Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/16/2013 3:58:16 PM EDT
[#1]
only pinnacle
Link Posted: 9/16/2013 3:59:19 PM EDT
[#2]
OSB is an acronym for "Old Shitty Board"

You need 4 sheets of whatever for that size room (8x16)..  If you're going to be running a business, spring the extra 50 bucks and put in something that does not suck.  You will have enough to think about other than if your floor is going to hold whatever you want to put on it steady enough.

Link Posted: 9/16/2013 4:00:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wouldn't use it if you gave it to me.  Every few years the breathless cries of "But it's been improved--this stuff isn't crappy like the old stuff!" comes up.  Same shit, different iteration.  Still shitty.  

That said, if you are renting, use it.  If you own the building, or otherwise don't want to put up with the problems inherent in it, use plywood, preferably 3/4" tongue-and-groove fir.
View Quote

This and screwed and glued. Rock solid.
Link Posted: 9/16/2013 4:01:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wouldn't use it if you gave it to me.  Every few years the breathless cries of "But it's been improved--this stuff isn't crappy like the old stuff!" comes up.  Same shit, different iteration.  Still shitty.  

That said, if you are renting, use it.  If you own the building, or otherwise don't want to put up with the problems inherent in it, use plywood, preferably 3/4" tongue-and-groove fir.

Yup.   Floored, staying floored.
Link Posted: 9/16/2013 4:09:36 PM EDT
[#5]
OSB is crap.

3/4" T&G CDX is standard for 16" on center joists. Some older buildings have 4x joists 4' o.c., if that's the case you'll need 1 1/8" CDX.

Glue the joists and gun nail down with ring shank 8s, 10s if you go with 1 1/8".
Link Posted: 9/16/2013 4:54:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is my answer as well - OSB sucks.
Link Posted: 9/16/2013 5:17:09 PM EDT
[#7]
repair the damage

sheet the floor with 1/8" luann

drop sticky tiles

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/16/2013 5:25:15 PM EDT
[#8]
I am a building contractor. I will not use OSB. I also will not use 3/4 T&G plywood from Home Depot or Lowes. They sell yellow pine 3/4T&G. The pine is affected by moisture in the air. Go to a real lumber yard and get 3/4 fir T&G plywood. It holds up better than the OSB and pine. The fir plywood from a real lumber also generally has more layers than the T&G from  Home depot and Lowes. The extra layers make the plywood stronger and has less deflection in-between tho joists. I would use a sub-floor adhesive with 8P ring shank nails . If you use screws don't use black drywall screws, use a decking screw.
Link Posted: 9/16/2013 5:31:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Nope. I've done it several times.
For some reason, the really cheap sticky tiles seem to stick better to OSB than the nicer Armstrong ones.
Fine the clearance $0.28/piece ones at Home Depot and stick away
Speed  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
3/4" T&G OSB is pretty standard for floors around here. Generally, a decent company will glue it to the joists to prevent squeaking.
It's fine. Hell, i used it on for floating floor when I expanded my retail shop. Part of it I carpeted, and the rest I put sticky tile right on top of.
3 year later and someone else is leasing the building and using it now
I only see the better custom builders using real plywood for floors.
Speed

Did you have any problem putting the sticky tile over it?

Nope. I've done it several times.
For some reason, the really cheap sticky tiles seem to stick better to OSB than the nicer Armstrong ones.
Fine the clearance $0.28/piece ones at Home Depot and stick away
Speed  

Shit is going to stick to OSB because you are gluing glue to glue.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2013 5:33:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
OSB is about all I see used for sub-floor around here. My own home however, has plywood sub-floor.
View Quote

A lot of folks may go cheap to cut costs.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2013 5:40:55 PM EDT
[#11]
OSB sucks.....This from a guy who almost got clocked  in the head from a OSB gusset plate that came apart today.
Link Posted: 9/16/2013 5:41:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I am a building contractor. I will not use OSB. I also will not use 3/4 T&G plywood from Home Depot or Lowes. They sell yellow pine 3/4T&G. The pine is affected by moisture in the air. Go to a real lumber yard and get 3/4 fir T&G plywood. It holds up better than the OSB and pine. The fir plywood from a real lumber also generally has more layers than the T&G from  Home depot and Lowes. The extra layers make the plywood stronger and has less deflection in-between tho joists. I would use a sub-floor adhesive with 8P ring shank nails . If you use screws don't use black drywall screws, use a decking screw.
View Quote

Strange how the same lumber company sells wood to the local Home Depot and the local overpriced lumberyard.
Sometimes the same truck delivers to both places.

Home Depot sells 15/32 in. 4 ft. x 8 ft. CDX Fir Plywood.

Link Posted: 9/16/2013 5:45:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Look into advantech. Its is like osb with some kind of coating that makes it water resistant. They use it in residential flooring, boats and trailers.
View Quote

Advantek FTMFW

Been using it for I can't remember how long.

It's good shit.

With all due respect to the above posters they don't know what the fuck they're talking about.

I'm sure none of these "experts" have ever seen (insert brand here) 3/4 t&g plywood delam either.
Link Posted: 9/16/2013 6:05:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
osb on floors

hell no

plywood all the way

osb sucks on floors pretty much anywhere

carpenter here for many years

osb does not hold up
View Quote

FIFY

I wouldn't use OSB anywhere, for any project where I had any say in the material selection. Let it get wet, or even damp, in a situation where it can't dry fairly quickly, and it'll swell up for a while and then revert to the splinters and flakes it was made with.
Link Posted: 9/16/2013 6:06:37 PM EDT
[#15]
If you have any type of humidity at all, you will replace the OSB in 5-10 years , maybe sooner. Don't tell me it's waterproof, between the moisture and the traffic it'll come apart.
Link Posted: 9/16/2013 6:14:17 PM EDT
[#16]
I would go with tongue and grove Georgia Pacific DryPly 3/4" Plywood.  In my opinion it's the best subfloor out there. That's what I use on nearly every job.

Most builders around here are hung up on Advantech OSB.  It's supposedly has a 120 day exposure no sand guarantee now, I think they've recently upped it.

Link Posted: 9/16/2013 6:27:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Advantek FTMFW

It's good shit.

With all due respect to the above posters they don't know what the fuck they're talking about.

I'm sure none of these "experts" have ever seen (insert brand here) 3/4 t&g plywood delam either.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Look into advantech. Its is like osb with some kind of coating that makes it water resistant. They use it in residential flooring, boats and trailers.

Advantek FTMFW

It's good shit.

built close to 300 homes here. was the construction manager for a bigger home builder here for a long time

built 6 custom homes myself and consulted on many others over the years

Osb sucks on floors. i will not use it it is okay for wall sheathing

yes plywood can delam but that is hard as hell to do and you must have either mistreated it or had crap product on the job site.

The last home i built went for close to 500k.

i would not use it in florida. the salt and humidity would destroy most osb

i will take 3/4" tg douglas fir plywood any day of the week.

Link Posted: 9/16/2013 6:29:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

This^^^ a better grade of OSB. I used this in my boat when I remodeled it. It will hold up to indirect moister, but an underpayment would be needed for the tile.
Link Posted: 9/16/2013 6:35:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

16'x8'?  That's not a building, it's a room.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We're opening up a retail shop in the next few months. I've been given a building that we can remodel and use. I need to re floor the building. It's not big (16ft wide 8 ft long I think) and was wondering if OSB would be ok for flooring. We're planning on putting down vinyl tile (the sticky kind from lowes) after the flooring is finished.

I've read mixed opinions: some say OSB is ok, but plywood is highly recommended. Any thoughts on using osb for flooring? At $37 a sheet for plywood, it's eating up our budget quick. OSB is a lot cheaper, but is it sturdy?

16'x8'?  That's not a building, it's a room.

It's not really a room, more of a cell.

4 sheets of plywood.  $150 with tax?     $60 difference between plywood and OSB?    

There may be a time to shave pennies, but this isn't one of them.
Link Posted: 9/16/2013 6:54:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/16/2013 7:08:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Self stick tiles will not work well on OSB. You will need a smooth
underlay  for the tile to bond to.
Link Posted: 9/16/2013 7:14:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/16/2013 7:30:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

That's true, we'll have a 300 pound printer on it along with a 500 pound laminator
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OSB has no structural integrity whatsoever. Plywood does. Couple that with the fact that once it gets wet it essentially turns into sawdust(it's basically sawdust and glue) and you get the idea.
Use the tng 1 1/8 plywood this is what we use for pier and beam floors that have heavy loads. We also put the floor joists every 12" .Its easier to spend the money now than to have to go back and redo it . It obviously costs more to do it twice Not to mention damsge to equipment if there is a catastrophic load failure.

20 years exp.

That's true, we'll have a 300 pound printer on it along with a 500 pound laminator

Link Posted: 9/16/2013 7:31:15 PM EDT
[#24]
I have seen heavily varnished OSB used as commercial flooring to good effect.

ETA: That had concrete underneath.

Link Posted: 9/16/2013 7:32:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is the answer
Link Posted: 9/16/2013 7:41:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Lots of opinions on osb, one thing Ive seen left out is that most 3/4" osb for flooring has a lifetime warranty.
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 3:35:11 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Lots of opinions on osb, one thing Ive seen left out is that most 3/4" osb for flooring has a lifetime warranty.
View Quote

OSB will warranty the sheet not the labor involved in replacing it. If you have tile, carpet, on a wall on top on top of it thats all on you.
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 5:47:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top