pope in the early 80's.
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 4:50:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Just finished Sum of All Fears. It got REALLY into detail, was REAL long, but a good read, I thought.
AB
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 6:13:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If I were reading them all again, I'd do it in cronological order of the story (as opposed to publication).  The order for that would be:

1.  Without Remorse
2.  Patriot Games
3.  The Red Rabbit
4.  The Hunt for Red October
5.  The Cardinal of the Kremlin
6.  Clear and Present Danger
7.  The Sum of All Fears
8.  Debt of Honor
9.  Executive Orders
10. Rainbow Six
11. The Bear and the Dragon
12. "HITS" (due out around 8/04)

According to the [url=http://www.clancyfaq.com/ryanvers.htm] Clancy FAQ[/url], "HITS" will be the last book in the Jack Ryan universe.
View Quote

What about Red Storm Rising? I didn't see it on the list.

I would also suggest reading them in chronological order.

I would also suggest any books by Larry Bond the co-author of Red Storm Rising.  Start with Enemy Within.  It's about arab terrorist using various tactics, small arms to bombs, to attack Americans.  This book was written several years ago but it probably more relevant now.

Link Posted: 11/15/2002 6:21:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Red Storm Rising is a stand-alone book that is not set in the "Ryanverse".  It's a great book, don't get me wrong, but I was only listing the books that include Jack Ryan.

I like Larry Bond too.  I haven't read anything new of his in years though, think the last was Red Phoenix.  He also co-wrote Red Storm Rising, btw.

Also, check out [url=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index=books&field-author=Brown%2C%20Dale/104-4683319-4075141] Dale Brown's stuff[/url] if you get a chance.  It's very serialized like Clancy's work.
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 6:27:35 PM EDT
[#19]
My two personal favorites are Cardinal of the Kremlin and The Bear and the Dragon.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top