Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 11/1/2002 11:04:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/1/2002 11:06:31 AM EDT by Torf]
Want to add a Spellchecker to your browser? This handy little piece of code will spell check your typing in any text box on the internet. I used to have to copy text to MS Word[b]**[/b] to spell check stuff on the Net, but not anymore! To use it, create a text document containing the following text: [b]
oShell= new ActiveXObject("WScript.Shell"); oShell.SendKeys( "^c" ); //copy oWord=new ActiveXObject("Word.Application"); oWord.Visible= true; oWord.Documents.Add(); oWord.Selection.Paste(); oWord.ActiveDocument.CheckSpelling(); oWord.Selection.WholeStory(); oWord.Selection.Copy(); oWord.ActiveDocument.Close(0); oWord.Quit(); var nRet= oShell.Popup( "Apply changes?\nClick OK to replace all selected text.", 0, "Spell Check Complete", 33 ); if ( nRet == 1 ) { oShell.SendKeys( "^v"); // paste } [/b]
Save this file as "Spellcheck.js" and place this .js script file in your Windows\Temp folder. Create a shortcut to this script file on your IE explorer bar where links go. Rename the shortcut to "Spellchecker". Now you are ready to rock. [red]TO USE: Highlight the text in your post, and hit the shortcut. [/red] The script will automatically paste the text into MS Word, spell check it (with your help), and copy it back to your post. [b]**You must have MS Word installed for this script to work![/b] -credits- Code by: Dan Rollins Printed in: PC Magazine - 9/3/2002
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 11:09:49 AM EDT
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 11:12:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/1/2002 11:14:58 AM EDT by Torf]
I have never ever gotten that thing to work! [;)] It just sits there, and sits there, and sits there... ...and sits there, until I hit the "STOP" button and say "Heck with it". Besides, the utility works on [b]ANY[/b] site on the internet, not just my favorite one! [:)] BTW - I tried it again, just now, and I waited no less than 30 seconds, and gave up.
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 11:14:34 AM EDT
I always get an error when trying to use the spellchecker.
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 11:26:07 AM EDT
I clicked on the shortcut to run this script, and norton anti-virus went nuts. Are you trying to kill us??
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 11:30:38 AM EDT
No, your protection level is probably a little too high to allow running of scripts. Read the code, it is fairly self-explanatory.
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 11:35:38 AM EDT
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 12:19:14 PM EDT
BTT once...
Top Top