Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/18/2002 5:18:02 AM EDT
I finished this book not too long ago and wanted to pass on that I thought it was outstanding.  It was written by one of the founding members of Delta Force, retired Command Sergeant Major, Eric L. Haney.  How he obtained clearance to write this, I don't know.  One revelation in this book was his stated belief that the U.S. knowingly abandoned approximately 150 POWs in Viet Nam.  He also writes of his experiences during Operation Eagle Claw (Iranian rescue mission), invasion of Grenada and counter-sniping in Beirut.  If these are subjects that you would find interesting, you won't go wrong by plunking down the $18 for a copy.

Link provided for a better description of the book.

[url]http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0385336039/qid=1034946066/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/102-7495680-6000917?v=glance&n=507846[/url]
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 5:53:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 12:13:10 PM EDT
[#2]
btt for the evening shift.
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 12:28:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I just recieved this book free in an eBay auction.
I'll soon be sticking my nose in it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 6:52:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Very Good read, But I would also recommend the Book- Delta Force by Charlie Beckwith. It goes into the detail from the man who founded the whole thing.
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 6:05:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Some of the good things the good 'ol Sgt. Major wrote are not quite accurate.

Don't forget that he is trying to sell his book, and now he sells himself as a consultant to news agencies.  He is especially popular on the "newsmags" Extra and the like.  He is not "pro-gun" by any stretch, and only believes in firearms training/ownership by LEO and Military.  He has burned a lot of bridges, and made some enemies of once good friends because he decided to use them to further his own personal agenda.

He did not get clearance to write the book.  When asked why, he stated that the Military is too inflexible (in his opinion) on certain things, and he felt that he was justified divulging his knowledge without prior approval.

To answer any question, yes I did read the book.  However, I refused to buy it as I didn't want a penny to go into his pocket.
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 6:36:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Excellent Book,
I love all the training and hostage rescue scenarios they have, it's very detailed.
The Delta book by Beckwith is an excellent read as well.
Thanks Parker
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top