Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/19/2013 9:16:43 AM EDT
I love the artist Norman Rockwell, and I'm going to bet that a lot of you guys do too. This article shows a few higher-res copies of Rockwell's paintings for the Boy Scouts of America, and offers some analysis:

"One of the first things that struck me was the variety of styles and techniques that Rockwell used. Almost every painting in the exhibit had a different feel to it; using a little texture or a lot, smooth painting surface or rough weave, limited palette, high key or low key, all of them felt like Rockwell, except one, but I will get to that.

Photographs of paintings can never capture everything that you see when viewing a painting in person, but I find that when I take notes, along with photos, many of the observations I made while at the museum have more meaning when I go over them back in my studio. Also, if my photography is good, I often find some details or insights that I missed in person. Let’s get started."

"I think from now on, if someone disparages Rockwell as a painter, I will show them this shot of Washington’s head and tell them they can’t stop looking until they change their mind or agree to never comment on art again. There is so much artsy magic going on here, I don’t know where to start. The way he used the canvas texture, the paint texture, the color of the ground, the splashes of color throughout the flesh tones (look at the daub of yellow on his forehead) and then the glazing and wiping out that left intense blues in all the valleys creating a strong relief of the paint texture. Admire the hands and the economy of brushwork. Bow down to the vibrancy in the shadows! Build a small shrine leave a bowl of fresh cherries for the way he handled the impasto in the hair!!"

Close-up of Washington's head: (I'm linking to the image because it's sooooo big that it'll fill up the whole browser page.)

http://muddycolors.blogspot.com/2013/10/norman-rockwell-american-originals.html
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 9:20:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Linky doesn't seem to work.
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 9:31:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Oops, sorry about that! Link fixed and added more to the OP.
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 9:50:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Outstanding!
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 9:54:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 9:54:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Phenomenal.
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 9:56:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Did all men have chin divots back then?
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 9:59:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did all men have chin divots back then?
View Quote

Just the real ones.
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 10:15:02 AM EDT
[#8]
You can see the close-up high res images in their full glory if you open the images up in a new window:

Here's an example.
And another one.
Look at the texture here, amazing!
As well as here.
He's so fantastic!
Top Top