Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/18/2013 5:40:06 AM EDT
he sure acted like it this morning before a 10 lb landscaping stone landed on him.

Link Posted: 6/18/2013 5:40:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
he sure acted like it this morning before a 10 lb landscaping stone landed on him.

<a href="http://s1010.photobucket.com/user/mr357_photos/media/8BFD97D2-A677-4129-89D1-E649F4F30B54-22042-000018B8B1966651_zpsb3480e8b.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1010.photobucket.com/albums/af221/mr357_photos/8BFD97D2-A677-4129-89D1-E649F4F30B54-22042-000018B8B1966651_zpsb3480e8b.jpg</a>

No.  Typically a rattlesnake has a rattle
Link Posted: 6/18/2013 5:41:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Nope.
Link Posted: 6/18/2013 5:42:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/18/2013 5:42:44 AM EDT
[#4]
poor guy
Link Posted: 6/18/2013 5:43:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
In before some snake lover bitches about you dropping a stone on it.

Baby black racer. They have a pattern like that until they grow a little and turn all black.  Bad kill.
Link Posted: 6/18/2013 5:44:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Is that DrSalee's missing snake?
Link Posted: 6/18/2013 5:46:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Non venomous snakes will rear up and do the striking thing when threatened.   It's really cool, unless you're one of those pussy-men who just wants to kill them all.
Link Posted: 6/18/2013 5:46:28 AM EDT
[#8]
That sure does look scary.  What is that, a foot long?
Link Posted: 6/18/2013 5:47:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Baby black racer. They have a pattern like that until they grow a little and turn all black.  Bad kill.

SHIT!

he kept coiling up and smacking his tail up and down like a rattle snake. I though for sure he was baby who hadn't molted enough to grow rattles. fuck!

I always give non venomous snakes a free pass. damn it.
Link Posted: 6/18/2013 5:48:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
That sure does look scary.  What is that, a foot long?

If it was hot, then it would be fully lethal at birth IIRC.
Link Posted: 6/18/2013 5:49:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Non venomous snakes will rear up and do the striking thing when threatened.   It's really cool, unless you're one of those pussy-men who just wants to kill them all.

yeah i feel yeah. I don't kill every snake i come across but i know the type you are talking about. i feel awful now.
Link Posted: 6/18/2013 5:50:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/18/2013 5:50:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

SHIT!

he kept coiling up and smacking his tail up and down like a rattle snake. I though for sure he was baby who hadn't molted enough to grow rattles. fuck!

Except they have rattles.

Link Posted: 6/18/2013 5:54:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Learn how to recognize a pit viper.

Or,

Crush them all, let God sort them out.

I tried to get close enough to see if his head was arrow head shaped but he kept coiling up and thwaking his tail. I'd never seen a non venomous snake do that. and I haven't seen but one rattle snake in the wild and it was an adult timber rattler out on new symrna beach.
Link Posted: 6/18/2013 5:56:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/18/2013 5:56:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Mistakes happen.  Just learn from it and move on.
Link Posted: 6/18/2013 5:56:58 AM EDT
[#17]
No looks like a baby racer..young have camo until they get bigger
Link Posted: 6/18/2013 5:57:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Baby rattlesnakes have little rattles.  You killed a harmless (to humans) predator.

Adult racers kill rodents.  Little ones eat cockroaches, crickets, and whatever else they can catch.

Link Posted: 6/18/2013 5:57:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed. Bad Kill.
Link Posted: 6/18/2013 6:01:34 AM EDT
[#20]
The Black Rat snake does not have rattles but rattles when frighted it freaked me out when I first heard it.

Just in case you don't believe me I found a video on Youtube first time I saw a snake do this I jumped like a little girl.

Link Posted: 6/18/2013 6:02:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

SHIT!

I'll cut Howie some slack because he alaways seems to be a good guy in the FLHTF. Almost all snakes, including racers and rat snakes, will rattle their tails when frightened. Also, a very small rattler may have a very small rattle which is impossible to hear. I've also seen big ones with the rattle completely broken off. So Howie, in the future, rattling of the tail does not automatically mean rattlesnake.

http://fieldherper.com/fieldherper/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/C-atrox-10-081409.jpg

Link Posted: 6/18/2013 6:02:40 AM EDT
[#22]
I will not fault him for that . It is better to err on the side of caution.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/18/2013 6:04:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

SHIT!

I'll cut Howie some slack because he alaways seems to be a good guy in the FLHTF. Almost all snakes, including racers and rat snakes, will rattle their tails when frightened. Also, a very small rattler may have a very small rattle which is impossible to hear. I've also seen big ones with the rattle completely broken off. So Howie, in the future, rattling of the tail does not automatically mean rattlesnake.

http://fieldherper.com/fieldherper/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/C-atrox-10-081409.jpg

Edit: to fix my above post, which got all jumbled up.
Link Posted: 6/18/2013 6:05:22 AM EDT
[#24]
We have a few rattlers around here but not many.... but, we do have a lot of water moccosins and copper heads.

you can pick out a coper head very easily but, water moccosins aren't easy to tell what they are at distance....  there are water snakes that look exactly like them that aren't poisonous.  If they're in the water, you can tell because the water snake only will have the head at the surface and the water moccosin ... the entire snake will be on the surface....   The head is different on a water moccosin too.   Honestly, I'll shoot the water snakes too and then have a closer look to see what it was for sure.

Out where I'm at, we have a lot of snakes or, it sure seems like it... I've killed 5 snakes this year so far.... 2 copper heads and 2 water snakes and one moccosin.

If you see the snakes you can stay away but, my dogs aren't snake trained and, I've grown pretty fond of my dags.  Mostly they stay inside and have a fenced dog run but, there are a lot of snakes out here.  I'd just prefer to get rid of anything that looks venomous.
Link Posted: 6/18/2013 6:09:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/18/2013 6:10:15 AM EDT
[#26]
Gopher snake.  Used to catch them all the time as a kid....had my Red Ryder locked & loaded just in case they got out of line.  

Brought a big one back from the fields one time, threw him in a friend's pool when his teenage sister was in there.  She totally freaked out, while us boys laughed and watched.  Then we swam with the snake in the pool.  It was fun to swim underneath while he swam on the surface.

Link Posted: 6/18/2013 6:12:53 AM EDT
[#27]
We have a few rattlers around here but not many.... but, we do have a lot of water moccosins and copper heads.

you can pick out a coper head very easily but, water moccosins aren't easy to tell what they are at distance....  there are water snakes that look exactly like them that aren't poisonous.  If they're in the water, you can tell because the water snake only will have the head at the surface and the water moccosin ... the entire snake will be on the surface....   The head is different on a water moccosin too.   Honestly, I'll shoot the water snakes too and then have a closer look to see what it was for sure.

Out where I'm at, we have a lot of snakes or, it sure seems like it... I've killed 5 snakes this year so far.... 2 copper heads and 2 water snakes and one moccosin.

If you see the snakes you can stay away but, my dogs aren't snake trained and, I've grown pretty fond of my dags.  Mostly they stay inside and have a fenced dog run but, there are a lot of snakes out here.  I'd just prefer to get rid of anything that looks venomous.
Link Posted: 6/18/2013 6:14:23 AM EDT
[#28]
Kiss it.  Its the only way to really tell.  

Post AAR pics of your lips.  

ETA
Diamond/ triangular shaped head is good indicator of a poisonous snake.  

Slender / smooth spoon shaped head typically non venomous.  

Link Posted: 6/18/2013 6:14:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/18/2013 6:27:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Its a bull snake they are harmless. They try act like a rattle snake. A venemos snake will have eyes that are slits a bull snake will have round eye. They are common out west.
Link Posted: 6/18/2013 6:40:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Herp Derp.

Link Posted: 6/18/2013 6:43:34 AM EDT
[#32]
This is a baby rattlesnake ...from Montana

Link Posted: 6/18/2013 6:54:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

yeah i feel yeah. I don't kill every snake i come across but i know the type you are talking about. i feel awful now.

Perhaps one should make an effort to study a field guide to avoid such mistakes in the future.
Link Posted: 6/18/2013 7:03:00 AM EDT
[#34]
I've said this before, and I'll say it again, head shape is very subjective and is a poor way to ID snakes.  Most snakes, when  stressed or agitated, will flatten there heads out to look more threatening, many also, will vibrate their tails.

Learn to recognize patterns of both adult and juvenile snakes.  
Link Posted: 6/18/2013 7:11:08 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I will not fault him for that . It is better to err on the side of caution.

Link Posted: 6/18/2013 7:20:55 AM EDT
[#36]
It's a juvenile racer.
Link Posted: 6/18/2013 7:23:53 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Learn how to recognize a pit viper.

Or,

Crush them all, let God sort them out.

I tried to get close enough to see if his head was arrow head shaped but he kept coiling up and thwaking his tail. I'd never seen a non venomous snake do that. and I haven't seen but one rattle snake in the wild and it was an adult timber rattler out on new symrna beach.

Our local gopher snakes all do the tail shake. It's extra tricky when they're ass up against dry brush.

Link Posted: 6/18/2013 7:24:02 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I've said this before, and I'll say it again, head shape is very subjective and is a poor way to ID snakes.  Most snakes, when  stressed or agitated, will flatten there heads out to look more threatening, many also, will vibrate their tails.

I'm not so sure about that. Maybe if one is unfamiliar of or not very perceptive it is a poor way but i used to own pythons and such. I took one look at OPs snake even never having seen one before and knew it wasn't venomous and am almost always right.  I do get tripped up on coral snakes and their mimics though.
Link Posted: 6/18/2013 7:33:36 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not so sure about that. Maybe if one is unfamiliar of or not very perceptive it is a poor way but i used to own pythons and such. I took one look at OPs snake even never having seen one before and knew it wasn't venomous and am almost always right.  I do get tripped up on coral snakes and their mimics though.

Black Rat Snake

Timber Rattlesnake

The shape of the head is subjective.  That rat snake has a head that's flattened/puffed out and this rattlesnake has a head that isn't as angular as your normally see.

Head shape will always be dependent on the eyes of the observer.  However, there's nothing subjective about color and scale patterns.  I don't know how many times people have called me to come look at the mean old copperhead/cottenmouth that they've killed with the triangle shaped head to find that it's nothing but a northern watersnake.
Link Posted: 6/18/2013 8:04:12 AM EDT
[#40]
Hmm i thought timber rattlers were green. I guess I was wrong, googleing I see that green rattlers are not even supposed to be in the Black Hills, were i was told it was a timber rattler.. The rat snake was easy but then again I had a few of them, lost them being the great escape artists they are. Rats and corns are easy, lack of bulging eyes, no pits and large scales with a skinnier body than rattlers. Im not disagreeing with you that patterns are best but there are so many phases of rattlers and rats i thought it would be tough to keep up with them all.
Link Posted: 6/18/2013 8:05:31 AM EDT
[#41]
Not even close.
Link Posted: 6/18/2013 8:08:18 AM EDT
[#42]
garter snake

edit........yup baby black racer........
Link Posted: 6/18/2013 8:14:03 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Hmm i thought timber rattlers were green. I guess I was wrong, googleing I see that green rattlers are not even supposed to be in the Black Hills, were i was told it was a timber rattler.. The rat snake was easy but then again I had a few of them, lost them being the great escape artists they are. Rats and corns are easy, lack of bulging eyes, no pits and large scales with a skinnier body than rattlers. Im not disagreeing with you that patterns are best but there are so many phases of rattlers and rats i thought it would be tough to keep up with them all.

What green rattlesnake are you talking about?  Are you referring to the Mojave Green? You are probably seeing prairie rattlesnakes as timber rattlsnakes don't get that far west.....

The timber rattlesnake has a variety of colors, from very tan, to all black, but they all have black tails with chevron crossbands and most have a chestnut-brown stripe running along the dorsal spine.
Link Posted: 6/18/2013 8:14:45 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 6/18/2013 8:16:08 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Does anyone have a pic of a baby rattler?  I mean like 8" long and overall tiny.  I found one at the front door to my cabin, and noticed it had a VERY triangular-shaped head, so I killed it.  I tried to find pics via google and got nothing.  It was overall dark brown with no diamond pattern, or very faint.  Anyone know what they look like?  I'm sure the triangular head was tell-tale.  

Quarter for reference.  Was around 8" IIRC.

C.Scutulatus.

And here's a C.Cerastes that was about 5"-7".

And a bit bigger C.Helleri

Link Posted: 6/18/2013 8:16:23 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

The black hills are full of prairie rattlesnakes.  It isn't uncommon for them to be green in wooded areas.

Link Posted: 6/18/2013 8:23:00 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Quoted:

What green rattlesnake are you talking about?  Are you referring to the Mojave Green? You are probably seeing prairie rattlesnakes as timber rattlsnakes don't get that far west.....

The timber rattlesnake has a variety of colors, from very tan, to all black, but they all have black tails with chevron crossbands and most have a chestnut-brown stripe running along the dorsal spine.

It was a rattler that was green like a pine tree I found in the black hills about 15 years ago.  Mojave? couldn't be. Its way out of its range.

Looking around see that both timbers and prairies both come in green.
Link Posted: 6/18/2013 8:25:21 AM EDT
[#48]
Baby snakes
Late at night is when they come out
Baby snakes
Sure you know what Im talkin about
Pink n wet
They make the best kinda pet
Baby
Baby
Snakes
Link Posted: 6/18/2013 8:25:29 AM EDT
[#49]
FYI a good way to flush snakes out of their hiding spots is with those colored smoke balls that can be found at grocery stores depending on region you live in.  Most snakes hate sulfur and that is a primary ingredient in snake-away, flushes them right out of drains, etc before wacking them.  Doesn't work so well on moccasins since they are accustomed to sulfur smell in swampy areas...but works very well for the other venomous ones.
Link Posted: 6/18/2013 8:27:20 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a snake.......therefor good kill.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top