Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2002 6:31:04 PM EDT
Howdy all, long-time listener, first-time caller.

Anybody know what, if anything, forensics can determine from marks on ejected brass?  I mean, is there any difference between extractor and ejector widths and clock positions on the bolt faces of different rifles?  Just curious re the sniper investigation.
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 6:37:40 PM EDT
[#1]
i'd say they'd have to have something to compare "evidence brass" to.  unless they have a database of this type of information (like the television shows!).

about the only thing i can think of (off the top of my head) that you can get from brass collected at a crime scene (without comparing it to anything else) is whether or not is was a Glock and the caliber.  [:D]
Link Posted: 10/20/2002 5:55:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Investigators might look for several things while examining brass found at a crime scene.

The first is a human fingerprint left on the brass if the shooter was careless enough to load his weapon with bare hands.

Powder residue inside the case would be tested to determine what powder was used and if the cartridge was reloaded or factory ammo.

The extractor and ejector marks would be examined to try and determine what type of firearm was used. The configuration of these marks would be checked against a data base for this determination.

The extractor, ejector, and firing pin marks would be microscopically compared to cases found at other crime scenes to determine if the same weapon was used in all of the crimes. The machined surfaces of the extractor, ejector, and firing pin, leave a unique imprint (or fingerprint) where they contact to brass. Rough surfaces in the firing chamber can also leave a unique imprint on the outside of the brass case.

If a suspect is found and his weapon is recovered, test cartridges would be fired and the extractor, ejector, and firing pin marks would be microscopically compared to cases found at the crime scene to help tie the suspect to the crime.  
Link Posted: 10/20/2002 6:04:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top